TIC TOC

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

Bora and Krystal skipped in the streets in the speed of light searching for their friend. They were already out when they got a call from a sobbing Eunji asking them to come and fitch her.

They found her in the park still sitting on the bench, hugging her legs, shoulders shaking.

 

"Eunji-ah!"Bora called, putting her hand over the crying girl's shoulder.

 

When Eunji raised her head, Krystal almost gasped at her friend's state. Her eyes were red shots with endless tears flooding out of them.They've never seen her like that.

Bora tried wiping Eunji's red cheeks but was taking out but their coldness.

 

"How long have you been here? You're freezing!" she hugged Eunji, running her hand on her back soothingly, trying to warm her out.

 

"I-"Eunji's voice was barely a whisper, so she paused before speaking again in a more audible tone. "Can you take me home?"

 

The two girls had exchanged a confused look before Bora came with a better idea.

 

"No, not in this state. You're spending the night at my house. This calls for a girls night. Let's go." 

 

Eunji was afraid of showing up at home in that state so she was more than grateful to Bora's suggestion.

 

She stopped crying on their way home, and there, the two girls wrapped her in dozens of blankets and prepared a hot chocolate for her. It did the trick and warmed her up.

It took Bora and Krystal three comedy movies and a fashion terrorist runway to make Eunji smile. They didn't push her to tell them anything, but seeing how things have been between her and Sunggyu lately, they knew it had something to do with him.

 

 

-

 

 

Ailee entered the police station frantically searching for her student. She found him sitting at the side, his head lowered.

 

"KIM SUNGGYU!!" she shouted at him, but as soon as he lifted his face, her heart became a jelly at the sight.

 

Not only did he have many scratches and a swollen cheek, but his eyes were also swollen and shallow, as if they were holding all the sadness in the world.

 

"Are you his guardian?" a police officer approached her.

 

"I'm his homeroom teacher, Amy Lee. What did he do sir?" she asked.

 

"He had beaten up those three boys," he pointed to the corner when three giant boys were sitting. And just from the sight of it, they were more beaten up than him, whining in pain. "In a night club. I don't know how he got in there, but he was drank too." the officer continued with his explanation.

 

Ailee just sighed, eying her student worriedly. Sunggyu wasn't that kind of a troublemaker. She knew he was arrested before because of the same cause, but he never was one to initiate a fight. Something was wrong.

 

After a long discussion with the officer, they came to a settlement and Sunggyu was free to go.

 

"Seeing that you called me instead of your father, I suppose you don't want him to know." she said when they were on her car.

 

"He will tell mom. I don't want to make her worry." he answered, looking out of the window.

 

"I see. I won't tell then. Knowing Dr. Lee, I know she'd go frantic about this." she expected him to at least smile, but he just nodded and kept looking out of the window.

 

"If you don't feel well, don't come to school on Monday. Take a rest and I will tell them that you're sick." Ailee said when they reached his apartment building.

 

"Thank you Miss Lee. Have a good night." he bid her goodbye, keeping his stoic expression.

 

'What's going on with you?' she sighed heavily at the sight of his leaving back.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

"When I told him to settle things between him and Eunji, I surely didn't think he'd break up with her." remarked Myungsoo after Bora and Krystal had finished telling him what happened on Saturday with Eunji.

 

"Me too, I didn't think that they'd reach this stage." Sungyeol added.

 

"Where's that idiot anyways? He didn't come today?" Bora scanned the cafeteria in search for her childhood friend, but he was nowhere insight.

 

"I just can't understand!" Krystal furiously slammed her chopsticks on the table. "I mean they were just fine, and suddenly he started acting weird and distancing himself from everyone."

 

"He probably had his reasons. He's not the kind of guy to do so just because he feels like it." Sungyeol noted.

 

"What about Eunji? Where is she?" Myungsoo asked in worry.

 

"I don't think she'd be coming for a while. I think that's the best for her, she needs time to recover from such a thing." Bora replied.

 

"We'll go check on Sunggyu after school. I hope he's home."

 

 

-

 

 

 

Sunggyu had been locking himself in his room for more than three days. He felt so listless and all he did was to sleep, sleep and sleep. He didn't know if he should be happy that his mind finally went blank and heart felt numb. It was as if he had rocks in his chest rather than organs and a beating heart.

