CH. XXV

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The walk from the alleyway where Johnny nearly faced death to his attacker's house was only about a street away. He recognized the street, and excitedly walked ahead to the house he remembered. He carried the carton of milk in his hand while Taeil carried the plastic bag of tampons for his mom, slowly trudging back of him. He could still feel how sweaty he felt and the uneasy feeling against his chest even afterwards. And for some reason, whenever Johnny turned around just to make sure Taeil didn't get lost, the feeling in his chest would tighten and his jaw would shut tight. He listened to Johnny's nonsensical conversations to the air, enjoying the amount of communication he's had in life recently. In all honesty, Johnny was the only person in a long time he can have conversations like this. Perhaps, if his embarrassment didn't get in the way, he can admit himself that Johnny was the first he felt a connection with.

Taeil unconsciously began to smile a bit, his cheeks underneath the moon's light mocking the color of a rose. He didn't know why thinking of Johnny as a friend made him so giddy and... Happy. Even if at times, he brought him the strangest pain he's never felt. Almost frustration, if he had to be specific.

"Are you okay?" Johnny's voice cut his thoughts.

"Hm?" Taeil blurted out as he pushed himself out of his own head and to reality again, "Yeah. Yeah, I am. Sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?" Johnny laughs a bit, "I should be for giving you a tough time."

Taeil shook his head, "You're not giving me a hard time. I wouldn't feel good if you walked home alone or waited at night."

Johnny smiled – making Taeil's breath hitch a bit – and nodded, "Alright. I also want to apologize for earlier. I felt like I hurt you when you walked out in the morning."

"When?" Taeil wondered, then remembering and getting embarrassed, "Oh, about that... It wasn't you. I just needed fresh air. Sorry."

"Oh... Alright," Johnny didn't buy it for a second but one of many things Taeil was grateful about the kid was that he never stepped out of boundaries, "Look. I see your house from here!"

"You remember which house it is?" Taeil was a bit shocked he did.

"I have an impressive memory, I know," Johnny smirked in boasting confidence.

Taeil scoffed and picked up his pace so he can walk beside Johnny's overbearing height. He looked up at Johnny, who happened to have looked down the same time, making him flustered and look away quicker than a second. He heard Johnny chuckle a bit and clear his throat.

"U-Uh... Um... Taeil?"

Taeil nodded his head and glanced up at Johnny for a moment, seeing the other was already looking down and again, their eyes catch each other but this time he can't pull himself to look away. He's always amazed at his height, and the difference between them. He can't help but feel sad, with no idea why.

"Um... So, homecoming."

"What about it?"

"It's coming up soon, isn't it?"

"Yeah... Less than two weeks, right?"

"Yeah," Johnny coddles the milk carton closer to his chest and with greater force than before because of the nerves, "I know the committee has to volunteer anyway but... My offer is still up. Why don't you be my date?"

"Y-Y-Y.. Wha – " Taeil can't form an understanding sentence and Johnny can't help but giggle.

"Sorry, what language is that?"

Taeil blushed further and stumbled on his foot a bit, Johnny catching him before the poor boy loses more balance. Taeil quickly slid out of his grip though and he didn't even realize they were in his front yard.

"Did I make it uncomfortable?" Johnny asked with a nervous laugh.

"Y-You... You were serious?"

"Uh... Duh?" Johnny laughed, "I mean, I know I didn't go outrageous in asking but of course I would be. Who do you take me as?"

Taeil thought hard and he suddenly felt so terrible. How could he assume Johnny was that type of guy? Sure, he had a lot of girls (and boys) after him but that fact didn't make him any less faithful. If he asked, he must've felt sincere about it. After all, he could ask anyone, but he asked him.

But then, Taeil's saboteur in his head reminded him. Exactly. He can ask ANYONE. What number choice was he? Last, most likely. A meaningless question to Johnny but the world to him.

Taeil shook his head. No. Johnny was his... Friend, no matter how much that word hurt him for no known reason. He needed to trust his word. What does it matter if he's the first, second, or last choice? He's asking which is what matters, he's asking him. Taeil needed to stop beating up his own self-esteem and Johnny's.

"No...?"

"Huh?" Taeil shook his head once again, "No! No – no, like – Yes?"

Johnny furrowed his eyebrows and tilted his head like a cute puppy, "What?"

"I-I don't know..." Taeil blurted out.

"Oh, alright. Don't worry about it," Johnny smiled but it looked so sad, "Just let me know soon, yeah? Not to rush you or anything but – "

"I want to go with you..." Taeil cuts off Johnny with his soft voice, low and whispery, and a smile creeps onto the Chicago boy when he hears him until the elder continues to speak, "But, why would you want to go with me...?"

They were in front of his door step now, but neither took the effort to open it. Instead they stood across from each other, Johnny staring at Taeil who stared at his feet.

