CH. XV

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12/23. this is the second half of the double update! so pls make sure to read ch. 14 beforehand :-) hope you enjoy it! 

Yuta climbs up the stairs the same time as Mark Lee is coming down the stairs. They walk immensely slow as they walk past each other, staring at each other. Mark Lee furrows his eyebrows confusedly and shakes his head to get rid of the nerve. Something about Yuta told him to beware, but for what reason he couldn't tell. Maybe it was the unfamiliar straight face on the Japanese boy that was rarely seen, or the squeezed fists underneath his blazer. Yuta is the first to look away, and walks past him in utter silence other than his deadly stare that seems to speaking a thousand words. He continues to chase after Taeyong and curses to himself for abandoning him to argue with Donghyuck about the Mandela effect about Darth Vader's line to Luke.

"Aw come on, Taeyong! Where can you be?" Mark whines out loud to the empty halls.

"You're looking for Taeyong too?" A voice calls from behind.

"Oh? Ten..." Mark can't hide the bitterness in his tone. He was still iffy with Ten, especially salty about Taeyong choosing Ten over him.

Ten laughs, "You're mad at me too?"

"... Too?" Mark suddenly feels guilty, "Not at all. Nope. Why would I?"

Ten eyes the other but doesn't question further. "Well, anyway... You said you were looking for Taeyong, right?"

"Yeah... So are you?"

Ten laughs airily, "Yup. He suddenly ran off when he was organizing some magazines, so I got... Worried, or whatever. I thought he was sick or something but he went really far, and I definitely don't want him ditching me at the library again."

"No, he said he wouldn't ever again," Mark says, "I looked for where we usually hang out but he's not there either."

Ten smiles at the younger, "Why don't we look together?"

"S-Sure, yeah."

As Mark said that, footsteps down the stairs caught their attention and both of the boys watched with anticipation. But to their dismay, or rather Mark's, it was just Donghyuck.

"I've been looking everywhere for you!" Donghyuck says as he tries to catch his breath again, "I ran to the office to get my phone the teacher took from me just to show you this! You can't call it a hoax anymore, now~"

Donghyuck walked over to Mark and hovered over the other with his phone out and with Mark expecting a photo or video, what he got instead was the front face camera and twenty derp pictures of himself.

"What the hell, dude?!" Mark cries as he reaches for Donghyuck's phone that he has up the air. He tries to jump for it but Donghyuck plays with him like a fool by putting his arm down as soon as he does. Then suddenly his phone is out of his hand and Donghyuck flinches towards the short upper classman.

"That's my phone – "

"Mark and I are kinda busy so we don't have time for this – "

"Busy doing what?" Donghyuck snorts as he turns to look at Mark, "Writing Harry Potter fanfiction?"

Mark raises his hand up in the air to backhand him, "That was one time and it was for a joke!"

Donghyuck sticks his tongue out at the other and Ten sighs, "Listen here. I am not trying to be played by another ridiculously attractive boy again and by not letting that happen, I need to find him now. If you are going to flirt with Mark some more than please – at least do it while being productive and help us find Taeyong."

Donghyuck and Mark blush and instantly retort at the same time, "We aren't flirting!"

"Jinx!" They both say at the same time.

"Jinx again!"

"Oh my god, shut the hell up and start walking!" Ten groans and pushes the first year forwards as they search for the totally-not-ridiculously-attractive-boy-he-didn't-say-earlier.

"You guys said Taeyong, right? Lee Taeyong?" Donghyuck asks as he trails behind Mark, trying to trip him.

"Duh. What other relevant Taeyong is there?" Ten mumbles as his eyes search his surroundings.

"Oh, then I know where he is."

"Really?!" Mark and Ten exclaim simultaneously.

Donghyuck shrugs, "He was at the office when I went. He was sitting so he might still be there – wait, where are you guys going – wait for me!"

Donghyuck chases the two boys sprinting over to the office – to see who will get their first as if it's a competiion – and they both make it at the same time. Once they enter, they see no seats are taken – but luckily before leaving they hear Taeyong's muffled name in a room and decide to wait for him by sitting. Donghyuck gasps for air and leans on Mark's shoulder to gain energy again, definitely noticed by Ten and he wiggles a brow at Mark. Mark quickly shudders Donghyuck off of him with flushed cheeks.

"Oh right, the video I was actually supposed to show you," Donghyuck says as he whips out his phone, "This is the proof!"

Ten watches the video from the sidelines but somehow, his vision catches an office door open and by instinct, he jumps up. Disappointingly, it was only an office lady.

"You know, I heard Taeyong might like somebody," Donghyuck shares with a lowered volume voice.

"Who?" Ten bluntly asks as he turns his attention to Donghyuck.

"Rumors say it's a guy."

"A guy?!" Mark gasps, "I never thought Taeyong was..."

"Attractive guys always end up being gay – it's a proven fact," Ten says matter-of-factly, "I mean, just look at me – "

"Anyway, they say its' a second year," Donghyuck adds with a quick glance at Ten, "And he's popular, too."

Ten can't help but grin a bit because who else could it be than him? He couldn't blame Taeyong for falling for him – if he could in some way, he would fall for himself too – and it would explain why Taeyong has been so... Nice, and distant.

"It's just a rumor, obviously..."

"We'll see about that," Ten confidently remarks and another door props open.

"Taeyong!" Ten blurts out as he stands up.

Taeyong glances over and furrows his eyebrows at the other. Mark stands up as well but Ten beats him to running over to the other. Somehow, after Donghyuck's conversation, he has even more confidence. If Taeyong would be as subtle as possible, it was up to Ten to be as straightforward as possible if he wanted things to work. Even if he would be rejected like yesterday when Taeyong refused to kiss him back, it wasn't anything new. He was rejected countless times but he had also been accepted a few times, too. And slow progress was progress nonetheless.

Ten threw his arms around Taeyong and stands on his tippy toes so he can purposely have his breath tickle the other's neck. But instead of feeling arms wrap around him as well – he's shrugged off and ignored. Taeyong walks over to Mark and grabs his wrist, leading him out of the office. Donghyuck glances at Ten, a sustained giggle in the surface of erupting and Ten glares at the door. Of course, rejection always hurts whatever the case.

"Hey Ten," Donghyuck says as Ten gets ready to leave as well.

"What?" Ten snaps as he holds the door open.

"Do you remember the line being 'Luke I am your father'?"

"... Yeah, that's it."

Donghyuck slowly shakes his head and stands up, "You're wrong. It's always been 'No, I am your father.' Mark says Taeyong remembers it the correct way. That's just something you should think about before getting ahead of yourself."

Donghyuck dismisses himself first before Ten could retort anything back. And once again, Taeyong left Ten stranded and clueless. But this time, with a little more dignity and determination.

 

 

"Taeyong, where are we going? Isn't this ditching?" Mark asks as he trails behind Taeyong still. They've walked out the main entrance and walked down the front yard path with a quick pace.

"Mark, I need you to be quiet for just a moment while I think."

"Sorry," Mark quickly apologizes.

"Don't' be..." Taeyong then sighs and loosens his grip on Mark's wrists finally. He runs his hand through his hair frustrated and looks around the parking lot, "He left already."

"Who?" Mark asked as he watched Taeyong pull out his phone and puts it against his ear

"Hansol."

"Oh! I like Hansol," Mark smiles as he remembers the last encounter he had with the shy third year, "What's wrong with him?"

Taeyong glances at Mark but before he could explain, his phone call answers, "Where are you?"

Mark can't hear the other line but he sees Taeyong nod, "I'll be there in ten."

He hangs up and motions Mark to follow him.

"Taeyong... Is it okay for us to ditch?" Mark asks again as he watches Taeyong dodge the eyes of the security.

"Is it okay for you to leave your friend alone?" Taeyong argues.

"Well, that's kind of hypocritical of you to say..." Mark mumbles to himself as he dunks behind a car.

"Hypocritical? How?"

"I-I didn't mean for you to hear that – "

"No, tell me." Taeyong says as he sits down, "Be honest with me."

"I just... You left me for Ten, when I'm your friend and I was alone. You leave me a lot, and don't tell me a lot of things. But it's not a big deal, honestly. I'm just... Saying, that's all."

"Oh..." Taeyong simply responds. He bites his lip and nods his head, "You know, ever since you started talking to Donghyuck you've become so vocal."

"Ew!" Mark cringes, "We don't talk! We fight."

Taeyong laughs and ruffles Mark's hair, "Either way... I'm sorry. I make you stick by me a lot but that's because you're the only friend I have, too. Well, real friend. I don't tell you a lot of things because I'm not a good person and I don't want you to know about that."

"What do you mean...?" Mark asks.

"You're like a little brother to me. I want to be a good example to you – although right now I'm not really being one – but I have lots of regrets. Many, too many to count." Taeyong took a deep breath and continued, "So I just want you to be better than me. I'm not just 'cool' and 'popular.' If you knew closely how I got this reputation, you may not want to be around me anymore."

"Not at all, dude. I mean I'm not clueless – you're different from how you are with me and with others. It doesn't take a genius to know that. But, thanks for explaining to me. I understand you have things you want to hide. We all do. We're human."

"You're a smart kid, Mark," Taeyong smiled and then sighed, "You should go back actually."

"Aw, no man!!" Mark whined like a child, "I want to see Hansol!"

"... I told you just now. You're going to see I'm not a good person."

"It's okay, Taeyong. No one is."

Taeyong smiled again and then nodded, "Alright, let's not make him wait any longer."

The two managed to sneak out of the parking lot without getting noticed, and they ran off to a nearby diner. Taeyong held the door open for Mark to enter first, and as he entered he found Hansol easily.

"How many?" A waitress asks as she admires Taeyong's beauty.

"Uh, we're with that guy."

"Okay, let me you," She smiles as she stands beside Taeyong – maybe to compare her height with his – and Mark giggles.

"Just call me when you're ready," She smiles at Taeyong as she hands him a menu and walks away with her hips swaying.

"You're really just a lady-killer dude," Mark awes.

"Too bad he doesn't swing that way."

Mark looks over to the voice that spoke and sees its Hansol. His hair is teased aggressively and there's hickeys – no more like bruises – on his neck. There's a small cut on his lip and below his eyebrow, Mark musters the best friendly smile he could give him.

"Hansol," Taeyong walks over and shockingly – he pulls the other into an embrace.

Mark awkwardly wraps his arms around Hansol as well – for whatever reason – and they stay that way for a few seconds, maybe an entire minute. Then he hears Hansol's muffled voice, "I'm fine."

"No, you're not," Taeyong says as he pulls away, "Why don't you ever call me? I've told you – "

"How am I supposed to pull out my phone in the middle of it?" Hansol sighs and shakes his head, "Forget it, Taeyong. Thank you anyway."

Mark stares at Hansol with his mouth agape. It was his first time hearing him speak so clearly, it was like seeing a dog walk on his hind feet. Hansol glances over at Mark and he instantly gets flustered.

"You've met Mark already, haven't you?"

Hansol nods and shyly waves hi.

"Yeah I was the other person hugging you. Sorry."

"... It's fine."

Mark smiles to ease the tension and Taeyong pulls the chair out for Mark to sit. Mark thanks him and sits across from Hansol. Taeyong sits as well and stares at Hansol, or more specifically; his scars.

"Taeyong..." Hansol's voice is soft as he stares deadpanned at the table, "Have you ordered yet?"

Mark feels Taeyong's heart fall. He must've been expecting a different question.

"No, I haven't... Mark, what do you want?"

"I don't have money..."

"I'll pay. Pick whatever you want."

"I feel bad, though..."

"I'll feel bad if you don't eat anything, so pick."

Mark sighs in defeat and opens the menu to look through it. The table is silent as everyone looks through the menu, Mark specifically looking for whatever is the cheapest.

"Are you having trouble?" Taeyong breaks the silence to ask Mark.

"H-Huh?? Kinda..." Mark stutters.

"I recommend this," Taeyong points at a plate, "I think you'll like it. You're from Canada, right?"

"Yeah," Mark can't help but giggle about the fact that Taeyong remembered where he's from, "If it's not a problem for you, sure."

Hansol smiles softly as he looks through the menu in silence, admiring the first year. Taeyong had a good instinct in picking friends, even if for bad intentions at first. He wished he had that skill.

"Are you all ready?" The same flirty waitress asks them, batting her eyelashes at Taeyong.

Taeyong glances at Hansol and nods, "Yeah. We'll have this..."

Taeyong begins to list their orders and Mark glances over at Hansol who is staring out the window. He turns to look and he sees the sky has a cloud, the first he's seen all week.

"It's supposed to rain tomorrow apparently," Taeyong says after the waitress walks away with their order, "Don't forget an umbrella."

"That's weird. It's been hot all week."

"It is. I'm going to go to the bathroom – are you coming?"

Mark shakes his head and Taeyong dismisses himself. Mark then sits with Hansol awkwardly. Their drinks come and they say thank you, but they go back to silence again. Then Mark musters up to ask the question that's been bugging him.

"What happened to you?" Mark shyly asks as he looks at the bruises on the third year's neck.

"I was beat," Hansol says with just as much softness as Mark's voice to ask.

"B-Beat?" Mark stutters, "By who??"

"Football players."

"Why?!" Mark gasps.

"Just because."

"They beat you 'just because'? That's so... Mean..."

Hansol nods as he takes a sip of his drink. Mark watches him closely, as if Hansol's an animal at an exhibit – because never before had he expected Hansol to be the one to be bullied. He was just so... Innocent to temper with, but people like him were always the easy ones to pick on. It was cruel, really.

"So... You left school early?"

Hansol nodded his head and this time he's the one to ask, "Shouldn't you be at school?"

"O-Oh... I was supposed to go back but I decided to stay, because I haven't seen you in a while. I never see you at school either."

Hansol nodded his head, "It's good you don't."

"Why? You're cool!" Mark praises, "You should hang out with Taeyong and me. It'll be really nice."

Hansol chuckled and shook his head, "That's nice of you to say. But haven't you heard who Busan is?"

Mark nodded his head. He had heard classmates mentioning the name but he had never seen how the boy looked like or what the deal was with everyone about him. He only knew Busan as a city but never understood the reasoning behind the nickname, or why anyone would have the nickname as a city. Mark then looked up at Hansol and the solemn look on his face answered his initial question that this Busan person was him.

"Oh..." Mark mumbled as he realized who he was, "But if you're friends with Taeyong, wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter