THE ANSWER

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

 “Eunji...” Sunggyu muttered, extending his hands more in hope to touch her, but she was only getting farther.

 

Myungsoo watched as his friend was swaying over the edge, walking carelessly and risking to fall from there.

A single could make a huge difference at the moment and the boy couldn’t afford losing any more time, so getting over the chock, he sprinted to the fence in the speed of lightning.

Sunggyu had sped up his steps making him lose his balance and waver over the edge but Myungsoo’s hand reached for him in time, pulling him to the safe side.
Although the drop to the ground was quiet hurtful, it was the last thing on Sunggyu’s mind, his eyes desperately searching for his lover in all directions.

 

“Eunji! Where did she go? She was here a second ago!” he tried climbing back on the fence, but his friend pulled him down again,

 

“EUNJI’S NOT THERE!! SHE’S DEAD! GONE! YOU NEED TO WAKE UP!”

 

For a moment, everything stopped and only the sound of wind echoed in the space.

Myungsoo’s words were like a harsh slap to Sunggyu’s face. It made him finally gain his conscious back.

For him, it felt like few seconds ago he was still in front of the surgery room, listening to the surgeon’s words. He didn’t remember anything of what happened from that moment till then, as if he had fallen in a deep slumber and had only woke up.

 

‘I'm so sorry for your loss. The time of her death was at 13:42, 28th April 2009.’

 

No… You’re lying to me… it can’t be true.” Sunggyu kept shaking his head in denial, eyes getting glassy.

 

He was at his breaking point.

 

Sunggyu, you have to accept the reality, even if it hurts like hell. Please. We want our friend back, we need you back.” Myungsoo emphasized, making Sunggyu’s tears finally fall. He engulfed his friend in a hug, him too becoming a crying mess.

 

It’s okay. It will all pass. Let us help you and lean on us. We will get over this together, I promise.”

 

Sunggyu’s tears were endless that day, drowning him out of energy and putting him in a long night sleep.
 

Everyone too shocked by the what happened that day and how they almost lost Sunggyu. If it wasn’t for Myungsoo, he could’ve ended up dead.
But they were more relieved because he finally regained his consciousness.

 

Well, the relief didn’t last for too long, because the boy only got worse.

 

Sunggyu stopped eating and taking his medications as a start. He refused to meet anyone and would lock himself in his room for hours without coming out, even when his friends came to visit him.

At that time, he was really mourning, they could understand that much by the sound of muffled sobs they’d hear occasionally whenever they came near his door steps.
 

There was another sound that Mr Kim had became used to during the night. It was the sound of Sunggyu’s cries and screams, as a proof that his son never passed a night without having a terrible nightmare if not two or more.
 

 

The boy had spent week on that same state before finally deciding to go out. Hakyeon insisted on driving him to his destination and Sunggyu opposed the idea at first, before giving in front of the eldest stubbornness.

Hakyeon had kind of guessed the destination, but was surprised nevertheless. Even Sunggyu didn’t expect himself to go there that soon. He wasn’t ready but it was something he had to do.

The walk up the hill was extremely painful for him, as if he was walking on broken pieces of glass. He had left the eldest in the car because it was something that he needed to do alone.

 

Jung Eunji’
28/04/1991  -  28/04/2009’

 

While reading the words engraved on her grave-stone, the last hope he had that everything that had happened was a bad dream vanished.

Sunggyu knelt in front of the grave, his trembling fingers caressing the white marble of the grave and once more, he couldn’t control his tears that fell on the bouquet of red roses he had on his lap.

 

W-why are you here? Why are y-ou laying in this c-old place? WHY?!” his cracking cry echoed in the empty graveyard.

 

It’s all my fault.” his sobs subsided and his tone became harsh and cold. “If I only wasn’t a weakling and had protected you that day. No,” he shook his head.

 

“If I didn’t come into your life at all, if I stayed away… no, no no! If I wasn’t born at all, if I died before being born, you would still be alive. You would be living happily with loving parents and brother. You would’ve celebrated your sweet eighteen’s like any other teenage girl with your friends and even your boyfriend.” he said bitterly.

 

But because of someone like me, you had to live your whole life in misery, and even when the time came and you had though that you could be happy, I had to ruin that for you. Because of someone like me, you lost your life.”

 

Memories of their times together were playing in his mind. Eunji’s smiles, laughter, pouts, voice, eyes, blushing cheeks,her sulking or angry expressions, her touches, hugs, kisses… It all was so overwhelming that he felt his heart constrict more in his chest.

 

I won’t see any of that anymore.’

 

And then memories of their breakup and of her last minutes in his hold replaced all of those sweet memories, making him more disgusted with himself.

 

It could’ve been better if you just hated me.”
 

 

 

-
 

 

 

Dragging his feet and whole body, Sunggyu entered the penthouse. Usually, it would be empty at that time of the day, since he’s father would only come from work at the evening.

But this time, there was the sound of a conversation coming from the living room and two large suitcases at the entrance.

 

Mom?” Sunggyu frowned in surprise at the sight of the woman sitting on the couch, signs of exhaustion and worry showing on her face.

 

As soon as she was aware of her son’s presence in the apartment, Mrs Lee run to him, hugging him like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Oh Sunggyu! My son! I’m so sorry for only coming now. It must’ve been hard on you!” by the sound of her voice, he knew that she was crying, which made him tear up as well.

 

He really missed her and needed her. But something deep inside was holding him back from returning the hug. Mrs Lee noticed how his hands stayed by his sides but she didn’t understand the meaning behind his gesture.

 

“I know that you’re mad at me and you have the right to. But I really couldn’t see your father’s texts. My phone and computer were stolen and there was no signal in the area I volunteered in. if I only knew about what happened, I would’ve came earlier. I’m so sorry son, I really am.”

 

And with a shaken voice, Sunggyu replied a curt ‘It’s okay’ before backing freeing himself from her hold. He forced his lips upward in a poor attempt to smile.

 

“You must be hungry, let’s eat together, since both of you are here.”

 

it’s been years since the three of them were in a the same place together, let alone share a meal. It was silent, no one dared to speak. It wasn’t because his parents were divorced, the two had always remained good friends, but mainly because they kept looking at their son worriedly.

Sunggyu kept nudging the food with his chopsticks, staring at it hostly, his mind obviously somewhere else. Even when Mrs Lee told him that she’ll be staying at the penthouse with him, he only nodded blankly.
 

-
 

After the dinner, Sunggyu insisted on doing the dishes, sending his mother to her room and Mr Kim had left to his offictel.
The teenage boy was on his way to his room when he saw the light coming out of Mingyu’s room. He kind of expected his mother to pass by there since she was at the penthouse. Sunggyu himself would always spend time in there. It made him feel a little bit closer to his brother, since all of his belongings were in there.
Mrs Lee was crying, hugging a frame with a picture of her and her two sons on it.

Sunggyu put his hand on her shaking shoulder, making sure not to startle her.
 

His mother titled her head to look at him, with a smile on her lips.

“Don’t misunderstand. I’m not crying because he’s dead. I believe that he’s in a better place, watching over you, us. I’m just grateful that you’re okay. I don’t think I can handle losing you as well.”

 

Her words, caused in an unexpected reaction from Sunggyu. Pain flushed in his eyes as he retreated his hand and a second later he run out of the room, leaving his mother as clueless as ever.

 

Mrs Lee followed her son suit but she was more confused to find that he had locked his room from inside.

 

“Sunggyu! Open the door!” she knocked on the door for a few times. “At least tell me what’s wrong! Honey open the door!”

 

“I’m okay mom. I’m going to wash out.” Sunggyu replied from behind the door.

 

Even though she could only hear his muffled voice, she knew that he was crying, worrying her more.
 

 

 

-

 

 

Cold water was running from the faucet, filling the bathtub where a sobbing, fully dressed Sunggyu was sitting. He was hugging his legs to his chest, chin resting on his knees and countless of thoughts running through his mind.

 

Pathetic.. useless.. source of misery and bad luck.. burden.. a weakling, a coward and a crybaby.. that’s what I am and that’s what I had always been, since the very beginning. She was right, I’m as good as dead right now.’

 

Sunggyu’s eyes traveled to the shaving blade that was resting on the side of the tub. It has always been there since the day he regained his conscious. The sight of it filled his mind with many ideas, ideas that could end all of his suffering, ideas that will make the pain, regret and guilt vanish all at once.

 

He took the tool device and kept studying it for few seconds before nearing it to his wrest.

 

‘I’m just grateful that you’re okay. I don’t think I can handle losing you as well.’

 

The blade was already on his skin, cutting slightly on his flesh before he let it slid from his fingers and broke down once again.

He would always back away in the last moment because of one reason. He didn’t want to hurt people that loved him. He knew how much pain his irresponsible act could cause. He couldn’t do that to them, not after all they did to hiim and not when he had an unfinished business on hand.

 

‘You need to tell them. You can’t run away forever.’
 

 

 

-
 



 

Mornings are usually hectic at Woollim high, so the hype students in the classroom weren’t a rare view. But the sight of four particular students being extremely silent was too hard to get used to. They were usually too noisy even without the previous year’s addition. But now that two of the clique stopped coming, their new behavior was quiet understandable.

Sungyeol was still partially asleep, with his head resting on his desk. Myungsoo was engrossed in the song he was listening to through his headphones, his eyes closed and head bobbing with the beat. Bora was playing some new addictive game on her phone to distract herself while Krystal was lazily scrolling down the news feed.

Even when the whole classroom went silent so suddenly, they didn’t notice it, until some one had dropped his backpack on Sunggyu’s desk.
The four of them thought that it was one of their classmates trying to be rebellious or something, so they turned to the desk in anger, ready to attack.
To their utter surprise, none other than Kim Sunggyu was sitting there.

By the time they overcome their shock and were about to react, the teacher came in, starting the lesson right away. So they sticked to just smiling gladly to their friend for the moment, they can bombard him with questions later.

 

Sunggyu’s comeback to school was unexpected, even for his parents, since it was his decision. He didn’t miss being in school, that’s for sure. It was the place that reminded him most of Eunji after all. But being there was way better than staying at home with his mother, or looking at her in the eyes, or even speaking to her.

 

It happens whenever he’s hiding something from someone. he’d avoid them because the long he stays with them, the more guilty he’d feel.
But being at school had its cons too. There, he heard all kind of rumors that followed Eunji around. Everyone had made their own assumptions about her whereabouts, but none of them had guessed that she had died. And no matter how furious it made him be, he couldn’t do anything. He had to control his temper.
that’s why he’d spend most of his free time in the spot where he used to sit usually with Eunji.

 

“I knew I’d find you here.” Myungsoo sat next to him  while handing him a little pack of juice. “Tired of their bull?”

 

Sunggyu nodded.

 

“I know. You really should had considered delaying your graduation. You missed almost the whole term and we’re only a week apart from tests.”

 

“I don’t really care. I may drop to the drop ranks but I won’t be failing.” Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders.

 

Myungsoo was about to reply but Sunggyu, who didn’t seem that interested in the topic, beat him to it.

 

“How’s things with Hoya. I didn’t see him for a while.”

 

Myungsoo frowned at the mention of his brother. “He tried contacting me for a few times but I just ignored him. I didn’t see him since the fune-” he bit his tongue for bringing that up. He was grateful that Sunggyu acted as if he didn’t hear anything.

 

“So you’re still ignoring him.” Sunggyu sat back on the bench. “Myungsoo-ah, I won’t ask you to forgive him, but let me give you an advice. Don’t run away from your problems, face them before it’s too late. You never know how much time you, or the other part, still have. Don’t let regret slip into your life.”

 

Saying that, he sounded years older, as if he experienced all the pain in the world. Maybe he didn’t, but he had his share at a young age, which was enough.

Myungsoo kept staring at his friend for a while, understanding what he was implying and where his advice came from.

 

“I will. But you too, you have to do the same. Don’t you even run away from problems ever again. You have enough regrets as it is.”

 

“I won’t. I promise.” Sunggyu assured him.

 

‘It’s time for me to stop running away, isn’t it?’



 

-

 

 

“We’re back with the latest news about the corruption case of The Jang Groups. Yesterday, the last trial for the case had been held, announcing the final judgment. Nam Woohyun was found innocent and was released this morning. Mrs Kim Misook had been found guilty and got a life sentence. Many other well known figures were also dragged in the case and had been arrested and anothert trial will be held next week...”

 

Even though he was related to the case, Sunggyu wasn’t the least interested in listening to the sound of the radio any longer. He already knew what was going to be said. He knew every single update on the case, that’s why he was on the taxi, driving him to the Jang groups headquarters.

He’s been wanting to meet Woohyun for a while, since he was the only person who knew about his secret, but he wasn’t allowed to visit him in prison.
Now that he was out, he was sure that he’ll find him at the HQ  or at least Dongwoo would tell him about his whereabouts.

 

The elevator dinged when it reached the top floor. Sunggyu walked to the familiar office that was once Mrs  Kim’s.
The secretary wasn’t at her usual spot and the door of the office was open, a few voices coming out of it.

 

Sunggyu was about to knock and enter if the conversation wasn’t seem that serious and didn’t catch his attention.

 

“What do you mean by you didn’t tell him?” It was Woohyun’s voice, and he sounded really angry.

 

“It’s risky. He can draw attention and ruiny everything I’ve done so far to protect her.” Mr Jung replied.

 

“yeah right! Better let him suffer, since taking the right decision is a real pain in the !” Woohyun voice was dripping with sarcasm.

 

'What are they fighting over?'

 

“You have no right to judge my decision. I know what I’m doing.”

 

“If you know what you’re doing, then he wouldn’t try to jump from up high!”

 

‘Are they speaking about me?’ Sunggyu frowned.

 

“Woohyun please. The doctor said he was hallucinating and he got better. It won’t happen again.” Dongwoo tried to calm him down.

 

“You’re taking his side too?” Woohyun asked in disbelief. “Of course, as long as your sister is okay, who cares if Sunggyu end up killing himself!” Woohyun gritted.

 

‘Sister? Who are they talking about?’

 

“Out of all people, you should know how much I care for him!” Dongwoo snapped. “If we tell him, we’ll be putting him at risk too. I can’t do that to him again.”

 

“And letting him live his life with guilt doesn’t put him at risk at all?! He still thinks she’s dead for god’s sake!”

 

“Woohyun enough!” Mr Jung yelled at him. “I don’t see why you’re so worked up about it. When the right time comes, we will tell him that Eunji is alive. But not now.”

 

‘W-who’s alive?’

 

Sunggyu felt his whole body go numb at the piece of news he just heard. What was he supposed to feel? Should he even believe those words? He didn’t know, unless he asked. He pushed the door open and stepped into the office, announcing his presence.

 

“Eunji’s what?”

 

The three men in the room turned to him, having shocked expressions. The last thing they wanted, or at least Mr Jung wanted was for him to hear their conversation.

 

“Sunggyu! What are you doing in here?” Dongwoo asked.

 

“I asked a question.” he gritted, his expression hard to decipher. “I-s Eunji really alive?”

 

“Yes, she really is.” Mr Jung was the one to confirm it.

 

 

28th April 2009

 

 

Mr Jung was sitting in the waiting area with Dongwoo, Sungjong and Sunggyu. All of them were extremely nervous and scared about the result of the operation.

 

After two hours of wait, the president of the hospital, who was also his close friend from college days, came to see him. The man had heard about his daughter undergoing a surgery, so he took him to a cabinet next to the operation room, where he could watch the surgery from up close.
 

The surgeon had successfully take out the bullet and stitched the inner organs that were touched by the bullet. He had almost finished when Mr Jung received a call from Jihoon.

 

“What is it?”

 

“The police had caught Mrs Kim and we had moved TOP’s corpse and Chaerin’s body to the hospital. Well, she disappeared after they took out the bullet from her body. We’ve been searching for her but we couldn’t find her yet.” he reported.

 

“Keep searching.” Mr Jung replied before hanging up.

 

A round of applause echoed from the surgery room, the head surgeon bowing in the direction of the cabinet and the president of the hospital smiling proudly. He then turned to his friend. “It was successful. Congratulations.”

 

But Mr Jung had a dark expression on his face, eyes fixed on the girl laid on the surgery table.

 

“NO one should know about the success of this surgery. It should be kept a secret. Tell your employees this.” he ordered the president, confusing him.

 

After threatening some and bribing the others, the doctors and nurses present that day ended up keeping the secret, telling everyone that the patient died because of an arrest.

 

Mr Jung didn’t tell anyone either. With Dr Lee still on the run, he couldn’t afford exposing his daughter for another source of danger. But he had spelled the beans to Dongwoo and Sungjong after a few weeks of the incident.
 

 

-


 

The teenage boy wasn’t expecting this. It didn’t make sense, it was impossible even. It maybe a trick of his mind, he couldn’t fall for it so easily. He still needed to see it for himself.

 

“Where’s she?”

 

“I don’t think I can t-”

 

“WHERE’S SHE GOD DAMN IT!” Sunggyu snapped at Mr Jung.

 

“I will take you there.” It was Dongwoo who volunteered to do it, even if the older man was opposing the idea so much.

 

 

-

 

 

Sunggyu didn’t expect to be driven to the base, but he didn’t care, as long as he could get to know whether she really was alive, or he was hallucinating again.

 

He followed Dongwoo through the corridors of the second basement, where Dr Park’s lab was located. They stopped in front of a simple white door.

 

“I will leave you on your own from here. I will send Dr Park shortly.” with that, Dongwoo left him standing alone and walked away.

 

Hesitantly, he knocked a few times on the white door, before deciding to go in when no one answered him. He wasn’t really expecting anything,he hadn’t even have enough time to analyze the situation.

 

The smell of antiseptic hit his nostrils and the sound of a certain machine ticking was filling the room. Sunggyu was raised in a hospital so he kind of knew what did that sound indicate and to which machine it belonged to, but what he had never expected, was the person laid on the bed in the middle of the room. 

 

The sight alone was enough to drain his body from any energy.

 

“E-eun-ji...”

 

‘I must be hallucinating this time too.’ he thought. ‘But she looks real.’
 

 

although his mind was opposing the idea, Sunggyu found his body moving on its record and nearing the bed, with his hand reaching for her hand.

 

When he had finally put his hand on hers and felt the warmness of her skin, at that moment he finally realized that he wasn’t hallucinating. She was really there.

 

She may have many tubes attached to her body, some of them keeping her breathing, but if the oscillations on the screen meant anything, it was that she was alive.

 

Eunji was still a part of the world.

 

Such realization was enough to make Sunggyy feel like floating. His cheeks were already soaked with tears and he had to use his free hand to muffle his sobs.

 

“Y-ou’re al-i-ve!” he took her hand between his, kissing the back of it repeatedly, expressing his enormous gratefulness for the moment he thought was far from being possible.

 

“Yo-u rea-lly are al-ive!”

 

He started caressing her cheek, trying to make his last doubts vanish.

 

“You’re he-re! You di-dn’t l-eave.” Sunggyu tried hugging her without taking off any tub away from her body.

 

“I’m so sorry for only coming now! If I only knew earlier!” he wiped his tears with the back of his hand, his vision getting less blurred.

 

It was then when Sunggyu started noticing that Eunji didn’t even react. She wasn’t just sleeping. She was either drugged or…
At the end of the bed, a clipboard was hanged. Sunggyu flipped through it, reading a few notes about her condition.

 

‘In coma… Didn’t wake up since the surgery… all physical injuries healed…’

 

“Just because you’re mother is a doctor doesn’t mean you’re allowed to read this.” Dr Park came in, scolding him.

 

“Why isn’t she waking up yet?” he asked desperately.

 

“She had a mini a day after the surgery.” she answered with a big sigh. “I thought she’d wake up after a few days at max, but it’s been weeks.”

 

“But there’s still a big chance that she’s going to wake up, right?” he asked, hope written all over his face, and Dr Park couldn’t say no to that.

 

“I hope so.” she answered with a smile.

 

 

 

-
 

 

 

No one knew where Sunggyu spent his summer vacation at. Everyday he’d leave his home early at morning and come back late at night. His friends always asked him to hang with them but he always refuses. Even his mother who left everything behind just to keep him company had been totally ignored by him.

There was two reasons behind his behavior. First, he didn’t want them to ask him where he did spend his days at. He wasn’t a good liar to begin with and he always felt guilty after doing so.

 

The second reason was that he wanted to spend as much time with Eunji as possible. Even if she was still deep in coma and hadn’t show any progress, he wanted to be by her side, in hope that she’d wake up one day.

