CH. XXVII

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week had passed since Yuta had stolen Hansol’s first kiss. A full week preparing for the anticipated homecoming for his last year in high school, and the last day he’ll ever share another moment with the man he would never willingly admit to himself. Life was busy for all his friends. He was so busy with his own, that he didn’t realize his friends were all changing for the better, except him. But he was going to change that, if there was any way he could.

"Please, Johnny!" Yuta begged Johnny and clung onto his arm in hopes that his grip could pressure the tall boy any further, "You have to do this!"

"Get off of me, you damn obese whale!" Johnny snapped at the other and fixed a few papers on a desk, "It's not as easy as just taking his name off the ballot when it's this late! I have to go over this with the principle, committee, Taeil – "

"Who gives a flying about his name anyway!? Just take it off! No one will notice anyway!"

"This committee isn't a dictatorship, it's a democracy!" Johnny snaps back at the other, "If you aren't willing to meet halfway, then just quit asking."

"Johnny," Yuta spoke calmly now and set Johnny back down on his seat, "You know I love you, right?"

Johnny rolled his eyes and threw Yuta off him again – who was latching himself on him again like a koala on a bamboo tree, "Johnny~!!!! Just do me this one favor, please! My LIFE depends on this! Please, please, please!!!"

"Why are you so obsessed with this, anyway?!" Johnny groaned, "It's not like Hansol has a chance to win Homecoming King anyway."

"That's what you think," Yuta spoke quietly, "But word is going around saying the students are getting together to vote for him and humiliate him! As the president, will you just let this happen?"

Johnny frowned. He had been hearing that going around, but he didn't think it would spread so much that Yuta was begging him to take his name off of the ballot. For whatever reason he cared so much about it.

"... Fine," Johnny muttered, "But we need a new name to replace him."

"Me," Yuta smiled arrogantly.

"Someone that actually has a chance," Johnny rolled his eyes and then suddenly brightened up, "Wait… I'm a damn genius!"

"You're putting my name in it?!"

Johnny scoffed, "Hell no!"

Yuta peaked at the name he was writing down and shook his head, "Are you trying to get him to hate you?!"

Johnny smirked and shook his head, "He'll be head over heels for me after this."

Yuta glanced back down at the new name that replaced Ji Hansol. He couldn't help but smirk as well, because the thought of Johnny getting thrown out like ing trash was a beautiful image in his head. But also, the less sadistic side of him smiled of the thought of the first ever two prom kings in their high school’s history.

Moon Taeil.

 

 

 

A week went by since his mini mental breakdown and Ten wished he hadn't expected so much from Taeyong. It seemed more than ever that Taeyong was distancing himself from him again, but for none of the reasons like before. He still greeted Ten, still smiled at him, and still hugged him goodbye. But he still counted down the days, still refused to speak about Homecoming with him even though it was this weekend, and never met his eyes. They only had two days left before they'll stop being stuck here during lunch. It was his only chance to turn the tables, give him a taste of his own medicine, to get answers and leave him with questions.

The library had nothing to fix any more so the two sat on the floor and scrolled through their phones. Occasionally, Ten would find a funny meme and show it to Taeyong, but that was as much communication they were getting as of late. He wanted to ask Taeyong so many things, tell him so many things, but he didn't know why suddenly he was so shy to even ask him how his day was going. He was so painfully aware of his ever-so growing crush on this that the thought of him had him blushing beet red and the of a joke with his friends. Mark was helping him so much with conversation starters, but what he thought was the issue was the least of it. They could talk about anything. It just depended on whether either of them had the gut to spark it.

"Taeyong..." Ten's voice was soft unlike it's usual echo loud voice, "Can we talk?"

"About what?" Taeyong spoke, not looking away from his phone.

"Things. Lots of things."

"Sure," Taeyong responded bluntly, "Ask away."

Ten bit his lip and sighed, "Can you put your phone down so you at least look like you're listening to me."

"I am," Taeyong said without putting his phone down. After a pause, he straightened himself out and put his phone down, "Go on."

"Thanks," Ten smiled, "How was your day today?"