"Aw, come on, Taeil. Why wouldn't I? You're like the coolest person I've met this year. I know I come off as a jackass but I wouldn't ask you if I didn't know the reasons either. Do I need to write out all the reasons why?"

"I'm... Boring," Taeil blurts out, "And there's hundreds of other people who would want to go with you. I – "

Johnny suddenly grasped Taeil's shoulder and shook him a bit, making the elder startled and glance up. Johnny stared at him with a deep stare, finally hearing the pace of his heart that was drumming against his chest that he feared would wake up his neighborhood.

"Taeil," Johnny spoke softly, "I know there are things going on in your head that is telling you otherwise, but trust me. Believe me. There's no one else I want to go with other than you. You don't need to give me an answer now. Hell, you could tell me a minute before it starts and I'll still be so happy and grateful. Just... Take my word, alright?"

"J-Johnny..." Taeil suddenly felt tears brewing up in his eyes, "I-I-"

Taeil begins to break down right in front of him. Johnny stares at him stunned, afraid of what he did to make his senior start crying. He started patting Taeil's back in attempts to sooth him but it seemed to make the other cry more. Taeil's body hiccupped as he tried his best to hold them in but they only came out louder and a fountain of tears more. Everything he held in, every bad thought and all the happy ones just began spewing out. For the longest time, he felt so lonely. He was lonely. His world was only himself and whatever the future planned for himself only. Never did he ever think until he stepped into his life, his future may be shared with someone else. It made him so happy. It made him so depressed, all at the same time. To think days ago, he wanted to disappear. That his bed sheets would him into a void the moment he woke up, or he'd never wake up from his study nap. But that would mean leaving him, and hurting him. He didn't deserve the patience Johnny has been given him.

Johnny wrapped his arms around Taeil and brought him up to his chest, brushing his hair as a stronger attempt to calm the other. Taeil sobbed into his chest silently, his tears reluctantly falling as much as he wanted them to stop.

His vision and mind went blurry, but as he began to start collecting himself again, he realized he was in his room already, laid down on the bed staring into the blank wall of his. He wiped his swollen eyes on the sleeve of his pullover and yawned, glancing around the room to see Johnny was sitting on the floor, his back leaning on his bed as he skimmed through the channels. He sat up and stretched his sore limbs, the bed creaking and catching Johnny's attention.

"You're awake," Johnny smiled.

"Awake?" Taeil furrowed his eyebrows, never remembering falling asleep.He dug in his pocket for his phone.

He checked the time and saw it was 10 A.M.

"S-School!" Taeil began to take off the blankets but Johnny flung his arm and pushed him back down into bed.

"Slow down there, kiddo," Johnny laughed.

"Why didn't you wake me up for school?" Taeil asked as he glanced around his room.

"Because I only just woke up about fifteen minutes ago," Johnny laughed, "And you looked so comfortable sleeping I didn't bother."

"My parents are going to kill me if they know I missed school," Taeil mumbled as he wrapped the blankets around himself as he sat crisscross.

"They know," Johnny simply replied as he turned his attention back into the television.

"W-What?"

"I woke up because your mom came in. She was the one that actually told me to not wake you up."

"Really...?"

Johnny nodded, "But... School aside, how do you feel?"

Taeil rubbed his eyes and collected his thoughts of last night, falling back into bed and groaning. Johnny laughed and patted his head in reassurance. Taeil felt his face flare up and hid his face underneath the blankets to calm himself down.

"Don't feel embarrassed," Johnny hummed, "It's okay to let it all out sometimes."

"But in front of you..." Taeil peaked out of the blankets, "I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing for feeling. It's fine – seriously. I'm glad I was there to help at least a bit."

"You did... Thanks," Taeil smiled.

Johnny blushed and nodded, "Well...You look a lot brighter, so it seemed like it helped."

"Yeah... I feel kinda relieved," Taeil replied, "I feel like garbage, but less trashy garbage. Does that make sense?"

"Perfectly," Johnny laughed as he shifted and rested his chin on his bed.

"Why did you sleep on the floor?" Taeil asked, "This bed isn't that small."

"I'm 6'2," Johnny snorted, "And I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

"I feel bad," Taeil mumbled, "That carpet has had so much juice spilled on it."

"I can see that," Johnny chuckled.

Taeil shuffled his hand out of the covers and patted the space between them, offering Johnny to get up.

"A-Are you sure?" Johnny uncoolly stuttered, as he felt the points of his ears start to tingle.

Taeil simply scooted farther for more space for the more built other. Johnny took the offer shyly and sat on the bed, Taeil pulling him down to lay his whole body down.

"This reminds me..." Johnny mumbled, "Of my first time coming here."

Taeil blushed, "Oh yeah..."

Johnny glanced over at Taeil who looked like a caterpillar built of blankets, half his face peeking out and the rest of his body comfortably covered.

