KakaoTalk and Super Mario

You Make My Life Colorful

Namjoon didn't like a lot of things, and being interrogated by parents was definitely on that list. Even if the parents were Jin's umma and appa. Namjoon and Jin had made plans to go to the mall, but he was immediately stopped by Jin's mother.

"Oh, Namjoon-ah!" Jin's mother smiled as she opened the door. 

"Hello, Mrs. Kim. Is Jin-hyung here?"

Jin ran towards the door upon hearing his name, "Hey, Namjoon. Should we get going?"

Jin's mother intercepted, "Are you two in a rush? Namjoon, why don't you stay for a little?"

"Sure, why not?" Namjoon smiled pleasantly, much to Jin's dismay. 

As much as Jin loved his mother, he absolutely hated it whenever she tried to talk to Namjoon. She always managed to say at least one thing that Namjoon would about later. And Namjoon, being the -up he was, always cheerfully agreed to converse with her under any circumstances. However, this time around, it was a bit more intimidating since Jin's umma called Jin's appa to join their conversation. 

Jin's appa was the complete opposite of Jin's umma. While Jin's mother was gentle, caring, and had great hospitality, Jin's father was as cold and hard as stone. Namjoon wondered how the two had ended up together, considering they were polar opposites. He gulped as Jin's father beckoned him to sit at their dining table. 

"So, you're Namjoon, huh?" Jin's father grunted at Namjoon, who was sitting across from him.

"Yes, sir," Namjoon answered, concealing his jitters.

"What's your deal with Seokjin?"

"Well, he's my best friend, and that's pretty much it."

"Are you sure?" Jin's father asked suspiciously, leaning forward into the table.

"Yes?" Namjoon stated, although sounded more like a question. He was growing uncomfortable under Mr. Kim's steady gaze. Namjoon stuttered, "W-Why do you ask?"

"Seokjin talks about you a lot. I just want to make sure you're not a threat."

Jin facepalmed and ran towards the table, "Okay! That's enough! Namjoon, let's just go." 

Namjoon immediately stood up and bowed to Jin's father. "It was nice meeting you, sir." 

Namjoon and Jin quickly filed out of the door, waving to the married couple on their way out. They hopped into the car and started driving.

"Your dad is really scary," Namjoon muttered. "How did your parents end up together?"

Jin simply laughed, "He's usually not like that, he's a tsundere. Maybe that's why umma loves him. Maybe he was just scared of you."

Namjoon's jaw dropped and he asked cluelessly, "Him?! Scared?! Of me?!"

Jin chuckled, "I'm not sure whether you know or not, but you're really intimidating when people first see you."

Jin smiled to himself as he reminisced about the first time he saw Namjoon walk through the classroom doors on the first day of music class. How Namjoon's hair fell over his eyes and how his gaze could probably set fire to anything.

Namjoon furrowed his brows with concern, "Am I really?"

"Very." 

Namjoon looked at Jin with disbelief. Jin just laughed and said, "It's okay, it suits you. Makes you look good."

Jin's face flushed when he realized what he said and mentally cursed himself for letting that slip out of his mouth. He focused his eyes on the road, not speaking another word for the rest of the ride. Namjoon stared blankly at his embarrassed friend, speechless. Jin bit his lip nervously as he felt Namjoon's gaze. All Namjoon could think was, Thank god Suga-hyung isn't here.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

They arrived at the mall after what seemed like an eternity. The ride was so awkward, it was painful; the heavy traffic wasn't helping either. Thankfully, Namjoon took interest in something the second they stepped into the mall.

"Hyung, there's KakaoTalk merch! Let's go look at it!" Namjoon exclaimed, pointing to the nearest store.

Jin chuckled as he watched Namjoon run to the store excitedly. He absentmindly stared at Namjoon as they browsed the aisles as Namjoon stared at the Ryan plushies. Jin smiled as he observed how Namjoon scanned over every item on the shelf carefully. Namjoon soon found a cute plush that came with a mini blue hoodie for the doll.

Namjoon grabbed a doll and turned to Jin, "Do you want anything?"

Jin shook his head, "There's a sale at the Super Mario store, I should spend money there."

"Suit yourself."

Namjoon walked to the counter and paid for his plush. The cashier looked up at her eyes glinted as she saw Namjoon. She flirtatiously smiled and asked, "I haven't seen you here before, do you come here often?"

Namjoon smiled back politely, oblivious of the girl's intentions. "No, this is my first time. I'll probably come here a lot more now, though," Namjoon said, and although he was talking about the amazing selection merchandise, he was unaware of the connotation. The girl's face lit up with happiness and Jin watched with a look of disapproval.

Jin quickly stepped in, "Um, we'll just be getting this, we don't need any extra baggage."

The girl scoffed, "I wasn't talking to you." She looked back at Namjoon with a sultry smirk, "I was talking to this fine gentleman."

Jin snapped his fingers in front of her face, making her look back at him, "Okay, well now your talking to me and not him. My best friend wants to buy a stuffed bear, not get laid. Now hurry up and do your job so we can leave."

Namjoon looked at Jin in shock. Jin was angrily glaring at the cashier, who was flustered and quickly ringing up the bear. She quickly handed Jin the stuffed bear, who then handed it to Namjoon.

Namjoon nervously stuttered, "T-Thanks, hyung."

Jin smiled and held onto Namjoon's arm gently, much to the girl's dismay, and said, "No problem."

After they left the store, Namjoon asked, "Why did you yell at the lady in the store?"

Jin looked up at Namjoon, "Why wouldn't I? She was flirting with you."

"What? She was not flirting with me, she was just being nice!"

Jin's mouth opened with disbelief, "Oh my god, you are so blind. Did you see how she looked at you?" He then imitated her with an annoying high-pitched voice, "And she was all like, 'Oh, do you come here often?'" Then, he imitated Namjoon with an exaggerated deep voice, "And then you said, 'No, but I'll probably come back a lot more now.' Do you know how bad that sounds?"

Namjoon chuckled, "Okay, maybe she was flirting with me. But I don't see why you care so much."

Jin's cheeks darkened slightly and he looked at the ground. Namjoon looked down at Jin, amused. Namjoon asked, "Well?"

Jin shrugged and murmured, "I don't know."

They continued walking aimlessly through the mall, Jin's grip loosening after every passing minute. His gaze was unsteady and lingered between Namjoon and the floor. Jin took this time to think about the question deeply. Why do I care? It's not like he would return her feelings. But even if he did, it shouldn't bother me. Maybe appa was right. Jin furrowed his eyebrows as he was lost in thought, his feet subconsiously moving with Namjoon's. His train of thought was soon interrupted when Namjoon waved his hand in front of Jin's face.

Jin looked up at Namjoon, who was seemingly worried. "Hyung, are you okay?"

Jin's face flushed and he stammered, "Y-Yes, I'm okay."

"Well, we're here," Namjoon said, gesturing to the sign above them.

"Hm?" Jin looked up and saw the ever familiar and beloved sign for the Super Mario store. Usually, he would bolt to the entrance but, at the moment, he was feeling uneasy.

Namjoon walked a few steps towards the door, looking down at Jin. Jin stared blankly at the entrance, much to Namjoon's confusion. "Aren't you going to go in?" Namjoon asked, pointing at the store.

Jin shrugged, "I don't really feel like it. I kinda just want to go home. Is that okay?"

Namjoon's lips parted in surprise, but he quickly calmed down. "Sure, if you really want to." Why doesn't he want to go in? Super Mario is his favorite and he wanted to go before.

Jin smiled weakly, "Thanks."

They silently walked back to the car side-by-side. More awkward silence hung in the car as Jin focused on the road and on his confused thoughts. Namjoon's eyes nervously moved between his phone and Jin's concentrated gaze. He shifted around uncomfortably in his seat feeling guilty, but he wasn't sure why.

He broke the silence, "Was it something I said?"

Jin's eyes widened in shock at the sudden question, "What are you talking about?"

"You've been acting kinda weird ever since we left the mall."

"Oh, well, sorry. I'm just..." Jin searched for an excuse and pathetically came up with, "tired. That's all." Jin mentally slapped himself for lying so horribly.

The lie was so unbelievable, Namjoon could practically smell it. He brushed it off anyway, "Oh, okay."

They soon arrived at Namjoon's house, and Jin waved goodbye to Namjoon and drove away. Namjoon's phone rang suddenly and he quickly answered. The person on the other end was stuttering in a rush and spoke so urgently to the point where the words were undecipherable.

"Wait, slow down. Wait...WHAT?!"

 


 

Ughhhh, I know, I . A lot of you guys were mad at the whole HoTaeKook situation, so yeah...whoops ^__^; Also...happy belated birthday to Jungkook, my bias! Also, happy EARLY birthday (since I probably won't update on time) to Rap Monster and...to me! *cough* Yeah, no big deal *cough* it's just my birthday on September 10th *cough* Haha, oh god what is my life.

Also, this is kinda REALLY important! I was wondering if you guys wanted a bonus chapter after I finish this fanfic (won't be anytime soon, so don't worry) where I talk about my overall experience writing this and all of the behind-the-scenes secrets! 

Also, the next chapter will take place in the same time and day as this chapter! 

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! See you next update!

Love you!

Kilotons