He was sure that the door bell rang few times but he was too lazy to open to anyone and too lazy to eat the food that Hakyeon brought him, it's not that he felt like eating anyways.

 

It was during the fourth day that the eldest had dropped a little package on his desk.

 

"This arrived this morning with the mail. It's for you."

 

The teenage boy just hummed.

 

"You're not going to open it?" no response, so he sighed an opened it in his place. "There's a note with it. It says Mrs. Yoon. Is it someone you know?" the elder asked again, Sunggyu just shook his head.

 

"I'll just leave it here. Make sure to check it out later. It may be important."

 

'Mrs.Yoon?' Sunggyu wandered again after Hakyeon had left.

 

He lazily took the package and opened the note.

'If you're reading this, that means that I already safely left the country. I didn't want to live my life as a coward, but I didn't want to meet my end so soon. This could be better than my testimony. That hard drive has all the information I collected as a butler for ten years. Maybe with that you can destroy that monster. Good luck.'

Sunggyu's eyes widened and he quickly took out the device inside of the box.Without losing any extra second, he put on his shoes and went running the base.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

"We just hit the jackpot." Taeil said as he went through the information inside the drive. "This is the most detailed blueprint of the mansion that I had ever seen. And do you see this red dot? That's the safe."

 

"I lived there my whole life but never did I know it had that amount of secret rooms and exists. As expected, the servants are really Cunning." Woohyun expressed his amazement as well.

 

Butler Yoon's information were extremely detailed that it left them dumbfounded. It was about every single inch of the mansion and every living person in it. Their profiles, personalities, tasks and routines.

 

"Is that a picture of the safe?" Sunggyu squinted his eyes, looking at the blurry picture.

 

"Daebak!" Taeil zoomed in. "Do you know what this mean?" he looked at the duo with shining eyes.

 

"We're one step closer to end this case?" Woohyun guessed.

 

"Consider it as finished. Mrs. Kim. Bye bye." the short hacker smirked.

 

 

-

 

 

A little knock on the office door made Ailee's head snap. A smile found its way to her lips as soon as she saw Dongwoo standing at the doorstep.

 

"You came."

 

"How can I not after that message you just sent me. What's going on?" he asked in worry, taking a seat.

 

"Eunji hasn't been coming to school for more than a week."

 

"What? How come? I see her going out of the apartment everyday with her uniform and backpack!" he frowned.

 

"And you probably don't know about her breakup with Sunggyu, right?"

 

"They broke up? When?" his frown deepened and anger started filling his insides.

 

"Last week. Since then none of them came to school. I asked their friends and they told me that they couldn't get a hold of Sunggyu neither. I thought that it was just a simple thing at first but it's getting very serious. I'm really worried about them." she confessed and told him about Sunggyu's incident at the club.

 

Dongwoo stayed silent, trying to process the situation.

 

"THAT ! I thought he was trust-worthy but I was wrong. He just did what I was afraid he would do." he fisted his hands, knuckles turning white.

 

"Calm down. I'm sure that there's something we don't know about. First try and speak with Eunji. And if possible, convince her to come back to school." she put her hand over his so he just nodded.

 

 

To say that Dongwoo was surprised was an understatement. Eunji has been acting just fine in front him. Or maybe she was a little bit back to what she was like before meeting Sunggyu, but he didn't give it a thought, seeing that he was always busy with his academy and work.

 

So the next day, a few minutes after Eunji exited the apartment, he followed her, wanting to see where did she go all these days instead of going to school. That's when he noticed how lost she looked.

 

She spent more than three hours walking absentminded from a place to another, aimlessly. People bumped in her and she almost got her self in a few accidents, but she didn't seem to care.

At last, she reached a bridge. She spent more than an hour there observing the water flowing under it, while the cold breeze played with her hair.

 

"So this is where you've been coming for days, huh?" Eunji was startled when Dongwoo popped out of nowhere with two hot coffees.

 

"Did you follow me?" she guessed.

 

"Yes I did. Can you now tell me what's wrong?" he demanded.

 

"Nothing."she replied curtly, sipping on her coffee.

 

"I'll ask again and don't you dare lie to me. What's wrong?"

 

"Everything."

 

"Is it about him?"

 

Dongwoo's question brought back the memory from a week ago that Eunji had been trying, fruitlessly and so hard to burry.

The first tear that slid down her cheek was quickly wiped by the back of her hand.

 

"Let's just not talk about it. I'll just consider it as a mistake from the past. It will take time, but I will get over him. Don't worry." she smiled hesitantly. She really wanted to believe her own words but she knew that they were just lies.

Her wounds were too deep and painful.

 

"You know, it's okay to let go. If you want to scream, cry or break things, then do it. It'll make you feel better."

 

Eunji gave him a hesitant look, so he nodded in reassurance. She faced ahead again, and yelled with all her might:

 

"KIM SUNGGYU! YOU BASTARD! I HATE YOU FOR LEAVING ME LIKE THIS AND I HATE YOU MORE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! WHY DID YOU GET IN MY LIFE IF YOU WERE GOING TO LEAVE IT? JUST WHY?!" And with the last sentence said, she broke into another fit of tears and sobs.

 

'I will let everything out now, but I will never shed a tear over you again. Never.'

 

 

 

-

 

 

Sunggyu barely left the base after he received the package from Butler Yoon.

The whole team, minus Eunji, had been extremely busy, studying those information thoroughly to come up with ideas to steal the safe's content. They needed to do it as soon a possible before a new butler comes in and change the whole order that Butler Yoon had been building for the last ten years.

 

"What about I disguise myself as a delivery guy and go in there?" Zico suggested.

 

"That's not the problem. It will be suspicious for you if someone finds you near the west wing." Mr. Jang said.

 

They were having a meeting to make a plan to sneak inside of the mansion without being caught.

 

"Not if he goes there between ten and eleven am. All the maids would be on the east wing or in the kitchen, and the guard watching over That spot would be gone as usual for his morning snack. With a little distraction, Zico would be able to goes in and out with no one noticing him." Woohyun said.

 

"But if he goes in as a delivery guy, he would only be able to reach the main entrance. Going from there to the west wing would be very problematic, since the main hall is always filled with guards and other staff." Jihoon stated.

 

"Can't we do it during night?" Sungjong questioned.

 

"That's impossible. The number of guards doubles during the night and the security system will be activated." Taeil explained.

 

"This is harder that breaking ut of a jail." Sungjong huffed in irritation.

 

"There's another way." all heads turned to Sunggyu. "If someone reaches the waiting room on the second level, he would be able to move to the west wing and reach the safe's room without a single problem. Then, he would take the secret exit to the main storage room and give the documents to Zico and then goes back to the waiting room as if nothing happened."

 

"But to go to that waiting room, you need to be regular visitor, or at least someone the staff are familiar with."Woohyun noted.

 

"Yeah, someone like me."

 

"We won't sent you in there." Sungjong opposed the idea.

 

"It's not like we have a better plan. Think about it. Who would suspect a high school student like me? And if I get caught by a maid I could lie and say I lost my way to the bathroom. They would believe everything I say." Sunggyu argumented.

 

"It's not that simple. Do you realize how dangerous it could be?" Sungjong snapped at him.

 

"Of course I do, but I still want to do it. I want to end this as soon as possible." the teenage boy looked determined and Sungjong knew he couldn't stop him.

 

"We will go through the plan thoroughly and do our best to do this mission perfectly so that no one get caught." Mr. Jung wrapped the meeting after that with few other remarks here and there.

 

 

"You still don't want to tell Eunji about all of this?" Sungjong's question stopped Sunggyu from leaving the room.

Sunggyu had asked everyone to leave their progress and plans a secret from Eunji. It's not the girl asked or showed up at their meetings, but just in case.

 

"It's better that way."

 

"Yeah sure. You going around doing things your way and keeping secrets from her is sure the best way of doing things." the elder sarcastically replied. "I thought you were worth my trust."

Hurt flashed in Sunggyu's eyes, before he walked out of the room.

 

"You know, you shouldn't have said that to him." Woohyun, who witnessed the whole conversation, popped besides him. "He's going through really hard time. I find it amazing how he's still standing strong. He's going through a lot of shoking things at a young age. The least you can do is to trust him."

 

Sungjong scowled at Woohyun. "What do you even know to say so?"

 

"Oh believe me, I know way more things about him than you do." with that, Woohyun exited the room, leaving Sungjong as clueless as ever.

 

 

-

 

 

"I told you that I'm not going." Eunji crossed her arms, watching Bora and Krystal going through her closet and dropping clothes in her small sized suitcase.

 

The two girls showed up at her apartment's door early in the morning, announcing to het that they were going camping.

It was a little field trip the school organized for the seniors and they were insisting that she would be going with them.

 

"No, you're coming with us. The bus will take off in an hour, we still can make it. Come on let's go." Bora zipped the suitcase. "What are you doing? Go and change. Or do you want to show up with your pajamas?"

 

"I'm not going, really. You can't force me." Eunji insisted.

 

"Actually, we can." Krystal commented.

 

Bora just sighed when she saw that Eunji was nowhere near giving in to them. "He's not going, if that what's stopping you. In fact we didn't see him for the last three weeks, so he probably won't be coming."

 

"T-three weeks?" it was weird how in that situation and after all that he said to her, she was worried about him.

 

"Yeah. The bastard went somewhere with his grandma and hasn't contacted us ever since." Bora lied.

 

None heard of Sunggyu for the last three weeks and they were all worried about him. But the previous day he sent a message to Bora and told her to take Eunji with them to the trip, saying he'll explain everything later. So she didn't have any other choice but to follow his words although her worries had just increased.

 

"Come on, we need to hurry if we don't want to be late." she rushed her.

 

Eunji was still hesitant about it, but went with them nevertheless. It was true that she was still nervous about meeting Sunning after their breakup, so she was more than glad when she didn't find him on the bus.

 

Myungsoo and Sungyeol greeted her warmly and she could see that they were concerned about her too. Seeing how her mood lifted after meeting them made her regret not coming to school earlier.

 

"Everyone, take your seats! We're leaving." Miss Lee announced from the front of the bus.

 

"Here Eunji, we reserved a good seat for you." her friends were invading the back seats and hers was the one near the window.

 

The bus started moving and the students cheered loudly in excitement. Eunji smiled and abruptly turned to the window for a millisecond before looking back to her phone. Her eyes widened and her smile faded when she realized who she just saw.

 

'Am I hallucinating now?' she slowly turned back to the window to see him, right there, standing next to a tree and longingly staring at her.

 

The bus was driving away but Eunji never stopped looking at him, until he was out of view.

 

"Are you okay?" Krystal asked when she noticed the change in her expression.

 

"Yeah, don't worry." she smiled before turning to the window again.

 

'Was he really there?' she wondered.

 

Back to the school, Sunggyu was still staring at the dark spot that was seconds ago a bus. He only came because he wanted to see Eunji, he didn't expect that they'd lock gazes. He was missing her like crazy and needed to see her.

 

'It may be the last time.'

 

 

-

 

 

"Here, swallow this." Taeil gave Sunggyu a little pill. "That's the most advanced tracking device I came up with. Not only does it let us know your location, but we can also know your vitals and health condition at the moment, in case you get injured. Bad thing it doesn't work for too long, just five hours."

 

"I will be done before that, don't worry." Sunggyu said confidently and threw the pill in his mouth before taking a sip of water.

 

"And this," the hacker showed him a miniscule black patch. "This will help us communicate. I can hear all that you say and hear, and you will be able to hear me too." he explained, then stuck the little patch on the back of Sunggyu's ear and another smaller one in the inside of his ear.

 

"You're going with your school uniform, right?" Kyung asked as he came in the room.

 

"Put this in your backpack then." he handed him a little stethoscope. "Just use it the way I taught you, okay?"

 

Sunggyu took it and stuffed it in his backpack. "I will."

 

Kyung had taught Sunggyu everything about cracking safes open so that he could open it with no problem.

 

"I think it's time for me to go then." Sunggyu announced.

 

"Yes it is. All the best, Sunggyu." He cheered on him.

 

To say that Sunggyu was nervous was an understatement, and the concerned eyes of his teammates when they looked at him, were adding to his nerves.

 

"You sure still want to do this? There's still a chance for you to walk away now." Sungjong said as he was driving him to the mansion in a taxi car.

 

"I wouldn't have volunteered to do so if I was going to back away in the last minute." Sunggyu replied coldly.

Silence fell back on the car. The atmosphere was so tense because of the seriousness of the situation, not to mansion that they grew apart after what Sungjong said during the meeting. He regretted his words and wanted to apologize, before it was too late.

 

"I'm so sorry for disappointing you, Hyung." It was Sunggyu who spoke first.

 

Sungjong was about to reply but the yougest, once again, had beaten it to it.

 

 "We're finally here." the car stopped and Sunggyu gave Sungjong a few bills, just in case someone was watching them. 

Between the bills, there was a little white envelope.

 

"If I don't come back, give that to Eunji, please. Goodbye Hyung."

 

Sungjong watched as Sungjong walked to the gates with great worry.

 

"Good luck, Sunggyu-ah."

 

Sunggyu succeeded in surpassing the big gates, since the guards recognized him. When he reached the main entrance, he was about to tell the guard about the cause of his visit when Driver Choi walked out of the building.

 

The teenage boy wasn't the least pleased at the sight of the man. 'What is he doing here? He's supposed to be at the company.'

 

"Oh, Sunggyu? What are you doing in here?" Driver Choi asked with the most innocent smile in the world, as if he wasn't a hitman.

 

"I'm here to meet Madam Jo." Sunggyu replied dryly.

 

"Madam Jo? She's not here, but she will be back in an hour I think."

 

'I know about that idiot.'

 

"Really?" Sunggyu pursed his lips in fake disappointment. "I really need to meet her though. I don't have anything to do, I can wait for her, if possible."

 

"Of course not. Maid Lee." he called to one of the passing maids. "Take Mr Kim to the waiting room, and when Madam Jo arrives, notify her about his presence." he ordered her.

 

"Yes, sir."

 

"I need to go now. Let's meet soon, Sunggyu-ssi." Sunggyu almost saw the evil smirk on the man's lips, but he just bowed slightly, cursing the man in his mind.

 

 

As expected, the maid escorted him to the second floor, where the waiting room was and another maid brought him a glass of juice and some sweets. Then, he was left alone.

 

'Good Sunggyu. This is the perfect time to start moving.' Taeil said through the earpiece.

 

The teenage boy had memorized every single room and hallway in the mansion, so it was more than easy for him to move from that room to the west wing. They were only separated by a door and a hallway.

 

'This is it.' he thought as he recognized the long corridor of the west wing. About a dozen of identical doors were there.

 

He opened the third door on the left that lead to the gigantic reading room. All the high walls were covered with book shelves, he just needed to find a certain book.

 

"fifth row on the left, bottom shelve." He proceeded to the spot until his eyes landed on the red thick book.

 

"Found you!" he took it out and opened it. As expected, the inside of the book was carved in the middle in the form of a rectangle, were a key was resting.

 

Sunggyu took it and run out of the room and went to the room at the end of the corridor. It was the suit of Mrs. Kim. Seeing it in photos beforehand made it more easier for Sunggyu to walk directly to his target, the in suit closet. It was as large as his bedroom and filled with all kind of clothing, shoes, bags, accessories... A big mirror was hanged on the wall and Sunggyu didn't hesitate before moving it out of its place.

 

At first sight, Sunggyu only saw a white wall, but then he noticed the little key thresh, so he inserted the key he found earlier and turned. 

The door to the secret room opened, so without losing any extra moment, he stepped inside of it. It didn't fit more than a person and was almost dark if it wasn't for the glowing lock of the safe.

Sunggyu took out the stethoscope and tapedd it on the closet. Sweat tickled over his forehead as he kept turning the lock left and right. The minutes it took him to finally crack open the safe, felt like an eternity, but he never felt that much of victory either.

 

There were three big stacks of folders inside the safe that made hisbackpack heavy as hell.

 

As he was running out of time, Sunggyu closed the safe, the secret door and re-hanged the mirror to its original spot before returning the key to its hideout.

 

"Taeil it's time." he said in a hushed voice.

 

"Okay, Zico will be there in five."

 

Sunggyu moved to the last shelve and searched for another familiar book. As soon as he found it, he pressed on it and suddenly the shelves started moving aside, revealing a dark corridor.

 

'Rich people and their typical library trick.' he cursed as he went inside.The shelves moved back to their original place and he had to use a torch to light up the way.

 

'Just as Butler Yoon describe it.'

 

The narrow hallway was only a couple of meters long and ended with a circular staircase that lead to a storage room on the first floor.

There were murmurs on the other side of the door and Sunning had to wait until he heard the sound of footsteps subside and the storage room's door close.

 

The boy sneaked in the room and hid behind a stack of carton boxes. The door opened again and Zico showed up in a delivery boy uniform,carrying a carton box. He approached Sunggyu's hideout with cautious steps, checking on the door from time to time.

 

"Here are the files." Sunggyu took the folders from his backpack and placed them in the box in Zico's hands.

 

"Good,now go back. You're running out of time." he patted the teenager's shoulder before sprinting out of the room.

 

Zico had disguised himself as a delivery boy working with the transporting company that usually delivered some stuff to the mansion every week. His job consisted of moving boxes from the company's truck to the storage room.

He had been waiting for the cue to distract his 'co-workers' and go in there by himself and receive the folders from Sunggyu.

He was going back to the truck with the box in hands when a security guard stopped him at the main entrance.

 

"Why are you bringing that back?" he raised an eyebrow, gesturing to the box.

 

"I made a mistake, this was supposed to be delivered to another destination. I don't know how it ended in our truck." Zico smiled innocently, but the suited man kept eyeing him in suspicion.

 

"Open the box." he ordered and Zico's face fell but he was fast to react.

 

"I'm afraid I can't. This box belong to another client and we're not allowed to look into it."

 

The guard didn't add any other word and just stepped aside. With a smirk on his face, Zico walked away in triumph.

 

He almost reached the main entrance when he heard the same guard call for someone.

 

"Lee Jian-ssi!"

 

It took him a few other steps before he realized that the same name was on his uniform's name tag. He turned around to find the guard looking at him evilly with a sly smirk.

 

"You don't seem to recognize your own name."

 

', I was caught!'

 

"Taeil, backup." Zico whispered to his partner. "NOW!"

 

And as fast as the light, he run to the truck, pushing one of the delivery man aside. He started driving away while guards started chasing him. Even when the main gate was closed, he sped up the track to smash it, causing a loud thud.

 

When the track was finally on the main road, more than three black cars where chasing him, but fortunately they were far enough for him to stop the truck on the side and hop on the back of the motorcycle that was waiting for him there. He held tight in the jacket of the rider, crashing the box between them.

 

The motorcycle started skipping between streets and narrow alleys until the black cars were nowhere in sight. It then drove in an underground garage, where the rest of the team was waiting for them nervously.

 

Zico hopped off the motorcycle handing the box to Mr. Jung.

 

"I can't believe we did it!" Kyung said in amazement.

 

"What about Sunggyu?" Woohyun, who actually was the motorcycle rider, asked.

 

"He's still in there." Zico answered casually. "He's probably back in the waiting room. As expected, no one would suspect a high schooler." 

 

Just then, Mr. Jung received a call from Taeil, who was still at the base. His face darkened as he heard what the hacker had to say.

 

 

-

 

 

Sunggyu climped back the stairs with his torch lightning the way. But when he reached the last couple of stairs, he noticed that the previously dark hallway, was now lit. His steps heaved as he saw the secret door of the library open.

 

'I'm sure I closed it.' he thought in confusion.

 

He was about to step in the room when a tall figure blocked the entrance. Sunggyu felt all the blood in his veins freeze.

 

"I told you we're going to meet soon."

 

 


 

 

Another cliffhanger ooooh 3:)  What's going to happen next? 

 

I felt like a mafia writing this chapter xD Fun fact: opening a safe with a stethoscope makes it easier B) 

 

You know that I love comments, so don't hesitate to drop one below.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter :D Have a nice day/ good night and see you next week :*****