(17)

Secrets

===

Breaking news: Owners of Hwang Industries and Kim Enterprises tie the knot.

A representative from Hwang Industries released a statement that the couple had officially tied the knot last week. The wedding was held privately in a resort in Jejudo…

“How come Taeng’s not in the picture?” Jessica furrowed her brows as she scanned the online article and stopped at the press released photo.

Tiffany shrugged and continued to read her book. “She’s too obsessed with that lowkey life of hers that she refused to take a photo with us. She was even seated at the back the whole time.”

“What?” 

“I just don’t get her sometimes, okay? To think that our relatives were the only ones invited.”

Jessica was about to ask more but decided against it. She made herself comfortable in bed and played with her phone. “How come you’re here?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why are you spending your free time with me? What happened to your precious girlfriend?”

“I’m bored.”

“Then go play with Taeng.” 

“She’s busy.”

“With what?”

“I don’t even know.”

Jessica tore her eyes away from her phone to look at her friend skeptically. “You don’t even know.”

“Yeah. I woke up and everyone was nowhere to be found. So I came here.”

“I am deeply offended.” Jessica deadpanned. “I feel used.”

“Oh, stop it.” Tiffany playfully slapped her friend’s arm. “You’re starting to sound like her.”

Jessica grimaced, remembering her other friend. “Ew. Don’t you dare compare me with her.”

=== 

Weeks had passed since the old couple’s wedding and every passing day, Tiffany could feel the guilt building up in her chest. So after much deliberation, she finally had enough and decided to just come clean with her father. It was the right thing to do, she thought. With that in mind, she chewed her food well and sipped the water as calm as she could then straighten up in her chair.

“What is it?” Tiffany almost jumped in place when her father suddenly spoke.

“I…” 

“Go on.” Mr. Hwang nodded encouragingly as he went on eating.

The brunette scanned the dining room, Taeyeon was seated to her right, Taeyeon’s mother was seated across her daughter, and Mr. Hwang was seated beside the older woman. She lightly kicked Taeyeon’s foot under the table to signal that it was time. “I have some important announcement, Daddy.”

“Oh. What is it?” Excitement was evident in the old man’s face.

Her knee was starting to shake uncontrollably but the hand placed on her lap lightly somehow made her calm down. “I’m seeing someone.” Taeyeon’s hand immediately left her after muttering the words. At the corner of her eye, she saw the older woman swallowing hard, at the verge of choking after hearing what she said.

“Well, that’s good to hear.” Mr. Hwang nodded. “When will I get to meet him?”

The three subtly glanced at each other before going back to their respective activities. It was totally obvious but the old man somehow wasn’t able to notice it. Tiffany cleared awkwardly and prepared for the worst. “Now.”

“Now?”

“Yes, Daddy. Now, now.”

“Like right now?” Mr. Hwang asked confusedly before putting down his cutlery. He glanced at the other quiet women and got more confused when Taeyeon avoided his gaze.

“I don’t know when’s the perfect time to say this but the guilt is eating me up.” Tiffany clutched the napkin on her lap and tried her best to maintain eye contact with her father.

“Huh?”

“You’re looking at her right now.” She glanced at Taeyeon before turning back to him. Mr. Hwang only raised his brows in question so she continued. “It happened way before the engagement news…” She took a deep breath. “I’m dating Taeyeon for almost a year now.” 

For the next excruciating 2 minutes, nobody made a noise. Mr. Hwang was left frozen in his seat as he stared at his daughter. Taeyeon tried to meet his eyes but failed miserably. The older woman excused herself to get the desserts in the fridge. Tiffany remained still and fought the urge to cry when her father suddenly stood up and went out of the dining room without looking back.

“.” Taeyeon hissed the moment Mr. Hwang was out of sight. 

“Tae…” Tiffany shifted to her side and hugged the petite girl. She wasn’t able to hold it in as she started to cry silently but ended up sobbing.

“Fany-ah…” Taeyeon cooed as she gently brushed her girlfriend’s hair. “I’m so sorry…”

“Don’t be.” The brunette shook her head as she clutched Taeyeon’s shirt.

“No, I really am… I didn’t know he would react like this.”

“I know… Me too…” She sniffed one more time and pulled back. “Now what are we going to do, Tae?”

“Nothing…?” Taeyeon tried to grin.

“I hate you.” Tiffany repeatedly hit the girl’s shoulder. “Stop messing around.”

“I… H-hey.” The petite girl tried to grab Tiffany’s wrists. “No more hitting, please.” She leaned forward and kissed her cheek.

“Fine.” Tiffany sighed dejectedly before poking Taeyeon’s forehead. She smiled along after seeing the cheeky grin and felt a little better until she turned around and saw Mr. Hwang standing in the doorway, eyes wide open with a couple of papers in hand. “D-daddy…” Tiffany quickly distanced herself from Taeyeon and straighten up in her chair.

Mr. Hwang was soon able to snap out of it and calmly got back to his seat. The room was then again filled with silence as he skimmed through the papers he’s holding. “Okay.” He started which made the other two nervous. “First of all…” He looked at Taeyeon then to Tiffany. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”


“I’m sorry…” Tiffany slumped her shoulders as she looked down.

“Do you even know how will this affect our business?”

She was on the verge of crying again after hearing her father’s serious tone. “I’m sorry…” Taeyeon suddenly kicked her foot so she lifted her head to look at the girl in confusion. She turned back to her father when her girlfriend kept on nodding to his direction. Much to her surprise, Mr. Hwang had the biggest smile plastered on his face as he clasped his hands on the table. “W-why are you smiling like that?”

“Because I’m happy for you kids!” Mr. Hwang wasn’t able to hold it in as he grabbed their hands and shook it enthusiastically.

“W-what?”

“This is so great!”

“Why?”

“It’s good for the business! I don’t have to worry about getting scammed by these good for nothing company heirs!” He clapped his hands happily but it was short lived when he saw his daughter frowning. “Wait. You don’t have plans to get married?” He gasped dramatically at the horrible thought.

“Daddy!” Tiffany slapped the old man’s hand by reflex.

“B-but…” He looked at his daughter with the saddest pleading eyes.

“Don’t jinx us, Uncle.” Taeyeon finally spoke and got a slap on her hand as well. “Ow…”

Mr. Hwang smiled widely at Taeyeon’s comment. “See? Even Taeyeon-ah is thinking about marriage plans!” 

Tiffany narrowed her eyes as she looked at her girlfriend accusingly. “I hate you both!” She threw the napkin on the table and stormed out of the room.

The two stared at the doorway for a second before returning their gaze to each other. Taeyeon felt anxious as Mr. Hwang looked at her sternly. 

“Okay, now that the coast is clear.” Mr. Hwang skimmed through the papers again before handing her a piece of paper. “Read it thoroughly. Read it twice. Read it a hundred times. Then sign it.”

Taeyeon looked at the paper with wide eyes. It was a contract. A contract to date Hwang Industries’ heir. At that moment, she had finally believed when Tiffany told her that Mr. Hwang was very overprotective. “Y-yes sir.” She could only nod stiffly as she read the terms and conditions. 

 

The End
 

===

A/N: Okay. That's it! To be honest, I am VERY disappointed at how this story ended. LOL But I don't wanna leave it unfinished so. Anyway! I would like to thank that same silent reader (my destiny's child LOL) for giving me your thoughts on how to end this story (telling daddy hwang about their relationship). XD So........ I guess that's it! See you around guysssssssssssss~ Thank you for dropping by! :)

 

I originally posted chapter 16 last Aug 3 and I've been having a tough time finishing this story since then. SO. Yeah. I'm sorry if it turned out this way. XD I actually just finished this a few hours ago so excuse the errors. I still have to edit this. hahaha