CH. XI

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been two weeks since Johnny was announced as class president. Two weeks since Ten was forcefully trapped in the library by himself, collecting dust and skimming through worn out books. Taeyong never appeared a single day after the first, abandoning Ten to work by himself and do his work. If you were to ask him earlier, he would be outraged and appalled of Taeyong's actions. But now, he was content with working alone.

Working alone had a lot to offer for Ten. For one, he knew if he wasn't purposely stuck here he would be alone most likely during lunch after hearing the accountings of his squad and how they are dispersing. According to Johnny, apparently Yuta went mysteriously awol since last week, Doyoung busies himself with the school band to avoid Jaehyun at all costs (who both have made no efforts to talk to each other, which includes on whether the plans for homecoming are on or not), and being class president is a lot more work than Johnny signed up for.

"Dude, everything is so annoying. It's like people can't make a decision without me when I literally don't care about this ugly school."

"But you are class president??"

"Yeah but like..."

Ten stared deadpanned at the tall boy, who's currently sitting on the floor with his back leaning on the book shelf. He snuck in to talk to Ten because he didn't want to go to the council room yet and be bombarded with questions about his opinions.

"But what? You literally signed up for it. I don't know why you did so in the first place. You hate the school and more than half the people who attend it."

"I KNOW, but..."

Ten sighs and pinches his temple, not understanding the logic of Johnny Seo's. He was trying to be as understanding as the other but it was hard for him. Johnny really made little sense and it was agitating trying to help him when he wasn't clear with what he was upset about.

"First of all, you've been complaining to me about student council since last year so I have no idea why you're still in it. Then you decide to run for class president that's even more annoying? Why do you hate yourself??"

"Okay listen... I hate working. I just like getting free stuff and leaving class early for events. That's honestly the only reason why I'm still in it. If you were in it-"

"Shut up with that! I'm never joining student council. I shouldn't even be here. I already make money for myself."

" off, not all of us are as 'privileged' as you. You deadass know half your fans are either obsessive 10 year olds or old grandpas who got a kink for twinks."

Ten snorts, "Heh. That last part rhymed."

"I got bars, I know."

Ten then shook his head when the words finally hit him and smacked Johnny's arm, "You butthole! You're starting to sound like Taeyong, gross."

Johnny snickers, "Where is he anyway?"

"It's nice to know you've been listening. I’ve been telling you he bounced out of here literally after the first day."

"Can't you beat his back here?"

Ten smirks at the reminisce of that day. Ignoring what happened afterwards, fighting Taeyong was such a pleasure of having the opportunity to. He would 10/10 (pun intended) do it again if he could. But sadly, Taeyong was clear from his sight of vision since then and he doesn't feel the same rage from before towards the other. The emotional cloud hovering over his head had gone by and he felt no more or less hatred for the other than before. It was back to normal now.

"I haven't even seen him around school..."

"I see him literally every day. He's doing great, in case you're wondering."

Ten furrows his brows, "What do you mean?"

"He's back to the top. Probably even more now, since now more girls love him because he's now seen as sensitive or whatever. He also got a sidekick, that Mark Lee kid? I think you know him."

"Oh yeah, he's in my Korean class... Wait, what the hell?" Ten slams his fists on the floor, "What's Taeyong doing hanging out with a first year like Mark Lee? That boy doesn't even know the square root to 121!"

Johnny punches Ten on the shoulder, "Boy I don't even know the square root of that!"

Ten ignores the other and rambles on further, "Mark is literally a fluffball. Why is he getting tangled up in the mess that is Lee Taeyong? How??"

"Well... They first got in a fight and the next day they were all buddy-buddy. Now Mark and him are always seen together. It's kind of adorable, actually."

"Literally shut up, Johnny Seo. Everything is adorable to you because you are as tall as the Eifel tower and as ugly as a blobfish," Ten glares at Johnny and groans loudly, "I hate this! Mark has to get away from that before he gets hurt... Again."

Johnny shrugs, "I dunno. I think it's good to have Mark with him. With him there, he'll bother you less, since Mark is just a replacement of you."

Ten furrows his eyebrows confusedly, "Replacement?"

Johnny nods, "I was thinking about it and it might be the reason why Taeyong stopped coming. He doesn't have a reason to pick on you anymore because he got bored of you. Kinda like Jaehyun with his boy – and you, with your hoe . Y'all move on too quick."

