A New Problem Rises

Don't You Dare Jungkook

 

    “Son!”

    Jungkook’s eyes widen. “Dad?”

    “How are you my boy?”

    “Um...great Sir. How are you?”

    “Oh I’m good, I’m good. Thought I’d just give you a call to see how my favorite son is doing.”

    “Dad. I’m your only son.”

    “That’s right!”

    Jungkook was suspicious. His dad never called him. Ever. Jungkook always called him first. This wasn’t normal. Plus, Jungkook had his father’s number saved. He had both of his parents' numbers saved and he knew them by heart. So getting a call from his dad under an unknown number was weird. He didn’t like it.

    “So, what have you been up to Jungkook?” His dad asks.

    “Um, I’ve been working at a flower shop.”

    “Flowers? So you’re into that sorta thing huh?”

    “What?”

    “Nothing.” His dad laughs a bit. “How about a girlfriend? You got yourself a girlfriend yet?”

    “Well. No Sir. Not exactly.”

    “Oh man, is my boy in love but can’t get the girl he likes?” Jungkook’s father teases.

    “Sir...” Jungkook didn’t like where this was going. This was really weird. Jungkook never talks to his dad like this. It was usually, “Hi, bye, I’m good. See you next month.”

    “I’m joking. I’m sure my handsome boy will get that damsel.”

    Jungkook was now seriously wondering if he was dreaming.

    “So, Jungkook.”

    “Yes Sir?”

    “Oh ho, no need to call me that! We’re not in public it’s fine son.” Jungkook’s dad laughs once more.

    This was strange. Really, really strange. Ever since he was little, Jungkook was taught to call his Dad “sir” and his Mom “ma’am” whenever he was asked a question or when he was called. Regardless if it was public or not.

    “Um, okay. Yes Dad?”

    “Yes yes. There it is. Uh...Jungkook, Iseul and I would like to discuss something with you.”

    “Mom and you? About what?” Jungkook was getting nervous. His dad never called his mom by her first name and they never talked to him about anything.

    The line was quiet for a few minutes until a familiar voice comes on. “Jungkook?”

    “Mom?” Jungkook didn’t like this. His parents never go on business trips to the same place. They’re almost never together.

    “Baby! How are you?” His mom squeaks.

    “I’m good ma’am. How are you?”

    “No no, please, don’t call me that.” His mom sounded disheartened.

    “Um, okay. I’m great Mom. How are you?” Jungkook was now slightly shaking. He didn’t like how this was going. His parents talking to him like every other parent? This wasn’t right.

    “Oh, great honey. I’m doing fine. Doyun and I had wanted to tell you something.”

    “Um...okay?” Jungkook was confused and scared. His parents never called each other by their names unless it was work related. Jungkook fears the event that happened when Jungkook was little. His parents had separated. They separated for a whole nine years until they decided to come back together again when Jungkook was entering middle school. Those were the worst years of his life. He also lost Yoongi during that time also.

    “Uh...this might be hard for you to deal with but…” His mom starts. “But-here. I’ll let him explain.”

    “What Iseul--your mother, was trying to tell you is that she and I are no longer together.” His dad says.

    Jungkook freezes. “What?”

    “We’re divorcing Jungkook.”

    Jungkook shivers. He starts to tremble. “W-why?”

    “Iseul and I have been arguing nonstop the past few months and we’re both honestly tired. We’re really tired. So, we’ve decided to end this marriage for the best.”

    For the best? What about me? Jungkook was scared. He didn’t want his family apart. They might not always be together all the time but Jungkook values what he has.

    “Jungkook, we all know that this family has been broken for a long time and sooner or later this was bound to happen.”

    “No..I don’t want it to happen.”

    “I’m sorry Jungkook, but we already have the divorce papers. We’re gonna send them in once we head back to Seoul. We’ll be back in a few weeks and from now on, you’ll be living with me.” Jungkook’s dad declares. “Your mother will move out.”

    “Just like sixteen years ago.” Jungkook quietly says.

    “What?”

    “Mom is gonna move out like she did sixteen years ago. This time, she won’t be back. Ever.” Jungkook had enough. “Why don’t you guys ever talk to me about these things!?”

    “Jungkook...Son, I know it’s hard but you have to admit that Iseul and I just don’t get along.”

    “You guys used to get along just fine! It was fine! Everything was fine just how it was! It was me, wasn’t it? After I was born, you guys didn’t agree with each other, you guys just stopped loving each other and it was all because of me huh!? That’s why you guys never talk to me and you guys are always traveling around places and you guys leave me alone. But even so, I was happy! I was happy I can tell everyone I had a mom and a dad even if they weren’t around! I was happy to tell everyone that my parents are together. I was happy to tell everyone that my mom and dad are still with me! I felt lucky. I was fine with how everything was! It’s all my fault you guys don’t love each other anymore. If I wasn’t born you’d probably be delighted.” Jungkook was close to tears. He didn’t like this. He was trying so hard. He’s been trying so hard for so many years to keep his parents happy so it wouldn’t be his fault again that his family will fall apart. But it’s seemingly pointless now that his father has declared that his parents are ending their marriage.

    “Jungkook. It’s not like that. It isn’t your fault. It was never your fault. Honestly. Don’t think that.” His father says.

    Jungkook couldn’t handle it. “I’m sorry Sir but I need to breathe.”

    With that, the phone call ends. Jungkook deletes that call from his history and with anger along with frustration, he goes to take a nap to cool his head.

--------------------------

    When he wakes up, the shop is already closed and Jungkook mentally slaps himself.

   “Why is today such a bad day!? I promised Hyung I would be there to take him home! Argh!” Jungkook screams as he goes to put on his shoes and dash to the shop.

    When he gets there, he sees Yoongi standing by the door rocking back and forth on his heels.

    Jungkook felt bad. I shouldn’t be the one to make Hyung wait...

    “Jungkook! There you are. What took you so long?” Yoongi sasses with his head tilted.

    Jungkook somehow felt better. Seeing Yoongi just makes him feel better. “I’m sorry Yoongi but some things got in my way of getting here on time.”

    That earned a punch in the arm. “What did you just call me?!”

    Jungkook laughs a bit. “My bad. Yoongi-hyung.”

    “Are you mocking me young man?” Yoongi puts his hands on his hips.

    “Are you mocking me young man?” Jungkook says back in a funny voice.

    Yoongi steps on Jungkook’s toe and walks ahead. Jungkook smiles. “How was your day Hyung?”

    “My day was fine. It was actually peaceful since you weren’t around to bug me.” Yoongi says in a joking way.

    Jungkook knew Yoongi was joking. He knew it but his mind goes back to the conversation he had with his parents and this makes him doubt himself.

    “So, I’m assuming your day wasn’t A-plus.” Yoongi says.

    Jungkook looks at Yoongi who was next to him. “Why do you say so?”

    “From your tone of voice and just the stupid sad face you made as you ran to the shop a few minutes ago gave it away. Plus, you’d usually make a comment immediately when I joke like that. What’s wrong? Did you miss me too much?” Yoongi nudges Jungkook in the side.

    This makes Jungkook laugh a bit. “Was I too obvious?”

    “Like I said, the sad look on your face as you were running to me gave it away.”

    “Haha...well, today wasn’t the best day.”

    “Wanna talk about it?”

    “Not really...not yet anyway.”

    Yoongi hums. “Whenever you’re ready, I’m here to listen.”

    Jungkook smiles. “Thanks Hyung.”

    “Until then, wipe that cringy frown off your face. It looks weird on you.” Yoongi says as he pats Jungkook’s back rather harshly.

    Jungkook winces in pain and pats Yoongi in return. “So, what did Jimin want to say to you?”

   “Huh? Oh. He told me he found a new job so he’s quitting.”

    “What!?”

    “He said that he’s quitting so you can have the job.”

    “And you didn’t stop him!?”

    “Well, once Jimin makes up his mind, no one can really change it. I couldn’t even if I tried. Plus, he says he’s not burdened at all to give the job to you.”

    “But, that’d be stealing his job.”

    “He doesn’t see it that way.” Yoongi says as he remembers the earlier conversation with Jimin.

    “Hyung. I have something to tell you.” Jimin says as he takes a seat next to Yoongi.

    “Oh yeah. What is it?” Yoongi faces Jimin.

    “I’m resigning.”

    “What!?” Yoongi almost falls.

    “I said-”

    “I heard you the first time. My question is why!?”

    “It’s for Jungkook.”

    “Because Jungkook is here, you’re quitting the job you’ve been working for almost five years!?”

    “Well, this shop is easy to run. It doesn’t need three people. It needs two and I think Jungkook is perfect for the job. You’re not saying you don’t want Jungkook here are you?”

    “Of course not! Why would I-No. That’s not my point. What I’m getting at is where are you going to work now?”

    “Awwww, I feel all warm inside knowing you care so much.”

    “Jimin, answer my question.”

    “Hyung, you know that one job I’ve been wanting for ages?”

    “What? Being a manager at one of those big companies?”

    “Yeah! It seems that my luck has arrived because they’re holding job interviews in a few weeks to select a new manager for one of their groups.”

    “Really? Wow. So you think this is a good opportunity for you and Jungkook?”

    “That’s right! Jungkook can have my job and I can work at my dream job!”

    “Hmm...I guess that can work.”

    “So, you accept me quitting?”

    “I mean I guess. We’ll have to talk to Jungkook though.”

    “Fine with me!”

End of Flashback…

    Jungkook was a bit relieved to know that he still has his job but feels guilty for taking Jimin’s job.

    “Hyung, you’re sure that Jimin-hyung isn’t bothered of just giving up his job to me?” Jungkook asks when they reach the front door of his place.

    “He wasn’t giving up his job, he’s handing over his job. The kid’s been wanting to be a manager for a big idol group for years and now that they’re holding interviews for the job, he says he feels lucky so he doesn’t regret anything. I’m gonna make sure he gets that job so none of his efforts go to waste.” Yoongi says with an excited tone.

    “Then...I guess I’m grateful to him and I’m glad.” Jungkook says as they enter the house.

    “You should be. I’m tired. I’m taking a shower and then going to bed.” Yoongi says and heads to the shower.

    “Wait. Did you eat?”

    Yoongi turns around. “No.”

    “Hyung! We’ve been through this! You must eat!”

    “Okay okay. I’ll eat then take a shower and go to bed.”

    Jungkook smiles and goes to order takeout. As the two wait for the food, Yoongi dozes off along with Jungkook until Jungkook’s phone vibrates after about fifteen minutes of sleep.

    Jungkook’s eyes shoot open and he goes take the call in the hallway where Yoongi won’t hear him. He doesn’t look at the caller ID as he is still half asleep. Jungkook answers the call in a groggy voice. “Hello?”

    “Jungkook,”

    Jungkook was now awake. He knows that voice. “Hi ma’am.”

    “A-are you feeling better than this afternoon?” His mom asks quietly.

    “I’m fine ma’am.”

    “I asked you to not call me that.”

    “I’m sorry Mom.”

    “You have nothing to be sorry about. You’re right. We should’ve talked to you before we made the decision.”

    Jungkook’s hope returns to him. There’s still a chance. Our family can still be saved.

    “But I’m sorry Kookie. The decision is made. The divorce will proceed.”

    Jungkook feels a pang in his heart. His heart shattered. He feels betrayed. He feels abandoned. He didn’t like this feeling.

    “I understand.” Jungkook says through grit teeth.

    “I knew you would. You always understand. I love you so much Jungkook.”

    “I...I love you too Mom.” Jungkook says. “I-I have to go. My dinner’s here.” He didn’t want to talk to his mom.

    “Of course. Please make sure-”

    “I know I know. I’ll eat and I won’t make a mess.” Jungkook says. “Bye.”

    “Bye Baby.” Jungkook’s mom ends the call and Jungkook goes to see if his dinner is actually here. As he walks outside, he thinks to himself. What did I do wrong all this time!? I’ve always gotten good grades. I’ve always helped around the house. I never actually burned the house down. I helped take care of the little brats in the next house over. I did everything Mom asked me. I did everything Dad asked me. I even cut everything off with Yoongi back then when Dad asked me too! Everything I did was so this family can stay together. Now it’s all wrong. Nothing’s right! Jungkook reaches his front porch and waits for the food to come.

Back inside…

    “So that’s what’s bothering him…” Yoongi mumbles to himself. It’s something with his parents...“What do I do now? I accidentally eavesdropped on a conversation I had no right to listen in on…”

----------------------------------

A/N: Me updating early?! WHAT!? 

PS: Thank you for reading this long fanfic.