The New Student

You Make My Life Colorful

The day after, the group sat with each other in their music class. The class was buzzing with energy (as usual) but was soon brought to silence when Mr. Kwon stepped to the front of the room with an unfamiliar and timid looking student. 

"Settle down, I have an important announcement to make. We have a new student, who unfortunately couldn't be here with us yesterday. Would you like to introduce yourself?"

The class waited patiently, making the room uncomfortably quiet. "Hello, everyone. My name is Jeon Jungkook, I moved here from Busan a few months ago. Sorry, I couldn't attend class yesterday," Jungkook bowed apologetically to the class. 

"Now that Jungkook-ssi has joined our class, I need a group to volunteer to add Jungkook to their group. You will get more extra credit if you allow him into the group, but it may be difficult letting another person into your group, so choose wisely."

J-Hope and Taehyung looked at each other instantly. Since they were the only group in their entourage that chose not to compose their own song, they figured adding Jungkook would help their grades. They both raised their hands immediately. 

"Okay, Jungkook-ssi. You will work with those two up there, please walk quickly," Mr. Kwon ushered, gesturing towards Taehyung and J-Hope.

Jungkook sat next to Taehyung, who smiled brightly at the shy boy.

"Do you want to sit with us at lunch?" Taehyung asked happily.

"Um, okay," Jungkook mumbled, trying to answer with as little words as possible.

It was made apparent to the other boys that Jungkook was slightly socially awkward and that they would need to break his shell. They also noticed that Jungkook was noticeably younger than the rest of the group. 

"How old are you?" Suga interrogated.

"I'm a freshman, but I was bumped up a year," Jungkook answered quietly. Trying to engage in conversation, he asked, "How old are you guys?"

"Jimin-hyung and I are sophomores, J-Hope, Namjoon, and Suga-hyungs are juniors, and Jin-hyung is a senior. How did you get in this class? Everyone in here is at least a sophomore," Taehyung said.

"I don't really know. I just got put in here, I guess," Jungkook said softly, almost whispering. He was overwhelmed with how much the group talked. He decided to stop talking for the rest of class and focus on Mr. Kwon's lesson.

 


~.~.~.~.~

 

At lunch, the group all talked about their other classes together.

"Ugh! Ms. Kim is such a bi-" Jimin was cut off my Jin in the middle of his rant about his math teacher (who also happened to be his least favorite teacher).

"YAH! Don't curse in front of Jungkook-ssi!" Jin scolded.

"Jungkook is okay," Jungkook murmured.

"Hm? Did you say something?" Jin asked.

"I said that Jungkook is good enough," Jungkook said, speaking louder.

"Oh, okay then Jungkook. That makes us your hyungs, Jungkookie!" Jin cheered.

"As I was saying," Jimin said, stressing his words. "Ms. Kim is so awful to the class! Seriously! You guys would agree if you were in the same class as me."

"She's not that bad, Jimin. Don't forget that I'm in your class, too!" Namjoon defended.

"But you're one of the smartest in class! She doesn't even bother to choose you to answer questions because she knows that you'll get them right anyway!"

Namjoon, smirked since he knew Jimin was right. He was the smartest in their group, and he had no intention of hiding it, "So, Jungkook. Who's your favorite artist?"

"Huh? Oh, I like Big Bang, but mostly G-Dragon."

"This kid has good judgment," J-Hope grinned. "Right, jagiya?

Taehyung nodded, blushing at J-Hope's comment. J-Hope noticed and wrapped his arm around Taehyung's waist, drawing him closer.

"Oh my god. These guys are so corny, I seriously can't," Jimin said sassily, rolling his eyes.

"Aish, just let them do their thing. They can't get too handsy, they're still at school," Jin smirked, the rest of the group laughing, and Jungkook even smiled widely.

"Jungkook, do you wanna come with me and Taehyung after school?" J-Hope asked.

"It's Taehyung and me, J-Hope. Please use correct grammar," Namjoon stated intelligently.

"Shut up, smartass. And it's hyung to you," J-Hope retorted, sticking his tongue out.

"Sure, I'll meet you guys in the parking lot?" Jungkook asked.

"Sounds good," J-Hope chirped.


~.~.~.~.~

 

"Jin-hyung, do you want to go somewhere after school?" Namjoon asked.

"Um, why?" Jin asked cautiously. He didn't want to offend Namjoon, but he usually didn't like talking with people outside of school.

"I dunno, just to hang out I guess," Namjoon shrugged. "It's okay if you don't want to, I can just hang out with one of the other guys." 

Jin bit his lip and looked around. "It's okay, we can hang out after school," Jin said, feeling obligated. "Where do you want to go?"

"We can go to the park. It's usually not too crowded after school," Namjoon suggested.

Jin frowned. Now not only did he have to socialize after school, but he also had to go outside. He nodded his head reluctantly, "Okay, sounds good."

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

In science class, the lesson droned on and on for what seemed like hours. After an eternity, Jimin and Suga were finally let out of the class that could easily be mistaken for Hell. 

"Hyung, I'm going to die. That was so boring," Jimin whined.

Suga yawned in response. He was notorious for being sleepy all the time, so Jimin couldn't imagine how his hyung felt compared to him. "I second that, Jimin."

"Do you want to hang out at my place tonight? I got this new movie that seems pretty cool," Jimin asked innocently.

Suga smirked, "OoOoh! Are you lowkey asking me out, Jimin?" Suga obnoxiously imitated Jimin's comments from the previous night.

"Shut up, hyung," Jimin scoffed.

"Haha, sure I'll come over, Jiminie," Suga smiled as he ruffled Jimin's hair. "Aish, you're so short. You need to drink milk."

"YAH! Hyung, you're only 1cm taller than me!" Jimin pouted.

Suga chuckled at Jimin, and they parted ways into their next classes.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

While the group members spent time with each other, J-Hope and Taehyung were trying to bond with Jungkook. However, judging by how quiet Jungkook was, they weren't getting very far. The couple was struggling to come up with new questions to ask Jungkook, but after every question, Jungkook shot it down with a short answer and didn't attempt to carry on the conversation. He was startled by being suddenly bombarded with thousands of questions flowing from Taehyung and J-Hopes' mouths. Jungkook also couldn't help but feel like the third-wheel (despite being the center of attention) because of J-Hope and Taehyungs' relationship. The following is only a small portion of the failing conversation:

"White or black?" 

"Black."

"Favorite genre of music?"

"Hip-hop."

"You got your eye on anyone?"

"Today was my first day, hyung..."

"Favorite subject?"

"Music."

"Because you're with us, Jungkookie?"

"...Sure."

"You hesitated."

"No...I don't think I did."

Taehyung turned to J-Hope and whispered, "This isn't going to work. We've asked him hundreds of questions, and it's only been, like, 5 minutes."

"Well, what are we going to do?" J-Hope asked.

"Should we just leave him alone? We still have after school to get to know him."

Jungkook noticed Taehyung and J-Hopes' whispering and started to grow nervous. "Uh, is everything okay, guys?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, everything's alright, Jungkook," J-Hope answered quickly.

Jungkook knew that something was up, so for the first time during the interrogation, he attempted to start up a conversation, "So, how long have you two been together?"

J-Hope and Taehyung looked up in surprise. They stayed this way, staring at Jungkook until they realized that he was waiting for an answer. "Oh, uh, we've been with each other since last year. Our anniversary was 3 months ago. Obviously, hyung and I liked each other for much longer, but we weren't really...official," Taehyung answered.

"Have you been with anyone, Jungkook?" J-Hope asked, relieved that the boy was finally talking.

Jungkook shook his head, "I've had a few crushes here and there, but I've never asked anyone out before."

Taehyung shot him a boxy smile, "Figures. You're so quiet, Jungkookie." Taehyung giggled, ruffling the younger's hair.

J-Hope death-glared at Taehyung but masked his resentment with a smile. He never liked it when Taehyung touched other people, even if he never meant anything by it. But he let it slide this time, only because they were both desperate to get the boy to start talking. Jungkook noticed J-Hope's disapproving glare, and his head back while biting his bottom lip.

"Everything okay, Jungkook?" Taehyung said as he noticed Jungkook's nervous expression.

"You should ask J-Hope hyung," Jungkook teased.

Taehyung looked over to see his boyfriend with a foul look on his face and laughed. He wrapped his arms around J-Hope's waist loosely and playfully. "Sorry hyung! I promise that you're the only one in my heart!" Taehyung said in a high-pitched voice, mimicking the voices in cheesy Kdramas.

Jungkook half-smiled half-cringed at the couple in front of him. They noticed his discomfort and the three shared brief eye contact, before bursting out in laughter. Taehyung and J-Hope shared a knowing look, mentally agreeing that they cracked Jungkook's shell fairly quickly. They only hoped that it would stay this way after school, and all the school days after. 

 

~.~.~.~.~

[AFTER SCHOOL]

 

Namjoon called Jin to meet him in the parking lot, and Jin appeared a few minutes later. 

"Hyung, do you have a car?"

"No, I thought you had one?" Jin's answer came out as more of a question than a statement.

Namjoon sighed. "I guess we're going to have to walk to the park then."

"But Namjoon! The park is a few miles away!"

"Sorry, hyung. We don't have to go if you want," Namjoon said sheepishly.

Although that offer was very tempting, Jin felt guilty of canceling plans, and he felt that they hadn't crossed the boundary of going to each other's houses yet, so he agreed that they walk to the park. Jin instinctively clutched onto Namjoon's arm, like the previous day. Namjoon was taken aback a bit at first.

Jin quickly withdrew his hands. "Sorry, Namjoon," Jin looked down, embarrassed. I hope he doesn't think I meant anything by it. I did by accident because I thought he would be okay with it by now.

"It's okay, hyung. My arm is very comfy," Namjoon joked, hoping to lighten the awkward mood.

"O-okay," Jin muttered, giving a courtesy laugh and returning his hands to his arm.

After a few minutes, Namjoon tried to break the awkward silence by starting up some conversation, "Hyung? Do you ever miss seeing in color?"

Jin was surprised by the sudden question. Of course, he missed it but he tried not to think about it too often. "Yeah, sometimes. But I've gotten used to black and white vision, so it's not too bad."

"What do you miss about it?"

Jeez, he's really curious about this, isn't he? "I don't really know. Of course, everything looked so much prettier and happier in color. But I think the part I miss most is seeing the way couples blushed at each other, mostly my umma and appa. It made me so happy, and it's really hard to find in black and white. I'll catch it sometimes if I'm lucky, but it's not as often anymore," Jin smiled sadly at the memories.

"When people blush, do they blush pink?"

"Yeah. People blush pink."

Things were silent for the next 10 minutes, and they both decided to let it stay that way. They soon reached the park, but instead of it being peacefully quiet like normal, there was a huge crowd of people.

"Namjoon-ah, I thought you said it wasn't going to be crowded."

 


 

Yay! Another long chapter! and the first update where I don't have to apologize for anything AND JUNGKOOKIE IS HERE!!!! YASSSS! This is probably my favorite chapter so far ^_^ and I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I did! And no, Jin & Namjoon and Suga & Jimin aren't on a date...yet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (jk XD, there will absolutely NO in this fanfic). Anyway, until next time!

Love you!

Kilotons