(05)

Secrets

=== 

8 months ago

“One café latte please.” Tiffany handed her money as she waited for the cashier. 

“Your name please?”

“Tiffany.”

“Alright.” The young man nodded as he wrote the name on the cup. “Your drink will be served in a moment. Kindly wait at the side until your name is called. Good day.” He gestured at the end of the counter and smiled.

“Thanks.” She returned the smile as well and took the nearby chair as she waited.

Tiffany: Where are you?
Jessi: Walking.

Tiffany shook her head at the reply. She looked around the almost empty café and saw her friend walking leisurely towards the entrance.

“One café latte for Tiffany!” She heard the barista calling out her name and stood up immediately.

“Thank you.” She took the cup from the counter and didn’t miss how brightly the young petite girl smiled at her. 

“What are you doing here?” Jessica appeared behind her.

“Getting coffee? What else?” Tiffany furrowed her brows at her friend’s question.

“No, not you Tiff. You.” The blonde pointed at the barista.

“Me?” The girl raised her brows while pointing at herself.

“Who else, Taeng?” Jessica answered flatly which made the smaller girl chuckle.

“I’m working here.”

“Why?”

“I need extra money.” 

Tiffany looked at the two curiously and glanced at the girl’s nametag. Taeyeon; that was what’s written in the small silver nameplate. She had never met this person before and Jessica had never mentioned her as well. By the looks of it, she assumed that the two were close friends.

“Extra money for what?” Jessica looked at Taeyeon skeptically.

“I have my needs.”

“What needs?”

“Oh, you know what.” Taeyeon winked at her friend who grimaced in return.

“Let’s just go, Tiff.” Jessica waved the other girl off and grabbed her friend’s arm. “Bye, Taeng.” The petite girl smiled and waved at them before they exited the café.

“Who was that?” Tiffany asked as soon as they stepped out the door.

“My friend from high school.”

“How come you never mentioned her before?”

“Why would I do that?” Jessica looked at her curiously.

“I don’t know.” The brunette shrugged before sipping her coffee. “What’s this?” She turned the cup when she saw some scribbling under her name. “Have a great day, beautiful?” She read it slowly and inadvertently looked back at the small café. 

“Oh god.” She heard her friend mumble.

“What’s wrong?” 

“I can’t believe that midget.”

“Why are you so mean to her, Jessi?” Tiffany tilted her head in confusion.

“I’m warning you, don’t go out with that midget.”

“She’s hitting on me?” Her eyes widen in shock. “But it could have been that other guy who wrote that message.”

“I know her handwriting. This is definitely hers.” Jessica pointed at the messy handwriting on the brunette’s cup.

Tiffany didn’t say a word as she stared at her cup and followed her friend until they reached the parking lot.

=== 

Tiffany placed her books on the study table before slumping on her chair. It was a long day at school and she couldn’t wait for the weekend to come. She grabbed her bag from the floor and rummaged through it to retrieve her phone but the sight of the empty cup from the café caught her attention. She couldn’t recall why it was there in the first place and was about to throw it away when she saw something under the cup. There was a row of digits, presumably someone’s number, and the words call me written on it. Thinking it was just a silly note, she threw the cup in the trashcan but took it out a moment later after staring at it. She placed it on the shelf instead before going to the bathroom to freshen up.

=== 

“One café latte please.” Tiffany handed her money as per usual.

“Morning.” It wasn’t the young man who was usually at the cashier but it was the new barista instead. She was smiling brightly at her like what she did 3 days ago. “One café latte.” She input her order in the monitor then took the bills. “Name please?” She looked at her expectantly as she held the cup and pen.

“Tiffany.”

“Okay. One café latte coming right up!” The petite girl went about the counter to prepare her drink. 

Tiffany just watched the other girl hummed a random happy tune while making the hot beverage. It didn’t take long until she heard her name and thanked her before leaving for class. She walked slowly as she took her time to take in the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and stopped at the nearby bench to finish it. Before throwing the cup away, she looked underneath it out of curiosity when she saw nothing else but her name written on the cup.

Hi, beautiful. Still waiting for your call. :) 

It was written in that same messy handwriting accompanied with that row of digits. Tiffany unknowingly smiled at the crooked smiley drawn on her cup and took out her phone. She glanced around when she realized that she’s been smiling at the empty cup and exhaled in relief when nobody seem to notice how silly she was. She saved the barista’s number and kept the empty cup inside her bag then went to class with a smile on her face.

=== 

“One…”

“One café latte?” The petite girl smiled at her. 

Tiffany nodded shyly and placed the bills on the counter.

“Alright, one café latte for Tiffany.” Taeyeon tapped on the monitor while stealing glances at her before making her coffee. “Here you go, one café latte. Have a great day and please come again.” She waved her hand and the brunette couldn’t help but smile at the cute gesture.

“Thank you.” Tiffany waved in return and stepped out of the café with a silly grin on her face. When she was a distance away from the small shop, she sat on that same spot near the political science building and looked underneath the cup. 

Good morning, beautiful. I hope 3rd time’s the charm. ;) 

The brunette bit her lip as she suppressed to smile widely. She looked at the direction headed to the café and took out her phone. 

Third time’s the charm indeed. :) 

She stared at what she wrote before sending the message. Her heart was beating faster at each passing minute until her phone vibrated.

Hi, beautiful. :) 

It was just a short message but it was enough to make her heart flutter. 

===