Johnny laid on his side to face Taeil, who he could see closely enough his cheeks increasingly become rosy. Taeil's hand sneaked their way out of the covers again and they suddenly grip onto Johnny's, pulling it closer to him as his eyes flutter close. Johnny couldn't hide this smile and brought himself closer, intertwining his fingers with Taeil's and giving them a light squeeze. Taeil smiled underneath the covers (although Johnny had no idea other than the creases under his eyes developing) and let himself snooze off again, this time with no tears and Johnny beside him.

 

 

 

"Johnny didn't come to school today..." Ten wondered out loud to himself as he stared down at his phone, seeing the text he sent to his friend still on delivered.

He was worried about his friend, for all sorts of reasons. He couldn't imagine Johnny having a job now, nor could he imagine him doing it to impress somebody. And from all the people of this school, it was even more unimaginable that the person he's doing it for is Moon Taeil. They were both on the opposite sides of the spectrum. He had no idea how it could've happened, but something about it gave him hope. Sure, they were both incredibly different, but they still got along well. It made him look at his relationship with Taeyong currently and get impatient. He desperately wanted to impress and woo Taeyong too, but that kid was so incredibly ridiculous in every single aspect. If it were up to his impulses he would have either punched him in the throat or kiss the out of him already, but he had to restrain himself from doing either or both.

It didn't help either that the only people he could vent to were both busy with their own issues. Doyoung was almost never alone thanks to Jaehyun's clingy , and Yuta is never around for god knows what. In fact, he hasn't heard or seen his friend all day today, despite always seeing him during passing period. He's spammed the out of him but he was still left on delivered since yesterday. Ten was getting used to this reluctantly, being left on delivered.

Out of pure boredom and a bit of edginess, Ten looked through his past contacts and looked for Taeyong's. He found his number, yet to save him as a contact, and typed with his thumbs in hyper speed.

TEN: hey qt

He didn't expect much truthfully. Taeyong's left his last message on delivered as well, he was pretty sure the kid didn't even remember texting him. If anything, he at least wanted a "Who's this?" response back. That's how desperate Ten was for his attention.

He was lucky enough to be in his graphic design class so that he can spend his time staring at his phone without getting in trouble. His foot tapped rapidly in anticipation. Out of irritating curiosity, he opened their messages again just to see what the current situation was.

But when he opened it, he saw the sight he never expected. A chat bubble with three dots, meaning Taeyong was RESPONDING.

", , !" Ten cursed under his breath as he rushed to close the chat and turned off his phone. He didn't want Taeyong to think he was actually waiting for a response. Even though technically... He was.

Taeyong: mark?

Ten's mouth dropped.

"This ing ," Ten snapped as he unlocked his phone and typed away.

Ten: ing hoe

Ten: it's ten

Ten: snake bitvh

He locked his phone again, not bothering to correct his typo, and set it down aggressively, almost sensing a migraine approaching. Who the was Mark and why was he talking to his man like that? He's sure whoever it is, he's going to beat his ing and –

"Hey, Ten!" A voice spoke to his right, "Mind if I sit here?"

Ten looked over to see who had called him, only to have the realization that the person in front of him also happened to be called Mark. A Mark that Taeyong happened to know. And be close with. And hang out with every day... But how could he even threaten a kid like him in his mind like that? More importantly, how could he forget this cute little first year's name like that? He was more disappointed in that than anything else. He felt so dumb now.

"Mark, you have this class?" Ten furrowed his brows, "And sure, go ahead."

"Yeah, since the beginning of the school year. You never noticed?"

"No... Honestly, I didn't even hear your name get called out for role. Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I'm serious," Mark laughs, "I used to sit in the back, but I can't anymore. I'm really going to strangle Donghyuck one of these days."

"Donghyuck?" Ten furrowed his brows, "Did you guys get into a fight? But aren't you two like... Dating?"

Mark's mouth dropped and he rapidly shook his head in denial, "What? WHAT!? Dating? Heck no! Are you kidding? I hate him!"

Ten shrugged his shoulders, "First year gossip..."

Mark shook his head in denial again, despite his cheeks turning a nice shade of pink against his skin, "I would never. He's so annoying!"

"He's funny sometimes..." Ten shrugged, "I mean, it does look like you two liked each other."

"How? All we do is fight!"

"Exactly, like an old married couple. It's cute."

"That's not cute..." Mark furrowed his eyebrows in frustration, "It's not like you and Taeyong. We will fight to the death if we have to."

"Me and...?" Ten started to blush, "Y-You think we're cute together?"

Mark shrugged, "I guess?"

Ten leaned forward, "What does he say about me?"

"I... I don't – "

Mark was cut off by a bing from Ten's phone. Ten nearly fell off his chair trying to grab his phone but he luckily saved himself, unlocking it quickly to open his message. It was Taeyong again, he couldn't believe it!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter