CH. XVIII

YOUTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuta remembers the time his mother told him, his weaknesses will be the reason why he will never succeed in life. She told him he's too inferior. He'd never be good enough. He tries his hardest to never be looked down upon, but when it came to people such as Taeyong, who effortlessly had control, it pissed him the hell off. That's why he could never not be in a y mood when Taeyong is around, or even mentioned. Just like his friends, Taeyong's traits were a compilation of all the ones he wished he had.

"Mark," Yuta can overhear Taeyong talking to the first year – his voice drastically different than how he's used to hearing it, "Do you mind stepping away so I could talk to him?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure," Mark stutters like the innocent child he looks like, glancing back at Yuta almost with pitiful eyes, "I'm gonna go watch the game. Text me when you're... Done."

Mark was hesitant to say 'done.' He wasn't sure if there was anything to finish between them anytime soon. He knew nothing good was going to come out between the both of them. Taeyong's told him like a nagging mother about her son's friends that Yuta was no good to be around. Apparently the guy always reeked like energy drinks and sweat and never washed his hands correctly after taking a piss. Mark laughed when Taeyong told him that, but the straight face the elder had told him that it wasn't such a small digression in his eyes.

Mark walked past by Yuta – paying attention to how he smells, only to be disappointed that he didn't really smell like anything. So he didn't reek of the sea or bootleg Chanel cologne. He was sort of glad that Yuta didn't have either. Maybe Taeyong just had super sensitive senses.

When Mark is a feet away, Yuta sighs, "What do you want, Lee Taeyong?"

Yuta is feigning the fact that he's absolutely terrified right now. He simply couldn't understand Taeyong and his strange habits. It wasn't just with Ten that he was odd with – although he seemed to be extra odd around him – but with everyone Yuta knew. He just didn't know why in particular Taeyong had to be such a drag with him, when with others such as Mark, he's so... Nice?

Or maybe he does know why, because he's no saint either, but pinning the blame on the other was a lot less burdensome.

"You know why I pulled you away," Taeyong says. Yuta always envied how the other could speak so strongly, without his voice ever wavering. After meeting Hansol, he didn't know how to keep a straight face or lie anymore.

"No, I don't," Yuta sighs again and relaxes his muscles, seeing how much it bothers Taeyong he continues to do so, "If I did, I wouldn't have asked. But I can make a guess. Is it Busan?"

Oh how much he hated how the nickname rolled off his tongue so fluently. It always reminded him that he was still so ignorant. He could never be brave enough for Hansol. He couldn't give himself up for him no matter how much he boasted himself – and the nickname just makes his heart hurt even more about it.

Taeyong nods, "I know you did something. Tell me what you did, right now. What the hell did you do to Hansol?"

Yuta hated hearing Taeyong say his real name. It was like a punch in the throat. His words would suddenly get stuck and he can't defend himself. He sure did want to give back a punch in the throat to Taeyong right now though. He elongated and emphasized his name just to make sure Yuta heard his name correctly. As if his name doesn't fill his head every moment he has to spare.

"I didn't do anything," Yuta tries his best to lie, but he certainly got worse at it than usual that Taeyong can tell immediately. He doesn't lie afterwards, "I didn't lay a finger on him. I did nothing. Shouldn't you be looking for the guys that actually did it instead of wasting your time on me?"

He was partly honest. He didn't hurt Hansol physically, but sure as hell he knew he hurt him mentally. Hansol was too forgiving to him that he knew he hurt him. When a person forgave you quickly, they were desperate. Insincere. His forgiveness didn't exactly settle with Yuta well either, but he didn't want to lose Hansol so quick. He was being selfish again, something that he wished Hansol could fix rather than his ability to lie.

"Of course you wouldn't hit him," Taeyong scoffs, "But you hurt him, Yuta. I sure as hell know you did. Tell me what you did to him."

"I did nothing," Yuta snaps. Having Taeyong trying to get the truth out of him ing hurt him. He felt all types of negative emotions that shouldn't be mixed with each other. "If you're so close to him, why not ask him yourself?"

"I did," Taeyong says, "But he's just as bad of a liar as you are."

Yuta looks away from Taeyong. He couldn't bare the overwhelming flood of guilt piling over him. Being confronted was the worst, but by Taeyong made it absolutely unbearable. "I did nothing... Other than be there, and do nothing. That's what I will admit about."

Taeyong steps closer to Yuta and with a hushed tone says, "I hope the guilt kills you, Yuta."

With that, he walks past Yuta to look for Mark. He grits his teeth and lets out a frustrated groan. He hated the mind games Taeyong knew how to play. Of course, the guilt was killing him. That ty dare that he's pressured to complete, the fact that he can't stick up for him, nor can he say admit it to himself that he's falling for him is destroying him from the insides. No wonder Ten couldn't bare the guy either despite being so far up his . Taeyong was unexpectedly manipulative mentally. Yuta just wanted to kick and punch everything.

So he went to look for Ten.

As Yuta predicted, Ten was third wheeling. Sitting right between the two of them, rambling on and on about whatever nonsense went down with him and Taeyong. He wasn't in the mood to hear any more about that good looking . He quickly walked over and snapped at Ten (and Johnny as well, for being such an oblivious dumb nut),

"Stop third wheeling, stupid !"

"Yuta!" Ten smiles – totally ignoring what he just said – and motions Taeil to scoot over so Yuta can sit between them and make the two even more separate. Yuta groans and pulls Ten up and smacks the back of his head.

"Did you hear me? I said," Yuta starts punching Ten's arms like a mad man, "Stop! Third! Wheeling!"

Ten cries out and tries to fight back, but only falls back down on the bleachers and hurdles into a ball to protect his precious face. He just had Taeyong's lips on them and he didn't want Yuta's disgusting bacteria to taint Taeyong's holiness left on his skin.

"What the hell?!" Ten snaps at the other as he finally gets the other to stop.

Yuta cools himself down by catching his breath. Damn, that felt great. He collapsed besides Ten and rubbed his shoulder, completely shutting out the younger's complaints and curse words. It was good to have a small friend like Ten around all the time. They made easy punch bags, of course, if you weren't Taeyong.

"What's your problem?" Ten snaps at Yuta, giving him a big swat behind his head as well.

"You – " Yuta stops when he sees Doyoung and Jaehyun walking towards them together.

"What the hell?" Yuta ignores Ten temporarily and leans over to Taeil and Johnny, "Are you seeing this?"

Johnny smirks, "Yeah, I did that."

"You, huh?" Yuta's vocabulary is just as shaken up as his head right now, "What happened while we were gone? Doyoung was giving him the icy cold face the whole car ride here."

"Taeil can explain the first part," Johnny smiles at Taeil, it being one of the most disgustingly adorable thing his eyes ever laid on.

Taeil seemed to be caught daydreaming because he flinched a bit and shook his head, "Wait, what?"

"Hurry and tell me what happened before they come!"

"Um, well, uh," Taeil surely couldn't handle pressure, "Jaehyun just offered me his jacket and showed me how warm he is. Doyoung just got jealous or something – oh god, they're getting closer – and they, um, fought for a bit and..."

Before Johnny could get a chance to explain his part, the two arrived with an instant ramen cup in hand. Yuta had to admit, looking at the cup in their hands made him really hungry.

"Do you guys wanna go?" Yuta randomly asks, watching as Doyoung and Jaehyun take a seat besides each other – a row above them alone. "This game ing and I'm not in the mood. Or, better yet, Ten. Why don't we go back to Johnny's car?"

"That sounds kinda ," Ten giggles, "But okay. I have lots to tell you about."

"Are you guys sure?" Johnny asks, "It isn't even finished yet."

Yuta sighs, "Johnny, to be quite honest, I hate being a third wheel. And I hate it even more to be a fifth wheel now. Plus, I'm just ing pissed right now."

"Point valid," Johnny shrugs, "We'll catch up with you guys after the game. Maybe not, if we start losing."

As they watched the two foreigners walk down, Taeil suddenly grasps Johnny's arm. Johnny glances over at the other with wide eyes, wondering what the hell was wrong with him.

"Ah – sorry," Taeil lets go of Johnny quickly, "I just... Nevermind."

Johnny frowns and coils his arm around Taeil, pulling him closer, "You can't just leave me hanging like that, Taeil. I hate that."

"I forgot what I was going to say," Taeil lies.

Johnny rolls his eyes, letting it slide. They sit in silence again, their eyes following the ball, until the younger of the pair sighs and stretches out his limbs. "This game is kinda boring. What are you doing after the game?"

"Going home."

"Okay no ," Johnny laughs, "I mean like when you get home."

"Go to sleep."

"What?" Johnny furrows his eyebrows, "It's Friday. And you're going to sleep after this?"

"I mean," Taeil shrugs, "After the game, I'm treating you. So that's that. But afterwards, I'm just going to sleep."

"Oh yeah," Johnny smirks and bumps his shoulders with the elder, "You remembered~"

"Of course I did," Taeil mumbles, "I keep my word and come on time."

"Wow, I never knew you could be so petty."

Taeil glares at him and bumps his shoulders with him, scooting away from him. Johnny whines and scoots back closer to him – much closer than before, and then asks him, "Hey, Taeil. This may be a weird question but..."

Johnny glances behind at Doyoung and Jaehyun, who unlike them, were stiff and awkward and avoiding each other's eyes. He glances at Jaehyun, then looks back at Taeil. Johnny didn't mind staring at Taeil while talking, or the fact that their shoulders are bumped right close to each other. But right now, staring at Taeil felt uneasy. He couldn't help but second glance at Jaehyun, and this time the younger noticed and smiled at him. God damn, Jaehyun is handsome as hell. Of course, even to Taeil, he's handsome. He didn't know why that made him jealous.

"What's your ideal type?" Johnny randomly blurts out when he turns back to Taeil.

"Ideal type?" Taeil repeats, his eyebrows furrowing as he doesn't understand why Johnny would even ask a question like that.

"Yeah, like... What do you look for in a person?"

"I don't know..." Taeil mumbles, "I don't have an answer to that."

"Come on," Johnny rolls his eyes, "Of course you do. We all do."

"I don't know!" Taeil repeats, "Someone who's considerate? Responsible? Maybe studies hard? I don't know. I... I don't know."

Johnny regretted asking that. Of course that's his type, Johnny thinks. He turned his head away and put his game back to the game. They were both freezing – Taeil even more so because he gave back Jaehyun's jacket, so they decided to improvise and act like penguins who hurdle together to keep warmth. However, Taeil was oblivious that no matter how much he tried to warm him up – Johnny was absolutely below zero in his heart at the moment.

Behind them seemed to be, if even possible, colder. Doyoung and Jaehyun had a freezing, awkward distance between each other. And their responses were short and just as awkward. Jaehyun really wanted to spark a conversation with the other, but it was nearly impossible. He had no idea what to talk about, especially when Johnny just exposed Doyoung to him. It was so hard not to bring it up to the other.

Truthfully, Jaehyun was getting ready to leave when Doyoung left him earlier. He suddenly felt like crying when he watched Doyoung walk away the umpteenth time. He beat himself the hell up for managing to screw up again, especially on such a special day. But after a few minutes – very, very long minutes of debating and even having Taeil trying to get him to stay – Johnny emerged back with Doyoung trailing behind him. Doyoung was quick to walk past and sit beside Taeil instead. Johnny sat beside Jaehyun and whispered to him everything Doyoung had said. He felt bad and could only imagine how betrayed Doyoung would feel if he found out. But hearing him talk about how sensitive Doyoung was almost addictive. He couldn't stop himself from listening. And what swarmed his head even more is what Johnny said. The possibility that, even after all these harsh years, Doyoung might still like him.

"Do you get football?" Jaehyun randomly asks Doyoung.

"Nope," Doyoung says, "You?"

"Kinda," Jaehyun punches himself mentally. He's been stressing him out to just say something to him and not let this rare opportunity go to waste that he's repeated the same question three times. He asked him when he got back, when they were in line, and now. Doyoung must be tired of him already, if not more.

"Are you staying over tonight?" Johnny turns at the two of them, looking over at Jaehyun even though he's unnecessarily angry at him.

Jaehyun first glances over at Doyoung, as if he needed confirmation first to speak.

"You mean like... Sleep over?"

"No ," Johnny snorts and looks over at Doyoung, "I know most definitely you are."

Jaehyun suddenly felt obligated to say no. Not that he wanted to – he sure as hell wanted to go if that meant he could stare at Doyoung's face for several more hours – but he couldn't be too greedy. He was getting good at this, being courteous over Doyoung.

"You should," Doyoung says to Jaehyun, "They like binge watching sci-fi movies. You like that that type of genre, don't you?"

"Uh, yeah," Jaehyun can't help but smile like an idiot, "Okay, I'll go."

Johnny smiles and turns around. Doyoung could hear Johnny beg Taeil to join. He wouldn't mind if Taeil came along as well. Taeil was fun to have around when you really let him loose. He could be unexpectedly dorky and funny, if you gave him the spotlight. It would be a change to have him around his friends who are just a bunch of tryhards all the time. No wonder Johnny really had a thing for h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter