Chapter 4

Stand On My Own Two Feet

 

***
 
At school, Donghae and his friends, including and Eunyhuk were resting in the school's park. They were chatting and everything, but Donghae didn't seem to keep up with them. He just sat there looking around the park. Even sometimes he sighed. Eunhyuk noticed his best friend's unusual behaviour, so he sat next to him.
 
"What's up? Something's bothering you?" Asked Eunhyuk, while handing a can of orange juice to Donghae. 
 
"Well, since you've asked. You know the girl Kwon Yuri, right?" Eunhyuk nodded while sipping his drink. "How do you know her? You seem to know her for a long time. And how come didn't you tell me that you know her?" Blunt Donghae just blurted everything on his mind. Eunhyuk lifted his shoulders.
 
"She was my neighbor. She was the only kid my age in that neighborhood so we play around often. Even though we went on different school, but were close friends. Until I moved out. Fortunately, she goes to this school too. That's all. Why are you so curious? It's not like you want to date her." Said Eunhyuk lazily. Donghae had been paying attention to the story. He nodded lightly.
 
"She was your neighbor? That's why her neighborhood seemed so familiar." Eunhyuk turned his face to Donghae. He was surprised. 
 
"You went to her house?! How come! Why! How did you know her address! Oh dear Lord, Lee Donghae. You gotta get your feet on the ground." Eunhyuk rose his voice bit by bit. Donghae just sat there with his head down. He didn't even have any answer to those questions.
 
"I was just curious. I know her name and reputation since the first year, but I got curious. There's something in her eyes that makes me...."
 
"What? Fall in love? Forget it, Lee Donghae." Eunhyuk turned his face away from Donghae. Donghae hadn't lifted his head.
 
"Nah, I don't wanna use those words anymore. It's starting to lose its meaning in my life. I was just curious, everybody says she's different from the others, I wanna know what the difference is."
 
"And...? Is she?" Then Donghae nodded. He chuckled so softly no one even heard it. 
 
***
 
Yoona and Yuri were walking across the hallway to the gym. They had a basketball practice today. Even though there was no matches nor championships to attend this month, but they still did their weekly practice. They did their routines as good as they usually did. The practice ended at 6.00 pm. All of them were getting ready to go. 
 
"Yoona, aren't you going home?" Asked Yuri to Yoona who was looking at her phone. Yoona shook her head lightly.
 
"Oppa is going to pick me up... Ah! There he is! Oppa!" Yuri saw Donghae was just entering the gym. He waved at Yoona who was running towards him, and hugged her tightly. He kissed Yoona on her forehead. But then Yoona went out the gym, and Donghae walked toward Yuri who was standing in the middle of the court. He waved at her. Yuri stood still, not waving back.
 
"Hey miss, I was waving at you." Donghae stood in front of her. Yuri still didn't say anything.
 
"Why are you here? Yoona just left. Aren't going to drive her home?" Asked Yuri. Frowning. Donghae put his index finger between her eyebrows. "Don't frown too much, young lady. Or you'll get wrinkles." Then he walked away, taking a ball near the ring and dribbled it. Yuri's eyes followed every single movement Donghae did. "What are you doing?!" Yuri asked in confusion. Then Donghae walked to her with the ball in his hands.
 
"Let's play a game! Whoever scores the first point, gotta get what he/she wants." What on earth? Mind Yuri. It was too late to say no. Donghae grabbed Yuri's bag and put it on the bench. He dribbled around swiftly. Then they both stood in the middle of the court. Game started. Donghae threw the ball to the air. Yuri managed to get the ball in her posession. Just when she was about to strive to the ring, Donghae grabbed the ball. It was so fast Yuri didn't even notice his movement. Donghae ran like a wind and dunk the ball into the ring. Yuri just stood there in amazement. The next thing she knew, she was clapping her hands.
 
"You gotta practice more, young lady." Said Donghae, approaching Yuri. "Now I've lost. What do you want? Don't tell me to do your homeworks." Warned Yuri. Donghae laughed.
 
"I'm not as lazy as you think. Let's see, what do I want?" The smile on his face slowly faded. He stared at Yuri for a brief moment. Not knowing what should he say. Yuri stood there waiting for words to come through Donghae's mouth.
 
"See? You don't even know what you want! Now just go out there and drive Yoona home, okay? I don't want to see her sick tomorrow because you let her wait outside." Yuri dragged Donghae to the exit door. And before they knew it, they were out from the gym. Yoona was already sitting in the car. Yuri felt uneasy when Yoona saw them together.
 
"She's waiting! Go! Go! Go!" Yuri literally kicked Donghae's , and then she left.
 
***
 
The next day, Yuri had just arrived at school when she saw Sooyoung was running towards her hurriedly. She wondered what happened.
 
"What's with the energy? Something happened?" Asked Yuri curiously. Sooyoung's eyes got widened. She caught a breath then started talking in real high tones. "Yoona and Donghae broke up last night!" and the next thing Yuri knew was that she walked in such a fast pace looking for Donghae.
 
Yuri finally found Donghae and his friends in school's cafetaria. Without any hesitation, Yuri walked towards them. Whoever looked into her eyes will know that she was angry. Donghae knew that she was coming but he didn't even look at her. 
 
"I know why you're here." Said Donghae abruptly without turning his face to her. Yuri just stood there pretending she never heards that before. "I've been friends with Yoona for years, and I've always known that she would only dump her boyfriend if that guy is a serious mess." Then Donghae looked at her. She was really angry. He didn't know what hold her anger from exploding until this time.
 
"The problem is. She didn't dump me. I did." And that just made Yuri even more angry. Her eyes got widened. She was speechless for a brief moment. She was controlling her anger. And then she started to talk in a softer tone. "How did she take it?" Donghae shook his head. Then Yuri walked away. Donghae looked down again.
 
"Seriously, man. You don't mess up with her unless you want to die." Said Eunhyuk, patting Donghae's back. Donghae let out a big sigh and closed his eyes. "I don't know why but I feel relieved now. I can deal with her later." Then Donghae walked away from his friends.
 
***
 
Yuri found Yoona in the changing room. She looked awful. Her eyes were swollen and her hair was a mess. Yuri hugged her tightly then Yoona started crying, again. "I promise you I will make that bastard suffer forever." Said Yuri. Yoona didn't say anything. She was just crying.
 
Suddenly they heard footsteps coming towards them. It was Sooyoung, and his boyfriend, Siwon. He was the student body president and the quarterback. Every girl's ideal guy. "Uhm, Yuri, if you want beat up that fish, he's outside." Said Sooyoung. Yuri then loosened her hug and went straight out from the changing room. Sooyoung was now comforting Yoona.
 
Yuri stood in the middle of the court, and she saw Donghae under the ring. She approached him quickly. She was just about to blurt out her anger when Donghae put his finger in front of Yuri's lips. Then he started to talk. "This is why people shouldn't judge someone right away. Everything happens for a reason, and I have reasons too. Before you slap me, I think you should listen to me first."
 
"Okay. Talk." Yuri sounded impatient. Donghae inhaled.
 
"I like someone else." I like you