Ten gasps in realization, as everything starts adding up and he lets out a squeal.

"I do not condone this!"

Johnny frowns in confusion, letting the boy explain himself.

"Who does he think I am to toss me away like that? I'm THE Chittaphon Ten Leechaiyakul. People don't just get 'bored' of me!"

Ten misses the way Johnny rolls his eyes and the elder gets up from his seat. Sadly, he's heard this rant of Ten's celebrity mayhem too many times that he's got it all memorized and can't bear to hear it another time.

"Sit your down-"

"I have to get going," Johnny cuts him off, "Good luck."

"No, Johhny, don't go! It's sooo boring."

"It's boring there too. But I gotta..."

"Whyyyy~" Ten whines as he clings onto Johnny's ankle to prevent him from walking away.

Johnny sighs and attempts to shake off Ten's grip, who's letting out bloody squeals to keep him from leaving, catching the attention of everyone in the library and turn to look their way. And from behind them they hear someone clear their throat and they both look towards the sound the same time.

In front of them is the librarian with her crusty red polished nails pinching the arms of a familiar somebody Ten hasn't seen in two weeks, his hair no longer platinum but a dark brown. He looked more fragile under the grip of the old woman who showed no mercy, ignoring the redness of her hold in his forearm. Ten doesn't notice his lips slip out his name, "Taeyong..."

Johnny glances at the other, catching how Ten looks memorized staring at Taeyong, who is staring at the ground, his eyebrows slightly furrowed, in attempts to hide the pain he is in. Johnny notices a glint in his best friend's eyes, one he's never seen before. He watches as Ten's breath hitches and for a moment turning to look at Taeyong, he notices the same with the other. He watches as Taeyong inhales a deep breath and holds it, his palms rubbing against each other nervously under the sleeves of his blazer and bite his lip.

Johnny focuses his vision behind Taeyong, watching the two security guards and the principle attempt to Mark Lee out of the library. The first year is stubborn to leave, calling out the other's name for attention but the wicked old lady only grips his skin harder and this time Taeyong winces and attempts to wiggle out of her grip.

"But Taeyong-"

"Taeyong is fine, now please leave." The principle speaks firmly.

Taeyong, still struggling to loosen her grip, turns back to Mark, who is still hesitant to walk away until the elder nods his head for him to leave. Mark sighs and pouts slightly, walking away sulkily. Taeyong then turns back to the front and finally decides to shake the grip of the librarian with rapid force, making her glare at him and raise her hand to smack him.

The principle puts her hand down and excuses her. Taeyong fixes himself as he glares at the back of the librarian. Ten can almost see the imaginary daggers he's sending towards her direction.

"What brings you here, Johnny Seo? Shouldn't you be at the council meeting?"

Johnny nods as he chuckles nervously, "Just had to grab something from Ten."

"What was it?" The principle asks.

"This... Pencil." Johnny fishes in his pocket and pulls out a tiny wooden pencil, shaved to the point where it almost touches the eraser and smiles, "I have it already so I'll be leaving."

Johnny excuses himself quickly, abandoning Ten with Taeyong and the principle. The two security guards were excused and now Taeyong was looking up, but not at him.

"It had come to my attention that Taeyong was not fulfilling his part of the detention. I want to apologize for Taeyong, who should have not let you do all the work. Rest assured, Taeyong will have further consequences and you won't."

Ten shrugs nonchalantly and says, "Is that all?"

The principle glances at Taeyong as if he expects him to say something but he doesn't. Instead, his eyes skim through the shelves of the book and the uncollected dust. Ten can't deny he feels let down, but he also doesn't know what else he expected from the other. He simply nods and smiles at the principle, "I'll get back to work then."

The principle nods, sparing Taeyong one last glance before excusing himself. Ten turns his back away from Taeyong, hoping that as long as he can't see him he'd soon forget his presence, but it's all his mind is preoccupied with now. He can't stop thinking about the other boy, who he can hear is fixing his uniform again, and wonder how he feels.

He isn't angry, per say. He can't be angry anymore at Taeyong. It's been two weeks and he isn't Doyoung, who can keep a grudge for years (clearly). He still hates the kid obviously, but he feels rather sad than angry after what Johnny had told him. Being considered boring just didn't make sense to him. To make things worse, he was replaced as if he was a toy. How could anyone toss aside such a godly looking figure like he is?

Ten wasn't repulsed by Taeyong, but the scrawny boy still proved to be a bother. Ten continued working in silence, mindlessly shoving books into the book shelf while his head swarmed with thoughts of himself (and Taeyong) until he heard someone snicker behind him. He turned around and glared at the other, who was covering his laugh with the sleeves of his uniform blazer.

"What are you laughing about, huh?" Ten snaps.

Taeyong simply points to the back of the book shelf. Ten walks over to look at what he's pointing at and sees that he's been knocking the books on the other side off their shelves and onto the floor. Books were scattered into a pile across the aisle and Ten groaned, crouching down to pick them up before he felt a tap on his back and tipped over, falling on his bum.

Ten glanced over at Taeyong who walked over him and started picking up the books on his own, simply watching the other with his mouth agape. Taeyong picks all of them up and from there, he orders the book in alphabetical order as he places them back in the shelves. Ten simply watches from below, Taeyong looking like a giant from the angle because of his long, thin legs. Ten feels himself getting choked up after a few minutes pass by from simply watching Taeyong organize the books, oddly looking gracious as he does so. He takes a deep, rigid breath and straightens himself out from laying on the floor, sitting on the floor with his back against the book shelf.

Taeyong is done a few minutes later and he finally turns to look at Ten, and for a short moment their eyes lock. Ten inhales a deep gust of air afraid of what to do, and Taeyong shies away first, turning away quickly back to the books. Ten smirks and watches Taeyong some more, noticing how precise Taeyong is.

"You're so extra." Ten's voice breaks the deafening silence between them and Taeyong stops from placing a book on the shelf when his voice goes to his ears. He doesn't say anything back, instead going back to work.

Ten watches Taeyong drag the cart back and start skimming through the books. Ten groans as he lifts himself off the floor and walks over to the cart. But Taeyong's arm hits his chest and he glances up to other, who is preventing him from getting to the cart.

"Go sit."

"Sit?" Ten snorts, "I'm not a dog, you know?"

Taeyong finally looks at Ten, although it's for a short while, and shrugs, "You smell like one."

Ten glares at the other and punches his shoulder, making him wince in pain but he bites his lip to hide it. Ten chuckles and attempts to grab a book from the cart but Taeyong stops him again.

"Don't."

"Why not?" Ten mumbles as he attempts to grab another book before Taeyong grabs his wrist and pulls it down.

"I got it. Just... Sit."

Ten glances at his wrist, noticing how the way Taeyong holding it feels different from other times, and doesn't realize himself blushing. The skinship reminds him of their last meet-up in the library, where Ten kissed Taeyong and the fatal attraction he had for the other suddenly resurrecting in the pit of his stomach.

Taeyong clears his throat and stops holding his wrist, vigorously throwing it to Ten’s side. He turns his back to Ten and goes back to grabbing books. Ten ignores the tingling feel of his cheeks and asks Taeyong with his back still faced to him, "Why are you here?"

Taeyong shrugs his shoulders, "I was forced here by the security when they caught me in the cafeteria."

Ten hides his disappointment in his tone by simply responding, "Oh."

"Yeah..."

Ten turns to walk away but twirls around his feet again to ask another question, "Why haven't you been coming? You left me here for two weeks to do all the work. You know how boring and tiring it was?"

"I didn't want to come."

Ten snorts and feels the anger that was once forgotten come back and raises his voice so he could surely hear him, "And you think I do?"

Taeyong takes a deep breath and sighs, placing the books he's holding down. Ten steps back, afraid of what he'll do but instead, he doesn't do anything. He just stays frozen, as if in deep thought before speaking, startling Ten.

"... I'm sorry."

Taeyong finally turns around to face Ten, yet his eyes are shakily looking elsewhere, avoiding meeting his eyes. His hands hide underneath the sleeves of his blazer and he nods his head as if he's confirming he said that. Ten notices a slight warm tone in Taeyong’s cheeks and fails to speak because his tongue is in knots. He grips the palms of his hands together out of nerves and in an attempt to calm himself.

"H-huh?" Ten chokes out.

"I'm... Sorry," Taeyong says again as he leans back on the cart with his hands balancing him, "I'd do the work from here on out so just... Stand there, or sit."

Ten nods his head yet he's not sure of what he's really agree

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter