HEARTTHROB

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

"Myungsoo is missing..." said Bora.

 

"What do you mean he's missing?" Sunggyu was confused.

 

"We went to see him but his uncle said he didn't go home yet. We searched for him in every possible place but he's nowhere to be found." Sungyeol answered.

 

"Doojoon words were really harsh this time. He pulled on a sensitive string." Bora added.

 

Sunggyu hummed in response, him too getting worried sick. The room fell into a deadly silence, until a ringtone broke it away, making Krystal nervous.

 

"He's calling again! What am I supposed to tell him?! Myungsoo will kill us if we tell him!"

 

"Tell him he had to go home with me because of an assignment and will probably spend the night in my house." Sunggyu said on a reflex. They all turned to him.

 

"What if he asked why he didn’t pick up and didn't call him back?"

 

"Tell him his phone’s battery died. Myungsoo is not used to tell him where his going or what he's doing, so he probably won't find it suspicious. " Sungyeol ordered, she nodded before answering the call. Thankfully, she managed to lie at him without stuttering.

 

"What are we going to do now?" She questioned after hanging up.

 

"Are you sure you searched everywhere? He can't just disappear like that." Sunggyu looked at them hopelessly.

 

"There aren't many possibilities anyways. I'm afraid he'll do something stupid!" Krystal said fearfully.

 

"No, he's not that stupid. But don't you think we missed one place?" Bora raised her eyebrow, waiting for them to understand her words.

 

"He won't go there... right?" Sungyeol said hesitantly.

 

"He hates that place... But we don't have any other choice. What if he gets hurt?" Krystal was on the verge of crying.

 

"Krystal is right. We need to check it out.  But it's already late, how are we supposed to go there without rising our parents’ suspense." Sungyeol was in deep thoughts.

 

"You guys leave it to me. I'll ask Hakyeon Hyung to take me; he probably finished his work hours. He won't mind taking me to far places and surely won't tell my father. You just stay in your houses in case he came to one of you and I'll take it from here." Sunggyu took responsibility for the matter.

 

As he guessed, Hakyeon just dropped back Professor Kim to his officetel and agreed to help him. Bora gave him the address and they both hopped in the car.

The drive lasted for almost two hours, before they reached a suburban area. The streets were dark but Sunggyu could see the old buildings and the creepy streets.

 

"Before, only rich families lived in this neighborhood, but now it became one of the poorest." Hakyeon noted. Sunggyu hummed, wondering why Myungsoo would be there.

 

The place Bora described for him was a very old playground in the middle of a public park. It was very dark and the two guys could barely see where they were stepping. Sunggyu was about to lose hope when he saw a silhouette sitting on one of the old swings. It unquestionably belonged to Myungsoo.

 

"Hyung, you go back to the car and tell the others that I found him. I'll bring him with me." he handed Hakyeon his phone and proceeded to the playground. He thought that talking with him right then would be useful, but changed his mind when he saw two bottles of beer on the ground.

 

“So you were here all this time.”  he sat on the swing next to Myungsoo. The latter looked at him drowsily. He didn’t look surprised and just ignored him, obviously drunk.

“I think we should go, it’s getting very late. “ he tried to catch Myungsoo’s hand to make him stand, but his hand was slapped away.

 

“ He left me here… all alone… I was young and it was very cold…” Myungsoo’s head was hanging low but Sunggyu could see a tear rolling down his cheek.

 

‘Who’s he talking about?’ Sunggyu wondered.

 

“ He said he’ll come back for me! That liar! I could’ve died in here because of him! “ his voice rose an octave, filled with anger.

 

“But you know what makes me hate him even more? I can’t even remember his face… He’s my brother and I just forgot how he looked like…” his words became muffled by his tears until he fell asleep because of the liquor’s effect.

Sunggyu caught him just in time before he could fall backwards.

 

‘He’s brother left him too…’ he released a heavy sigh.

 

 Myungsoo stayed asleep the whole way back home and only woke up an hour after they reached the penthouse. He silently accepted Sunggyu’s pajamas and took a shower to sober up. Sunggyu was waiting for him in the living room when he came out, with two cups of tea.

 

“Drink that, it will help you to relax.”

 

Myungsoo hummed and just sat by his side on the sofa, sipping on his tea. They both kept staring silently at the city above from the glass wall in front of them.

 

“You’re not going to ask anything?”  Myungsoo finally broke the silence.

 

“I won’t force you to tell me anything, you’re already having a hard time.” he answered calmly.

 

“Thank you...” said Myungsoo, eyes fixed on his cup.

 

“I was five when my family fell apart.” he continuied after a long silence, drawing Sunggyu’s attention.

 

 “When my father died, my mother decided to burn the house to ashes, with us inside of it. But my brother didn’t allow it. He took me to that park and asked me to wait for him. I think he went to prevent her from suicide but he was late. I followed his orders and stayed there, but he never came for me. It was snowing that day and I lost conscious because of the cold. They said no one came to search for me in the hospital and they had to take me to an orphanage. I lived there for a few days before ahjusshi came searching for me and adopted me. He was my father’s friend and was living in Japan, but dropped everything there because of us.”

 

“What about your brother? What happened to him?”  He asked.

 

“I don’t know. They didn’t find his corpse in the house.  Assuming he lived, we kept searching for him everywhere. Dead or alive, ahjussi tried his best to find him but it was in vain. Eventually, I lost hope and asked him to stop.”

 

“So there’s still a possibility that he’s alive?”

 

“He IS alive. Five years ago, I received a basketball bat on my birthday from an anonymous sender. It was the birthday gift I was pestering my parents to get me when I was five. It’s been repeating for the last five years, but every time a thing I’m dying to get. »

 

“So he’s alive and watching you?  Myungsoo hummed.

 

“ It can be anyone, since I forgot how he looks like. All of his pictures burnt with our family house. But the weirdest part was that everything related to him disappeared; only his name remained, as if he never existed.”

 

“ Weird… If he’s back, why is he keeping himself from meeting you? “

“I don’t know and I don’t wanna know.” he ruffled his hear in frustration. “ I wish he never sent me a thing and kept me alone. I prefer the time when I used to think he was dead. Back then I hated him less. Because of him now, my life is like a riddle; I know he’s alive but I have no idea where he can be.” there was a lot of anger in his voice, making Sunggyu scoff.

 

“Believe me, knowing that he’s alive even though ignoring his whereabouts is hundreds of times better than knowing where he is while knowing he’s no longer part of this life.”

 

“Oh really?! And how do you know? Don’t tell me you have a dead brother?” when Myungsoo sarcastically asked that question, he expected a negative answer, but when Sunggyu averted his eyes from him and resumed looking at the glass wall, he regretted saying that.

 

“I’m so sorry I didn’t know.” He apologized right away.

 

“It’s okay, it was a long time ago. I’m over it.” He lied.

 

“Really?” he asked, unconvinced.

 

“No… No one can get over losing a dear person.”

 

“Was he older than you?”

 

“Hmmm. His death was expected though. It just happened earlier that I thought. His heart was very weak since he was born; eventually it became weaker and died in unfortunate incident.” Sunggyu tried his best to hide the sadness in his voice, and most importantly his eyes from tearing.

 

“It must’ve been hard for you. I’m so sorry for your loss.” Myungsoo put his hand on Sunggyu’s shoulder, as a sign of consolation. Sunggyu just smiled to reassure him.

After the heart to heart conversation they had, they both went to bed, in hope of sleeping for few hours before going to school.

 

 

“Here are the files you asked for.” Sungjong slammed two thick files on the table in front of Eunji.

“And next time go get them yourself; I’m sick of being your postman.”

 

“You know I’m busy with school.” She answered, already flipping through the first file.

 

“He had a brother?” Eunji stopped at a certain detail.

 

“Kim Mingyu, seven years older than him. Died ten years ago in a fire.”

 

Eunji hummed, eyes still fixed on a certain date.

 

“Nothing really interesting about him, he doesn’t seem like a threat. Just a hot blooded teenager.” He added.

 

Eunji moved to the next file. Reading the first page out loud.

 

“Lee Hoya, 25 years old.  Lee Sooman’s only heir. What’s this? His father only knew about his existence when he was thirteen years old?” she rised an eyebrow.

 

“When Lee Sooman divorced his first wife, he didn’t know she was pregnant. He first met his son when she died and since then, he’s been taking good care of him, preparing him to be the next CEO of SM Entertainment.” Sungjong clarified.

 

“Suspicious.” Eunji noted.

 

“Indeed.” He smirked, rising her curiosity. He flipped to the next page.

 

“Why do you think Lee Sooman divorced his first wife?”

 

“She was sterile.” Eunji looked at the doctor’s diagnosis then at Sungjong.

 

“You know it can be forged.” She reminded him.

 

“Of course, but check Hoya’s birth certificate. It says he was born March 28th  1983 in Busan. During that time, his alleged mother was in Italy.” He showed her a copy of the woman’s passport.

 

“Maybe he’s a mistress son.” She tried guessing.

 

“Maybe.” Sungjong repeated.

 

Eunji  nodded before checking the remaining pages searching for a clue. Nothing.

‘Who the hell is this guy?’ she sighed.

 

 

 

Three worried figures were waiting for Myungsoo and Sunggyu in front of the school gates the next day. Krystal was the first to launch toward Myungsoo and hug him.

 

“Myungsoo!! I told you never do that again!” she whined, squeezing him even harder.

 

The boy between her arms turned crimson red. It made the rest giggle.

 

“Krystal, we’re in school.” He was stuttering, making her realize her surroundings and abruptly retreat from the hug.

 

“Sorry…” she mumbled, face red as a tomato.

 

“Are you okay bro?” Sungyeol asked Myungsoo. The latter nodded with a reassuring smile.

“His dimple is showing, he’s okay then. I knew we could trust Sunggyu with this. My big baby!!” Bora held Sunggyu in a head lock, messing all of his hair, while the rest were giggling, begging her to stop teasing him.

It was a scene that brought a lot of attention from other students arriving to the school, Eunji was one of them.

 

‘I wonder how it feels to have friends like that… they look happy…’ she remembered Sunggyu’s request and barely noticed that she was staring at them until she locked eyes with him.

He was fixing his hair but once his eyes landed on her a smile crept to his lips and he unconsciously waved at her. Well, she totally ignored him, feeling embarrassed for being caught.

 

“What was that? Did you just flirt with Eunji?” Sunggyu almost swore at Sungyeol for saying that out loud, thankfully, only their friends heard him.

 

“We’re barely friends and you already make it look like I have feelings for her.” He gritted.

 

“You don’t? I thought you liked her.” Krystal voiced out.

He gave her a death glare.

“Just a thought.” She said as it was nothing. It left him dumbfounded, while they started giggling, making fun of him.

 

“Guys stop teasing him! That wasn’t funny.”  Bora scolded them. “Let’s go we’re late!” at that point she was extremely pissed off.

 

Luckily, they reached class on time, or it was Miss Amy the one unusually late.

 

“So lately, I’ve been having a discussion with the other teachers and we came with a new idea.” She announced after greeting the class. “Well, after they saw your performances last week we decided to expand the pair work and use it in other your other classes, as in dancing and acting mainly.” A loud sigh emitted from the students. On the other hand, Sunggyu was still thinking about what happened earlier.

 

 “This is all for you, to fully use your potentials and to be more prepared for the professional life. To make things less inconvenient for you, we decided to keep the pairs as they are, without any changing. Think of the previous exam as a trial phase. Now, you already discovered your partners’ weaknesses and talents, make sure to use them well.”

 

Sunggyu came back to his senses at the last part, slowly absorbing the news.

‘I have to work with Eunji again?!’ he turned to his side to find her looking at him lazily, he smirked, she knitted her eyebrows in confusion.  He mouthed ‘Partner’ to her, waving at her again and winking.

 

“I don’t think it’s time to flirt, Sunggyu goon.”  Miss Amy scolded him.

 

Startled, Sunngyu averted his eyes to find the whole class looking at him. Sungyeol, Myungsooo and Krystal were having the time of their lives, while Bora was glaring at him.

 

“I wasn’t flirting I swear.” He mumbled, his face getting redder.

 

Eunji face palmed herself.  ‘This is so embarrassing! ’

 

 

 

“Did you enjoy embarrassing us?” Eunji stood next to his desk, hands crossed.

 

The class just ended, students just left while Sunggyu was still gathering his things.

 

“Us? I like how that sounds.” He smirked. She rolled her eyes.

 

‘omg! I’m actually flirting with her!’ he regretted saying that, but tried not to show it.

 

“I told you I’m not telling you anything.” She insisted.

“About what?” Sunggyu almost forgot his question the previous day. “Ahhh that! I told you I’m not doing this because of it, I just wanna be your friend.”

 

“Yeah whathever.” She shrugged him off and was about to leave, but he caught her by her forearm and made her face him again.

 

“I’m not that low.” He gritted, his grip on her arm getting stronger. “Why can’t you just accept me, as a friend?” his voice tendered a little bit, his anger lessening.

 

‘Eunji, be strong! Don’t fall for his act!’

 

To say she wasn’t affected by his sincerity, it would be a lie, even the proximity between them made her waver. But she learned from the best: Do not trust a single person.

She freed her hand from his hold. She was about to turn him down as usual but then she remembered her brother’s words: ‘Try and make friends’. It was Dongwoo’s biggest wish and she promised to try.

 

‘Just this time… at least once in my life… a friend.’

 

“Okay.” Her voice was almost inaudible.

 

“Okay?!” Sunggyu was taken aback by her answer, he was expecting another rejection.

 

“I’m already stuck with you as a partner, let’s try and be friends then.” She offered her hand for a handshake.

 

He hesitated for a seconds before he shook her hand, his fingertips caressing her palm.

 

The slight touch caused a flashing emotion between them . Sunggyu was used by then to the wave of unexplained feelings he had to deal with whenever he was with her.

 In Eunji’s case, it was so foreign for her to feel like that she had to retreat her hand abruptly.

“Come on then, friend, we need to go to our next class.” He fished his bag and started walking.

 

“Friend…” she said in a low voice, tasting the word.

 

The moment they stepped in the hallway, other students kept staring at them, whispering and glaring at them. They just ignored the attention they got and just kept walking and talking, well Sunggyu was the one talking, Eunji just said a few words.

 

It was the same during lunch, except this time, Sungyeol and Krystal were the ones talking, Myungsoo commenting from time to time, Eunji answering the questions directed to her and Bora just kept silent.

Sunggyu was glad that they didn’t reject Eunji and tried their best not to make things awkward for her. But Bora was being too much. She didn’t like the new addition to the group and did no effort in hiding it. She was already huffing in anger by the end of the day.

 

“So, Bora’s house as usually?” Sungyeol suggested when they were out of the school ground.

 

“No, not today.” She said angrily. The others were surprised by her response.

 

“You guys can go first, I need to have a talk with Bora first.” Sunggyu took her by her hand and dragged her to a nearby public garden, leaving them confused.

 

“What was that just now?” he snapped at her.

 

“What! What did I do wrong?!” she played it innocent.

 

“I understand that you can’t stand her, but can’t you not be that obvious?!”

 

“She deserve to be treated that way.” She crossed her arms.

 

“Bora! What happened to you? Why are you being like this?”

When she didn’t show any sign of giving in to him, he sighed and sat next to her.

 

“At least give me a reason and I’ll try to understand.” He put his hand on her shoulder.

 

 “Remember the day we first met?” she asked after a long silence.

 

“I do, it was on a park in our old neighborhood. We were four back then and you were crying.”  He answered, smiling at the memory. “You never told me the reason behind your tears tho.”

 

“It was because of her.” Her answer made him confused.

 

“That day, I was invited to her birthday party. I wanted to approach her but she told me that she’ll never befriend someone like me. Since that time I hate her.” She finished her story and looked at him. He was looking at her in disbelief.

 

“That’s it?!! You were four back then!! Woow !! You surely hold grudges.”

 

“You think I’m being silly?!” she asked hesitantly. He nodded.

 

“I know that’s she’s not an easy person. I mean I’ve been trying for a while to befriend her.  But she’s not a bad person.”

 

Bora stayed quiet for a while contemplating his words.

 

“Okay, since you asked I’ll try and be nicer. Let’s go then.” She stood and started walking but Sunggyu showed no sign of following, making her confused.

 

“Yah! What’s wrong?”

 

“The day we met, Minggyu took me to the play ground as a birthday gift. Doesn’t that mean me and Eunji share the same birth date?”

 

“! You just gave me goose bumps. You really are fated to each other.” She .

 

“Not you too.”

 

It was a long way, with her teasing him about it.

 

When they reached her house, they found Myungsoo, Sungyeol and Krystal fooling around.

“Where’s Eunji? I thought she came with you.” Bora questioned.

 

“She got an emergency call on the way here and had to leave in a rush.” Krystal answered.

 

‘An emergency call? I hope everything’s okay.’ Sunggyu thought worriedly.

 

“So Sunggyu.” Sungyeol started, cutting him of his thoughts. “We’re preparing a surprise birthday party for you.”

 

“If it’s a surprise then why are you telling me about it?” Sunggyu asked amused.

 

 “We needed your house’s password and I didn’t find a better way to get it from you other than directly asking.”

 

Bora facepalmed herself.

 

“Very clever, Sungyeol.”

 

 

 

28th April 2008

 

Sunggyu didn’t have a very good start for his birthday. His morning was filled with boring but stressful classes. Plus, he was very worried for Eunji. He didn’t see her since the day they agreed to be friends, which was two days ago.

He was shifting in his seat in a family restaurant near school. Hakyeon insisted on treating him for lunch there as a birthday gift.

 

“I’m so sorry I’m late, I had to drop Professor Kim to a meeting and got stuck in traffic.” He apologized as he sat on the other seat.

 

The older then ordered for them two servings of seaweed soup, the famous birthday dish.

 

“The food here is really delicious. It’s almost like my mother’s. She really wanted to cook for you but she can’t.” he paused a little. “She’s stuck in the hospital.”

 

 “Is she sick?” Sunggyu asked the obvious.

 

“Yeah, the doctor told us something’s wrong with her kidney. She’s getting treatment in hope of getting better.” He bitterly smiled.

 

Sunggyu was about to say some encouraging words but was cut off by a little girl.

 

The kid stood their staring at him, so Sunggyu just smiled at her.

 

“What a beautiful girl! What’s your name?” he asked with a big smile, but the girl didn’t move an inch, just kept staring at him.

 

“She’s the owner’s daughter. She’s autistic.” Hakyeon clarified for him.

 

“Oh.” Sunggyu felt empathy for the girl.

 

“My name is Sunggyu, what’s yours?” Still, no response.

 

Suddenly, the girl started pulling on his jacket’s sleeve, startling him.

 

“Oh my god! Mina what are you doing?!” a middle aged woman rushed to the girl, and cautiously tried to free him.

 

“Honey please let go of the customer.” The woman pleaded, but the girl was far from doing it.

 

“I’m so sorry for my girl’s behavior.” The woman started apologizing.

 

“It’s okay.” Sunggyu smiled. He wasn’t bothered by the girl’s action. It was very rare for autistic children to initialize a touch, so he was curious. She had her reasons for sure.

 

“Kiddo! What is it? Do you like me? Is oppa that handsome?” he joked.

 

Finally the girl pointed at the badge on his school uniform. The women’s eyes scanned it for few seconds then gasped.

 

“How didn’t I notice this? You’re wearing a similar uniform to the girl from the other day.” Her words puzzled him.

 

“You see,” the woman sat next to him.  “A week or so ago, I was very busy at the restaurant, so this little troublemaker went out to the street without me realizing it. Suddenly I heard a loud thud and gasps from outside. For seconds I thought she was hit by a car, since she doesn’t react to danger at all,” her eyes got all teary. “But then, I found her in the arms of a young female student, who was wearing a similar uniform as yours. They told me she saved her from being hit by a motorbike.

“The thing is the girl just left in a rush and didn’t even give us the time to thank her. Some people said they saw her arm bleeding and it makes me really worried. So, byany chance, do you know her?” the woman then started to describe the girl.

 

‘This is definitely Eunji. This is why she was late and injured that day.’ Sunggyu realized.

 

“She’s my friend.” He confidently answered. The woman’s eyes lightened.

 

“Really!! Omg I’m really happy I found you!! Can you deliver my thanks for her?” she took his hand between hers.

 

“Of course.” He patted her hands with his free one.

 

‘She’s a very good person after all.’ He smiled proudly.

 

 

 

Sunggyu rang the bell of the now familiar apartment nervously, holding the package in his hands tightly. The restaurant’s owner insisted on giving him many dishes as a gift for Eunji, especially when he told her it was her birthday, and he was using it as an excuse to check on her.

 

“It’s you.” She said coldly when she opened the door and found him.

 

“Yes, it’s me.” He pushed the door boldly and entered.

 

“What brought you here? Do we have a new assignment?” she questioned, after closing the door and following him in.

 

“I came to check on my friend.” He put the package on the dining table. “And I bought a special gift for you.”

 

“I didn’t think we were that close to give each other gifts.” She coldly said.

 

“It’s not from me though. The mother of the girl you saved in the street two weeks ago sent this to you, as a thank you.”

 

Eunji fixed her eyes on the box, deeply in thoughts.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that day?” he asked, with a tender tone.

 

“You don’t need to know, that’s my own business.” Unlike his, her tone was harsh.

 

‘What happened? I thought we surpassed this stage of ice queen Eunji.’ Sunggyu was disappointed, but tried to try again and cheer her on.

 

He took a thermostatic container from the box and pulled the lid.

 

“Tadaaa!! Seaweed soup, for the birthday girl.” He grinned at her.

 

“I don’t celebrate my birthday.” If her tone earlier was cold earlier, it was ice cold this time.

 

“Come on! The lady just made it for you.” Sunggyu wasn’t giving up yet. “Look it’s still hot. At least take few spoons.”

 

He scooped closer to her but was surprised by her hand pushing the container away and causing it to flip and spill on his hand and the floor.

“!!” he screamed from the pain and hurried to the sink in the kitchen.

 

Eunji stood there not knowing what to do.

 

‘I just hurt him! He was hurt because of me.’ She panicked.

 

He was running cold water on his burnt hand, groaning slightly. It took him few minutes for the pain to subside. He kept his hand under the tape but turned around searching for Eunji.

She was standing at the kitchen’s door, like a lost child, looking at his hand.

 

“Hey!” he called, startling her.

 

“I’ll go get the first aid kit!” she finally got back to her senses and run to the bathroom.

 

She came back quickly with a white box, by then Sunggyu was sitting on one of the kitchen’s stools.

When she was applying the ointment on the burnt area, he noticed how much her hands were shaking.

 

“You need to relax.” He tried calming her, but it was futile. The shaking just continued. He sighed then retreated his hands.

 

“I’m not finished yet.” She mumbled, eyes still fixed on the injury.

 

“No need, it doesn’t hurt much anymore, the soup wasn’t that hot anyways.” He reassured her, still, her eyes left his hands.

 

“Look at me.” He ordered gently.

 

She hesitated before slowly lifting her head.

 

“It wasn’t your fault.” He said. She shook her head.

 

“If I didn’t push you…” she mumbled in regret, lowering her head again.

 

This time, he used his fingertips to lift her shin up, their eyes meeting again.

 

“It was an accident and accidents happen all the time. You didn’t mean to do it.”

 

His voice was very tender, eyes overflowing with sincerity and kindness; she almost gave in to his words. But she stood up abruptly and took few steps back.

 

“I always hurt people around me… A person like me should never have friends.” No sadness was heard in her voice, just pure anger, as if someone was forcing her to say those words or she had them engraved in her mind.

 

“Everyone deserves to have friends, and surely you’re one of them. You are a good person. No matter what others say, that’s what I believe. So stop pushing people away, stop pushing me away.”  He approached her again. The look in her eyes was softening, as if she was carving to hear those words.

 

“So friend, do you want to come with me?”

 

“Where?” she questioned.

 

“My surprise birthday party, or should I say, our birthday party.” He grinned sheepishly.

 

His words surprised her. It was her first time meeting someone with the same birth date as hers. She nodded anyways.

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!! WHO DID THIS?!!” sungjong’s yelling filled the apartment as soon as he saw the mess in the living room. The two in the kitchen were enjoying his state of anger.

 

 

After leaving Sungjong to clean everything, Sunggyu and Eunji went to the penthouse for the party. When they entered they were greeted with a loud happy birthday song. Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Krystal and Bora were wearing birthday hats and funky glasses, looking extremely funny. The penthouse was decorated with all kind of colorful balloons and the dining table was full of different kind of snacks, beverages and a big chocolate cake in the middle.

 

“Happy birthday KIM SUNGGYU!! Happy birthday JUNG EUNJI!!” they completed the song by congratulating both of them.

 

Eunji didn’t know what to do. She didn’t expect this kind of welcoming from them, it made her feel welcomed and not an intruder, especially when Bora approached her and offered her hand.

 

“Friends?”

 

Eunji hesitantly shook her hand. “Friends.” She finally said with a smile.

 

“Now, A GROUP HUG!!” Sungyeol shouted, happy to see them getting closer.

 

“Please no.” Myungsoo protested before being crashed in the forced hug.

 

Soon enough, the house was filled with laughter and blasting music. They had a karaoke face off and played many games.

 

 

“And now, time for cutting the cake!” Krystal announced.

They stood around the table all hyper while Myungsoo lighted seventeen candles.

 

“We were out of time to buy another cake, so you guys just blow the candles together.” He commented.

 

“And don’t forget to make a wish.” Bora added.

 

The second time that night, they sang them the “happy birthday” song and they both blew the candles.

 

“what did you wish for?” Sungyeol asked as soon as they finished.

 

“None of you business.” Sunggyu waved him off.

 

“Fine! Don’t say it! But for your information, we didn’t bring you any gifts.” He sticked his tongue out.  Sunggyu just laughed.

 

“It’s okay, you’re enough as a present.” He winked at him.

 

“OMG gross! Go flirt with someone else. I’m going home, who’s coming with me?”

 

“Me and Myungsoo have plans to do.” Krystal fished her bag.

 

“No we don…” Myungsoo’s confused words were cut off by a nudge from Bora.

 

“Yeah that’s right, I totally forgot about our plan.” She grinned, pulling the poor boy with her.

 

“YAH!! Who’s going to clean all this!!” Sunggyu yelled at them, but it was too late, they all left.

 

“It’s okay, I’ll help.” Eunji volunteered.

 

Slowly, they cleaned the huge place together and returned everything into place. After finishing, Sunggyu decided to walk her home.

 

They were walking through the night streets, falling in a comfortable silence.

For the first time in a while, Eunji was feeling lighthearted, forgetting all of her concerns, and just being carefree.

 

“Thank you.” She said when they reached the building’s gate, making Sunggyu both surprised and confused.  “For trying so hard to be my friend and for celebrating my birthday with me.” She continued.

 

Sunggyu never saw her being so sincere and genuine.

 

“It’s nothing, that’s what friends are made for.” He gave her his eye smile. “Go in, it’s getting late.”

 

“Good night, see you tomorrow.” He watched her taking few steps before he remembered.

 

“Eunji!” he called her and she turned around.

 

“Happy birthday.” He said, his smile never fading. “I forgot to tell you that earlier.”

 

Eunji grinned widely, her eyes almost disappearing in the process. It was Sunggyu’s first time seeing her smile so sincerely and to him on top.

 

 “You never called me by my name before.” she commented, before entering through the gate.

 

“I did?!” Sunggyu questioned inaudibly. He was in awe.

 

‘Did she just smile to me?’

 

One beat.

 

Two beats.

 

Three beats.

 

 ‘Do I… like her?!’

 

And since then he was a goner.

 


Guess who's back!! 

I'm not really happy with this chapter because I had to write it in a rush and in very bad circumstances. 

I hope you like this chapther (not many things happened tho).

Don't forget to comment and Subscribe. Love you all :***

 

 

ps: I know this fanfics is starting as a high school crush but things are actually more serious than they seem, so be ready ;)