"Uh... Fine, I guess."

"What did you do for your classes?"

"... Tests. Notes. Yeah, basically that..."

"I had a test too," Ten groaned at the memory of it, "I totally flopped that . Math is my worse subject. Why the do I need to know all these stupid symbols and formulas that won't help me for in the future? I'm so over it."

Taeyong nodded his head in agreement.

"Ah - sorry, I rambled on. Anyway, how is application process going? Seeing the struggle Johnny and Taeil going through... Holy . I never expected it to be that much. I mean I knew it was a lot – but seeing it, it's a lot more tedious than it looks. Did I just use the word tedious, non-sarcastically? Gross. Anyway, speaking about Taeil, that kid is going places. I saw his transcript and I almost died just by seeing all the rigorous classes he's taking. If Johnny ends up dating him for long term, he's set himself a real good sugar daddy. Not that it matters – just that Taeil is going to make bank no matter what he does. I never expected us to get along so well, but he's really ing funny and – I started rambling again... Sorry..."

Taeyong smiled and shook his head, "It's fine. I prefer listening than talking anyway."

"Yeah but I’m annoying. I don't want to hear myself talking. I want to hear you talking and get to know you more."

"O-Oh, really?" Taeyong blushed, "Then, uh... What did you ask again?"

"I... Don't remember," Ten struggled to remember and started laughing at how dumb he was, "Well, last thing I remember is Taeil. Do you talk to him?"

"Sometimes," Taeyong shrugs his shoulder, "We have a few classes together."

"You take the same classes as him?!" Ten gawks, "Are you some damn undercover baby genius??"

Taeyong snorts, "Not even close. I'm just average."

"What are your grades right now?"

"... All A's and one B, I think?"

"How is that average? Are you kidding? I'm in danger of failing two classes! And that's not including the classes I'm failing now."

"Well, maybe get off your phone and study – "

"Oh shut up, don't act like you study," Ten rolls his eyes, "I'm just so lazy and hate doing homework."

Ten slid down and laid on the floor with his limbs spread out, "I wish I was naturally smart..."

"No one is naturally smart," Taeyong laid down beside him and Ten glanced over, blushing at how close he was to him, "Taeil's going to be successful because he put all his time and effort into studying."

"And no social life," Ten corrected him, "But you have good grades and don't study. How annoying. You're cute and effortlessly smart. I hate people like you."

"I'm cute...?"

"The cutest, most handsomest, most beautiful piece of flesh I have ever seen."

Taeyong nudged him and scoffed, "Stop exaggerating."

"But I'm not?" Ten whined, "I'm telling the truth. Didn't you tell me you were going to take my word?"

"Yeah, but you're too much," Taeyong laughed.

"I know I'm extra but it's just the truth," Ten giggled as he moved several inches closer to Taeyong. Then suddenly, like word vomit, his impatience blurted out, "Why have you been avoiding me?"

"I have?"

"Don't play dumb," Ten leaned on his arm to get a good look at Taeyong, "You know damn well you have. Why?"

Taeyong stayed silent.

"I thought things were getting better for us..." Ten mumbled, "But every time we take a step, we take seven steps back. It's annoying. I want you to tell me what's bothering you or at least explain stuff to me. It’s real ty to be left in the dark like this."

"There’s nothing to tell so just drop it," Taeyong’s tone was cold, one that Ten hadn’t heard in months.

Ten sat up and furrowed his brows, "Are you getting mad at me?"

"I'm getting irritated that you just don't seem to understand," Taeyong sat up as well, "If it’s such a bother to you, why do you bother taking a step forward? So you can be disappointed in me? I don’t understand why I need to tell you anything when nothing is bothering me."

"I'm not forcing you to tell me anything," Ten raises his voice, "All I’m asking is for your effort in your half promises that you'll work with me on whatever relationship we have and quit leading me on. You think I enjoy looking desperate in front of you? I don't, but I'm not going to sit and be silent about it."

"Ten, quiet down," Taeyong mumbled as he began hearing mumbling from the other people in the library, "Don't take it personal. I'm sorry, it's just... I'm in a confusing position right now, and I didn't mean to take it out on you. I'm the problem, not you."

