Signing the Contract

AmP: The American Project Begins

The two bands greeted each other as they sat down. Their managers sat nearby talking amongst themselves. Ten minutes past the time for the meeting to start a woman enters the room. She bows her head avoid eye contact with everyone. The two managers lead her to the lone chair between B.A.P and EXO. “Are you comfortable Miss Shaw?”

She nods looking down at her hands. The managers hurry out of the room to take phone calls leaving the fifteen alone. The two leaders decide to introduce their groups to her. She merely bows blushing. Lay steps forward speaking in English figuring that maybe she couldn't understand them. He learns that she in fact doesn't know Korean at all. The more he tries to talk with her the more flustered she becomes.

“Yixing! Stop flirting!” He tries to defend himself but it doesn't seem to help. EXO begins to relentlessly. Yongguk tries to see if she's okay immediately hearing his voice without looking at him, she turns a bright red. B.A.P starts to which in turn makes him blush. Without them realizing it a faint hum of music is playing. A look at the woman shows her with headphones on her head. The TS Entertainment CEO's assistant comes into the room going straight to her. Trying to talk to her first in Korean then in English. “Violet, correct? The CEO would like to see your music. He would like a clue of the type of musical influences for you. …you know to get a clue where to focus you, pop or hip hop.”

She nods handing over her phone and headphones. Now the fourteen had a name. A few were stuck wondering when the CEOs would appear. No one tried talking to Violet after the assistant left. An hour after the scheduled time the two CEOs appear with the two managers in tow.

“Sorry boys. A few last minute details for our little flower's debut needed to be ironed out. I trust you kept yourselves entertained?” The fourteen chimed back respectably. “Now, little flower, you asked in your application if you could just be an actress or model. I believe you can be an idol. Maybe even the next Hyuna or CL.”

No one could ignore the way she seemed to sit up straighter. Clearly it was something she wanted. The SMent CEO spoke up, “Little flower, we'll be going over your contract today. EXO and B.A.P are here because you will spend two years training at TS Entertainment then release an album with B.A.P’s help. Once those two years are up then you will come to my agency and repeat the process with EXO. Do you understand?”

She nods. A translator stood behind the groups explaining things to them. “Right now I'd like to hear where you would like your career to go.”

All eyes went to her. “Oh...uh..I'd like to do both pop and hip hop.”

“Why both? Why not one or the other?”

She fidgets nervously trying to find the answer. Suho couldn't help himself. He whispered encouragements to her that the translators help her understand. After looking at him she turned her attention to the two CEOs. “I take heavy influences from both.”

“From your playlists, I'd say you take influences more from hip hop. You listen far more to hip hop. In fact from what I saw on your most played list… That's My Jam by B.A.P, Stuck by Monsta X, How's This? by Hyuna and Monster by EXO.” She turns bright red as the two CEOs take turns commenting on the music on her phone. “...little flower what do you think your stage name should be? I tried to see what your Korean name was but you don't have one.”

“My mother's third generation American.”

“Ah! Well what do you say about your stage name being Hyun Ki?”

The SMent CEO smiles. “I'm quite fond of Little Flower.”

“I like Hyun Ki.” She manages to stammer out. It became official. Violet was now Hyun Ki. However for the CEOs it seemed like their pet name for her wasn't going to disappear.

“I hope you don't mind if we use your grandmother's family name. Shin.” She shakes her head smiling softly. The CEOs knew that she had a strong bond to her grandmother. They knew many things after doing a little digging into this girl's life. Enough that both felt they would win the bet. “I believe it should only take a little bit to get what we have squared away. If you'll excuse us. My assistant will help you go over the paperwork. Boys you'll receive your assignment after she finishes.”

Once more they were left alone with her. She mumbles in English to herself. Sehun approaches her with Lay's help the two try to start talking. Mostly about what would happen next. She blushes but somehow manages to speak. “It's okay to be nervous. We all have been there.”

“Thank you very much.”

“I'm Sehun, this is Lay.”

“I know. I'm Vi…” She shakes her head, “Hyun Ki.”

When the assistant comes in Sehun and Lay hurry back to their seats. “Alright. Here. I'll explain anything you don't understand, just ask.”

“...do I have to sign Hyun Ki or my name?”

“Your name. Just know that you will begin Korean lessons shortly after signing. When not on camera with either group you will be taking Korean lessons, singing lessons and dance lessons. For the purpose of convenience you will be given a new cell phone, the numbers of each B.A.P member, each EXO member as well as both bands managers’ numbers will be programmed into it. We expect you to be polite. Until you finish your lessons we ask that you do not contact any of your friends in the States. We need you focused.”

“Camera?”

“Any events, practices and scheules with either group will be filmed. You're a big hit now Hyun Ki. Everyone wants to see if an American can be a KPop star.” She pales staring down at her signature. The assistant leaves the room taking the contract with him. He returns with the B.A.P manager. “You'll be starting your two years with B.A.P first. However the SMent CEO has offered up this.”

He gives her a phone in a purple case with light purple flowers on it. She looks through it. All her music is on it. The contacts held over fifteen names. Each of them the ones she'd been told would be in her phone. The manager lead the seven out of the room. He immediately asked for their phones putting her number in their phone. Before EXO left they too got her phone from their own manager.

 

“It begins. May the best agency win.”

“I will. I will my friend.”