TRUE LOVE

Masquerade of the Fallen Angels

December 14th 1998


“I want the blue one.”


“No, we'll take the red one.”


“But red is too girlish.”


“No it's not, plus, it's just an umbrella.”


“Still hyung, I want the blue one.”


“The red is bigger, so we're taking it, and that's final!” Mingyu picked the red umbrella.


“You're so mean hyung, and stubborn too.” puffed a seven-year old Sunggyu.


“I wouldn't speak about stubbornness if I were you.” Mingyu noted, his voice muffled behind the huge blue scarf Sunggyu wrapped him in.


Their mother was on a business trip so they had to stay with their father. The latter took them with him to spend three days in a luxerious hotel because of some business related meetings.
It was their first day and they were dying with boredom, since their father left them since the moment they reached the hotel.

Mingyu suggested a walk on the hotel grounds. But Sunggyu didn't let him leave the room without wrapping him in hundreds of layers of clothes since it was raining. And then, they made a scene about which umbrella to take with them, causing laughter between the other guests in the lobby.

He wouldn't care less about the color, but as he had said, the blue one was smaller and he knew Sunggyu will end up covering him completely and letting himself get drenched with rain. Last time it happened, the youngest had to spend a week in bed. 

 

“Come on, let's go back.” 

 

“We've been out for fifteen minutes only.”

 

“That's enough time to get you sick.” Sunggyu deadpanned.

 

“God! You're worse than mom! I'm your bigger brother if you forgot, and I'm the one who take decisions in here.” Mingyu said firmly.

 

“That's what I get for worrying about you?!” Sunggyu tried to sound hurt, pouting badly.


“Just more five minutes, hmm?”


“FINE!” The youngest gave up when his brother gave him his irresistable eye-smile.


They continued bickering a little longer until they reached a little playground. Mingyu's steps halted when he saw it and Sunggyu understood it right away.

 

“Hyung, I thought we talked about this before.” Sunggyu really hated passing by playgrounds in general especially with Mingyu, because the latter will always look at it hurt. He was glad that it was raining so hard and the kids weren't allowed to play in it.


“No Gyu, look.” he pointed to a slide.


Sunggyu had to squint his eyes a little to make the silhouette of a kid  under it.


“Do you think he's stuck?” he asked his brother.


“Looks like it.” The siblings didn't hesitate a second before walking into the playground.


There, a little girl was crouching under the slide, obviously shielding her self from the pouring rain.


“Hey kid! Are you okay?” Mingyu asked in his tenderest tone, but the girl just backed away a little, as if she was afraid of him, her eyes fixed on his feet.

 

“How long have you been here?” he tried again, this time crouching and getting in the same level as her. Still, no response.

 

“Don't worry, we're not going to hurt you. We can help you go back to the lobby. Look, we have an umbrella. You're staying at the hotel too, right?” 

 

The girl's eyes traveled to the red umbrella and then to Sunggyu, who smiled reassuringly to her, seeing how bad she was shivering. 


“Y-yes.” her answer was barely audible, but she looked more relaxed.


“Come on then, you may get sick if you stay here any longer.” 


When she stood up, he noticed that she was a tad shorter than Sunggyu but probably the same age as him. She was quiet beautiful for her age, and her clothes were really fashionable except that they didn't seem to be warm enough.


“Here. It will keep you warm.” Mingyu took off his scarf and wrapped it around the girl, she looked taken back by his action.


“T-thank you.” her voice was louder than earlier, but it got muffled by the fluffy material of the scarf.


“Let's go.” Sunggyu said when the girl got under the umbrella between him and his brother.


Even though the umbrella was quiet big, it didn't prevent Sunggyu from getting his shoulder soaked, not that he cared, as long as his brother, and the shivering girl were well covered.


“Did you go out to play?” Mingyu asked her, and he got a nod as a reply.


“Does your parents know that you're out?”


“No, I sneaked out.” she mumbled shamefully.


“They're probably worried about you then.”


“No, my father probably didn't notice my absence yet.”


The siblings felt bad when they heard her reply. She didn't seem sad about it, just embarrassed. 


“If my brother knew, he would probably go crazy now.” she chuckled. “He's overprotective and sometimes overreact.”

 

“He must care for you a lot then.” Mingyu smiled, remembering how Sunggyu always overreact at the slightest things.

 

“Yes he does.” she smiled back.

 


“Thank you for helping me.” the girl bowed slightly when they had reached the lobby. 


“Be careful next time. And don't sneak out again, or at least tell your brother.” Mingyu advised her.


“I will. Thank you again.” just as she bowed to them, a group of the hotel employees rushed to her.


“Little Miss!!  were have you been? Are you okay?” the female employee on the lead asked her, looking very worried.

 

“I was on a walk, nothing to worry about, Mrs. Yoon.” the girl answered in a harsh tone. The siblings would've seen the change in her expression if they were a bit closer.


“She seems to be a very important guest.” Sunggyu noted, returning the umbrella to its stand.


“It seems like it. But she seems like a really nice girl.” his brother added with a teasing tone. “She's cute and she has a beautiful smile, like me. If only you was a sister instead.”

 

“Yeah I know. Brothers are annoying and shares all of your stuff with you.” Sunggyu continued for him. “But sisters can't take care of you like I do.” he said proudly.

 

Mingyu always for this, and Sunggyu was mostly annoyed at first, but quickly learned to reply cleverly, because he knew that his brother didn't mean it.

 

 

December 15th 1998

 


“Let's meet there at ten o'clock, okay?” 


“Okay, Woohyun-oppa. It's really boring in here, I miss playing with you.” Eunji whined over her Nokia 9000.


“Me too, I'll se you later, then. I'm hanging up.” 


“Bye, oppa.”


Woohyun seemed in a rush so she didn't want to keep him from whatever he was doing. Their call and their  meeting was all secretly planned between them. Her location was supposed to be secret, her father said something about 'protectin her' and few other words she didn't care about, since he never cared about her either.


It was past seven and Dongwoo was still nowhere to be seen. He would always come at night to check on her but it was long past his usual visiting time.


“Did he forget about me too?” she wondered. She was very young, but the feeling of being abandoned wasn't new to her. People just didn't care about her unless they were paid to do it, except for Dongwoo and Woohyun.

 

 

 

 

“Hyung I can't find it!” Sunggyu yelled from his bedroom.

 

“You sure? I saw it there earlier!” Mingyu replied. He was laid on the couch, playing with his game consoler.

 

“Maybe we left it in the restaurant, or in the pool, or in the lobby.” Sunggyu's head poked from the room's door.

 

“So you suggest we search the hotel for a gamr consoler? No thanks.” Mingyu didn't even spare him a look. 

 

“You know I can't survive without it, especially when we're stuck in here and dad is still busy with his meetings.” the youngest pouted.

 

“You need to get going then. I heard they close the restaurant and the pools at ten.” he looked down to his watch, there was still ten minutes left.


“FINE!! I'll go there by myself! You're so lazy hyung!” Sunggyu puffed before running out of the suit. Mingyu just chuckled.

 

 

 

 

Eunji wrapped the blue fluffy scarf around her neck, ready to go out. It was weirdly warm, like the boy who gave it to her. She reminded herself to search for him and give it back. Only god know how much she would've stayed out there in the cold if it wasn't for the two boys.

She was always warned not to speak to strangers but they didn't seem harmful, the older boy giving off a Dongwoo vibe, that's why she let him help her, in the first place.


Halfway to her meeting spot with Woohyun, Dongwoo called, apologizing for not coming and explaining the reason behind it.


“You're going, right? You know oppa if you don't catch her before she leaves I'll never talk to you again!” she yelled over the phone, passing by the lobby.


“Eunji-ah, Calm down.” Dongwoo's laugh was still as loud even over the phone. “I'm on my way to the airport! I will definitely see her off.” he explained.


“You're not stopping her from leaving?” she gasped.


“No, it's her dream. I can't stop her from going away. But I have one last thing to tell her.”


“And what is it?” she asked cluelessly, walking through one of the hallways.


“An adult thing. Can't tell you!” he laughed again, pissing her off.


“As if I want to know! I'll hang up anyways.” 

 

“Why? Do you have something else to do?” 


Eunji pushed open the pool's door open, it was literally deserted, as she expected, and a little bit dark. She went it nevertheless.


“I'm meeting Woohyun at the hotel.”


“You told Woohyun?!! I thought I warned you about it!” she expected his reaction to be like that and she regretted telling him about it.


“Relax oppa. Nothing bad will happen, you're just overreacting.” she rolled her eyes in annoyance. But Dongwoo kept talking about how dangerous it was if her location was known to others and blah blah blah.

 

When she checked her watch for time, it was already two minutes past ten o'clock. But before she could wonder where Woohyun was, she heard footsteps coming from behind. But it wasn't the boy she was waiting for.


“Professor Kim? What are you doing here?” she questioned, a smile forming on her lips. 


“Our music professor? He's at the hotel?” Dongwoo asked, still not hanging up.


“I came to meet you.” 


His tone was cold, as cold as his expression. He wasn't the same professor who used to smile fondly at her during class, or pat her head whenever she made a mistake. He looked like someone else.

 

“To m-meet me? W-why?” she asked hesitantly, the blood freezing in her veins at the sight of the gun in his hand.


“Your mother asked me too.” 

 

With every confident big step he was taking forward, Eunji was taking a little one backwards.


“EUNJI RUN!! RUN OUT OF THERE IMMEDIATELY! I'M COMING RIGHT NOW! DO YOU HEAR ME?! EUNJI!! EUNJI!!” Dongwoo's screams were very loud over the phone, but they couldn't reach Eunji's brain. She could barely process the situation and her body refused to follow his words.

 

Soon enough, a loud splashing echoed in the place, as she fell in the water.

 

“I think I won't need this.” Professor Kim put the gun back in his pocket.

 

 


Sunggyu went running to the pool, afraid that they'll lock the doors, but he was relieved when he saw a few lights still on and the door half open. What he didn't expect was to find his father exiting by that door.

 

“Dad?”

 

“Sunggyu what are you doing here?”  his father looked shocked and not pleased to see him.

 

“I lost my game consoler earlier, I came to look for it in here.” Sunggyu tiptoed on his feet, stealing glances of the inside.
 

Then, he saw something dark in the water and heard the faint sound of splashing. But his father was fast and closed the door behind him.


“Even if you left it in here, the hotel employees would've picked it up for you, maybe you should ask them.” 

 

His father's words worked like magic on averting his attention and he obediently left to ask the receptionist.

 

 

Kim kapsu sighed in relief. 'That was a close one.'

He walked to the underground parking of the hotel, searching for a certain person.

 

“I did it, but in a more convincing way.” he said to the man standing in a dark corner, handing him back the gun.


“We'll see about that.” the man smirked before putting on a black cap and walking through the door Mr. Kim just came back from.

 

 

 

Mingyu wasn't intending to go after Sunggyu, but he suddenly started feeling restless. And that's why he ended up going to the pool.

There was no one in there at first sight. But seconds later, he caught glimpse of the dark spot in the water.

 

“! Someone is drowning.”

 

Without losing any second, he threw himself in the water and not long after, he succeeded in getting the kid out of the water and laying her on the side of the pool. 

His heart was beating so fast from the excessive activity he just made. It hasn't been long since the doctor warned him from swimming. But that's not what was in his mind at the moment. All he cared about was to save the little girl. He pressed hardly few times on her chest, following a particular rhythm. Sunggyu had drawn before and he saved him using the same method, so he knew what he was doing. 

Gladly, the girl started spitting the water that had entered her system earlier and started breathing again, making him sigh in relief.

Mingyu's body became limb and the sound of his loud heartbeat was ringing so badly in his ears. He laid down next to the girl in hope of regaining back his normal breathing, but the pants only sharpened and his head started to spin.

Just then, he heard the sound of footsteps and saw a black figure entering and standing by his side.


“The devil didn't die yet. Too bad. I think I'll just do it myself then.” 


Mingyu tried his best to focus his vision on the man. He couldn't see the face, but he saw the man flipping one of the tables by the side of the pool and taking off one of its steel legs.

The man started walking back to their direction, the sound of the steel pole sliding on the ground echoing in the room.


“You shouldn't have brought yourself in this kid.” he kicked Mingyu's leg slightly. “But I'll take care of you after her.” he had said before walking to her side and raising the pole over his head with both hands.

 

Just when he did that, Eunji's eyes opened slightly. But before they could focus on the man, Mingyu's face blocked her vision. He had used the little strength he had left to hover over her and protect her from the man's deadly blow.

 

The little girl didn't stay conscious for long. The last thing she had saw was the blood ticking from Mingyu's head, his eyes rolling and closing and his body falling on her. 


“You're just too eager to die, aren't you? Well, someone had to pay for your father's clumsiness anyways. Either you or your precious brother.” the man in black said playfully.


He used his foot again to push the limp body off the little girl and as he raised the pole again, his phone started ringing in his pocket, leaving him no choice but to pick it up.


“What now?... Why abandon?... I'm almost done... What do you mean by the plan changed?... Are you sure these are the chairwoman's words? … FINE! FINE! I'm coming!” the man groaned in annoyance, before kicking the body on the flour one last time before throwing the pole in the water and leaving.

 

 


Sunggyu finally found his game consoler. Some employee found it in the restaurant and brought it to the receptionist. But instead of going back to the suit, he walked back to the pool.

He kept denying what he saw earlier, but being a little curious kid, he wanted to make sure that he wasn't just saying things. He wasn't expecting anything in particular, and definitely not his brother's bleeding body.

The gaming device had slid between his fingers and his legs refused to take any further steps, the smell of blood invading all his senses. Only the sound of a loud bang and the screams echoing through the hotel succeeded in knocking him out of his paralyzed state. 

What had happened after was very hazy in his memory. From the deafening screams that came out of his throat, to paramedics rushing to his brother and taking them to the hospital, to the funeral.

Everything was too unexpected and happened too fast. It was understandable for him to get traumatized and get into a deep depression, since he was too young for such things. But his father wasn't the least understanding, which resulted in a lot of fights between his parents and they ended up getting a divorce.

His mind came back to working normally only a while after they left to the US, where he started accepting the fact that Mingyu died.  

 

 


BACK TO 2008

 

 

“Why didn't you tell me?”

 

There was a lot of hurt in Sunggyu's voice and Eunji couldn't bring herself to look into his eyes.


“Since when do you know about it?” Sunggyu changed the question when no answer came out of her.


“A few months ago. After you confessed to me.” 
 

“That's why you kept rejecting me back then.” he was stating a fact more than asking a question.


“I'll ask again. Why didn't you tell me?” his tone was harsher and more impatient this time.


“I was afraid.” she finally said, still looking to her side.
 

“Of what?” his voice was getting harsher. 


“Of losing you and most importantly of hurting you.”  


“Too bad, because you just did.” 


Eunji's eyes shoot up to meet his, and just then, she knew how much she had screwed up. 


“Sung-”

 

“Let me guess,” he cut her off, “you thought that i'll blame you for Mingyu's death and hate you because of it?” their was a hint of dark sarcasm in his tone. 

 

When she averted her eyes elsewhere, he took it as a confirmation.

 

“You're always like this.” his voice was cracking. “thinking so lightly about my feelings and words. I thought you'll come to understand and trust me as time went by. But here you are again, hiding another secret from me, one that concerns me on top of that, not putting any faith in me. Do you still expect me to trust you back after all of this?” his arms raised and fell back to his sides in complete desperation and helplessness.

 

“Sunggyu...” Eunji's voice was as desperate as his, regret showing all over her face.

 

“Don't! Just don't!” he stopped her sternly. “I don't wanna hear any of your excuses. I'm tired of being understanding when all I get in return is lies.” he started taking a few steps back. “I can't make this work if I'm the only one trying, you know.” those words were hard to voice out for him, and harder for her to hear.

 

“Sunggyu please.” she pleaded him, her voice shaking.

 

“Ah, another question.” he ignored her desperate tone. “Who was- ... who did it?” 

 

Eunji's eyes widened at the question, the mention of the man caused a shiver to run through her body. She started shaking her head histerically. “I- I don't know.” her voice was barely audible. 

Sunggyu used all the willpower in him not to weaken and hold her in his arms to calm her down. His pride and anger prevented him from taking pity in her shaking body.  

 

“From now on, I will try and be the guy you expect me to. See you around.” 

 

The last thing she heard was the voice of the rooftop's door closing.


Regret, hate, regret, anger and regret were all what Eunji had on her mind. She regretted not telling Sunggyu about it earlier. She hated herself for hurting the guy who loved her the most. She regretted not apologizing faster when she had the chance. She was angry with herself for losing the ability to talk on the rooftop and she regretted not holding him from leaving.

His words left her lost. The future never seemed so scary before, a future where Sunggyu won't forgive her.

 


When she came off the roof, her face was almost frozen. Dongwoo, wo just came from his meeting, noticed the tears welled in her eyes but didn't ask any questions, giving her a warm hug with a blanket instead, well it did the magic and she spoke.

 

“He knows.” Dongwoo raised an eyebrow. “Sunggyu, he knows everything now.” 

 

“Was you the one who told him?”  

 

She shook her head.  “He discovered everything by himself.”

 

“Oh,” Dongwoo stayed quiet a little bit. “Then he's probably mad because you didn't tell him beforehand.” 

 

Eunji's red eyes turned to him. “How do you know?” 

 

“Because I trust Sunggyu and I know that he's a reasonable boy. So him blaming you for anything that happened back then is out of question. But he probably felt hurt when he discovered that you knew the truth all along.” 

 

Her welled with tears again. “He thinks that I don't trust him. He hates me, oppa!” her hands clenched harder on the blanket.

 

“That's complete bull. Do you think I'll let you go out with him if I didn't see the look in his eyes whenever he looks at you. He's feelings toward you are sincere.” he smiled warmly. “But he'll need time to forgive you. And you surely need to talk to him too. Okay?”

 

She nodded, “Thank you oppa.” she gave him a quick hug before burying her body back in the blanket.

 

 

 


When Sunggyu said he'd try to be the guy she expected him to be, she didn't understand what he meant until they were at school.

He started speaking with girls more often, even going to the extent of flirting with them. Instead of ignoring Eunji, he'd smirk whenever she meets his gaze. Or whenever they meet for the showcase's preparations, he'd keep pestering her and refusing all of her suggestions. Even the other students caught the change in their relationship and took it as a chance to tease them.
But Eunji has been very patient about it. Some of his actions reminded her of her own behaviour when they first met, so she consider it as a way of paying back. She wouldn't deny how jealous she got whenever she saw him with other girls or how much she hated his smirk, yet, she endured it all. 

 

“When did you become such an ?” it was Myungsoo who asked him that after a week of his drastic change in behaviour. It was morning and they didn't have any classes till the afternoon, so they were sitting in their practice room, discussing the tracks they chose for the performance, and Sunggyu, as usual, was blocking all of Eunji's suggestions.

 

“I've always been an , it's just not all of you saw that in me.” he smirked, his gaze focused on Eunji.

 

“If you keep going like that, we won't have a song ready for the showcase. So you better get your acts together.” Bora was the most pissed off one because of him.

 

“Yeah, she's right. Plus I thought you're past the puberty phase.” Sungyeol noted.

 

“Thanks dude, I would  never know.” Sunggyu glared at him.

 

“I think we need to talk.” Eunji finally spoke up. Everyone in the room held their breath, waiting for his reaction.

 

“Don't want to.” he leaned back in his chair.

 

“I don't care, we need to get this through.” she said firmly.

 

“Why? Did you find any new lie to feed me with? Sorry, I changed my diet.” 

 

“Sunggyu, I'm serious, we really need to talk.” 

 

“You had plenty of time to talk before but you didn't. Not my fault you ran out of chances.” he stood up, dusting his pants. “I'm leaving for now, I suddenly don't feel like working.”


Dealing with the new Sunggyu was completely hard for everyone. Of course he still acted normal, but only in Eunji's absence, which was rare, since they were almost always in the same location. 

 

“He'll come around, don't worry.” Bora rested a comforting hand on Eunji's shoulder. “Dealing with a sulking Sunggyu was never my favorite too, but he only do it when he want to hide his-” she hesitated, “ his feelings. He barely get this annoying though.”

 

Eunji just smiled, not knowing what to do anymore. 

 

'If I only knew what's on that mind on yours.'

 

 

When Sunggyu was getting his textbooks out of his locker, he received a text message from an unknown number.

 

“Sunggyu, I want to speak with you. I'm in front of your school gate, can you come for a sec?”

 

'Who the hell is this?' he wondered, but went out nevertheless.

 

It didn't take him more than a second to recognise the relatively short guy with thick black shades and his denim shirt and blue jeans.

 

“I didn't think you'd be brave enough to com and meet me here, Howon-ssi.” he smirked.

 

“Can you not? I don't like being called by that name.” Their was a hint of trouble on his face, so Sunggyu didn't tease any longer.

 

“You wanted to talk to me?”

 

“Yeah, but not here. Coffee?” 

 

Sunggyu could almost sense the desperation in the other's voice. “Yeah sure.” he didn't hesitate much in hopping in his sports car, not feeling threatened by the man anymore.

 

They ended up in a coffee shop near school, each one sipping on his beverage awkwardly.

 

“How's Eunji?” 

 

“I don't think you brought me all the way here t ask me about her.” Sunggyu deadpanned.  “But he's fine, if that what you wanted to know.” 

 

Hoya's eyes lightened a little bit, a ghost of a smile on his lips.

 

“You didn't tell him?”

 

“If I tell him I won't have anything left to threaten you with. Plus I don't think I should be the one doing it.” he looked directly at Hoya.

 

“I can't.”

 

“Why?” Sunggyu's tone was impatient.

 

“He hates me, and he won't forgive me.”

 

“He hates you true, but he will forgive you. He just needs time.”

 

“It's not as easy as it seems.”

 

“I never said it's going to be easy. But you've hidden away from him for twelve years and that's a lot of time.”

 

“Just six, it wasn't easy to find him.” 

 

“And why didn't you face him right away? What kept you from doing it?”

 

“I was afraid that he'll hate me if I came back too suddenly.” 

 

Hoya's words reminded Sunggyu of Eunji's words. “And keeping him in oblivion is better?!” he might raised his voice a little bit, attracting the attention of the other customers.

 

“Sometimes, you need to hide the truth from the people you love in order to protect  them.” Hoya replied quietly.

 

Sunggyu came to a realisation when he heard Hoya's answer. Maybe he was too blind to see it before or maybe he just was trying to ignore it, or maybe he just wanted to hear it from her directly, but that was probably Eunji's sole reason to hide everything from him.


“What about your revenge?” he questioned.

 

“I still want revenge.” he rasied two hands in surrender when Sunggyu glared at him. “But I think I'll be satisfied with seeing her behind the bars. I was stupid back  then, but now that I sorted my priorities, Myungsoo comes first.” there was sincerity in his voice and expression, it made Sunggyu doubt that it was just an act.

 

“I still can't see why you needed to see me.”

 

“I want to meet Myungsoo.”

 

“No. this is too sudden.”

 

“I know, it doesn't have to be as his brother. Just friends will do for now.”

 

“I'll think about it. I really want to help, but I need to figure the best way to do it. I can't make it worse for him.”

 

“Okay I understand and I appreciate your help.” a friendly smile took over his face.

 

'Maybe he's not a bad guy after all.' Sunggyu thought.

 

When Sunggyu was about to go out of the car, the elder guy stopped him.

 

“Sunggyu,thank you, really, for helping me.” he said awkwardly, not looking directly at him.

 

“I'm doing it for my friend.” Sunggyu replied firmly.

 

“I know. Also, I wanted to apologize for what I did and said at the hotel, I was drunk, but that's no excuse to do what I've done.”

 

Sunggyu just nodded, appreciating the apology he never expected to get.

 

'He really isn't bad after all.'


 

 

Sunggyu reached the classroom before the lunch break ended, his friends were probably coming back by then. His classmates were doing all kind of crazy things as usual, sometimes it made him question their sanity.
They had this bad habit of setting traps and pranking each other every now and then out of fun, and that day, it was Doojoon and his minions' turn to do something evil. And with their super creative minds, they opted to fix a water bucket over the slightly open back-door, as they sat in a corner with a camera waiting for their next victim. 

Sunggyu had never been on the receiving end of this, so he chose to never care about it, as long as it didn't offend anyone. 

 

His mind was too preoccupied with thoughts from his recent talk with Hoya and his fight with Eunji.

 

He was upset, very upset. He knew he was too harsh and childish, but he couldn't regret it because all of his acts were still driven by his anger, not leaving space for his heart and mind to get involved. And he was too stubborn to admit that he missed her, like hell. But Hoya's words triggered something in him, making him realise that he was kind of overreacting by then. 

 

The loud sound of the splashing and the empty bucket interrupted his train of thoughts, so he peeked an eye to see who the victim was this time. Never did he expect to find a fully drenched Eunji standing at the door.

 

She didn't look angry or surprised or anything, she just kept passing her fingers through her went hair, annoyance written through all of her face. But Sunggyu was the furious one. He didn't like what he was seeing. Not only did they dare prank Eunji, but they were even checking her out, since her white shirt became completely transparent, and even her white tank top wasn't doing a great job on hiding what was underneath it.

 

Sunggyu just got furious, and pushing all his conflicts aside, he made his way to where the scene was taking place, kicking a chair or two out of the way, succeeding in catching everyone's attention, even hers.

 

“You just love attention, don't you?” he glared at Doojoon.

 

“Not as much as you I think.” the other replied, smirking. “But I have to admit, a gorgeous one you have in here.” he smirked, his hand reaching to brush Eunji's hair.

 

The thing is, it never reached her, Sunggyu catching it just in time and squeezing it bending it enough he could hear a few cracking sounds, how wished it was the sound of them breaking.

 

“NEVER, touch what is MINE! Do you understand? And that goes for everyone in here!” he looked furiously at everyone in the room, causing them to flinch and turn their gazes away in fear.

 

He took off his jacket and threw it on her shoulders, succeeding in covering her upper half completely.

 

“Come on, let's go.” and he took her hand in his as he always did. 

 

Eunji was still shocked from what happened. She was surprised when she found herself drenched, but it didn't anger her as much as it annoyed her, but to have Sunggyu come in her rescue from the weirdly awkward situation, and for him to call her mine, it was completely shocking.

 

'He still consider me as his.' she squealed in her mind.

 

“Do you have a spare shirt and a towel?” he asked, not sparing her a look.

 

“No, I forgot my practice bag at home.” she mumbled in embarrassment.


By the time they reached the second floor, were the changing rooms were, the bell rang and most of the students went back to their classrooms.

He took out a red shirt from his bag and gave it to her. 

 

“Here, wear this. I'll bring a towel.”

 

Eunji took the shirt with a low thanks and went straight to one of the cabinets. 

When he came back, he had a hard time keeping a straight face with the sight of Eunji in front of the mirror, fixing the collar of the long sleeved shirt. It was larger on her, but the way she tucked it in her uniform skirt, made it look like it was made just for her.

 

She still didn't notice his presence, and he would've loved to stay staring for hours, but the moment she started sneezing he knew he had to step in. He threw the towel over her head and started ruffling her hair tenderly, trying his best not to giggle at the mess he was making out of her hair.

When he finally removed the towel a few minutes after, he unconsciously started brushing her hair with his fingers, trying his best to make it look presentable again, but then realized their close proximity and her flushing cheeks, and once again, he was mesmerized by it. 

 

“Can we talk now?” she was the one to speak first.

 

“About what?” 

 

The tenderness in his voice encouraged her to go on. “I wanted to give you something.” 

She rushed to the corner, where her backpack was resting and took out a middle sized gift box. 

 

He wanted to comment how they weren't in a relationship stable enough for gifts, but decided not to and hesitantly took it. He took the lid off, and as soon as he recognizes the content of the box, he covered his mouth with the back of his hand.

 

“I always wanted to give this back.” 

 

Sunggyu took the scarf out with trembling hands, not bothering about the box that fell to the ground. It was the same as he remembered it, still as blue, fluffy and warm if possible, as before.

 

“I thought that you died, back then, because of me.” Sunggyu was sobbing so hard. “I didn't rescue you and I thought that even Mingyu was late to save you. I thought that you were dead.” he rested his head on her shoulder, soaking the material with his tears.

 

“I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for not telling you.” she kept caressing the hair on the back of his head with a hand while the other tapped comfortingly on his back. “I was so selfish, I'm sorry.”

 

“Stop apologizing, and stop crying, will you? I'm just glad that I found you, I'm not angry anymore.” his voice got steadier and his sniffles subsided.

 

He encircled her waist with his arms, inhaling her sent mixed with his. 

 

“I'm sorry I was too harsh on you.” 

 

They stayed like that for a few minutes, half an hour or even an hour.

 

“Do you realise that we just skipped class?” she questioned amused, blushing slightly from the hug to meet his gaze. 

 

They were both smiling stupidly despite the redness in their eyes. 

 

“Who cares? As long as you'll be grounded with me.” he winked evilly. 

 

“Tell me again why am I dating someone as evil as you?” she punched his shoulder.

 

“Easy, because you love me.” 

 

“Hmm, I think that might be it.” 

 

Sunggyu's eyes doubled in size. “W-what did you say?”

 

“I love you, Kim Sunggyu.” although she was blushing too hard, she said it so clearly for him to hear, never breaking the eyes contact. When the shock didn't leave his expression, she sealed a kiss on his lips, as a confirmation for her words.

 

“And I'm madly in love with you.” he finally responded, his grin getting wider. 

 

With his arms securely around her waist, he lifted her a little, spinning both their bodies around, their giggles echoing in the empty room and hallway.

 

 

They were two broken souls that found comfort in each other. Their love was the cure to their past wounds. But deep inside, they knew that it was only the beginning of their story and that their time might be limited. 
The unasked question was will they be able to deal with the wounds caused by their love?

 


 

Finally!! So now you now what exactly happened, but who's the man who killed Mingyu? can you guess it right? and althought the little fight, GyuJi's relationship is growing deeper, but for how long? I don't know either :3

I really wanted to update earlier but I was struck with another cold and had to spend almost two days doing nothing but sleep >.<

I never mentioned this before, but Kim Mingyu was a name I chose because it ryhmed with Sunggyu's name, but it turned out that he's a member of seventeen (and he's really cute <3 <3)

Tell me what you think about this chapter in the comment section, or in a private message, I don't mind :)

See you on the next update, au revoir :**