CH. III

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

"I-I didn't mean it like that..." Doyoung mumbles as he turns away from Jaehyun and pours himself a glass of milk.

"Oh..."

Doyoung could hear his disappointment and feels guilty, but not too guilty. Just a fair amount.

"I figured," Jaehyun laughed dryly, "Well, sleep soon okay?"

"You too." Doyoung says, without sparing him another glance. He had enough of Jaehyun for a night.

"Good night," Jaehyun says as he takes the first few steps out the kitchen.

Doyoung sighs. Maybe he actually hasn't had enough of him. He knows he would regret doing what he's about to do, but the amount of guilt turned out to be more than just 'fair.'

Doyoung calls out to Jaehyun, "Hey, do you want milk?"

Jaehyun spins around on his feet a millisecond after Doyoung finished the last syllable and nods, sliding over to Doyoung as if he knew Doyoung was about to ask. He pours Jaehyun a glass of milk and hands it to him, their fingers slightly touching sending mini electric shocks through Jaehyun's body. Doyoung seemed to have felt it too because his fingers twitched away and he awkwardly averted his eyes down to the floor. Jaehyun jumped on the counter top to take a seat, patting beside him for Doyoung to take a seat as well and he obliged. 

"I always have a hard time falling asleep again," Jaehyun laughs softly as he sips his milk.

Doyoung doesn't know what to say that the words slip out again, "... I know."

Doyoung sips his glass of milk to stop himself from speaking again because his vocal cords are clearly betraying him at the moment. Jaehyun watches Doyoung's Adam apple move up and down, helplessly biting his lip and clearing his throat awkwardly as he forces his eyes off of him. He feels himself get hotter by the second and the room get stuffy. He tries his best to cool himself down by chugging the rest of the cold cup of milk.

Doyoung raises an eyebrow as he watches from the corner of his eyes the milk disappear in seconds in Jaehyun's cup. He casually sips his own, not up for it to throw it back up by drinking it too quickly like Jaehyun was.

"Doyoung..." Jaehyun's voice is low and smooth breaking the long moment of silence. He hesitantly asks, "Are you uncomfortable right now?"

Doyoung shakes his head and lies so he doesn't seem weak, "Not at all."

Jaehyun nods his head. He doesn't buy it even for one second. He knows he's the reason he's struggling to sleep, and why they are both sitting on the counter drinking milk that is probably already expired because Johnny never clears out the fridge like his parents tell him to.

"I am," Jaehyun nervously laughs in attempts to soften the tense air, but he sees the way Doyoung's eyes are shaking and trying to find a safe place to stare at, "E-Er, because I'm tired and sweaty, not because of you, of course..."

Doyoung nods his head, biting his lip as he stares into the abyss, his expression clear from any sort of emotion. Jaehyun unconsciously squeezes his fists tight watching him. He needs a break and looks away from Doyoung, before he does anything radical and ridiculous. He doesn't understand how Doyoung can effortlessly look good always.

"The milk is good, huh?" Jaehyun tries to initiate a conversation again.

"I guess..." Doyoung mumbles. In truthfulness, the milk was a little thick and smelly with a bitter aftertaste.

"Not really..." Jaehyun's confidence begins to dwindle down again. It was so awkward between them, but what did he expect? Still, boy Jaehyun didn't know how to take a hint.

"Are you cold?"

Doyoung shrugs, "Kinda."

Jaehyun scoots over to Doyoung, casually swinging an arm around the other in attempts to have his body heat radiate onto him and an excuse to touch him again. Doyoung furrows his eyebrows when he feels Jaehyun's heavy arm go around his shoulder and scoots away.

"N-No, Jaehyun."

"Aren't you cold though?"

"I'm fine."

"But you're cold, let me just-"

Jaehyun reaches for Doyoung again and Doyoung smacks his hand away from him, "No. I said I was fine."

Jaehyun raises his arm in defense, "Okay, okay... You're fine."

"Yes, I am."

"You're fine."

"Yes."

There's a short pause between them before Jaehyun presses his buttons again, "Are you sure though? I can – "

Doyoung sighs and cuts him off, "Jaehyun. No. I said I was fine."

"Alright... My bad."

Doyoung just takes another deep breath to cool himself down. He wasn't easy like his little groupies. He had audacity and high expectations. Jaehyun was the complete opposite. How could he ever take him and his fake 'crush' on him seriously?

The room was silent again, with an even bigger gap between them. Jaehyun was surprised Doyoung hadn't gotten up and walked away like he expected him to. He can't even count how many times the older boy has rejected him in just one day, or shockingly yet, in just hours. Jaehyun's overbearing confidence has been squashed to nearly humble, but of course he's still a boy. He was going to keep trying, continuing to convince himself that Doyoung was only in the stage of denial before he will fall into his arms.

"You still snore softly," Jaehyun says with a small chuckle, "I thought you did something to fix that?"

Doyoung looks up from the ground when Jaehyun's voice rings in his ears again and can't help but look over to the source of the voice, "I still do?"

"Heh. Yeah, you do. It's gotten a lot softer now though, so whatever you're doing it's working." Jaehyun laughs.

"Honestly, I had forgotten I even had that problem," Doyoung says, chuckling softly to himself until the flood of nostalgic feels hit him.

Jaehyun smiled and his feet swung around as his stomach twist and turned, his face unable to conceal the radiating happiness coming from him. Doyoung couldn't remember his own snoring struggle, but somehow he remembered of Jaehyun's sensitivity. It made him even fall for him even more, it was hard to believe that he didn't love him as much as a human can possibly withhold for someone before.

"You're surprisingly light too, have you been eating well?" Jaehyun asks, finally looking up at Doyoung again.

Doyoung furrows his eyebrows as he thinks deeply over what kind of strange question he asked. Then it came together like a putting the final piece of a puzzle and seeing the complete image.

"Wait... Did you – "

"You don't mind right?" Jaehyun's words were quick and short, it took a while for Doyoung to clearly understand what he said.

"I... Guess not?" Doyoung mumbles. Jaehyun carried him inside? What kind of gorilla strength did this kid have that he seemed to forget he possessed?

"I couldn't just leave you there, y'know?"

"Of course..." Doyoung mumbled, thinking back to how the other two boys were still left in the car.

Jaehyun laughs softly, "Just like old times, am I right?"

Doyoung shakes his head. It wasn't like old times. Anything but the old times. And as if those simple four words triggered Doyoung's somewhat chill demeanor and was pressed back to his bitter, cold persona towards Jaehyun. He decided that he had enough of Jaehyun, that he really, really had enough of him. Memories replayed in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter