CH. VI

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaehyun led Doyoung, who was trailing behind as his body seemed to have an anchor cuffed on his ankle, to the staircases. He made sure Doyoung walked the stairs safely, and squeezing the other's hands occasionally just to reassure himself that this was really happening – that he was holding his hand once again and it felt so beautifully comfortable with how their hands knew how to perfectly connect with each other as if their bones and muscles still remembered. He didn't mind Doyoung's hands getting clammy as well because his were before they even locked hands anyway – it was just adoring in every sense that he wanted to keep it this way for as long as he could.

"Are you going to tell me where we are going now?" Doyoung asked impatiently wanting to know the destination. They had arrived on the second floor, with the big windows lighting the dimly lit hallway.

"Huh? O-Oh, yeah, this way." Jaehyun stuttered, leading Doyoung down the hallway.

Doyoung followed him still, despite his brain pleading him to stop this before the wound starts bleeding again and it takes another long drag of years to get over it again. But his heart's words were louder than his brain's and he followed Jaehyun further down the hallway, with memories suddenly recalling to him with why this hallway in particular always carried such a heavy, depressing atmosphere when he walked past by.

Jaehyun stopped in front of a classroom, turning the doorknob and seeing it was unlocked. He opened it slowly, and to Doyoung's dismay, the room was empty. Jaehyun let Doyoung in first, shutting the door behind them and Doyoung walking in with foggy memories recollecting. The memories he tried his hardest to forget was useless to fight back, it was the only thing that swarmed his head at this point.

"Sorry, I didn't actually have a reason to bring you here..." Jaehyun said, breaking the silence in the room and his voice slightly echoing, "I just... I just wanted to spend some time alone with you, for a bit."

Doyoung nodded, his eyes trailing to one particular desk to the far corner, with the sunlight ironically shining directly on it as if nature was the culprit of this evil plan of ruining the brick walls he worked hard to put up with simply a blow of the wind.

"Why here?" Doyoung asks.

"My feet kinda just brought me here. I swear I didn't plan it."

Doyoung found no reason why not to believe him. Sometimes, he too, finds his feet drag him to this particular room for no reason whatsoever. It was like his brain did not want him to forget that Jaehyun existed, that he always will, and that he did not have permission to let go just yet.

Jaehyun found himself staring at the same desk as well, guilt swindling him like a hurricane. The memories, unlike with Doyoung, were clear as day. And he could specifically recall the day...

 

 

It was one spring day and unlike present day’s weather, it was cold and dimly lit, with thick gray clouds blanketing the sky and hiding the sun from the people down below. That didn't stop the two young boys, merely in middle school and preparing to go to high school, from visiting their destined high school. There was no stunning reason as to why – they had just heard this school had Dominos pizza every Friday and being kids, pizza is a good enough reason for anything.

It was orientation that day, which meant all those who were visiting the school could explore the whole campus. Jaehyun and Doyoung gladly took the chance to, ditching the tour and running to whatever nearby building they were in close proximity of. The building was silent and vacant from any other persons, making it even more exhilarating for the two kids.

Amazed by the stairs that their middle school didn't have, they ran through the whole building not afraid to scream and cause a ruckus. Jaehyun suddenly decided to enter a room, surprised they hadn't done so earlier.

"H-Hey, Jaehyun, get out of there..." Doyoung called out to Jaehyun when he ventured further into the dark room, "That's like... Trespassing."

"Oh, come on. We're already in here anyway." Jaehyun called out, skimming through a textbook.

Doyoung sighed but gave in anyway, walking over to Jaehyun and peering over the book he was reading. He turned away after a while and scanned the room some more, a finger gliding over the smooth, glossy desk.

"Even the tables are different..." Doyoung mumbled as he sat down on a desk.

Jaehyun grabbed the book and took a seat beside Doyoung, dragging the seat connected to the desk and connecting it to Doyoung's, "You're right."

They looked at the white board in the front although they couldn't make out what most of it said. How unlucky for them to have ventured into a math room and the formula written they would soon learn made even more little sense than it would in the future.

"The windows are cool, huh?" Jaehyun asked with his head on the desk and looking out the window.

"Oh no! It's sprinkling..." Doyoung frowned, "I didn't bring an umbrella."

Jaehyun pinched Doyoung's cheeks, "Don't worry about it. My mom can pick us up if anything."

"I don't want to be any trouble for her, though..."

Jaehyun scoffed, "Trust me you won't. She loves you more than she loves me."

"Don't say that, Jaehyun..." Doyoung said, laughing a bit and nudging his friend softly. He turned back to look at the water droplets now on the window, and the rain falling harder.

Jaehyun opened the textbook again and balanced it laying straight up on the table, thinking ahead of how he could subtly sleep in class in high school. He then stared at Doyoung's profile, watching the older drift on in thought while watching the rain. He didn't know of what, and although curious as to what his best friend may be thinking, he pushed the question aside. Now, he just reached for Doyoung's hands on his desks and wrapped his own around his.

Doyoung turned to look at Jaehyun, who was staring dreamingly into his eyes. Doyoung gulped, averting his eyes away shyly. Jaehyun smiled softly at his friend, always shy despite trying hard to conceal his feelings. Jaehyun loved how his expression were always so blunt and truthful. With his other hand, his fingers grazed over Doyoung's cheek and tucked a few hairs behind his ear, his hand returning back and gliding over his jawline. Doyoung naturally leaned into Jaehyun's touch, unsure whether the loud banging he hears is the rain hitting the window or his heart.

Jaehyun sat up straight and tilted Doyoung's head over to him. Doyoung's eyes slightly widened when he realized what was about to happen. Although, his body did nothing to prevent it. In fact, he shifted his body to face Jaehyun more comfortably and tilted his head slightly on his own as he saw Jaehyun do the same.

Jaehyun let go of Doyoung's hand to hold his face with it. Like in the movies, he tilted his head to the side while Doyoung tilted it the other.. Jaehyun was the one who leaned in first and connect their lips together. Behind the book, because they were afraid of the idea of someone walking in and catching them, he kissed Doyoung softly, afraid he was doing it wrong or if Doyoung wouldn't like it. But at the time, there wasn't anything Doyoung didn't like about Jaehyun. He was convinced despite how young they were, there was no one else in the world for them but each other. It was so naïve of them to believe that, but they were kids and cheesy things like that was hard not to believe true.

Doyoung kissed Jaehyun back, just as amateur as he had with him but to them, it was better than it was shown in the movies. No picture frame could capture the exhilarating thrill sent through their spine and the sudden feel of their body in zero gravity. They were certain, despite it being eachother’s first kiss, that this was the best kiss they would have, and it was only because it was them two. Jaehyun couldn’t imagine his lips on another or how heartbroken he’ll be if he saw Doyoung’s on someone else’s, because his lips were his and the other way around. Their bodies linked naturally, there were no bumps or mishaps and it was as if they were literally made with each other in mind. How could it be possible for to fall in love with anyone other than Doyoung?

They don't know how long they had been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter