sixteen

astronomical
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaebum spat out the word almost as if it was venom.

Youngjae was surprised.

Jaebum's mother only smiled, glancing at her side as she was joined by another man. Strikingly similar features to Jaebum's, it was only logical that it was his father.

"Jaebum, welcome home son." The words sounded almost forced. Youngjae cringed.

"Father." The tone was exactly the same.

"Before we get to the unavoidable, I see you finally managed to get yourself someone huh." Mrs Im comments, glancing down at Jaebum and Youngjae's entwined hands.

"So you're Youngjae?"

Youngjae nodded, swallowing out of nervousness. He didn't know that Jaebum's parents could be so intimidating.

"Cute." She murmured.

Jaebum butted in, "He's my boyfriend."

Mrs Im smiled bitterly. "I figured. It was about time you two made it official anyway."

Youngjae's cheeks flushed.

Mr Im cleared his throat. "So Jaebum, you know why we're here don't you?" He asked, sighing. Jaebum nodded, hesitantly, but surely.

"We confirmed it." Mrs Im said, with a monotonous voice.

"I can tell." Jaebum muttered.

"We're leaving a week before summer break ends. Make sure you've prepared everything by then. We're going out now by the way, you two can stay here if you'd like."

And with that, Mrs Im, and Mr Im, stepped out of the doorway, carkeys jingling in the man's hand as they walked to the car parked outside their house. 

Youngjae stood there, confused, shocked, scared.

His grip on Jaebum's hand faltered for a second when his mother had spoken those last few words.

Jaebum glanced down at Youngjae with a sorrowful heart, tightening his hold on his boyfriend's hand while pulling him along inside of his house.

Eventually they made it up to Jaebum's room and the two of them simply sat on the edge of the charcoal coloured sheets in complete silence.

Jaebum hated the tension, so he attempted to speak.

"Youngj—"

"What was that about hyung?" The younger boy's voice sounding strained.

Jaebum bit his lip, turning himself to face Youngjae, pulling the smaller boy into a heartfelt hug. His grip tight, breathing uneven and eyes on the brink of watering.

"God I love you so much Youngjae." He breathed out, leaving Youngjae in a confused state.

"..What's happening hyung?" Voice almost sounding like it was about to break.

"I'm moving."

Youngjae was expecting the words, he even guessed that it would be it, but hearing those words spoken by the person he trusted most. So empty, so , so straightforward and so true, made him finally break.

Jaebum felt him trembling and he heard the strifled sobs coming from Youngjae, making his heart break. He held him tightly, right up to his chest, kissing his forehead lovingly and rubbing his back. "Hey Youngjae-ah, don't get upset over it please.. You know I had to go anyway.." He muttered softly.

And it was true of course. In this small town, there weren't actually any proper universities for them to attend, making most people move out or inherit family businesses if they're lucky enough. Some people move for studies and come back with a degree, but others end up not coming back. Even Youngjae himself, if he was planning on pursuing a career in, would have to go next year.

Once his cries died down, he looked up at Jaebum with puffy eyes.

"I-I know hyung, b-but I thought that maybe, just maybe you were planning to stay another year for me, so we could go together.." He mumbled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter