MEMORIES

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels
It was a relatively sunny day in New York City. It’s been a while since the weather had been that nice since it was still early spring, and Eunji found it quiet enjoyable. 

It was more stressful for her after graduating than before, with the constant thinking of her future plans and all. Not that she didn’t get any offers, she had many in fact, since she was on top of her class and had a lot of her performances updated online, but she didn’t find herself excited about any.
Deep down, Eunji knew that she loved what she was doing, but motivation was the only thing she lacked. She even considered giving up a few times, but something kept her from doing so, an ambition, a goal she wanted to achieve. She was waiting for the right time to break it to her parents though.

And that’s what she was planning to do when she asked her mother to have a lunch with her that day. 

The mood was nice and cheerful, perfect for the big announcement Eunji was about to make. That was until her mother received a phone call, seeing the caller’s ID was enough to make a frown appear on Mrs Lee’s face.


“I really have to take this call. You keep on eating dear.” Mrs Lee excused herself.


Eunji waited until Mrs Lee was out of eye-sight so that she could follow her. Her mother usually talks on the phone in front of her, even if it was work related calls.

Mrs Lee was standing next to the restroom’s entry, her back facing Eunji, but her voice loud enough for anyone to her her.


“HOW CAN YOU HIDE SOMETHING LIKE THAT FROM ME! I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU’RE HIS FATHER AND ALL OF THAT  BUT I’M MORE OF A PARENT TO HIM THAN ANY OF YOU WILL EVER BE SO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW ALL OF THIS!” 


‘Who’s she talking to?!’ 


“What was Dr Choi doing when he had three episodes in such a short period?”


“….”


“What are you planning to do now? Or are you just going to watch him until he really kills himself?”


'Kill himself? Who?'


“Whether you change his consultant or double his sessions, I don’t care, as long as he gets better. And please stop him from visiting that  of a woman! God only knows what she’s been telling him every time he goes there!” With that, Mrs Lee ended the call and Eunji had to go back to their table as quickly as possible.


Mrs Lee didn’t come back right away, giving Eunji to process whatever she had witnessed. One thing for sure is that it was from someone from Seoul. She knew that her mother always contacted people from there seeing the foreign phone numbers on her phone’s log. But she had always thought they were fellow doctors or just friends so she had never over thought about it.


But was it just a fellow doctor this time? Or a case her mother had been following from a far? But it seemed way more serious than that. Every word raised a whole load of questions in her mind and suspicion filled her thoughts. 


‘Who is this person that she consider as her son? And what is he going through?’ 


‘Once again I’m over-thinking! I should stop, really.’ she pushed all the thoughts to the back of her head and replaced her serious expression with a carefree smile when she saw her mother coming back.


“Is everything okay?” she asked although she knew that the answer will be just a lie.


“Don’t worry, just a call from a friend from Seoul.” Mrs Lee’s voice was weaker than before and her eyes a little bit red, a sign that she was crying.




Her behavior for the rest of the day was what made Eunji’s doubts get confirmed. Maybe she had never witnessed a similar scene before, but she was sure her mother had a lot of those calls before, because there where many days where she acted that way. Mrs Lee would try and smile to Eunji, but it was fake. she’d get lost in her thoughts and her eyes will get blurry at some point and her daughter wasn’t once fooled by those acts.





-







“I’m thinking of accepting Uncle Choi’s offer.” 


All movement at the dining table stopped after those words were said. Mr Kim and Mrs Lee had their eyes wide open, a hint of fear showing on their faces. 


“Eunji dear, what are you saying?” Mrs Lee asked in hesitation.


“I want to go back to my hometown. I gave up on my memory. I don’t think it will be coming back any time soon. I want to move on and purchase my dream. But I don’t want to stay in here anymore.” she reasoned.


Her parents exchanged a vexed look as silent fell again. If anything, their reaction made her more confident in her final decision. 


‘I’m taking the right move. If they refuse that means that they’re really hiding something. If not, I won't lose anything.’


Her Aunt’s husband, Mr Choi, had always wanted her to join his entertainment company. 


‘With a talent like yours, you will be a star right away. You don’t even need any training. you’re more than ready to debut.’ he had always said whenever he called. 


But Eunji was always hesitant about it. She didn’t want to start building her future when she didn’t know what her past had held. But recently, she made a conclusion. Maybe the keys to her past where there, not in New York or LA. Maybe if she goes back she’ll regain her memory. So accepting Mr Choi’s offer was just an excuse to convince her parents to let her go.


“Okay. If that’s what you really want. We can’t hold you back.” Mr Kim answered, shocking the other two parties on the table. “I think it’s time for all of us to go back anyways.”



“Can we speak for a moment.” Mrs Lee walked in her office and Mr Kim followed half-heartedly, leaving Eunji in a confused state.


“Are you out of your mind?!” Mrs Lee was whispering but if it wasn’t for the fact that Eunji was in the next room, she would be yelling furiously. “Why did you say that? Do you even know what will happen if she goes back?”


“I know. But how long are we going to keep doing things this way? Don’t you think it’s time to let fate do its thing?” 


Mrs Lee frowned. “What are you even talking about?”


“Listen Misook. Do you really think that if we keep her from going back she won’t do it? If we keep preventing them from meeting, they’ll never do? I mean after what happened when they were babies, who could’ve thought that they’ll meet again and fall in love?” Mrs Lee’s expression started flattening, a look of realization in her eyes. “No matter how much I and many other people told Sunggyu to stay away from her, he never listened and he unveiled the whole truth. Call it destiny or fate or whatever, but this two are meant to meet, no matter how much we block it..”


“But… if they do, she may regain her memory...” the woman’s eyes filled with tears.


Mr Kim put his hands on her shoulders, looking directly in her eyes. “She will be okay. If she regained them four years ago, they could’ve destroyed her. But now, I'd say it’s pretty much safe. She’ll be hurt, yes, but she’s strong, she will overcome it.”


“I still think it’s too early. We can wait a little bit till she gets more stable.”


“Do you think that Sunggyu will wait?” his question made her face fill with another kind of fear and eyes well with fresh tears. “We both know that we can lose him at any second. He had it the hardest since she left. Maybe she would be the one healing him. Maybe this way we could save our children.” he added, looking at the woman reassuringly.


“Do you think that really is the right decision?”


“I’m hoping so. Plus, if we say no to her, we’ll find her going there without our permission. She’s our daughter after all.” he shrugged his shoulders. 


Mrs Lee chuckled while wiping her tears away. “I will call Dongwoo then.”







-





Eunji stepped out of the terminal, pushing her luggage truck in front of her, her eyes scanning the waiting area. It all felt like a dream. Her parents agreed so easily, even though her mother looked sad about it and cried buckets when she was saying her goodbyes at the airport. The flight lasted for long hours but she was finally there. It was the beginning of a new journey. 

Her eyes searched for a headboard or something with her name but she couldn’t find it.


‘I think the man mom said will be waiting for me is late. Great.’ she sighed. 


Just then she heard someone calling her name. Among the ocean of waiting people, a pretty guy with casual but stylish outfit was waving his hands in the air looking at her and calling her name.


‘Who’s that and why is he so excited?’ she thought but walked to him nevertheless, or he run to her actually.


“Hi-” before she could finish her greetings, she was crushed in a hug by the guy.


“You’re finally here!” 


The girl was left dumbfounded. Well, she was being hugged by a complete stranger after all. But somehow, she couldn’t push him away, his hold felt heart-warming.

Realizing what he was doing, the guy retreated back, smiling sheepishly.


“I’m sorry if I startled you. I’m Sungjong by the way, I will be taking care of you until Mrs Lee comes.” he explained. “Let’s go, I will take you to Mr Kim’s house.”


Eunji just followed the guy without further questions, she didn’t feel the need to be suspicious around him, plus she could crack a clue or two from him to start her search with. 


“Did we meet before?” she asked once he started driving away from the airport. She really wanted to ask that question since she first laid her eyes on him. 


“Why? Do I look familiar?” he asked in amusement.


“Yeah, kind of.”


“Familiar as in we met before you lost your memory or after?” 


“I don’t know. Maybe both. I mean I feel like I know you from a long time ago but at the same time I feel like I saw you somewhere just recently. Maybe the news if you are a celebrity.” she replied sincerely. 


Sungjong was fluttered by her reply. He hated the idea of Eunji losing all her memories about their close relationship. At least she had sensed a familiar vibe from him.


“Well we actually met before you lost your memory, when you came to visit a few years ago.” he added the last part flatly, he hated to lie to her face to face. “But not recently. I’m not a celebrity so I don’t think I came on the news, although I hang out and work with a lot of celebrity.” he added.


“May I ask what is your occupation then?” 


“I’m the head secretary of the Jang’s Groups.” he replied hesitantly.


After Woohyun became the CEO of the company, Dongwoo asked Sungjong to be the head secretary of the company, as he didn’t think that his current position was an enough job for the youngest. Sungjong had a lot of potential and he deserved a bigger position, and Woohyun trusted him to no end.


Eunji seemed a little bit in thoughts before her face brightened in realization. “You’re Lee Sungjong?! The Lee Sungjong! You’re part of that famous clique right?!” she gasped with amazement. Her memory didn’t betray her, she really had seen Sungjong in few articles about this famous clique that the Infinite members were part of.



“You know about that clique thing?” he asked with an awkward laugh, things had taken a different turn from what he had expected.


“Of course I do. You guys are all famous so it’s only normal for someone like me to know about it. It just amazes me how can that amount of rich famous people be all friends. it’s not a business relationship or something, right? You really are friends? Like you really trust each other? You’re not using it as a way to gain more fame?” she questioned curiously. It wasn’t out of her nature to be that nosy but she really wanted to know. 


“I was asked that question a lot of times already.” he smiled knowingly. “It may be hard to believe but we really are close. But what many people ignore is the fact that when we first met, not all of us were that rich or famous. I was just an assistant, Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Krystal and Bora were just students. Hoya hyung, Dongwoo hyung, Ailee noona and Woohyun hyung were the rich ones.” he clarified, wanting so badly to add Sunggyu’s name to the list because he was part of the clique too, but decided not to, since even the media didn’t bring his name up.


“People think it’s fake because they don’t know what kind of circumstances brought as together. They just think that we hang together because we’re from the same social class, while it’s much more than that.” he said, his words heavy with hidden truths and untold stories, and Eunji noticed it all. 


“I’m sorry if I surpassed the lines. It just fascinates me and even makes me envious. I want to have friends like that but I just  at making friends.” she shrugged it with a pout.


‘If you only knew that you were the one that brought us all together.’ he thought, eyes focused on the road ahead of him.


“Ah, I remembered something, I brought you a new phone. It’s in the bag on the back seat. I have my number saved in it. If you need anything you can call me. I will be at your service until you get used to the area and can go around by yourself.” 


Eunji extended her arm to the back seat, taking the box from the bag and getting the brand new phone from it.


“Ohh!! You got me the last model! I will make sure to annoy you with my calls!” she winked playfully. “Thanks Jong!” 


Sungjong almost stepped at the brakes while Eunji slapped a hand over , chocked  of how easily the nickname slipped out of .


“I’m so sorry!” she apologized immediately. “I don’t know where did I get that nickname from, it just came out by itself.” she ranted, still confused about her own action.


“It’s okay, I think old habits die hard. You used to call me like that to annoy me. I think your body still has its own memory after all.” 


Sungjong was kind of surprised and couldn’t decide whether what happened was a good or a bad sign, but one thing was for sure:  Eunji was more likely to regain her memory back. 






-







Eunji threw her bag on the low table and slumped on the love seat. She was exhausted from the flight even if she spent it all sleeping. Sungjong left after dropping her at her father’s penthouse.


She dug her hand in her bag, taking out first a photo album. It didn’t have a lot of pictures in it, but they were the only pieces of her past that she could look at without doubting them. There was only a picture or two at each stage of her life, making her conclude that she wasn’t very fond of taking pictures. She didn’t even smile much in them, making her wonder if it was because she was forced to take them or there was something keeping her from smiling. And her expressions became colder as she got older. The two sole pictures she had as a teenager were void from any expression.


Out of the whole album, there was only one picture that she liked. It was a Polaroid png taken on the winter before the accident she guessed. She was wearing her favorite blue scarf, sitting in a café and holding a mug of hot chocolate between her palms. Unlike the other pictures, her smile was dazzling and her cheeks tinted with a hint of pink. 

Eunji had found the picture hidden in her wallet, so she guessed that it was useless to ask her mother about it. Even if she knew, she wouldn’t had told her the truth anyways.


She closed the album than took a little notebook out of her bag. She kept rereading the scribbles she had written on the first few pages:


- The pendant

- Nightmares

- A weird dream

- The leaving guy

- An untitled melody

- The Polaroid

- Five novels

- The trip to Seoul

- The car accident

- Fighting skills

- Suspicious phone calls


The last page contained a long list of phone numbers that she sneaked from her mother’s phone. They were all Korean phone numbers and she wanted so badly to know to whom they belonged. 


‘I have my number saved in it.’


Eunji took out her phone to check Sungjong’s number, and not so surprisingly, the number was high on the list, a sign that he contacted her mother so often.


‘He probably knows more than he’s showing. I need to make him speak.’






-






Sungjong entered the apartment to find his clique plus Hakyeon waiting impatiently for him in the living room.


“So?” they all asked obviously irritated by the long wait.


Sungjong sat on a chair across all of them, feeling as if he was being questioned for a crime.


“I dropped her at Mr Kim’s house.” he said.


“That’s it? You’ve been with her for more than two hours and that’s all you got to say?” Bora demanded.


“She’s different. She seems more social and talkative, happier too if I may add but not too much.”


“What do you mean ‘not too much’?” Dongwoo raised an eyebrow.


“As Mrs Lee said, her memory loss has an obviously negative affect on her. it’s very noticeable.” 


“Did she recognize you?” it was Sungyeol who asked this time.


“Which part of ‘we erased her memory’ did you forget?!” Myungsoo snapped at him.


“Actually she said that I looked familiar.” 


All head turned to Sungjong at his last statement. They surely didn’t expect that. So he told them about the conversation he had with Eunji earlier, shocking them even further.


“Well, I didn’t expect that.” Woohyun said.


“Does that mean that she’s regaining her memory or what?” Krystal’s eyes were shining with hope.


“No, but it’s a sign that she’s more likely to regain it if she stayed here more and met with us.” Myungsoo interpreted.


“I hope that she will only regain her happy memories then. I don’t want to see her suffer more because of her past.” Bora admitted and they all nodded in agreement.


“What about Sunggyu? Did you tell him?” Ailee questioned.


“We decided not to.” Woohyun answered, looking at Dongwoo.


“If we do, he may run away or hide or get worse or something. We surely don’t want that to happen. He’ll know when the right time comes.” the eldest explained. 


“So you’re just going to let him oblivious about this?” Hoya was getting angry.


“We made a deal with Mrs Lee. we’re not going to interfere with what’s going to happen from now on. We’re just going to let things take their natural flow. We may end up ruining things without meaning to if we  in.” Woohyun clarified.


Hoya scoffed at his reply but kept shut nevertheless. 


“It’s one of Sunggyu’s biggest fears, for Eunji to regain only her bad memories or to hate him once she knows what happened back then. That’s why I’m sure he will try everything to avoid meeting her. Thus, the possibility of them meeting if we don’t tell him is larger.” Hakyeon reasoned, convincing Hoya more.


“Dr Choi said this more than once, that Sunggyu will only heal if he gets her back. This is their chance to finally find their happiness and the love they lost once.” Ailee spoke up.


They all knew that they were playing with fire, but none wanted to admit it. Because it will either end with their two friends going back together, healed and happy, or they would end up more broken and probably dead in Sunggyu’s case.






-






Eunji’s first day at Seoul started with Sungjog driving her to her Mr Choi’s company, A Cube entertainment. She still wanted to start her career as a singer as soon as possible.


“There’s something that I wanted to ask you about.”


Sungjong glanced at the girl sitting next to him, nodding with a smile, giving her the go ahead even though he was nervous about what kind of question she was going to surprise him with.


“How do you know my mother? I mean for someone as busy as you to leave his work just to take care of me because she asked you to, it’s kind of weird.” 


“Ahh about that. I’m not just doing it for Mrs Lee. You’re my friend so it’s just normal for me to do this for you. Even if you forgot me and we didn’t meet for years, you’ll always be my dear friend.” he smiled, his answer was void from any lies. 


“Thank you.” Eunji said, his words making her suspicious not because of their lack of genuineness, but because they were full with it. 



“Another question. There’s something I’m really curious about. Since Myungsoo and Sungyeol are part of your clique, does that mean that Infinite’s hidden member is part of it too?” 


‘Uh Oh!’ Sungjong thought, not expecting that question.


“I didn’t know you were a fan of Infinite.” he replied, trying to change the subject. 


“Well I am, so don’t run away and give me an answer.” she whined impatiently.


“I… don’t know who is he, the hidden member of Infinite.” he tried sounding convincing, but it only made her scoff.


“Yeah, I totally believe you. Never mind if you don’t want to reply. I will find out who is he without your help, don’t worry.” she crossed her arms, sulking obviously.


‘Let things take their natural flow.’ Sungjong smirked at the thought. ‘It’s going to be interesting.’





-






Sunggyu walked out of the elevator slowly, reaching the level of the asylum that everyone probably avoided. He showed his pass to the two police officers that were guarding the entry even though they were used to him since it was their second months of working at that spot.
He kept walking till reaching the last door of the long hallway. Unlike any other visitor, he never brought flowers, gifts or even food with him. After all, it was the last place he wanted to be at around the whole globe, just one thing kept him coming back every time.

Sunggyu slid the door open, entering the room with steady and confident steps.

The room was a mess even though he was sure that the cleaning lady was there not long ago. The mattress was almost knocked off the bed, the pillow and duvet somewhere on the ground among hundreds of tossed shreds of paper. 

Sunggyu’s eyes searched for the person he came to visit in the small room, finding her crouched under the desk at the side, hugging her knees to her chest. As soon as she realized his presence, she started trembling in fear.


“W-what brought you here again? didn’t I tell to stop coming here? GO OUT RIGHT NOW!” she yelled, although her voice was shaking and filled with all kind of fears. 


It made him satisfied. 


“I’m here to visit you.” he replied, sitting at the foot of the bed, looking at her with a stoic  expression.


“You mean you’re here to see if I’m dead or not. I bet you’re disappointed that I’m still alive, right?”


“I would’ve been more disappointed if you had died. It’s too early for your suffering to end. I wish that they had just left you in prison, you don’t deserve to be in a clean room like this.” he said coldly, looking around him.


The woman under the desk started laughing hysterically. “You really are my son. The way you talk and the way you think. You’re just like me, evil.” her expression darkened. “I’m glad that you’re alive, since now I’m sure that you will eventually turn out like me. You make me proud as a mother.”


“Shut up.” he growled at her. “You’re not my mother, never was and will never be. I’m not like you neither. I’m just treating you the way you deserve and even better.” 


Somehow, his tone and furious expression made the once strong and fearless woman shudder in fear. He would lie if he said that he didn’t enjoy that feeling. He loved seeing the almighty Kim Misook turn into a scared cat whenever she saw him. 
She was mentally unstable and had to be moved to an asylum just months after being prisoned. If you ask Sunggyu, she had always been mentally unstable, they just realized it too late.


Dongwoo had never visited her, none other than Sunggyu did actually, and they all wanted him to stop doing so too. It was affecting him greatly but he was too stubborn to do so, not when he had finally witnessed her mighty fall.








-





After knocking at the big door, Eunji went inside of the office to be welcomed with two suited men, smiling at her warmly. 


“I can’t believe that you finally are here! Welcome Eunji-ah.” the one behind the desk said. It was her aunt’s husband, Mr Choi Jinho.


“Thank you uncle.” she smiled before turning her attention to the other man. “Hello Mr Lee, it’s nice to finally meet you.” she bowed respectfully.


“It’s nice to meet you too, Kim Eunji. I heard a lot about you and I was eager to meet you as well.” the other man replied.


“So, you finally decided to accept my offer right?” Mr Choi questioned. 


“Yes I did.” she replied confidently, sitting down.


“Then I should start contacting some of my favorite song-writers for you. Tell me if you have one you want to work with.” 


“Actually there is. Good thing I found Mr Lee here.” the man in question looked at her in confusion.


“Me? Why?” 


“I want your secret weapon to help me with my debut. I’ve been wanting to work with him for a while and I will really appreciate it if he accept to guarantee me this wish.” she replied. 


In fact, Eunji knew about the close relationship between Mr Choi and Mr Lee, which made her more confident about coming back. She was sure that Mr Lee wouldn’t deny her any favor, no matter how big it was.


“By secret weapon, do you actually mean…”


“Yes, him. I want to meet him in person too.” 





-







“SHE WANTS WHAT?!!” 


“Yah keep it low!” Sungyeol warned Myungsoo, looking around to see if his friend’s outburst caused any unwanted attention from people around them. Hopefully it didn’t.


“And what is he going to do? He doesn’t expect us to let her have it her way, right?” Myungsoo was whispering this time.


“I told him we will meet with her first and then we will take it slowly before taking it to the next level.” 


“What about the not interfering rule? Don’t tell me you’re going to break it?” he glared at his band mate.


“Well what are rules made for?” Sungyeol smirked.


“What are you guys talking about so seriously?” Sunggyu showed up behind the counter before Myungsoo could scold Sungyeol any further.


“NOTHING!” they both yelled, probably making him more suspicious. 


Sunggyu squinted his eyes at his both friends. “Are you sure you’re not hiding something? You’ve been acting really weird lately.” 


“What are you talking about? We’re always weird.” Sungyeol laughed stupidly and Myungsoo followed.


Fortunately it worked at distracting Sunggyu and even made him smile as a bonus. Something that happened rarely.


“I should go back to work. You guys should go back home and stop drinking. You have a recording tomorrow morning. And don’t forget to pay the bill before you go.” he 
warned them with a glare before going back to the pub’s back kitchen.


The two guys released a sigh. “That was close.” Myungsoo started. “Back to our talk, what did you mean earlier? Do you have something in mind?”


Sungyeol smirked and Myungsoo knew that whatever his friend had in mind was either a great idea or the stupidest thing he had ever heard.






-







It was three years ago, on a gloomy day where she had nothing to do other than stare blankly at the TV, wondering about her lost past when she first saw Infinite performing their debut track on Music Bank, ‘Fixed star’. It was sad and consoling at the same time. 
It made her cry a lot but she couldn’t stop listening to it over and over again. The same happened with most of their songs and eventually, she turned into an avid fan, following each of their steps and dying to meet them and know who the hidden member that captivated her heart with his self-made songs was. 


For her to be finally be at Woollim entertainment’s headquarters, sitting in Infinite’s meeting room, looking at their albums and trophies in every corner, made her feel as if she took a big step forward. 


Eunji went there after receiving a call from the CEO the night before.


‘I thought about your favor a lot but it’s not up to me to decide such a thing, I’m sorry. But I had told Myungsoo and Sungyeol and they wanted to meet you. They can be of a better help than me. Please come to the headquarters tomorrow at ten am. They will be there waiting for you.’ 


Well, she ended up being the one waiting for them it made her get slightly irritated.


“I’m sorry, we made you wait for us.” the two tall guys finally came, apologizing for their delay. In fact, they were just nervous about meeting her after all those years and 
they had to prepare themselves mentally in order not to crush her in a hug as soon as they meet her.


“It’s okay. I didn’t wait for long.” Eunji answered, standing up to introduce herself. “I’m Kim Eunji. It’s really nice to finally meet you.” she said with a big smile. “And uhm… I’m a big fan of yours.” she added, blushing slightly.


Myungsoo and Sunygyeol exchanged a chocked expression. The perfectionist Eunji from high school who never stopped criticizing them and pinpointing their mistakes whenever she had the chance, was a big  fan of them? 


“We’re glad to meet you too. Mr Lee told us a lot about you.” Myungsoo said.


“Please sit, we brought this for you.” Sungyeol put a strawberry smoothie on the table in front of her. 


“Oh. Thank you.” Eunji smiled for them in appreciation. 


‘Weird, why did they bring me a smoothie while they got each an espresso? Did they know that I didn’t like coffee or what?’


“So, let’s get to work. I’ve seen a lot of your performances and I think that you will really make it big in the future. But it’s kind of weird and courageous of you to want your debut track to be produced but our friend while there are many other famous producers that you can work with. Don’t misunderstand me, we really want to work with you, but it’s just… suspicious.” Myungsoo started, putting on his work facade.


“I told you that I’m a big fan, especially ‘your friend’. I don’t know if Mr Lee had told you about my circumstances but for the last few years I’ve been really drifting from 
music. It’s you guys who motivated me to keep going.” she looked at them with eyes full of appreciation and gratefulness, they had a hard time keeping their expressions in check with Sungyeol’s tears threatening to fall at any time.


“That’s why I wanted to meet you, thank you and work with you if possible.” she added.


“I see. But I think it’s him you’re more insisting on working with right?” Myungsoo asked and she nodded.


“I like his style in music, it’s really my type. I know that I’m probably asking for the impossible, but I came from New York for this. I know that many artists had worked with him before so there must be a way for him to say yes this time too, I hope.” 


“Well, it only happened because of continuous hours and days of us two begging and convincing him. I don’t know about this time though.” Sungyeol pursed his lips.


“If you want me to sign a contract I will do so. I know that he probably has his reasons to hide his identity and I totally respect it. I really appreciate it if you could convince him about this.” she said almost desperately.


The two boys exchanged another look before Myungsoo talked again. “We will. I can’t promise you anything but we will try our best.” he smiled, showcasing his dimples. 


“Thank you! Here,” she slid a piece of paper on the table. “This is my phone number, I will be waiting for your call. I will get going then.” 


“You know Eunji, even if you two won’t meet, you still can work together with the intermediation of both of us. We did it plenty of times before.” Myungsoo spoke as she stood up.


“Although I’m kind of confident that he will agree, but I will consider that choice if he ends up saying no.” she replied in determination, before excusing herself and leaving.



Well, she didn’t leave right away because she magically managed to get lost in the hallways of the company.


‘I’m sure I came through this way earlier.’ she thought. ‘Why do they all look the same anyways?!’ 


As she was taking a turn, she saw a man walking through the hallway, turning left. 


‘It’s… him.’ the though was brief and passing, but her legs were fast on following the guy. 


But her steps came to a stop when she was having a full view of the back of the walking guy. He was nothing like the man from her dreams. This one was taller, slimmer, and wearing different clothes of course. But it was the same walk. It probably meant nothing but it was enough to make her heart grow heavy and beat fast. She didn’t like the feeling at all and she wanted to stop him from leaving.


‘I don’t even know this guy and they probably have no connection.’ 


‘But… but I want to see who it really is.’ her inner self had the final say. 


She resumed running but it was late, as the man got on the elevator and the doors closed.
Eunji restlessly kept pressing the buttons of the second elevator. She felt an unsettling urge to follow him. But when she reached the ground floor, where the man descended to, she didn’t find any sign of that back.

At that moment, it was like a déja-vu, with the familiar pain in her chest that wasn’t familiar at all for the new Eunji. It was as if she was left behind, to loneliness and pain. She wanted to call for him, but again, there was no name that came to her mind, just emptiness.






-






“You’re still at the pub?”


“Yes. Jackson had just left and I will be closing now.” Sunggyu replied over the phone.


‘You came to the company today?’


“I had something to discuss with Mr Lee. He told me that you had an important meeting so I didn’t to interfere.” 


‘Ah right! There’s someone who wants to meet with you, for work.’


“Work? Who?” 


‘I will tell you later. Do you remember our bet?’


Sunggyu rolled his eyes. He could almost hear the smirk in Myungsoo’s voice. “What about it?”


‘I think I found something to bet with.’


“You’re talking as if you won. We still have to wait till next week to see the results. Then we will see.”


‘Yeah yeah, keep denying your loss. Anyways, close up and go home already. it’s like three am now.’


“I was about to do that if you didn’t call. Just hang up!”


‘Good night jerk.’ Myungsoo ended the fall with a pissed out tone, making Sunggyu chuckle.


His friends had been so caring for the last few years. They’d visit him everyday and call to check on him every few hours, as if they were his parents. He’d act annoyed and all but deep inside he was too grateful for words to express it.



Sunggyu finished some cleaning with a jazz song playing at the background. Most of the lights were turned off that he didn’t notice the other person in the pub.


“Long time no seen Sunggyu. How have you been?” 


Every movement of his body stopped at the voice coming from behind him, even his blood probably stopped running through his veins. It wasn’t because it startled him, but because he knew who that person was.


 

*Peeks from behind a tree* has it really been a month since my last update? 

Well things were out of control since the last chapter. /Warning: a long rant about the last month/  I caught a cold on the next day and by the time I got better, I had to prepare for three important exams. After I had finished with those, I started writing non-stop. I was planning to update as soon as I finish the fourth chapter. BUT halfway through the third one, i caught ANOTHER cold.... (I have a ty immune system and anemia.) I still feel like but I couldn't keep you guys without any updates.

I don't know when I will update next time because I have another three tests next week T__T 

It was just a long boring chapter, I will try to make the next ones better.

I hope you all have a good day/night and thank you for waiting for me :3 And please stay healthy and don't weak like me <3