Chapter 9

Stand On My Own Two Feet

***

"What? You broke up again? It's the 2nd time this week!" Eunhyuk yelled at his friend beside him. Donghae just keep walking in silence. "You got some serious problems, dude. I'll take you to a shrink someday somehow." Said Eunhyuk, but still no words from Donghae. They were walking through the hallway when Donghae suddenly stopped in front of the bulletin board. He was looking at a particular poster. It was a bit weird to Eunhyuk because Donghae rarely take a glace at the bulletin board.

"Ah, that's the regional basketball championship. Our school made it to the final. The match is on this Saturday. Wanna come?" Asked Eunhyuk. He wasn't expecting Donghae to respond to him, but Donghae did. "You're coming?" Eunhyuk nodded. "Let's go together." That sentence struck like lightning to Eunhyuk. Lee Donghae had never ever attend a basketball game before.

***

"Okay, that's a wrap, everybody! Good luck for the final!" Coach Lee left after he had motivated the girls. The basketball practice had already ended, everyone was going home, so did Yuri. Yuri was about to approach Yoona to go home together, and suddenly she saw Yoona with someone else. It was Lee Donghae.

"Whoa, are they back together?" "I don't know, but they look like they are." Tiffany and Taeyeon were talking near Yuri, and Yuri heard all of it. Then Yuri felt numb. She then left the gym alone.

***

The final day had come. It was held at the Seoul National Basketball Hall. The hall was packed with people, mostly were high school students who came to root for their school's team. At 10.00 am sharp, the game started. The game was between SM Seoul High and JYP Daegu High. The game went tight, the score difference was only between 2 or 3 points. And on half time, JYP Daegu High was leading.

"Come on, girls, you can do it! Focus!" Coach Lee was on fire that day. So did everyone. "Come on, Yuri!" patted her back, she and Siwon came to support the team. Yuri smiled at her. Just when Yuri was about to walk towards the bench, Sooyoung blocked her. She moved to the left, Sooyoung blocked her too, she moved to the right, Sooyoung did the same. It annoyed and confused Yuri.

"Hey, don't be such an annoyance. Why are you doing this, miss?" Asked Yuri. Sooyoung didn't answer, and then she pushed Sooyoung out of her way, and saw Yoona and Donghae on the bench, they looked happy together. Sooyoung then quickly turned Yuri around. "That, is why." Yuri suddenly felt uncomfortable. Butterflies in her stomach seemed to grow a lot more. She felt tight on her chest. But she endured it all. The whistle was blown, the half time was over.

During the second set, Yuri's performance was really off. She didn't score any ball, she couldn't get off her guards, and she often lost the passes. Thank God her team mates were reliable, they managed to tie the score. Coach Lee suddenly asked for a time out. The game was nearly over.

"Yuri, what happened to you?" Asked Coach Lee. "I.... I was nervous, I couldn't focus." Coach Lee clapped his hand in front of Yuri's face to wake her up. "Put all of your feelings into the game, into the ball. Throw your nerve, anger, panic, anxiety, anything you name it into the ball. Got it? I can see pain in your eyes. Throw away those pain to the ring." Coach Lee's words were like knife to Yuri. Coach Lee was like a father for all the team members, he could read people's feelings and anything a father could do. Those words woke Yuri up. Then the game was on again.

The clock was ticking, Yuri had the ball now. She was guarded with 2 people, then she looked around the court, and looked around the entire hall. She found Yoona and Donghae on the bench, they looked worried. Yuri caught Donghae's gaze, then she closed her eyes. All she could hear was Donghae's words last time.

-Flashback-

"Have you ever think about me?!" Now it was Donghae's turn to scream. "Why should I?! You're no one!" Yuri replied to him. Donghae felt pain. But he knew, the pain he was bearing was nothing to hers. "Have you ever think about yourself?" He yelled, but his voice sounded so gently. Yuri was taken aback. And then she ran away.

-End of flashback-

Yuri opened her eyes, her gaze was locked to the ring, she heard the clock ticking inside her head. One more shot, and victory. For my team, for my coach, for my school, for my friends, for the supporters, and for me. Yuri dribbled the ball swiftly, she managed to escape from her guards and strive to the ring. She shot the final 3 points shot. She made it. The crowds was jumping in joy, the clock stopped, and it was victory for SM Seoul High. Her team members were running around hugging each other, they hugged Yuri too. Yuri then looked around to the crowd, smiling, then she looked to the bench, she found Donghae there, standing in front of the bench, alone. With all the courage she had, she smiled to him. She whispered, "Thank you."

 

 

 

**********it's coming to an end ^^; ! I'll make 2 or so chapters then it will be the finale, how's the story so far? Do you like it? :D**********