Ten calmed down and relaxed the best he could, although he was still heated and truthfully, wanted to smack the out of Taeyong so he can wake the up and quit playing games. But instead he patted Taeyong's back, "I'm sorry for going off too. I know... Things might be rough for you. I'm just really impatient, you already know that. I just want one answer. Are you serious about this?"

Taeyong stayed silent for a moment, his fingertips playing with the ends of his cuffed trousers. He couldn't understand why he was hesitating, or why his body was failing to move and do anything to not get Ten upset. What was up with him?

Before he could speak or move, Ten simply nodded and began to sit up, "I understand."

"T-Ten, wait – " Taeyong jumped up and pulled Ten back, "I didn't mean – Don't go – "

"Taeyong," Ten looked at him in the eyes, "I'm sorry, but... If you're unsure at this point, why keep going at this and waste your time?"

"Ten," Taeyong gripped tighter onto his wrist, "I know this is selfish of me... But I need you beside me."

"W-What?"

"I know it's a lot to ask," Taeyong pulled Ten closer to him, "And it's unfair, but... I just need you now. Please."

"Why are you so difficult?" Ten hung his head low as he felt his eyes begin to water, "You're so, so difficult."

Taeyong pulled him into an embrace, "You don't deserve any of this, I know. But right now, it feels like you're all I have."

Ten's hand gripped onto the back of Taeyong and he nodded his head, "I'll always be here, Taeyong. Just... Don't leave me either."

Taeyong shook his head as he snuggled his head into the crook of his neck, "I wouldn't even dream of it. I finally have you."

Ten nodded his head and felt a tear drop down his cheek, "Yeah, you do..."

But why doesn’t it feel like it.

 

 

 

Ten seemed to have his own personal, gloomy cloud over his head the rest of the day. His friends eyed him concernedly as they were walking home, the sidewalk empty from students because they had waited for Doyoung to finish practice, noticing how the Thai boy didn't even acknowledge his favorite food truck that comes rarely at the school was here and walked right past it. His friends walked behind him, trying their best to figure out what was wrong with their usual, annoying loud friend.

"Maybe he's sick?"

"He'd be complaining nonstop if he was," Doyoung shook his head, "Can't be that he has to take a mean either. This is something new."

Johnny glanced at his friend, catching him just on time before he stepped right between ongoing traffic.

"Ten, what the hell is wrong with you?!" Johnny snapped at the other.

Ten stayed silent, blinking once before almost seemingly waking up from a virtual reality. He glanced around and finally noticed the tight grip Johnny had on his arm and shook him off. Then before realizing it himself, his friends started to surround him and get it out of him as to why he was crying.

"I'm crying?" He asks as his hand goes up to his cheek, "Oh wow, would you look at that? I'm actually crying. This is amazing. Seriously."

"Ten... Tell us what's wrong," Doyoung looked at Ten with sincere concern.

"Nothing is wrong with me," Ten laughed, "I can't cry? Hoes get sad for dumb too. It's nothing. A-Anyways, where's Yuta? I forgot to get my textbook from him and – "

His voice is cut off when he recognizes the back of someone's head walking past him. He turns his head to look and he's right – it's Taeyong. He didn't even notice him, he bets. No. He did. He just ignored him. Why was he doing this to himself? He wasn't a toy Taeyong could pick up when he wanted to play with, then throw away when he was bored of him. But he couldn't bring himself to split himself from him either.

"Is it Taeyong?" Doyoung whispers to Ten.

Ten breaks down even further and hugs Doyoung, his sobs getting louder after each hiccup. He can't see with his face buried into Doyoung's chest but Jaehyun notices. Taeyong turns around from the cross light and sees Doyoung caressing Ten, soothing his back and combing through his hair like a gentle mother would. Jaehyun notices the spiteful look on his face and how his fists tighten ever so lightly.

"I'll be back," Jaehyun says.

"Wait," Johnny catches up with Jaehyun, "I'm going with you."

"Johnny... I think it's bes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter