Chapter 15

Stand On My Own Two Feet

***

Yoona got off from Eunhyuk's car. She waved him goodbye, and she entered her house. Everyone in her house had slept already, of course, it was midnight. Yoona slowly walked to her room, trying not to make any noises. She entered her room, and sat on the bed. She looked at a night table beside her bed. She found an old photo album on it. She took the album and open it page by page. Happy faces of her friends and she. Mostly Yuri's and hers. Yuri and Yoona were best friends since God knows when. They were that close. Both Yoona and Yuri got no sisters, so they took each other like sisters. As Yoona flipped through the album, a photo suddenly fell to her lap. There were Donghae and her in the photo. At the back of the photo, was written the day the photo was taken. It was a year ago. Under the date, there was a handwritten note, it said "you look cute together, yoong! <3" -Yuri. And the irony of that note, left Yoona in tears.

***

The next few days felt like hell for Yuri. Yoona totally ignored her. Everytime Yuri approached her, she would runaway. Yuri was sitting at the canteen when Sooyoung tapped her shoulder. "Hey, wake up sleeping beauty. You look like a zombie: lifeless." Yuri didn't respond her. Sooyoung sighed and sat in front of her. "Tell me what happened, or I'll make you do." Sooyoung's eyes were blazing as if it could shoot laser beams. 

"It was Yoona. She ignored me these days. I don't even know what had I done to her. I'm sure I didn't do anything." Yuri said it with her head down. She certainly was lifeless. "I think I know why." Yuri lifted her head, curious. Then Sooyoung pointed to someone behind Yuri. There stood Lee Donghae. Smiling like a prince. "What about me?" He asked. Yuri sighed again. She buried her face on her hands. "I think you two should talk alone, I'll be going. Bye!" Sooyoung stood up and left. Donghae sat on the chair Sooyoung was sitting before. He frowned.

"What happened?" Yuri didn't answer. Donghae sat there looking at her. Moments passed and Yuri didn't lifted her head. "If you don't want to talk about it, okay, it's up to you." Yuri suddenly lifted her head. She smiled, and she left him alone. Donghae sighed. Suddenly someone tapped his shoulder. It was Sooyoung.

"Did she tell you?" Donghae shook his head. "Follow me." Donghae followed Sooyoung. They walked past the hallway, classes, even the park. They took several stairs, and finally Sooyoung stopped. In front of them was a big white door. "Do you know where are we?" Sooyoung asked. "Top of the building, I guess." Sooyoung nodded. "Smart boy. Hey, remember this: don't mention me. Ever. Good luck!" They Sooyoung went downstairs. Donghae was quiet confused at her action. He took a look at the white door. Actually he had never come to this place. He slowly opened the door. The blue bright sky and the white clouds greeted him. He could feel the warm breeze blew his hair. He found Yuri sitting in the corner of the rooftop. Donghae sat beside her. She didn't even turned her head. 

"She told you, didn't she?" Asked Yuri suddenly. Donghae gulped. "Who?" Yuri chuckled. "You're such a bad liar Lee Donghae." Then they both fell silent. They clearly heard the bell rang but they didn't get up from their position. Donghae's phone suddenly rang. It was eunhyuk. He ignored the call. "Why didn't you answer it?" Yuri asked. Donghae shook his head. "Go back to class, your friends might be looking for you." Donghae didn't move a bit. He let out a big sigh. "I know she ignored you." Yuri was shocked when she heard that. She turned her head to face him. Just when she was about to open , Donghae put his index fingers on Yuri's lips. "Listen to me, will you?" He looked into her eyes deeply. Yuri couldn't help but listen.

"You two were always together at school, but this week, you two were apart. I saw you tried to talk to her, but she ignored you. At first you keep trying to talk to her, but I think you've given up now." Yuri fell silent. She felt as if a stone had hit her head. "I think you're too busy feeling ignored by her, that you didn't realize, I hadn't been talking to you either." Donghae continued. That sentence struck Yuri. Yuri just realized that she had been thinking only about Yoona these days, that she didn't think about others. "I'm not that stupid, Yul. I know she ignored you because of me. Maybe she had been thinking about us, and it hurt her. That's why I stayed away from you these days." Donghae then patted Yuri's head. "I'm sorry. Sorry for ruining your friendship, sorry for making your life harder, sorry for making your life miserable, sorry... For everything." Donghae cupped Yuri's forhead, and left.

The sound of Donghae's footsteps as he walked away was different. Yuri felt emptiness on her heart. She couldn't fight the tears on her eyes. "Why can't I have them both? My best friend, and... My first love?"