Tell Me More About Color

You Make My Life Colorful

Namjoon was constantly occupying Jin's mind and it was driving him insane. Normally, the thoughts were merely recollections of times they spent together. But occasionally the thoughts would wander elsewhere. Thoughts of what it would be like to hold Namjoon's hand, or how it would feel if Namjoon kissed his cheek, or how Namjoon would react if Jin asked him out, or how Jin would react if Namjoon ever asked him out. Although that would never happen.  They came and went in short flashes, but still shocked Jin nonetheless.

During class, his eyes would wander as much as his thoughts and suddenly land on Namjoon. His eyes would land on Namjoon and stay there for as long as the entire lecture. And Namjoon suddenly became his Number One priority. Jin's essay was due the next day and he was barely done? Well, Namjoon's was barely done either and he needed help. Jungkook needed moral support and wanted to hang out? Well, Namjoon wanted to hang out, too. Sure, he didn't need moral support, but he needed company from someone. Jin's umma needed help cooking dinner? Well, Namjoon also needed a ride home because he got lost on his way home from playing Pokemon Go.

Jin was so gone for Namjoon and he didn't even realize it.

After about a week of the nonsense that was Jin's logic, he started to question his thoughts and question why he always made himself so readily available for Namjoon. And another one of those not-so-platonic ideas popped in his head and disintegrated just as quickly as it came. Maybe I like him.

Jin contorted his face in discomfort. That's impossible. He's my best friend and that's it.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

When he reached the campus, Jin was immediately greeted by the others.

"Look! Umma's here!" Jungkook laughed.

Jin scoffed and playfully rolled his eyes. Suddenly, his eyes fell upon Namjoon, who was looking rather sharp that day. Or did he always look like that? As the others kept themselves occupied by the conversation, Jin absentmindedly stared at Namjoon and admired how his eyes sparkled as he talked and how he laughed so much until he covered his face, not to mention the adorable dimples that appeared on his cheeks whenever that happened.

That was soon interrupted when, Suga suddenly gasped, "Omo omo omo."

The others (Jin included) suddenly turned to him and gave him strange looks. Suga brought his finger up and pointed at Jin, "Hyung was staring at Namjoon!"

J-Hope, Jimin, and Jungkook's face lit up like Christmas trees and the three started squealing and clapping their hands together all while jumping up and down excitedly. Namjoon rolled his eyes and chuckled and Jin was blushing wildly. Suga smirked at the scene folding out perfectly in front of him.

Jin looked up towards the sky, thankful that no one noticed the flush on his cheeks and tha-

"Look! Jin-hyung is blushing!" Jimin shrieked.

Darn it. 

Jin looked at Jimin and Suga, whose fingers were linked together. Jin sighed and looked toward Namjoon for help. Namjoon nodded in understanding and shushed everyone.

"Guys, you're making Jin-hyung uncomfortable."

Suga and Jimin scoffed. Suga defended himself, "Like you're not the one that was shipping me and Jiminie 24/7."

Jimin nodded, "Yeah! We're just having a little fun."

Namjoon rubbed the nape of his neck sheepishly, "Fine, fine." He looked at Jin, "Sorry, hyung. I can't argue with them this time."

Jungkook facepalmed, "Oh gosh, you two should just get married already. Seriously. You're literally the umma and appa of our group."

J-Hope clutched Jungkook and Jimin's shoulders suddenly, "We should make a ship name!"

Namjoon and Jin exchanged glances and rolled their eyes simultaneously. J-Hope pointed between them excitedly, "They even roll their eyes at the same time!"

The four boys formed a small circle, excluding Namjoon and Jin, as they formulated names as quick as possible. 

"Seokjoon?" Jungkook suggested.

J-Hope shook his head, "Something with a little more..." He filled up his cheeks and released the air making a small 'puff' sound, "Umph."

"Joonjin?" Jimin asked, then quickly shook his head. "That sounds really bad."

Suga nodded in agreement, then pointed his finger upward with an idea, "Namjin!"

J-Hope's eyes widened and he smiled widely. He tested the name on his tongue, "Namjin. Namjin! It sounds good!"

Namjoon quickly broke up the group, "Okay, okay that's enough." He pointed his finger accusingly at Suga and Jimin, "We did not make a ship name for you two, this is unjust!"

Jin stayed in his place as he watched Namjoon argue against the four. He could feel his cheeks heating up. He wanted to dig himself a little hole and stay there forever. Deep down, he knew that even if he didn't want to accept it, even if he wasn't ready to accept it, that he was screwed. So screwed.

He looked around helplessly for a distraction when he noticed, "Hey, where's Taehyung?"

The group turned around and looked at Jin, then looked around. But Taehyung was nowhere near them.

J-Hope pulled out his phone, "I didn't get any texts from him today yet. Do you think he's coming to school today?"

"Call him, hyung," Jimin suggested.

J-Hope dialed Taehyung's number and waited. There wasn't an answer. The six furrowed their brows in concern.

"You guys call him," J-Hope said.

Jimin went first, then Suga, then Namjoon, then Jin. But each call gave the same result.

Hello. The recipient of this call is not currently available. Leave a message at the beep.

"Jungkook, you try," J-Hope urged.

Hesitantly, Jungkook dialed. No answer.

The group brushed it off; maybe Taehyung was just sick. Suga, Jimin, Jimin, and J-Hope knew that Taehyung was always prone to small sicknesses in the previous years. He would probably be there the next day. So they sent a text.

From: J-Hope
R u coming to school today?

They waited for several moments. Taehyung was always one to answer right away, regardless of what time it was. Growing more and more worried, the group sent another text.

From: Jungkook
R u ok hyung?

"Maybe he's just busy," Namjoon muttered.

Suga shook his head, "What would he possibly be doing right now? School starts in 10 minutes."

"Maybe he overslept," Jungkook said, unsure.

From: Namjoon
Taehyung??

From: Suga
school is starting in a few min. see u tmw

From: Jimin
Unless ur already here

From: Jin
If you're not here, we hope you'll get better soon!

After a few minutes, the boys went to their respective classrooms and forgot all about Taehyung, sure that everything was normal.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

Taehyung was awoken that morning with the usually slamming against his chest. But he didn't feel like getting up. He looked up to see his brother with the pillow in his hands.

"Get up. School starts in 20 minutes and you're not even up. Let's go," Baekhyun said, hitting Taehyung a few times more.

Taehyung blinked his eyes open, "I don't feel like going to school today."

Baekhyun sighed loudly and rolled his eyes, "Come on. This mess you got yourself in isn't going to clean itself if you don't do anything about it."

Taehyung shook his head, "I don't want to talk to them."

Baekhyun yanked the blankets off of Taehyung. Unlike all the other times, Taehyung didn't curl up into a ball and grasp for the blankets. He just laid still, not even flinching at the sudden cold. Baekhyun sighed and pulled the covers over Taehyung again.

"Fine, stay home. Just make sure you get all your school lessons and homework from your friends."

Taehyung nodded. He closed his eyes for a few moments to get more sleep and an escape from the horrific reality. But his phone started vibrating repeatedly. Calls from the group flew in, one-by-one. He buried his head under his pillow and ignored each call, hoping to avoid human contact for as long as possible. After a few minutes, the obnoxious noise finally stopped. He lifted his head when his phone vibrated six more times.

 From: J-Hope-hyung <3
R u coming to school today?

From: Kookie
R u ok hyung?

From: Namjoon-hyung
Taehyung??

From: Suga
school is starting in a few min. see u tmw

From: Jimin
Unless ur already here

From: Jin
If you're not here, we hope you'll get better soon!

Taehyung chuckled to himself. They probably think I'm sick. I guess they're correct to a certain extent. 

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

At lunch, Namjoon and Jin were the first ones at the table. Suga, Jimin, J-Hope, and Jungkook had classes across the building, so they wouldn't arrive for a few more minutes.

"Hyung, do you want to go to the park after school today?" Namjoon asked.

Jin furrowed his brows, confused, "There's not going to be a Farmer's Market today, are you sure you want to go?"

Namjoon shrugged, "We don't have to. But I wanna spend time with you without the others nagging at us every single second."

Jin laughed softly, "Yeah, I know what you mean. But this is what happens when you nag Yoongi and Jimin constantly. I guess it came and bit you in the , hm?"

Namjoon smiled widely, the dimple appearing again, "Yeah, I guess."

Cautiously, Jin murmured, "I think it's kind of cute, though."

Namjoon was taken aback, "W-What?"

Dang it, I shouldn't have said that. Jin's eyes widened in panic, "N-No, I didn't mean you're cute! I-"

Namjoon's lips parted in surprise and slight offense.

Jin grimaced, "I'm not saying you're ugly, I mean you're pretty good looking, it's just tha-"

Jin immediately realized what slipped out of his mouth and covered his face in embarrassment, his cheeks burning furiously. Jin heard Namjoon chuckling uncomfortably and slowly lifted his head from his hands. 

"Sorry, I just...I meant that it's cute that you and the guys argue. Th-That's all."

"Oh, okay," Namjoon nodded in understanding. "So, are we still going to the park after school?"

"Sure," Jin nodded. "You should wait in the parking lot. I'll get the car and drive us there."

"OoOoh, where are you two lovebirds going?" Suga's voice was suddenly heard.

Namjoon sighed and covered his face with one hand. J-Hope echoed Suga, "Yeah, where are you two going?"

"A mysterious rendezvous?" Jimin asked, wiggling his brows.

"Umma and appa are so romantic!" Jungkook giggled.

Namjoon rolled his eyes and gestured to the four gushing boys, "See what I mean? They're crazy!"

Jin laughed at the scene in front of him. They were crazy. For some reason, Jin felt nice whenever he was being paired with Namjoon. Even if Namjoon argued against it, Jin never tried to stop it and just watched and blushed. Those thoughts started hitting Jin again. Maybe he wants to confess to me at the park. Maybe we'll really become the umma and appa of the group. Elaborate scenes played out in Jin's mind of different ways Namjoon would ask him out.

When he realized what he was doing, he quickly shook his head, ridding himself of such thoughts. He reached out to tap Namjoon's shoulder. 

Stop. 

Jin pulled back his hand when he heard the whisper from his conscience. If I touch him, won't I see in color? Jin's eyes widened at the sudden realization. God, it's been so long. Do I even remember what it looks like? What if it's not as vibrant as I remember? What if I hate it? I've been used to this for years, I'm not ready for that yet. 

From that day forward, Jin vowed to himself to never touch Namjoon. 

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

"You ready?" 

Namjoon smiled through the car window and climbed into the passenger seat. "Yep," he chirped, popping the 'p'.

As Namjoon shifted around in the car seat, his phone pinged:

From: Suga-hyung
have fun at ur little date ;)

Namjoon sighed loudly and turned his head toward Jin, "Is it wrong to want to murder someone?"

Jin laughed and reached his hand out to ruffle Namjoon's hair, but quickly retracted his arm back toward himself when he remembered the boundary that he had set for himself earlier. Namjoon fiddled his fingers across the keyboard:

From: Namjoon
Shouldn't u be w/ Jimin rn?

From: Suga-hyung
he's reading these over my shoulder lol

From: Namjoon
Jimin, tell ur boyfriend to stop harrassing me ;-;

From: Suga-hyung
only I tell him what to do -.-

From: Namjoon
...

From: Suga-hyung
I gtg, tell hyung I said hi

Namjoon sighed again, softer this time, "Suga-hyung says 'Hi.'"

Jin smiled softly to himself. As intelligent as Namjoon was, he was still a little child trapped in a teenager body. The boy could probably make thousands off of his knowledge, but spend it all on video games and junk food.

Jin murmured under his breath, "Aigoo, you're so interesting, Namjoon-ah."

"What?" Namjoon asked, hearing a sound but unable to interpret the words.

"Nothing~," Jin chirped. He pulled into a nearby parking spot, "We're here now!"

The two exited the car and looked for a spot to sit at. They settled on a small hill, sitting under a tree. Childhood chants sang themselves in Jin's mind.

Jin and Namjoon, sitting in a tree... 

Jin shook the thought away and tried to focus on spending time with his friend that was a friend and nothing more. His train of thought was interrupted when Namjoon said, "Hyung, can I ask you something?"

Jin's eyes widened and his breath stuttered, "Huh? Oh, yeah, sure."

Jin inhaled deeply and exhaled through his lips. What is he going to say? Is he going to confess? Or maybe he's going to thank me for being such a great friend? Or maybe he'll just talk about the oth-

"How did you learn the colors?"

"What?" Jin asked, returning from his cloud of thoughts.

"How did you learn colors?"

"Oh, um," Jin chuckled to himself, "it's a long story. Why do you ask?"

Namjoon looked down at the grass with concentration, "I was thinking the other day and I realized that there's not really any other way to describe colors besides their names. I mean, you can but it's really hard, hm? Like, when we first talked about it, you had a really hard time describing it. To you, and I guess it's the same for most people, red was red and pink was pink. But how did you learn the names?"

"Well, when I was little, my umma used to take me to the library or bookstore a lot. Of course, I already saw in color but I didn't know the names. So no one really knew about it until my parents starting talking about it to me. I thought it was normal and that everyone saw in color. But one day, I saw this book on the floor and it was about colors. It had all the names for the basic colors, so I just spent time reading it. It only had red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple in it, so I didn't have a hard time memorizing it. Then, my umma tried to tell me about colors and how the whole thing works, but I told her that I knew the colors. So from then on, she tried to teach me as much about color as she could. It was just a head start I guess."

Namjoon nodded throughout the story, paying attention to every word that left Jin's mouth with obvious interest and curiosity. At the end of it, Namjoon looked as if he gained the most important knowledge of all time, "Wow, that's so cool!" He asked hesitantly, "Can you teach me the colors?"

Jin shook his head, "Right now, you can't see in color. It's impossible to tell colors apart if you're constantly looking through a grayscale. It's not as simple as it seems; each color has different shades and you can mix different colors together to make a new color. But if you're constantly seeing black, gray, and white, the shades would correspond with each other and look exactly the same. I could try, but I doubt we would get anywhere."

Namjoon pouted slightly, which nearly drove Jin insane, and nodded in understanding, "I guess that makes sense."

Jin chuckled softly, "Don't worry about it. Learning colors now would be like spoiling the most anticipated movie ever. It wouldn't be as cool to see color for the first time if you already know what they would look like." Jin looked down at the grass, "That's the one part that kinda . I'll never get the joy of seeing in color for the first time since I was born with it." He turned his head to look at Namjoon and smiled, "But you will. I'm sure you'll find someone fairly soon that'll show you what it's like to see in color." 

Namjoon asked hesitantly, "Do you miss it?"

Jin nodded, "Of course. I miss it so much. I used to go to sleep every night hoping that it would come back the next morning. But after 3 months, I got used to it and knew it wasn't going to come back until I found someone to love."

"Then why didn't you get a boyfriend earlier?"

Jin chuckled at Namjoon's comment, "You can't force feeling, Namjoon. I tried, but then I realized that I wouldn't be able to see in color again unless the feelings were genuine. And they never were, so I gave up on that." Jin saw the guilty expression on Namjoon's face and reassured, "But it's okay. It'll come back when the time is right. Hopefully soon, but I'm willing to wait."

Namjoon cleared his throat nervously, "I don't want to pry, but, how did you lose it?"

Jin was caught up in his awful memories from middle school. Namjoon noticed and grimaced at himself, "I'm sorry for asking, I shouldn't have. I know it probably something really bad. I'm probably being such a nuisance right now."

"No, no, it's okay," Jin falsely smiled. Of course he was going to answer every question Namjoon had. He would probably give Namjoon the whole universe if he wanted it. He started, "It's just that in middle school, a lot of people thought I was really weird because I was the only one that could see in color that early. So I was bullied. A lot. All of my classmates called me names, I was shunned during lunch, and I didn't have that many friends. I was lucky, though. It never got physical, even if the color was pretty much beaten out of my eyes."

Namjoon gave Jin the most sympathetic look that he was capable of making. He was left speechless and could only manage to mutter, "Damn."

"I know, right?" Jin chuckled. "It's all okay now, though. I have you and the guys. Everything is back to normal, except for the fact that can't see in color anymore. But things could be worse."

Namjoon shrugged, "What do you think it's like for Suga-hyung and Jimin?"

Jin smiled at the thought, "It's probably the best thing ever. Not only can they see in color, but they get to experience it with someone that they love. I only ever got to experience with myself. I can't even imagine what that's like to see in color with someone that means the world to you."

Namjoon laughed, "You make it sound like they're Romeo and Juliet without all the dying."

"They probably feel like that with each other, though," Jin smiled. He pulled out his phone, "Let's ask them."

Namjoon almost gasped in surprise when he saw Jin's phone, "Hyung, you have a flip-phone?! That's like an ancient relic!"

Jin lifted his hand to smack Namjoon's shoulder but put his hand back down. He rolled his eyes but smiled brightly.

From: Namjoon
Jin-hyung says that u 2 r like Romeo and Juliet
Is that true?

From: Suga
why

From: Jimin
YES

Jin and Namjoon laughed at the contrast between the two reactions. 

From: Suga
jiminie, namjoon doesnt need to kno that

From: Jimin
Sorry, hyung >.<
But they know that I <3 u, right?

From: Namjoon
Omg, u 2 r so cheesy

From: Jin
It's so cute, I feel like I'm going to suffocate XD

Jin cooed, "They sound so happy together."

Namjoon nodded in agreement, "But I still don't understand how they ended up together. Jimin's so happy and smiley, but Suga-hyung is, well, Suga-hyung."

Jin furrowed his brows and sputtered a laugh, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Jimin has so much energy and he's always so happy. But Suga is like, the complete opposite," Namjoon stated. He teased, "It's almost like your parents."

Jin rolled his eyes with a wide smile, "I guess so? That's a weird comparison, but I guess that works."

Before they knew it, 2 more hours passed. Namjoon looked at his phone, "Crap, I have to get home soon. Should we get going?"

Jin nodded, "Yeah. My parents are going to be wondering why I'm gone so long after school for so long."

They walked to the car and drove to Namjoon's house. Jin was a bit sad when he had to wave Namjoon goodbye and watched him enter the building, making sure he got home safely.

When he got home, he was immediately greeted by his grumpy father and concerned mother.

"What took you so long to get home from school? We were so worried," Jin's umma whimpered, hugging her son.

"Sorry, I forgot to tell you. Namjoon and I went to the park after school."

Jin's father grunted, "I don't like that Namjoon kid."

Jin tilted his head to the right, "What?"

Jin's appa stepped toward Jin, "Whenever you hang out with him, you always come home late. Are you two dating or something?"

Jin's eyes widened, "N-No."

Jin's father's eyebrows furrowed, "You hesitated. Tell me the truth."

Jin's mother scoffed, "You're being too hard on him. If he says they're just friends, they're just friends. Even if they weren't, you don't have to worry. Namjoon is a perfectly fine boy. He's very polite and treats Seokjinnie well."

Jin's appa's eyes softened when he heard his wife, "Fine. But don't expect me to start liking him or anything."

 


 

Yay, Namjin!!! This chapter might seem a bit rushed and that's because I'm working on something pretty big at the moment; I'll tell you guys more about it when the time comes. This chapter was also supposed to cover a plot hole that one of my friends so kindly pointed out to me (that was sarcasm). GODDAMN YOU ANDREW. IDK IF YOU'LL SEE THIS, BUT ARE YOU HAPPY NOW. I HAD TO FRICKIN COME UP WITH AN EXPLANATION OF HOW JIN LEARNED THE COLORS BC OF THIS GUY. 

Also, happy belated birthday to Jimin!!! Thanks for always being so happy and supportive, Jiminie! His laughs are frickin contagious and are made of unicorn tears and glitter, I stg.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! See you next update!

Love,

Kilotons

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, but, WE HIT 100 SUBSCRIBERS!!!! Thank you so much for subscribing, commenting, or even just reading/viewing. Your feedback means so much to me and it makes my day reading your comments and seeing new subscribers come. Have you ever had that text conversation that you read over and over again bc it makes you so happy? That's exactly what reading comments is like. I love you guys so much and I'm so grateful that you guys enjoy reading my fanfic so much. I honestly don't understand what makes this fanfic so good/interesting, so it blows my mind that 100 people have subscribed. I promise to continue working hard and I'll try to come up with new content that's cooler and more interesting in the future! Thanks so much!