(06)

Secrets

=== 

7 and a half months ago

Tiffany was surprised when a silver sports car pulled out in front of her. She glanced around and returned her gaze to the car thinking it was nothing. The window was rolled down a second later and she wasn’t able to contain how surprised she was when the petite girl smiled at her. 

“Hop in!” Taeyeon opened the door and the brunette hesitantly got inside. “Hi, beautiful.” Her smile widen when she saw her cheeks turn pink. “Hungry?”

“A little…” Tiffany said meekly and fastened her seatbelt to hide her pink cheeks.

“Then let’s grab something to eat.”

=== 

Tiffany never felt this nervous before. She had been to numerous dates but this particular one constantly made her heart beat faster. She could feel her heart beating out of her chest when the petite girl slipped her hand into hers, holding to it gently. She turned towards her but Taeyeon didn’t spare a glance and continued on watching the movie like nothing happened. At that moment, she wasn’t sure if things were moving quickly. Holding hands on the first date is not bad at all, right? She asked herself and tried to ignore the nagging feeling inside and resumed watching the movie. 

The movie ended before they knew it and Taeyeon stretched her arms as she waited for the other people to leave. “How was it?” 

“It was fun.” Tiffany slowly looked up from her lap and her eyes widen when she felt the soft lips pressed against her cheek lightly.

“Good to know.” The petite girl grinned before standing up. She held out her hand and beckoned her to take it to which the brunette hesitantly did. “Do you want some ice cream?” She tilted her head as she looked at her expectantly. 

“Sure.”

“Great!” She dragged her out of the movie house and back to the parking lot.

=== 

“So Tiffany…” Taeyeon started as she scooped the remaining ice cream in her cup. “You and Jessica are friends?” 

Tiffany chuckled at the smeared ice cream on the girl’s face and quickly wiped it with the napkin. “She’s my childhood friend. Her dad and mine are good friends, she’s like family to us.” She stopped dabbing the napkin on Taeyeon’s mouth when she realized what she had done. “I’m sorry…” She sheepishly smiled.

“No, it’s fine.” Taeyeon took the napkin from her hand and intentionally lingered for a second. “I met her in high school.” She smiled after wiping clean and setting the used napkin aside.

“Ah, she mentioned that before.”

“She did?”

“Yeah. When we met the first time in that café.”

Taeyeon nodded and observed the brunette. “You wanna ask me something?” She chuckled when the other girl averted her eyes. “Go on, you can ask me anything.”

“How come you work at the café?” Tiffany asked carefully.

“What do you mean?”

“You…” She glanced at the petite girl’s watch. It was very expensive, she knew, her father owned one with that exact same brand. “You seem like you can buy stuff…” She raised her brows when the girl chuckled and propped her chin on her palm. 

“I need extra money.”

“For what?”

“I have needs.”

“What needs?”

“Just stuff…” Taeyeon shrugged nonchalantly. “Stuff I don’t wanna ask from my mother.” 

“Oh.” Tiffany grew quiet after her question had been answered.

“I’m not rich, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Excuse me?” Tiffany lifted an eyebrow at the insinuation.

“Oh. I’m sorry.” Taeyeon straighten up in her chair. “I don’t mean to offend you. I know you’re not one of them.” Her smile was stiff as the brunette looked at her skeptically. “Hwang Industries? Right?” She furrowed her brows as she wasn’t sure anymore if the information she got was right. 

“What?”

“I swear I’m not after your money.” Taeyeon raised her hands. She grabbed the brunette’s hand swiftly when she was about to leave. “If it makes you feel any better…” She looked at her anxiously and sighed in relief when she took her seat again. “Ever heard of Kim Enterprises?” She asked quietly.

Tiffany raised her brows in question. She had definitely heard of that company. It was one of the leading financial businesses in the country and her father has strong ties with them. “You work for them?” She got even more confused when the petite girl chuckled.

“Sort of like that… Uh… How do I say this…” Taeyeon scratched her head as she thought of ways to explain herself.

“Wait. What’s your name?” The brunette asked as the realization hit her.

“Taeyeon?” 

“No, your complete name.”

“Kim Taeyeon?” Taeyeon furrowed her brows in confusion. 

You’re Kim Taeyeon?!” Tiffany covered by reflex when the other girl pressed her finger against her lips, gesturing her to keep it down.

“What do you mean by that?” 

“You’re the company’s heir!” Tiffany tried not to raise her voice but failed miserably.

“No, I’m not…?” The petite girl averted her eyes and fiddled with her empty cup instead.

“It’s only our first date and you’re already lying to me?” Taeyeon looked up at those words and grinned that made the brunette confuse. “What?”

“Does that mean there will be more dates to come?” She chuckled when the other girl narrowed her eyes at her. 

“I don’t think there will be more if you can’t be honest with me.” Tiffany leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms.

Taeyeon crinkled her nose in disapproval but the girl had a point. “Fine. Yes, I am. But please keep this between us, okay? I want a peaceful life.”

Tiffany gasped at the confession. She had heard a lot about the only daughter of the company’s president but never had the chance to meet her in person. The person she had in mind was the complete opposite of the person who’s sitting across the table, smiling awkwardly, wearing only a simple white shirt and ripped jeans. Everything finally made sense to her now. The luxurious sports car, the expensive wristwatch, and the café she’s working at. “You lied twice.”

“What?”

“You’re rich. Very rich to be exact.”

“What? No.” Taeyeon waved her hand dismissively. “My mother is, not me.” She laughed lightly when Tiffany looked at her skeptically. “I’m as broke as everyone else in campus. That’s why I work at the café.”

“But you own the café.” 

“Just a tiny bit of it.”

“How tiny is tiny?”

“To be honest, I really don’t know.” Taeyeon shrugged nonchalantly. “My mother won’t tell me and the profit goes immediately to my savings which I have no control of. I don’t even know if there’s anything in that account. She may be lying for all I care.” She shrugged again before taking a sip from her glass of water.

“That’s kinda hard to believe, Taeyeon.”

“You make it sound so sweet when you say my name.” Taeyeon grinned as Tiffany tried to ignore her reddening cheeks.

“Stop avoiding the topic.”

“But I’m telling the truth. Believe it or not, I don’t have any access to my savings accounts.” She paused for a while. “Oh, wait. I actually have an access to one of them. It’s the only one I’m allowed to manage. And it doesn’t have much. The pay at the café is not that generous.” She shook her head at how small she’s getting paid for being a barista at the small shop.

“Okay, fine. I believe you.” Tiffany held out her hand to stop the other girl from sharing more information. “You’re telling me too much.”

“Does it turn you off?” Taeyeon waited anxiously for the girl’s response.

“I… I don’t know… Aren’t you afraid you’re sharing too much personal information to someone whom you just met?”

“Why would I be? It’s you. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“What?”

“Would you use it against me? Are you that kind of person?”

“Of course not.”

“Then there you go.” Tiffany was quite taken aback at how calm the other girl was. “We’re splitting the bill, right?”

“What?” 

Taeyeon laughed at the girl’s reaction. “I’m just kidding. I’ll pay for these as well.” She stood up and patted her pockets for her wallet. “I’ll be back.” She smiled before going to the counter to pay for their ice cream.

Tiffany just watched the petite girl settle their bill and chatted with the cashier for a moment. The sight made her curious. There was something about Taeyeon’s personality that made her want to know more about this seemingly simple girl. Unlike her exes, she was humble, outspoken to some extent but doesn’t sound arrogant, to name a few. And she was the cutest, if she may add. She had wrapped everything up in her head as the other girl walked back to their table. 

“Ready to go?” 

“Sure.” Tiffany didn’t hesitate to take the girl’s hand this time. She didn’t miss how Taeyeon smiled widely at her but pretended not to notice it. 

“Then, let’s go.”

=== 

The walk to the park was too short for Tiffany’s liking but it was getting late and she needed to go home sooner or later. Their first date wasn’t what she had expected it to be but it was fun. Taeyeon was a great company, she thought. The girl has a lot of quirks that she found endearing. She was witty when answering questions and couldn’t seem to run out of things to share. “Too bad our date has come to an end.” The voice startled her and didn’t realize they were already at the station. “Are you sure you don’t want me to drop you off at your place?”

“It’s okay, I’ll be fine.” Tiffany unfastened her seatbelt and prepared herself to leave.

“Are you sure?”

“I am. You don’t have to worry. It’s not my first time taking the train at this hour.” Tiffany chuckled at how worried Taeyeon was.

Taeyeon wanted to insist more to drive her home but decided against it. “Take care on your way home, okay?” 

“I will. You take care too, drive safely.” She was about to open the door but the petite girl held her arm to stop her. “What is it?” 

“There will be more dates to come, right? I don’t mean to be pushy or something but I feel like we clicked so well. I mean… there’s this connection… You know… like…” Taeyeon stopped immediately when the brunette kissed her cheek.

“Of course. But I really need to go now. I’ll call you when I get home.” Tiffany was just as flushed and bit her lip to suppress her smile. “Good night.” She leaned in to kiss her on the cheek again before getting off the car.

The sound of the door being closed finally snapped her out of her thoughts and she held her tingling cheek. “Damn. What a babe.” Taeyeon tried her best not to squeal at the memory of Tiffany blushing and just smiled instead. The smile on her face never left as she drove her way home. 

===