P: 20

PromiseS

January 11, 7:30 AM

“Minseok-ah, I just called to remind you about the cake that you’ll pick up at my school. Don’t you dare be late,” Ye Na said over the phone. She called early in the morning to remind her brother about the cake she worked on that morning with her teacher and one of her friends in the university.

“I know, don’t worry about it. But did you even sleep? You got out late from the shooting last night. Did you sleep before going to the university?” Xiumin asked. He knows that Ye Na is very hardworking and she supports her for being such but he didn’t want his sister to overwork herself.

“Yeah, I slept, so don’t worry and just prepare for Kyungsoo-oppa’s birthday surprise this midnight.” Ye Na replied.

“Happy birthday, my dongsaeng! Always remember that I love you and I’m always here for you.” Xiumin said and Ye Na smiled.

“You don’t have to repeat what you said in Instagram,” she teased. She already saw what Xiumin posted in his Instagram and she shed a few tears upon seeing it.

“But thank you for saying it to me.” She added.

“Okay. Take care for today, then. Don’t forget that we’ll go out with Mom and Dad on Saturday,” he reminded before they hang up.

Ye Na was about to take a rest for a while since she only slept for two hours inside her car as she waited for the university to open. But her phone vibrated and it won’t stop.

When she unlocked it, she was surprised that her chat box together with EXO was filled with messages, all from the EXO members. They posted their pictures with her with their own messages. Ye Na enjoyed reading the messages but she had to prepare for the event she’ll attend so she wasn’t able to read them all.

She was in the bathroom when she received a call from her parents and other friends, including JB and the rest of GOT7 so all their messages went to voice message. When she was done fixing, she grabbed her phone and her bag before running outside her apartment. Her manger greeted her as he opened the door and she sat while catching her breath.

She opened her phone once again and saw that she missed a lot of calls and that she received a lot of voice messages. She opened her parent’s voicemail first.

“Happy birthday, Our beloved daughter! We are so blessed to have you and we hope that you will be happy in what you are achieving right now. Always remember that we always got your back so don’t hesitate on taking the risk. We will support you and love you no matter what. Please take care of yourself.” Her tears fell down as she exited the mail. She was touched by how supportive and loving her parents are to her. Then she opened another message.

“Ye Na-ah, it’s me- Jackson. Happy birthday to you! I hope you have a blast and I hope you enjoy this day. And I am sending you a lot of smiles and love to make you feel warm and loved. Things may not have worked out well between us in the past but I want you to know that I am rooting for you and I am praying for the best for you. Let’s have some coffee sometime together, okay? If it’s okay with you,” She nodded and exited the mail. She knew Jackson was sincere and she wanted to hang out with him some time too. She also want to conquer the awkward vibe between them. She just wanted them to be good friends.

“Ye Na! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday our Ye Na! Happy birthday to you!” The rest of the GOT7 members sang.

“Ye Na! We miss you! We hope we can hang out some time. We really believe in you and we wish for more successful dramas and movies for you. Stay healthy and take care always,” they greeted as another round of birthday song played.

Ye Na was already crying because of the touching messages she received.

She finished listening to all of them just before they arrived at the parking lot of the center.

“Welcome our Ye Na! And happy birthday to you!” The nurses and doctors greeted as the kids went near her and gave her a warm hug.

“Unnie! Is it really your birthday today? Why didn’t you tell us? We could have bought you some gifts,” Rajin said as Ye Na carried her.

“It’s okay, you don’t need to buy me a gift because I have one for each of you,” Ye Na announced and the kids cheered.

“But is it okay? We should be the one treating you,” Rajin commented again and Ye Na pinched her nose.

“Aigoo! Our Rajin is very mature now,” she teased as the kids pulled her to one of a seat they prepared for her.

Ye Na had no idea what was going on but when she finally sat down, the kids sang her the birthday song as they gave her roses and their individually made cards. The nurses asked the kids to do one so they can express their gratitude towards their Noona/Unnie.

Ye Na wasn’t aware that she was already crying, not until Daehan, one of the kids, a cancer patient, who became close to her, gave her a handkerchief.

After the kid’s performance, a familiar song played and JB and Jhia came out of the kitchen. They were holding a very huge cake and Ye Na was really surprised, she didn’t expect both of them to be there, especially Jhia. They sang the birthday song for another round and Ye Na didn’t even get tired of hearing it for so many times. When the song ended, Jhia and JB asked her to blow the candle as she wish. Ye Na closed her eyes, paused for a few seconds and blew the cake. The kids cheered as they took their own seats for the food. Ye Na’s manager asked Woosung University to do the catering and now, they are serving the food for the kids.

Ye Na, Jhia and JB looked after the kids as they enjoyed their meal, when they made sure that everyone is settled, Jhia asked Ye Na to go out and have a talk.

“Happy birthday, Chingu!” Jhia said as she shyly gave a paper bag to Ye Na.

“Gomawo, Ch-Chingu!” Ye Na said and took the gift.

“Ye Na-ah, I am really sorry for all the things I did in the past. I’m sorry if I hated and betrayed you. I was really blinded by jealousy that I didn’t realize I lost a good friend.” She croaked. Jhia tried to control her tears but it betrayed her as it flowed freely through her cheeks. Ye Na hugged her.

“It’s okay. I’ve forgiven you years ago and I can’t even feel mad at you. I understand how you feel. I am just glad that you are here and that I’m hugging my best friend once again,” she said as both of them cried in each other’s arms.

“I’ll go inside then. I think JB will have something to tell you too,” Jhia said after a few minutes of their dramatic reconciliation. Ye Na nodded as she watched Jhia enter the center and JB come out of the same door.

“Aigoo! Both of you are really emotional people.” JB teased when he saw Ye Na’s eyes.

“Here,” he said and handed her a bigger paper bag.

“It’s not really that special but I designed that myself.” He said and touched the back of his head.

“Thank you, JB.” She said and smiled at him as she took the paper bag.

“Anyway, how did you manage to reconcile with Jhia?”

“It just happened.” He answered and looked away. Ye Na smiled and hugged him.

“This is why I like you as my best friend,” she said and JB hugged her back, although he hesitated for a while.

“Ye Na, you’re really getting older but I hope we can still be friends until we reach the age that our skin gets wrinkled and our teeth gets plucked.”

“Aigoo! Of course, we’ll be like that,” Ye Na said as she pulled away from his hug.

“Let’s go. I still have to give my kids some special gifts.” Ye Na said and pulled JB inside the center.

---

“Chanyeol! Sehun! Make it fast, the teacher is already here. We have to carry the cake.” Xiumin ordered. Chanyeol and Sehun run faster and went inside the room. Their surprise visit at the university made a commotion and drew a lot of fans inside the university so they got stuck on the hallway.

They greeted the teacher as they proceeded near the table where the cake was placed. It was huge enough that it can cover half of their body. They thanked the teacher before they left.

Xiumin asked the fans politely to make way for them to walk through the hallway with the cake and the fans immediately abide. They were followed by the fans until they got inside the car and after giving out some signed photo cards, they went off.

“Hyung, Suho hyung said they’re already fixing the room for the surprise.” Sehun reported.

“Tell them not to make noise and not to get caught. And tell them we’ll be there in 30 minutes. Ask them if we need to buy something,” Xiumin instructed as he drove slowly to avoid the cake from getting ruined.

They decided to rent one of the rooms near the set where Ye Na and Kyungsoo will be filming since they don’t want to waste time if they would still travel back to the dorm just to eat.

All the gifts were already placed at the back and when Xiumin looked at the front mirror, he saw the reflection of the cake that Ye Na made for Kyungsoo and he remembered his conversation with Kyungsoo earlier that morning.

Flashback: 7:45 AM

“Oh, Kyungsoo-ah. Have you chosen what song to sing tonight?” Xiumin asked when he saw him at the kitchen.

“That’s what I wanted to talk about with you actually, hyung.” He began and Xiumin felt Kyungsoo’s seriousness.

“What is it?”

“Hyung, you told us once that if we ever feel something for Ye Na, we should consult you about it. Hyung, I wanted to consult you about my feelings for Ye Na. I know that I and Ye Na haven’t even known each other for so long but it took me a month to realize what kind of feeling I have for her. It took me one single smile to know her worth and it took me one single gaze to feel this way towards her. Hyung, I’ve come to love her and I realized I love her even more each day that I spend with her.” Xiumin was speechless with Kyungsoo’s revelation but he didn’t feel mad at all. He just felt scared and worried for his sister since love has come for her and she might get hurt once again.

“Hyung, I am telling you this now because I want to assure you that I will protect her and I won’t let her get hurt and I won’t let her shed tears. Hyung, if you would just allow, can I court Ye Na?” Kyungsoo asked and Xiumin was impressed at how gentlemanly Kyungsoo was. He told himself once that if one of s would end up with his sister, he wanted it to Kyungsoo or Yixing. And now that Kyungsoo has developed feelings for her and he also saw how his sister would look at Kyungsoo, he didn’t want to act like a wicked step mother or witch that would interrupt two people’s love.

“If you can show me that you can make my sister smile and if you can assure that you will not let her get hurt, then I will allow you. But once you involve her into something that would break her, you aren’t worthy to be with her,” He avowed.

“I promise hyung,” Kyungsoo agreed cheerfully.

“But what song will you be singing later. I have to make sure it is appropriate,” Xiumin changed the topic.

“Ye Na recommended this to me and she said she enjoy listening to it these days,” Kyungsoo began but hesitated to say it. Xiumin was waiting for the song and Kyungsoo had no choice but to tell him.

“Song for you, but not our song, It’s the version of TVXQ-sunbaenim.” He admitted.

“Ya! That is a song for a person who wants to confess his love. Do you want to die?” Xiumin scolded but Kyungsoo chuckled.

“Because I am confessing tonight hyung, I won’t waste my time anymore.” Kyungsoo blurted and Xiumin’s ears turned red.

“Ya! Do Kyungsoo!”

“I’m serious hyung. I hope you will allow me to do so.” Kyungsoo said and Xiumin sighed.

“Fine, but remember my conditions.” He agreed.

End of flashback

Xiumin wasn’t sure if he made the right decision to allow Kyungsoo to court his sister but he will trust him for now. He’d been working with Kyungsoo for years now and he knew how good Kyungsoo was and how big his heart was. He will trust him with his sister this time, if it will make her happy. He can’t deny the fact that he’s seen how differently she treated and looked at Kyungsoo when they were together. She had a different smile when she was with Kyungsoo and he figured that she is trying to deny her feelings for him.

---

11:00 PM

“Cut! Now we proceed to the next scene.” The director informed as they moved some of the cameras. He received EXO’s manager’s message saying that they are 5 minutes near the set. So he cued for the next move of the surprise. Kyungsoo looked at him and he gave him the signal by nodding.

“Action!” He shouted and an instrumental played.

Ye Na was taken aback. She memorized the script so well and she can’t remember any part of the scene concerning the instrumental so she looked at the director who was just looking at both of them. She looked at Kyungsoo for help but he started singing.

Be right by your side like this

My life we will walk together

All the time, forever

Kyungsoo looked at her directly in the eyes as he sent a message to her phone, the phone they were supposed to use in the next scene.

‘Just stay still and let’s enjoy the moment. Happy Birthday to the most special and beautiful girl in the world’ it read. Ye Na didn’t know what to do and Kyungsoo took her hand.

The thoughts I have decided in my heart

I will convey to you right now without hesitation

Heaped upon the both of us the good time of love

For the sake of continuing in the future

 

White wings swimming in the wind

Sending it to your chest song for you

Kyungsoo sent another message to Ye Na and the message read: ‘Do you like it?’ Ye Na nodded as Kyungsoo smiled to her reaction. Ye Na was aware that she was blushing but she didn’t mind it at all. She was drawn to Kyungsoo’s voice and her heart kept beating fast.

I’ll never let you go

Hey, stay by my side

Let’s count each passing season

Right by your side like this

my life we will walk together

All the time, forever

 

Kyungsoo tightened his grip on Ye Na’s hand and she can feel how warm it was. She felt like an electric shocked hut her and she didn’t know what to do.

 

There could be days when the wings are damaged

And times of a starless night sky

 

Meanwhile, the other EXO members arrived at the set. They were holding balloons and Xiumin was holding the cake. They were amused by the scene they are witnessing. Yixing, on the other hand, was so focused on Ye Na and her hand on Kyungsoo’s.

 

Today’s feelings will probably be remembered

As long as it’s the two of us, for sure dreams come true

 

 

To the far distance of the sky

For you until my voice reaches it

Let’s strum the wishes of tomorrow

Your smile from my heart

So shine because I swear to you

To protect it forever

 

Then Kyungsoo sent his last message for Ye Na. ‘I hope you liked it and I hope this simple gift completed your day. The others are here to greet you too. Happy birthday once again, Kim Ye Na.’

I’ll never let you go

Hey, stay by my side

Let’s count each passing seasons

Right by your side like this

My life we will walk together

All the time, forever

 

The staffs clapped and cheered. Ye Na was speechless but she wanted to thank Kyungsoo so much. She was about to open to speak when all the EXO Members sang their own version of happy birthday as they approached both of them. Chanyeol handed three balloons to Kyungsoo and all of them are already holding the initials “Happy birthday, our Ye Na” which is written in Hangul.

“You have to say your wish before blowing the candle.” Xiumin instructed and Ye Na closed her eyes. It was the second time she will be wishing that day. She never thought that they really prepared a surprise for her and that they would do such thing for her. She totally got tricked.

