By the Way, I'm Kim Namjoon

You Make My Life Colorful

The school was buzzing excitedly as the results of the students' new elective classes came in. As fate would have it, the group of boys ended up in the same music class. The five boys filed into the classroom and sat in the middle of the large auditorium. The class was surprisingly crowded and there were only a few empty seats left, one being next to Jin. While waiting for their teacher to come, Jin noticed a handsome stranger walk through the door. He was tall, built, with hair that was closer to white than black on the grayscale. I wonder what color he chose to dye his hair, his girlfriend must be really lucky, Jin thought. Jin was surprised that the Mystery Classmate (as Jin liked to call him) came to class alone; most of the students came with friends. He soon saw that the Mystery Classmate was coming his way, and he urgently turned his head towards his friends.

"Jin hyung, are you okay? You seem nervous about something," Jimin said, concerned. 

"I'm alright," Jin squeaked hesitantly, looking for an excuse, "there's just so many people here!"

"Okay~" Taehyung sing-songed.

Jin looked over at the Mystery Classmate, who was setting his supplies out on his desk. The Mystery Classmate looked up and smiled at Jin, who gladly returned it.

Soon, the class's attention was turned towards the front, as the teacher introduced himself. "Hello class, I'm your teacher, Mr. Kwon. There are quite a lot of you in this class, so I'll skip over self-introductions because of the time constraint. I hope you are all excited for this upcoming year!" The class cheered. "I'm sure many of you are talented in the musical field in some way, so let's start this year with a challenge. For your first assignment in this class, you will partner up with groups of two." The classmates all looked each other with knowing looks, pre-choosing their partners. "You and your partner have a choice of either making a cover of a duet song of your choice, please keep it appropriate, or composing your own songs and presenting them to the class. There are a few rules! If you and your partner choose the first option, you must present in a way that is unique, do not simply sing the lyrics to the class. We have plenty of time to do that later. If you choose the second option, you will be given extra credit! This class doesn't offer much extra credit, so I suggest you take the chances when they are provided. This assignment is due in two months. I will give you two minutes to form your duos! Go, go, go!"

Jin's pupils dilated as he started to panic. We have to sing to the class? What if no one likes my voice, and I BECOME A DEPRESSED BALL OF EMOTION AGAIN?! Jin quickly snapped back into reality when he felt a tap on his shoulder, and he quickly looked in that direction. He was more than shocked to see that the owner of the finger was the Mystery Classmate.

"Uh, I don't really know anyone in this class, so I was wondering if you could be my partner?" The Mystery Classmate asked, his eyes pleading with desperation.

"I was actually going to be partners with..." Jin whipped his head backward, hoping he could find another partner, but soon realized that the rest of his friends paired up with each other, Taehyung with J-Hope, and Suga with Jimin. "Um, sure I'll be your partner," Jin exhaled in defeat. He watched in amusement as the other's eyes lit up with glee.

"Really? Wow, thanks! By the way, I'm Kim Namjoon."

"I'm Kim Seokjin. Do you wanna sit with us during lunch, to...y'know...talk about the project?"

"Sure, that would be cool."

Jin and Namjoon spent the rest of class getting to know each other, rather than talking about the project.


~.~.~.~.~

 

Jin brought Namjoon the lunch table and introduced him to the four boys.

"Hi guys, I hope you don't mind that I brought Namjoon here with me."

The entourage looked up and stared at Namjoon with blank faces. J-Hope was the first to speak up, "So...is this your partner for the music project?"

"Yes, yes he is. He was the kind stranger who offered to be my partner since some idiots ditched me and left me to hopelessly look for a partner despite being the oldest in this group!" Jin shouted sarcastically. The group snickered, all except for J-Hope, who burst out laughing and clapping his hands together at high speed. Namjoon watched in amusement, anticipating what would happen next. 

"Well, you kinda are the fifth wheel of our group," Suga explained. "Taehyung and J-Hope are together by default, and Jimin's my best friend so tha-"

"WOAH. Since when was Jimin YOUR best friend? I've known him way longer an-" Jin looked over at the two, and saw that Suga was wearing a smug smirk on his face. 

"But who did Jimin pick to be his partner?" Suga asked, knowing he had won before the argument had started.

Jin glared daggers into Suga, who proceeded to laugh since he knew Jin's inner diva was coming out, and that his anger would be only temporary. "Fine, you can have Jimin. I already have Namjoon," Jin scoffed sassily and clutched onto Namjoon's arm, who was tearing up from holding in all his laughter. 

They took a seat at the end of the table and started to discuss the music project. 

"So which option do you want to pick? I'm okay with either, so it's up to you," Jin chirped cheerfully.

"Can I ask you a question first?" Jin looked at him a puzzled expression. "Are you that kid that was the news article a few years back? I just thought you two looked similar."

Jin hesitated, for he knew that answering this question could completely change Namjoon's view of him. However, he saw no trace of resentment from the younger's face. "Y-yeah, that was me."

"What is it like? I've always wondered what it would be like."

"You don't have a girlfriend? I thought you would be able to see in color by now," Jin asked cautiously.

"Oh n-no, I don't...swing that way," Namjoon's cheeks darkened in what Jin could only assume was a blush.

"Oh, well, me neither. Honestly, I don't think anyone in our group does," Jin chuckled. "Anyway, I can't see in color anymore. It kinda, just, went away as I grew up."

"Oh," Namjoon looked down. "Well, I was thinking, maybe we could write a song about it. I doubt that very many people in our class have ever seen in color."

"Sure, I'd like that."

"Do you remember anything about it? What was your favorite...color?" Namjoon hesitated while talking about something that was so foreign to him.

"My favorite color was pink," Jin smiled cheerfully.

"What did it look like?"

"It's like a lighter, sweeter shade of red. Kinda the same color, but pink is mo-," Jin looked to see Namjoon, biting his lip, trying to comprehend what Jin was saying. So Jin tried again. "It's like the cherry blossoms during spring, or cotton candy at carnivals, or - OOH! - it's like..." Jin turned his head again to see Namjoon even more confused, struggling to keep note of Jin's words. Then, Jin tried to think of ways to describe his favorite color. Then, the sense of realization hit him. How do you describe color? Namjoon waited patiently with his notepad in hand. "I don't know if this would help, but...pink feels like butterflies in your stomach, bubbles in your brain, or the heat that goes up to your cheeks when you're nervous. Pink feels like sweet, innocent love. Um, does that...make any sense?"

Namjoon looked up at Jin and smiled. "I think we can work with that."

 


 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'll try (keyword: try) to write 2 more chapters today that are about yoonmin and vhope, so look out for it! Also, Jungkook is going to come in a little later. And just to let you guys know, I named the music teacher after G-Dragon, kekeke.

I also just want to add that I wrote half of this chapter yesterday, but I made the dumb decision of not saving while writing. The internet then proceeded to be an and stop working. This chapter could've been out yesterday, so I'm sorry about that :(

I faced the same crisis as Jin, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DESCRIBE COLOR?!!! Anyway...I hope that you guys are satisfied with the description of color. It's so damn hard to describe things without using colors! I spent 30 min. looking up what color I wanted Rap Monsters's hair to be, only to realize, that doesn't matter at all D: what have I gotten myself into

I also just wanted to say thank you to those who are reading and/or subscribed to my fanfic! I got 10 subscribers after 1 day of writing!!! THAT'S SO AWESOME!!! Anyway, I should continue writing, kekeke.

Love you!

Kilotons