Sunggyu would spend his whole day in her room, talking to her as if she was awake, singing his and hers favorite songs, reading his favorite books for her… They told him such things helped, so he did them all in hope they’d cause a reaction, but in vain.

 

He didn’t lose hope though and kept being as persistent as ever.

 

-

 

“It has to be you
My burning heart says
It can’t be without you
The answer to my question
From your brown hair
To your white feet
You have to be mine

I want you back. If I don’t have you
I would just stand there. Not able to move
I want you back. Me without you
I swear I’ve never thought about it before

It has to be you
My burning heart says
It can’t be without you
The answer to my question
From your brown hair
To your white feet
You have to be mine”

 

His hand rested on the strings of the guitar, signaling the end of the song.

 

“That’s it. I still need to finish it though. How do you think about it as a start? Do you like it?” Sunggyu asked without the expectations to get any response.

“I’ve written this while thinking of you, just you.” he put his guitar by the side of the bed to take Eunji’s cold hands between his.

 

“I really want you back. I don’t care how long I’m going to wait, as long as you keep fighting and comes back to me, us."  he brushed her bangs away from her forehead.

"I miss your voice, I miss your warm look, I miss your angry glare, I miss your laugh, I just miss you so much. I wish that you could just wake up and get angry at me instead, scold me and hate me if you want. But don’t stay silent. I hate seeing you like this.” he had swore to himself that he will never cry in front of her ever again, but he couldn’t control his tears, not when she was in that state.

 

“I know that you’re probably punishing me for hurting you so much. I’m sorry, Eunji, I’m really sorry.”

 

For the first time since he started visiting her, the monotonous sound of the heart monitor changed and her heart rate increased. Sunggyu panicked and pushed the emergency button right away.
 

“Eunji! Please hang in there! Please!” he pleaded.

 

The whole medical team came and pushed him outside of the room to do their jobs, leaving him in a total devastated state.

The minutes felt like decades passing on him, before Dr park came out of the room with a relieved expression.

 

“Don’t worry. We were able to control the situation just in time.” she comforted him.

 

“What’s wrong? This is the first time something like this happens.” he aske din worry.

 

“Will you believe me if I tell that I have no idea what’s going on?” she pursed her lips. “I have to make some tests first to see.”

 

“Can I see her now?”

 

“No. not yet. Waith until we finish wih test and MRI.”

 

Sunggyu stayed in Dr Park’s lab, waiting for the results of the tests.

 

“So?” he asked when Dr Park entered her lab with a stack of papers in hand.

 

“It's worse than we expected. she's not responding to the drug anymore."

 

"W-what do you mean?" he asked fearfully.

 

"She may need a surgery. It's a little early to decide and I need to talk it over ith Mr Jung first. I don't want to scare you but she's running out of time."

 

When she said that, Sunggyu felt as if his body was drowning in a freezing lake. Just when he thought he really got her back, she was slipping out of his hands again.

 

'No it can't be! There must be a way!'

 

Sunggyu stayed quiet for a while, having a mental breakdown. Suddenly,  a thought crossed his mind.

 

“My mom had told me before that you did some researches about how to make comatose patients wake up, it it true?” he questioned.

 

To say that Dr Park had expected this, would be completely a lie, that’s why she was hesitant about answering his question.

 

“I did. I’m still doing them to be honest.”

 

“Can you tell me about them?”

 

 

-
 



 

“Aren’t you going to tell us where are you taking us?” Mrs Lee asked her son.

 

The night before, he had told her that he wanted to take her and his father somewhere, which resulted in the three of them in the car, with Hakyeon driving them somewhere they didn’t know.

 

“Just wait a little bit more, we’re almost there.” he replied.

 

“Isn’t this Jung Jinyoung’s company?” his father asked once they stepped out of the car.

 

“Come on. We should go in.” Sunggyu led them into the lobby and to the elevator and they had no other choice but to follow.

 

Their final destination was Mr Jung’s office. The said man was waiting for them with his son, Sungjong and Woohyun. All of them were also clueless about the reason why Sunggyu asked to meet all pf them nor why he brought his parents all along. Woohyun had a guess though.

 

“What’s going on Sunggyu?” Mr Jung asked after all of them sat in his office, waiting for him to talk.

 

“I’m still waiting for someone else.”

 

Before anyone could ask him about it, Dr Park came in the office, looking nervous.