Soon as they sat down to chat with her and give their gifts to her, a food van came. They found out that it was from Ye Na’s fans club and that they were informed about her schedule so they sent some midnight snack for their idol and the whole staff of the drama.

11:55 PM

They were still talking to each other when Kyungsoo excused himself for the CR. Soon as he left, they organized Ye Na’s things inside her car. Then they took all the materials for Kyungsoo’s surprise. Chanyeol, Sehun, Chen and Xiumin carried the cake as Ye Na lit the candle. Baekhyun, Kai and Yixing held the tarpaulin for their greetings for Kyungsoo. Ye Na went to her car and took her gift.

Suho opened their V App and recorded everything. It was exactly 12:00 AM when Kyungsoo came back.

“Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday our Kyungie, Happy birthday to you.” They sang and their manager blew the party hat as the other staff made some bubbles.

“Wow! Thank you my brothers. I didn’t expect this.” He said as he approached them. They told him to make a wish before blowing the candle and he silently abide. They cheered when the candle was blown.

“You totally got tricked right?” Suho asked while he filmed Kyungsoo.

“Yeah. I really thought we only have to surprise Ye Na before the day ends. I never thought there’s another surprise for me. I am really thankful to you, and to our fans. Thank you for being part of this day for me. Good night everyone,” Kyungsoo waved and Suho filmed the other members with Ye Na before turning off the camera.

“It’s time to eat!” Chanyeol and Sehun cheered.

They proceeded to the room they rented and when they got in, Ye Na and Kyungsoo was mesmerized by the view. The candles are over the floor and some colored papers were taped towards the ceiling, each tip of the paper contained Ye Na and Kyungsoo’s picture separately. At the center, where the foods are placed is the tarpaulin against the wall. Ye Na’s photo was at the right side and Kyungsoo’s was at the left. At the center of the tarpaulin was the greetings “happy birthday Ye Na and Kyungsoo” plus the other member’s wacky faces.

Xiumin and Suho dragged Ye Na to their designated seats. They asked them what food they like and they served both of them. When everything was settled, Xiumin sat down with his sister as they enjoyed the food.

“So this is the reason why you asked me about the house near our set, huh?” Ye Na asked and Xiumin chuckled.

“Of course. You were completely tricked weren’t you?” Xiumin said and Ye Na nodded.

“I really thought you won’t do something for my birthday because I told you that I have a busy schedule today,” she admitted and Xiumin just messed her hair.

They were all chatting with each other but Yixing remained silent. Perhaps he is tired, s thought.

When they finished cleaning the place, they decided to sleep since they had an early shoot for a CF the next day. Ye Na went out to get some air for a while. She was full and she needed to take some walk. Yixing saw her and he was about to approach her but Kyungsoo was faster than him. He saw them proceed at the bench, he can hear them chatting.

“How was today?” Kyungsoo asked and Ye Na let out a small laugh.

“It was great. It was my first time and it is really memorable,” she smiled as she looked at the sky.

“The stars are glowing brightly. It was really a great day today,” she mumbled.

“Oppa, thank you for the serenade. I really enjoyed it,” Ye Na said as she looked at Kyungsoo who is currently looking at the sky.

“Ye Na…” he began as he returned his gaze to her. Ye Na suddenly felt tensed.

“Honestly, that song…I chose it over the song dream…because I wanted you to know about how I feel for you. I don’t know if I should be telling you this and if you feel fine with me telling you this, but I am confessing anyways.” He admitted, his eyes fixed to hers. Then he took her hand.

“Ye Na, I never thought I’ll feel this way for you. But I am also human and I don’t control my destiny. I can’t even tell my heart to stop beating fast when you are around or when you are looking at me. I can’t tell myself not to smile back when you smile at me. What I mean is, I was scared to fall in love with you because I might not be qualified or I might hurt you instead. But you know what my mind tells me, it says I have to fight for the thing I know is right. I have to stand for the feeling that I have. I am not speaking to you as Ken, your partner in the drama. I am talking to you as Kyungsoo, a person who came to love you through the times we’ve spent together. Ye Na, I really really have fallen for you.” Kyungsoo confessed and Ye Na felt her cheeks burn and her ears hot. She doesn’t know what to say since it was so sudden. And she wasn’t sure about her feelings for him.

“Oppa, honestly, I don’t know what to tell you. And I’m not sure of my feelings as well.” She admitted.

“You don’t have to give me an answer right away. I just wanted you to know because I don’t want that things will get awkward between us. I’ve already asked permission from Xiumin hyung and I will court you until you tell me to stop. You can reserve your answer until then,” Kyungsoo assured her and gave her his sweetest smile. Yixing, on the other hand, heard their conversation. He stood straight and turned away as he walked out of the place.