VOICE OF MY HEART

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

 

A man in an all black outfit opened the door's van to Eunji, helping her get off.

 

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" he asked her, a hint of guilt on his face.

 

"Don't worry, just go before catching anyone's attention." she ordered him, looking around.

 

"Maybe we should call a doctor." another man peeked from the front seat, wearing a similar outfit to the other.

 

"I told you I'm going to be okay. Plus, my doctor is probably on her way." she said in annoyance.

 

"How d..."

 

"Just go already!!" she yelled at them before they could utter another protest.

 

Eunji understood where the reason of their excessive concern. After all, she had a hole and a bullet in her shoulder and though she couldn't feel any pain, she sensed the blood oozing from there with every movement.

 

She tried her best to stop the bleeding by pressing a cloth on the injury the whole way there, but as it got harder for her to move, she realised how much she bled.

 

She still managed to reach the last floor without bumping into anyone, but instead of going in Dongwoo's apartment, she went straightly to hers, since her doctor knew the passcode to it, and she had all the needed equipment there.

 

She sat on the sofa and took off her black leather jacket, then removed the now soaked cloth. Half of her white shirt has gone red long time ago, with an obvious darker spot where the bullet has made her way through the skin. The wound started bleeding profously again, but that wasn't what alerted Eunji. The voice of Sunggyu calling for Dongwoo and Sungjong on the other side made her catch her breath and stop moving, afraid he could hear her.

 

The wall between the two apartments was very thin, so it was easy for the voices to travel.

 

 

'How did he get in?' she questioned, although she expected him to know the passcode by now.

 

'Good thing I never told him about this apartment.' she sighed, still not totally relaxed.

 

Sunggyu's calling stopped, so she assumed he left and decided to move to her room.

 

 

But Eunji had a bad habit of understeamating her injuries. Since she couldn't sense anything, she forgets how bad it affects her body. The diffuclty to move was always followed by an unbearable dizziness, which led to her legs giving up after few steps, her falling behind the sofa and a loud thud.

 

'Thank god he left or he co...'

 

Click. The door seperating the two apartments opened and light footsteps were heard.

 

Eunji froze in her spot, not knowing what to do anymore. Her head started spinning and she couldn't focus anymore. She leaned her head on the back of the sofa, the only thing keeping her from slipping to unconsciousness is the light footsteps descending the stairs and nearing her.

 

She dreaded this moment so much. The moment Sunggyu would see her in that state.

 

'What would be his reaction? What am I supposed to tell him? What lie am I supposed to tell him this time?' she kept asking herself.

 

The footseps' sound stopped and a pair of distressed eyes met her unfocused ones.

 

Sunggyu's eyes moved to her injured shoulder. To say that he was frightned at the moment was an understatement. The sight of blood had always made him dizzy, so seeing someone as dear to him as Eunji bleeding like that was insupportable. He didn't help but to think of the past, the idea of losing someone precious made him suffocate.

 

He slowly croushed besides her to get a better look at her, but Eunji lost conscious before his trumbling hands could reach her face.

 

 

Panic started taking over Sunggyu's senses.

 

“EUNJI? EUNJI-AH!!” he started tapping her cheeks slightly, hoping for any response, but there was none.

 

He took away the cardigan he was wearing and started pressing at her wound with one hand, while the other hand was fumbling with his phone, his mind running rounds trying to remember the emergency's number.

 

Sunggyu was too distressed to notice the apartment's door opening and the rushing of foot to his direction.

 

“Sunggyu?! What are you doing here?!” Sungjong croushed next to him, while a young woman run to Eunji, examining her.

 

 

“E-Eunji!! SAVE HER!!” he stuttered, his voice choking in his throat, eyes tearing up.

 

“Sungjong, help me move her to the bedroom!” the woman said.

 

 

Sungjong nodded and tried his best prying Sunggyu from their way.

 

 

“Sunggyu, stay here, I'll be back right away!”

 

Sungjong and the woman lifted Eunji cautiously and moved her away from him.

 

By the time Sungjong came back, Sunggyu was a trembling mess, holding his blood stained cardigan, staring at his bloodied hands, his eyes red and blurred with tears.

 

“Sunggyu... Sunggyu...” Sungjong shook him few times, averting his attention from the mess around them.

 

"Come on, you need to wach your hands."

 

He then led him to the bathroom, and even washed his hands for him. How could he not when Sunggyu looked like a lost kid? It made him worry.

 

"She's going to be fine, don't worry. Dr Park is taking care of her wounds." he reassured him.

 

Sunggyu just hummed absent mindedly.

 

"Maybe you should go home. The surgery is going to take long, and then Dr Park is going to put her to sleep for hours."

 

"I'm going to wait for her..." he answered firmly. Sungjong didn't protest and let him be.

 

Sunggyu was thankful for the elder when he just cleaned the blood from the leaving room and offered him a clean shirt when he saw a few red spots on his shirt.

 

The situation itself was stressful enough without all that amount of blood, it almost made him pass out.

 

Sungjong on the other hand, seemed extremely used to all of it. He was so calm and composed, busying himself with his laptop.

 

'He seems so used to this. I don't wanna know how many times it hapened before.' he held his hands together to lessen their trumbling. Calming down was very hard at the moment.

 

 

"Sorry, I need to go. I have an emergency. I'll be back in few hours, okay?" Sungjong said after receiving a call, and just left.

 

An hour later, Dr Park came out, taking off her white gown.

 

Sunggyu stood up imediately, his heartbeats never slowing down.

 

"how's she?" he asked right away.

 

"Where's Sungjong?" she looked around searching for the guy.

 

"He left earlier. How's she?" he questioned again.

 

"Wait a sec." she raised her hand, getting her phone and calling Sungjong. She stepped in the kitchen taking with the older, before coming back with a more relaxed look.

 

"You're not going to answer my question?" he was impatient and her ignoring him added to his concern.

 

"She's just fine. The bullet didn't reach her bones, fortunately. she won't wake up for hours."

 

"B-bullet?" Sunggyu had his doubts, but he kept denying them.

 

'Why would someone shoot her?' he shook the question from his mind, there's still other important things to think of at that moment.

 

"Can I see her?" he asked hesitantly.

 

"You can, but I need to talk to you first;" she said, making him confused.

 

'Why would she need to talk to me?'

 

The woman sat on a couch and kept waiting for him to sit as well.

 

"You're Kim Sunggyu, right? I'm Dr Park Bom. I used to be one of your mother's interns, Dr Lee Misook." she started, smiling fondly.

 

"Ah, yes." that's all what he said, not interested in the introduction part.

 

"So, you're Eunji's boyfriend?" she questioned, surprising him.

 

"No, not exactly."

 

"Boyfriend or not, I can see that both of you are really close and that you care about her. Sungjong told me that she trusts you that much. So I'm going to do so as well."

 

She seemed like she was going to tell him something important, so he gave her all of his attention.

 

"I gave Eunji a dose of a medication that will help her heal fast, really fast. Usually when I give her this shot, Dongwoo or Sungjong are here to stay by her side, since I can't stay for so long. But now, I think I'm going to trust her with you."

 

"How bad is it?" he asked dreadfully.

 

"Very."

 

"But I thought she doesn't feel pain." he said.

 

"So you know about that too. No need for me to lie, then. She doesn't feel pain, but this medication is special. Not anyone can take it. If it wasn't for her analgesia, I would never give it to her." she admitted.

 

"So, it's illegal." Sunggyu guessed. The woman smirked.

 

"Clever, as I thought. Does that matter?"

 

"And who allowed you to use it on her?" he asked spitifully, not liking the revelation she just told him.

 

"Eunji, and her father of course. He's our boss and sponsor. But that's not what's important right now. Even though she won't feel the pain caused by the medication, her body's temprature will rise dramatically, she needs to be watched over, at least until she wakes up." she explained for him.

 

"Can't you give her something for her fever?"

 

"No, it can kill her, both medications are toxic together. The best way is the traditional one." she answered in a calm tone. "Unless you don't wanna do it."

 

"Do you think I have the heart to do so?"

 

 

 

 

 

Sunggyu stepped in the huge room. It was his first time getting in it, the decor giving a strong Eunji vibe. Very extravegent but simple and neat at the same time, a little bit girlish and modern.

 

The aching in his heart worsned when he saw the body resting on the bed. Eunji's face was very pale, lips white as paper, hair deshivered with a little bit of dried blood in it and her shoulder wrapped in white bandages.

A frown was plastred on her sweaty forehead.

 

"Nightmares, they make her look like that." Dr Park put a bucket full with water and ice on the floor.

 

"Here," she handed him two towels. "this will be enough, it will reduce the fever eventually.” she looked at her hand watch. “I should go back to the lab, I'll come back if something's wrong." she picked her things.

 

"How will you know?" Sunggyu asked.

 

"I just know, bye Sunggyu, pass my greetings to your mother." she said before leaving.

 

 

 

 

Hours passed with Sunggyu in the same position, sitting on a chair next to the bed, wiping Eunji's face and neck with the cold cloth, sometimes her arms and feet.

She was burning and he wondered how could a normal person survive all that heat putting her body on flames. The ice has long melted and the water started getting warm.

Sunggyu rushed to the kitchen and brought more ice to add to the bucket.

 

When he came back, he found Eunji shifting and mumbling in her sleep.

 

'Another nightmare...' He sighed.

 

She had many of them already it made him worry, and wonder whether it was a normal thing or it was only because of the fever.

 

All he could do is to stay by her side and hold her hand, brushing her hair softly with his fingers and whispering soothing words until she calmed down.

 

Night fell and Eunji was still asleep, the good thing is that her body temperature dropped and her face started regaining its color, which made Sunggyu wonder again about this medication she took, how powerful it could be.

 

The hours he spent there reminded him of the times he would spend waiting for Minggyu to wake up every time his health worsen. The feeling of being completely useless, not being able to do anything to help the person suffering on the bed in front him was a living hell.

 

A tug on his hand brought him to his senses. He was still holding her hand after the last nightmare.

He noticed how her eyes started opening. She was waking up. It made him relieved.

 

"Eunji." he called softly.

 

Eunji's eyes were still trying to focus, her sight still blurry, but she still recognised the voice calling her name and the tender hand holding hers.

 

She looked at her side, feeling bittersweet for seeing Sunggyu by her side.

She really wanted to see him, he always had this special ability to make her feel better just by his mere presence. But she didn't like being in that state in front of him, weak and injured.

 

 

"Can you hear me?" he asked with a shaky voice, eyes flooding with concern.

 

Eunji nodded slightly, dry after all those hours of sleep. Sunggyu seemed to notice that, so he handed her a glass of water right away, which she drank gladly.

 

"How are you feeling?" Sunggyu almost cursed himself for asking that kind of question.

 

"Better, I'm no more dizzy." she gave him a weak smile.

 

"Do you want to eat something? Porridge maybe?"

 

"No thanks, I don't feel like it."

 

"The doctor said you need to eat though." he lied, trying to convince her more.

 

"I doubt Bom would say that. I need to wait 24 hours after taking the medication to eat, that's one of the rules." she said, her voice getting steadier.

 

"How long did you stay here?" she asked, noticing his red eyes and worned out face.

 

"I don't know, twelve hours, or maybe thirteen? I didn't see the time." he shrugged his shoulers.

 

"You should go home now, you stayed more than enough. You probably didn't eat either." she guessed.

 

"I can't leave you alone." he answered without hesitation.

 

"I will be just fine. I will probably go to sleep and Sungjong will come later." she gave him a reassuring look.

 

"I can't, I won't and you can't force me. I'm staying, until Sungjong comes back, at least." he said determinedly.

 

Eunji just gave in and couldn't protest more.

 

I'll take this back to the kitchen.” he stood up and took the bucket and towels with him, as a way to avoid the awkward silence.

 

He stayed their longer than needed, to gain his composure than went back with a bottle of water, he predected she'll need to drink a lot.

 

 

So what is this place?” he examined the room again, avoiding looking at Eunji.

 

My apartment.” she emphasised. “The other apartment is Dongwoo's, he bought with his own money and he's living there with Sungjong. My father bought this aprtment when I chose to live with my bother. We ended up connecting them by a door, easier for me since I spend most of my time there.” she explained, relieved he didn't ask anything less. But his response was nothing more than an understanding nod.

 

Are you okay?” she was the one to ask this time, woorried about him.

 

I don't think you should be worried about me, after all I wasn't the one who got shot.” he deadpanned. "You're not going to tell me?" he questioned in a low voice, almost glaring at her.

 

"You don't need to know." she answered without hesitation.

 

"Why? Why can't you tell me? Don't you think I have the right to know?" he said, almost pleading for getting answers.

 

"The less you know the safer you'll be." that was the only answer she could come with.

 

"Oh really?! So you're trying to protect me now?" he snapped. "from what? I just saw you bathing in your own blood! What could've been worse than seeing you in that state? Do you know how afarid I was of losing you? Do you know how torturous it was to stay by your side for hours not able to do anything with you fighting against death? You just made me relive the same thing that happened with Mingyu and I can't imagine something being more cruel than that you know?" his eyes started getting red again.

 

"S-sunggyu, you don't understand..." she tried protesting, not finding any more excuses, the mension of Mingyu forcing her to stay silent.

 

"What do you think I don't get? You being dangerous? Staying around you being life threatning? Oh I know it ! All of it! Since the moment I met you people kept warning me, but I ignored them, ready to put everything on sake, even my life. Because I prefer being shot in the head by some psycho than being pushed away by you or seeig you like that again!" he didn't mean for the last part to come as a shout, but it did, and it made her flinch.

 

"That's how much I fell in love with you." his tone softned, expression desperate.

 

"I-I can't... accept your feelings." she said hesitantly, feeling like for uttering those words, especially after he poured all of his heart's content to her.

 

He stayed still for a while, silently looking at her, waiting for her to break the wall and take her words back, but it never came and he lost hope.

 

"I see..." he said calmly, trying his best to hide the hurt in his eyes.

 

"I think my confession must've been really burdening for you, especially with all the happenings in your life. I'm sorry for adding to your stress. I should be going then."

 

He stood up, his eyes still deeply gazing at hers, and leaned in, pressing a kiss on her forehead.

 

"Get well soon. Good bye."

 

Eunji hated her self for staying still and not stopping him from leaving.

 

 

 

"Sungjong, good thing you came." Sunggyu didn't expect to find the guy in the living room.

 

"You're leaving?"

 

Sunggyu nodded. "It's getting late. Eunji woke up. Take good care of her." he added before bidding him goodbye.

 

 

 

 

 

"How are feeling?" Sungjong sat on the chair.

 

"I can move my hand, I think it's almost healed." she answered absentmindedly.

 

"I'm not speaking about that." he gave her a knowing look. She averted her eyes.

 

"He'll get over it."

 

"What about you? Will you be okay?" he asked in a concerned tone, hand resting on hers.

 

Eunji nodded, but it didn't convince him, heck, she wasn't even convinced by her actions.

 

"Don't do something you'll regret later. If you're stopping yourself because of that incident then you're being stupid. Don't leave your feelings for yourself. You may think it's for the best, but it could destroy both of you."

 

His words made her feel even worse.

 

"It's too late. He won't accept them." she mumbled.

 

"It's never too late to say the truth." he ruffled her hair. "Now go back to sleep, it's still not fully healed."

 

 

 

 

 

Sunggyu woke up drowning in sweat. It's been a long time since he last got a nightmare. Well, it was more of a memory than a nightmare. It was an image of two bodies laying on the floor drenched from head to toe, while one of them, Mingyu's body, was soaked with red liquid. It happened a long time ago but it still looked really vivid in his dreams.

 

Seeing Eunji like that the other day must've trigged those memories, it's not like they ever left his mind anyways.

 

Going back to sleep was almost impossible after those nightmares, but he didn't feel like doing anything.

 

That's what he's been feeling since the day on the incident.

 

His friends at school kept pestering him about his bad mood and Eunji's dissapearance, but he refused to tell them anything. It's not like they couldn't see that they were related.

 

 

 

 

"Hi mom!" he said in an over cheerful tone.

 

"Sunggyu! What are you doing this late still up?" he rolled his eyes at her scolding.

 

"I miss you too mom." he answered, a hint of seriousness in his sarcasm.

 

"Is everything okay? You look like you didn't sleep for days." his mother was always fast to catch on.

 

"Just stressed with school." he lied.

 

"I hope you're not hiding anything from me." she glared at him. He rolled his eyes.

 

“As if I can do so. I bet my father has been telling you everything about me.”

 

“Well, of course he need to tell me everything about my dear son and his friends.” she spoke in a matter of fact tone.

 

“Please don't tell me you have any objections about my friends? Believe me they're nothing like Heecheul or Junghyun.”

 

“I told yoy they all seem okay. Well that tall guy looks a little bit suspecious but other than that they're fine.” she stopped, Sunggyu sensed she still had something to say. “The other girl though...”

 

“Mom no, not you too!” he whined. “Don't listen to what he says it's not true.”

 

“I told you I'm fine with it. The girl seems nice but her family is … I don't know...” she gave him a concerned look. “I trust your choices, so just be careful, okay?”

 

“Don't worry. I can handle that much.” he smiled reassuringly.

 

'After all, I'm still protecting her from what people think about her.' he sighed at the thought, his mind replying the events that happened few days ago and he remembered something.

 

"Mom, I forgot to ask you. By any chance, do you know Dr Park Bom?"

 

"The doll doctor? of course I do! But how do you know her?" his mother raised an eyebrow.

 

"My friend was sick so I escorted him to the hospital. I met her there. She seems to be mean." he lied.

 

"Not mean, but crazy! She's been doing some weird researches since she was a student, but many doctors banned her from proceeding with them. Most of her ideas were against the morals of our job." his mother's explanation raised his curiosity.

 

"What was it about?"

 

"She had a lot of crazy idea. but mainly, she tried to use the patient's DNA to make medications and cures. From the theotrical side, it can be very effective and make a revolution in the world, on the other side, the second effects are enough to kill the patient. One of her researches was about how to wake up coma's patients, irrelevent." his mother shook her head in dissaproval.

 

"That's crazy." he said in a little voice, trying to imagine how bad the medication can effect Eunji.

 

"You said she's working in a hospital? weird! I thought she'd be working on her researches in the dark by now. Well, good thing she gave them up."

 

"Yeah...it is."

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's been four days since the incedent, and Sunggyu was still contemplating whether to visit Eunji or not. In fact, he'd spend in front of her apartment building, before leaving, not finding the courage to face her.

 

He was tired. Chasing her and trying to make her open for him drained him mentally and emotionally. He wasn't ready to meet her, yet.

 

He leaned against a street lamp, staring at the top apartent of the building.

 

“Sunggyu?” a voice called from behind. It made him turn abruptly.

 

Eunji was carrying a plastic bag, appearantly she just came from the store. She looked nothing like a sick person. And even if it made him surprised, he was glad she went back to being healthy.

 

“How are you?” those were the first words he was able to say.

 

“Much more better. I completely healed.” she smiled, the worry evident in her eyes.

 

“Good to hear that.” he said in a cold tone, not totally convinced.

 

“Are you sick? You don't look fine.” Eunji asked, concerned for him.

 

She noticed how pale he became and the heavy dark bags under his eyes.

 

“Why do you think it is?” he didn't intend for his response to come as harsh, a sense of satisfaction and guilt hitting him when he saw the hurt flashing in her eyes.

 

“Anyways, I came to talk about tomorrow's test. I don't think I'm in the mood to practice with you, so just memorize the lines and we'll just do it, I don't care about the mark I'm going to get.” he deadpanned.

 

Eunji just nodded.

 

“Let's meet tomorrow then.”and he just left. Eunji sighed, the guilt coming back to her.

 

When she went back to her room, she found his now clean cardigan on her bed. Sungjong must've washed it, but remembering Sunggyu's face that day, she doubt he'll wear it again.

 

Sunggyu's expression the moment he saw her injury was still vivid in her mind. The fright, fear, pain and guilt, the trumbling hands, the shaky voice calling for her. She knew how shocked he must've been, and it only added to the guilt she felt.

 

'I only made him suffer...' she passed her fingers over the texture, a sigh escaping her lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Eunji!! Where have you been?” Bora hugged her tightly, relieved to see her back.

 

“I'm sorry for making you worry. I caught a cold abd couldn't come.” she apologized.

 

“We're glad to see you back! We missed you!” Krystal joined in the hug.

 

“You're absence resulted in a very gloomy Sunggyu, you know?! Oh speaking of the devil, there, he came!” Krystal waved at him.

 

Sunggyu just greeted them, avoiding looking at Eunji and just walked past them to the auditorium.

 

“What's with him?” Bora looked questionably at him, then at Eunji, kind of understanding the situation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“The fourth senario, get on stage!” it was already their turn.

 

Sunggyu was the first to get on stage, Eunji following suit and at cue they started their act.

 

The start went smoothly, their expressions and voices were on point. They needn't to get in the mood of the scene because they were living it already. But then came the highlight of the scene.

 

“Did you ever take us seriously? Our relationship, did it ever mean anything for you?” Sunggyu almost shouted accusatevly. His tone startling Eunji, she knew he meant it.

 

“S-sunggyu, you don't understand. You know how I feel about you. I'm sorry I made you think otherwise, but...”

 

“But what?” he got worked out more than he should. “See!! that's the problem! You're always hiding things from me! I can't tell you this, I can't tell you that and it's a secret. Those are your only excuses! When you feel like telling me everything you know where to find me.” he gave her one last hurt look.

 

He took a few steps waiting for her to stop him but she didn't.

 

“S-sunggyu please. Don't leave me...” she said weakly, he stopped on his track. “I know I hurt you a lot. I know that I don't deserve you...” she mumbled, before taking a deep breath to find the power to talk again.

 

'What is she doing? This is not in the script.'

 

“I kept denying my feelings for so long, but you said it yourself, that my feelings were obvious, that you saw them and that I was only lying to myself.” her voice started getting shaky.

 

Sunggyu turned to face her, the surprise evident on his face.

 

It made Eunji realise her what she just did but it was too late to stop.

 

“I never let anyone into my life before. The cold facade worked with everyone before, but not with you I think, you could see through it and you tried so hard to let me open up.” she smiled bitterly.

 

“You were right, I rejected you because I was a coward. I was scared of how much your presence affected my life, how I started to smile more and how I started to depend on you. Feeling my ice cold heart melt was very scary, I couldn't tolerate it.” she put her fisted hand on her chest.

 

“Why did it hurt in here whenever I saw you sad, angry or in pain? Why did my heart refuse to feel my own pain, but it felt yours? Why did it hurt like crazy when you wern't around but beated so fast when you were close? Those questions made me go insane!” she lowered her head.

 

“But my stuborness ruined everything. And in the process of protecting you, I ended up hurting you more.” she took another breath, before rising her head again, meeting his softning eyes.

 

“I know it's too late and probably won't fix what was broken, but I want to say this at least for once.” she paused, her hands fisted, eyes lost in Sunggyu's dark orbs.

 

“Kim Sunggyu, I like you.” she finally confessed.

 

To say that Sunggyu expected this will be totally a lie. Heck, he thought she'll never admit it.

 

But there she was, on a satge, in a room full of people that will probably keep talking about this till their next lives, saying all the words she never had the courage to tell him before.

Her eyes were glassy, and for the first time ever, he could read them without any difficulty. Not because he was getting better at seeing through them, but because she was the one exposing her feelings for him.

 

But Sunggyu was willing to pull on other strings, to take things further and push her off the edge.

 

'Screw the script!'

 

He scoffed loudly, putting a disunterrested expression.

 

“One day you say you don't have feelings for me and push me away and the other you say you like me! Am I joke for you? Or did you think that I'll keep liking you and wait for you after all what you said?”

 

Eunji flinched at his words, her eyes getting more blurry.

 

“You said you like me? What a joke! I don't believe you. No, I don't wanna belive you!” he snapped.

 

Eunji's expression fell more. Sunggyu didn't like seeing her in that broken, but he needed to say those words.

 

The sense of regret he had lessened when he saw a tear roll down her cheek.

 

 

 

'I think it worked. The ice is finally melting.'

 

 

 


 

So... another chapter... I wasn't going to upload this but I just did. I hope it matchs your expectations.

There are a lot of typos and I tried my best to fix it but my new laptop refuses to elaborate, I mean even the format isn't the same >.<

 

Don't be silent readers and tell me what you think about the plot, story, chapter and all ;) 

 

ps: I think I said this last time, I'll only updatee when I have an ectra chapter ready, because in a few weeks I'll have tests and I won't be able to write as much.

See you guys next chapter :****