P: 1

PromiseS

Ye Na Kim's P.O.V

 

“Ye Na, we're going to be late! Turn that laptop off or I’m seriously gonna drag your down here! You can watch that later!” I heard my best friend impatiently calling from the living room. By now, I can picture her having red cheeks and red ears because of madness.

 

“Okay, I'm coming. Just wait a second.” I replied as I rushed to the door and wore my bracelet, the promise bracelet that he gave to me before he totally left.

 

“You're really a die-hard fan of him.” She mumbled but I understood every word she said.

 

“I wish I could tell you why but I can't,” I whispered as I sighed and walked past her.

 

“Saying something?” She asked with raised eyebrows.

 

“I said let's go since you don't want to be late and we're running late.” I lied and walked faster.

 

This is my everyday situation with my best friend. We are living at a dorm since both of our houses are too far from the school and I don't even want to take 5-rides just to get to school. It’s just too tiring.

 

Anyway, my best friend would always scold me for being so 'obsessed', as she called it, about him and their group. I really wish I could tell her my reasons but I was told never to mention or say it to any one even to the closest person in my life.

 

“I really wonder why you are that obsessed with them especially him. I mean you’re sacrificing your time… your most precious time on schooling, just to watch their performance,” She stated in a manner of fact tone. I was about to open my mouth to answer her but I saw a cab approaching and immediately raised my hand to take it.

 

We got in and made ourselves comfortable before I spoke for my own defense.

 

“Here we go again. I told you, the word 'obsessed' isn't applicable to me. And for the umpteenth time, their group is the best and I can relate to their song.” I tried to sound not so defensive to lessen her speculations about me having a great obsession.

 

“What about your boyfriend's group?” She's on it again.

 

“I do like them too! I swear I love them! It's just that I can't… I am loyal to the first group I ever liked. It’s not like it is a mortal sin to like them,” I countered.

 

“And for the umpteenth time, it's not him that I'm supporting, it's their maknae. Can’t you see how adorable their maknae is?” I added.

 

I know I’m being too defensive, I am being in denial but I still want to cover things up. It might complicate things if I might not be able to control my feelings and have a slip of the tongue.

 

“You're hiding something from me but I won't push it. I’ll wait for you to tell me on your own freewill.” She said as she put on her earphones.

 

I am guilty of not telling her the truth but I really can't tell her even though I really want to, just to lessen the burden I feel. However, I appreciate how she didn’t force me to tell her my secret. That’s why I love her as my best friend.

 

When we reached school, I quickly paid for our fare and we run towards the gate as quick as we could since its five minutes before the time.

 

When I entered my room, I searched for my special someone but I am disappointed that he isn’t around. I shrugged and sent him a text to check in.

 

When he didn’t reply, I kept my phone inside my pocket and listened to the lecture. For the past 4 hours of our 4 subjects respectively, we had a boring lecture and I almost dozed off.

 

Then the bell rang for lunch, everyone sighed in relief and raced outside the room.

 

As for me, I grabbed my earphones from my backpack, plugged it in my laptop and played their video.

However, the video hasn't yet started its intro when someone literally closed my laptop.

 

When I looked up to shout at whoever that was, I saw him.

 

“Jackson?”

 

“Yes, Ms. Ye Na Kim? Are you seriously going to keep this up? I mean you even plan on skipping your lunch just to watch that. What's with you, really?” he asked with irritation.

 

I opened my mouth for a retort but I saw his eye bags and reddish eyes so I didn’t push it. I don’t want to argue about this right now.

 

“Why did you stay up so late anyway? And you even skipped four classes today,” I asked and his irritation shifted to bothersome look. I made an eye contact with him but he looked away.

 

“Practice.” He simply stated and that did it. I fixed my things and put them inside my bag.

 

I know they will hold a concert in New Jersey next month and they needed to prepare for it but I don’t want him to stress himself in the process.

 

“Hey, I…sorry,” he managed to apologize as he held my hand. I looked at him directly in the eyes, this time he looked back. He was sad and tired and stressed and...hurt?

 

“Don’t. I mean, there’s nothing to be sorry. I understand your work but can’t you at least take care of yourself? You know I can’t even get near you because of our situation so I can’t look after you. When I said ‘yes’ to you, I only asked you to do me one thing and that is to take care of yourself, your health. What happened? Where is your ‘yes’? Where’s your promise?” I demanded as I tried to get away from his grasp. Instead of letting go, he pulled me into a hug and I can feel his breath on my neck. He rested his chin on my shoulders and I can hear his heavy breathing.

 

“I’m really tired right now and I just wanted to see you that’s why I came to school. I’m sorry for being irritant and venting out my stress to you. So please, can we just pretend this thing didn’t happen?” He pleaded in a soft voice.

 

"Okay,” I agreed and pulled away from his hug.

 

I admit that my emotions lead me to my sensitivity and I don’t want to argue with the person who loves me the most so I gave in.

 

“Let's go.” I told him as he held my hand to his.

 

“I love you,” he whispered and I replied same way.

 

As we went out of the room, I slowly distanced myself from him and let go of his hand. He looked at me in surprise but when he heard the noise, he totally understood why I acted that way.

 

Although we love each other and are dating, we can’t deny the fact that there will be haters to judge us. When Dispatch found out that Jackson is dating some common girl in his school, they were quick to reveal a picture of me and Jackson on the beach during one of our field trips.

 

Since the news broke out, JYP came to our defense and made it appear like I was just Jackson’s best friend and that he was dating Youngji, not me. So we started being careful around people. And although I was hurt with how things turned out, I didn’t say a thing. I didn’t want to complicate his life anymore.

 

“You mind joining my group for lunch?” He asked with hesitance, as if he was afraid I might not like the idea.

 

“Why not? I'd love to.” I answered with the sweetest smile I could show to erase the bad vibes around us.

 

We actually join his group for lunch back when things were still starting between us. But when everything became complicated, he isolated us from his group so that we can hide what’s going on and won’t drag the others from our issue.

 

I seriously missed those guys.

 

“Let's go then,” he cheered and I'm not sure if I misheard it but he sang that line.

 

Then my best friend registered in my mind, will she be there with JB? The last time I checked they made up and they’re still dating. Yes, dating and when I say dating it means they are officially and publicly dating. What can I say? Jhia Lim, my super gorgeous best friend, is a trainee at JYP Entertainment and it seemed that JB’s fans are very supportive of his love life and that they aren’t threatening like Jackson’s. Or maybe they like Jhia for JB because she will be debuting with a girl group soon and they really look good together.

 

And the last time we had lunch together, they didn’t join us. I wonder why. Maybe they’re avoiding the crowd, or didn’t just feel like joining.

 

“Hi there, Ye Na!” Or not. I'm actually seeing them with the group.

 

“Hi.” I greeted back as everyone waved 'hi' towards me and Jackson.

 

“Wah! My crush is here! I missed you, Ye Na-ya!” Jr. exclaimed. He extended his arms to hug me but Jackson was too quick to block him. When we heard some throats clearing, Jackson gave way for Jr. to give me a hug.

 

I tried not to look around because I am aware that all eyes are looking towards our table.

 

“I missed you, too.” I said and pulled away.

 

Jr. was still smiling at me when Jackson pulled me closer, not minding the people looking at us.

 

“Ah, I'm really jealous. I really wish I find a best friend whom I can be close with,” Jr. said as he roamed his eyes and smiled.

 

He is trying to cover us up again and I really hate it when they do that. They always cover things up for me and Jackson. I just feel bad for them.

 

“Whatever, let's just eat and order something.” Jackson suggested and pulled the chair for me.

 

“Anyway, where are the others?” Jackson asked Bambam since 3 of them are missing. Now that I can get a clear sight of everyone, they really looked sleepless and tired.

 

Seeing them that way breaks my heart. They haven’t rested even for a day since their comeback.

 

“Rushing some requirements,” Mark, who just came, interrupted and answered for BamBam. He spotted me and winked. I just smiled as an answer.

 

While we were having a good time eating and sharing stories, they brought out the topic about his group. And I fell silently awkward.

 

“Well, you know. My Ye Na loves them so much that I get jealous a lot. You see, she loves me but loves their group and not our group. Sometimes, even if we’re close with their group, I just want to ignore them because I am super jealous,” Jackson confessed jokingly.

 

“I wonder too, why she likes them better than you.” My best friend in the name of Jhia seconded.

 

“Wah! I'm more hurt. I feel like my heart is crashing,” said the best actor, Jr. and it somehow made the atmosphere lighter. I just chuckled at his acting.

 

“Are we that ugly?” asked Bambam with a little chuckle.

 

“Or we are not really your type?” asked JB.

 

“Why oh why?” Mark joined in.

 

“It's not that I don't like you or they look better than you. It's something else like I liked their group first before I met you. I do like your group. I can say every praises I know and it won't be enough but I'm staying loyal to their group. They are my first and you are my second.” I explained, trying to make them feel better and not to let them think I don't really like them because that's not true. I like GOT7 too.

 

“And I'm convinced.” Jr. said with a grin.

 

“Come on guys, let's not think negatively. She already explained, right?” He added to let everyone react after my explanation.

 

“Number two? But I'm number one when it comes to someone you really love, right?” Jackson asked with hopeful eyes.

 

“Should I say its Jr. now?” I joked and Jackson's reaction was priceless. He looked like a little kid who lost his most precious belonging and was about to cry.

 

Jr. became extra hyper and teased Jackson. And now that I realized, the people who are looking at us minutes ago returned to their normal conversations and didn’t mind us.

 

“Kidding, Jackson would always be number one unless he wants to be number two then that's fine with me.” I said with a slight chuckle when I made sure no one from our schoolmates was listening. Jr. pouted.

 

“No! Of course, I will be your number one. Forever.” Jackson said as the upper part of his body danced and his hands formed a heart shape.

 

“Ew, bro.” His groupmates reacted.

“Ah. Don't forget the word for that. It should be cheesy but cute.” He told them seriously but everyone just laughed and ignored his statement.

 

After that, they didn't bother bringing the topic about his group again. I feel a bit comfortable with it though, because if they were to continue, I might end up leaving the table just to avoid discussions about him and his group.