 

“Now that she’s here, I think I can start speaking. First, I want to tell both of you something.” he directed his speech to his parents. “Jung Eunji is alive but it’s been kept a secret because the crazy doctor that tortured me had run away and may go after her if she hears that she’s still alive.” he summed the whole situation for them, leaving everyone in the room dumbfounded, especially his parents.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” Mr Jung yelled at him in anger, but Sunggyu ignored him completely, turning to Dr Park.

 

“Dr Park has a few things to say.” he gave her an encouraging nod so she stood and started talking.

 

“The removal of the bullet was successful. But on the next day, Eunji had a mini . We were able to restore the blood flow to the brain shortly but she’s been comatose since then. There are many little clots in her brain vessels that needs to be removed.” She showed them the MRI of Eunji. “The longer we keep it this way, the more they will get and we’ll only put her to danger.”

 

“Didn’t you say that the drug has been effective?” Dongwoo asked worriedly.

 

“I did. But that was only at first. The drug stopped dissolving the clots and their number increased.”

 

“She can undergo a surgery, right?” Woohyun questioned.

 

“It’s too risky at this point.” Sunggyu’s mother was the one to answer.

 

“So what do you suggest? We just sit back and wait?” Mr Jung demanded.

 

“There’s a safe way.” Sunggyu, who was rather calm, said. “Dr park?”

 

“Right. There’s an injection that I had developed over the years that is more powerful that the drug and safer than the surgery.” she then proceeded talking about its components and how it worked.

 

“Are you trying to fool us, Park Bom?” Mrs Lee crossed her hands, glaring at the woman. “Do you know the effects of such composition?”

 

“Yes I do.” she replied hesitantly. “It will affect the temporal lobe and will make her lose her memory.”

 

“WHAT?!” Dongwoo stood abruptly, furious at the revelation, even the rest had a similar reaction to him.

 

“Do you really think that we will let you do it?” Mr Jung demanded.

 

“Why not?” Sunggyu said, surprising everyone. “I mean at such a situation what’s more important? Her life or the memories of her miserable life?”

 

Somehow, his response made them all go silent for a while.
 

“She’s going to ask about those memories and we’re going to tell her everything anyways.” Sungjong muttered.

 

“No we won’t. Eunji doesn’t need to know about her past.” 

 

“What do you mean?” Woohyun raised an eyebrow, sensing that Sunggyu had something in mind.

 

“If we sent her abroad, we won’t have to tell heranythingt.” he explained.

 

“Sunggyu please say something that make sense. Why would we send her away when all of her family lives in here?” Dongwoo snapped at him.

 

“Not all of it.” was Sunggyu’s reply.

 

Everyone frowned in confusion at his words but Woohyun was the first to get the hint.

 

“You want her to go and live with Mrs Lee in the States?”

 

The teenage boy nodded.

 

“Why would you want her to live with me? I mean I don’t have a problem with taking her with me but I’m not related to her? What would I answer if she asks me who I am?” Mrs Lee asked, completely clueless about the whole situation, everyone except for Sunggyu and Woohyun was.

 

“Tell her that you’re her mother.” Sunggyu answered calmly.

 

“Sunggyu did you lose you’re mind or what? Why would she do that?” it was his father that snapped at him.

 

“Because she really is.”

 

Another deafening silence fell on the room, everyone trying to process the situation, because it didn’t make sense.

 

Sunggyu turned to Mrs Lee who was still sporting a confused expression.

 

 

“The baby that you gave birth to eighteen years ago wasn’t me. It was Eunji. Jung Eunji.”  

 


Please don't kill me!! what's a drama without amnesia?

Did you expect that? (Some of you did probably) BUT seriously, did you think that I will actually kill Eunji?

NOw that that I unveiled 'the big secret' what do you think will happen next?

If you only know how haard it was for me to right this chapter. I had writen 3.5k words up to thursday, so I was planing to update on satuerday. but on friday I was installing another OS on my laptop and I made a stupid mistake... I accidentally deleted my old OS. I won't complain about my lost files, videos, songs...etc,  but chapter 28... *sigh* I had to rewrite everything and just finished it now.

I hope you like it at least. Tell me what you think about it in the comment section and see you next chapter ;)

Have a good monday everyone <3