Chapter 6

Stand On My Own Two Feet

 

"Hey, get off me, idiot." Said Yuri, pinching Donghae's arms around her. Then she walked away. Donghae grabbed her wrist, suddenly she screamed in pain. They were surprised. Donghae grabbed her wrist again, this time more gently, and looked at it carefully. There were blisters all over her palm and wrist. Yuri quickly pulled her hand and hid it in her pocket, then walked away. Donghae followed her and called her for many times, but she didn't answer, she even walked faster. When they arrived at the hallway, it was packed with peiople, and Donghae lost her.
 
***
 
For the next days, Yuri and Donghae didn't talk to each other. When they passed each other in the hallway, they just awkwardly looked at each other. Now, it had been more than a week.
 
One day, Donghae was walking around the park with Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk were telling him about the movie he had just watched. Donghae didn't really listen to him, but he paid attention the the people around him. He looked carefully at them. Then he spotted someone. It was Yuri. She was walking with Sooyoung. She looked happy. Said Donghae.
 
"Yuri-ah!" Eunhyuk called Yuri from a far. Yuri glaced at them and waved. Yuri and Sooyoung ran towards Eunhyuk and Donghae. "Eunhyuk! How are you?" Asked Yuri happily. They had a fun chit chat, but Donghae's mind wasn't on this place. He thought about Yuri, what had she done in this past week, what did she think about him, and all.
 
"Ah, Sooyoung! You're boyfriend is the president of the student body, right? I have a favor to ask him, could you accompany me to see him? I don't know where he is now, the student body's office was empty." Sooyoung nodded. Eunhyuk and Sooyoung walked away, leaving Yuri and Donghae alone. Dead silence. None of them try to break the ice. They just stood there awkwardly.  After some moments, Donghae then grabbed Yuri's wrist. There weren't as many blisters as before, but it still hadn't fully healed yet. "Does it still hurt?" Yuri shook her head. "Don't lie. I've had those before. It took a long time to make the pain go away." Yuri didn't say anything. Donghae let out a sigh. "Next time, when you're injured, you gotta tell someone, or else you might die. Okay?" Yuri still stood in silence. 
 
***
 
The last school bell finally rang. Yuri, as usual, went to her locker to pack her things there. Just when she was about to reach her bag on the top of her locker, someone handed out a hand and took it. Yuri turned around to see who it was. It was Lee Donghae.
 
"You have an injured hand there, miss. I'll help you with this. Now, let's go home." Said Donghae, carrying Yuri's bag in his hand.  Yuri followed him to the parking lot. "Hey, I gotta go home. Give it back to me." But Donghae didn't listen. He kept walking until they reached the bicycle parking. Donghae unlocked a bike and sat on it. He tapped the passenger seat behind him, telling Yuri to sit there. 
 
"No. I have practice today." Donghae smiled. He reached into his pocket and handed Yuri a letter. Yuri opened it and read it carefully. It was a permission letter from Coach Lee for Yuri to take some rests because of her injuries. Yuri hit Donghae with the letter. "What have you done? Why didn't you tell me this? You should've told me first!" Yelled Yuri.
 
"Hey! Stop it, it's annoying. You wouldn't ever let me do that if I told you first. Now that you're free, sit there. I'll take you home." Yuri pouted, and she sat on the bike. Donghae rode the back off from their school. The ride was a peaceful one, with wind softly blowing their faces. Donghae then suddenly stopped his bike at the park near Yuri's house.
 
"I had a feeling that you wouldn't just take me home. I really have to go now, my mom will be waiting for me." Said Yuri, glancing at her watch. Donghae smirked. "Believe it or not, miss. I've called your mother that you'll be home a bit late today." Yuri's jaw dropped. She didn't believe this guy in front of him. "What?! You called my mother?! How come that you can be such an impolite person?" Said Yuri, half yelling. Donghae laughed at her reaction. He dragged Yuri to the park. Then he sat down on the grass. He looked up to the sky. Yuri sat beside him.
 
"It's been a long time, isn't it?" Asked Donghae. He smiled at Yuri. Yuri smiled back at him. "Actually, yes. It's been a long time." 
 
"Wanna know something?" Asked Donghae. Yuri turned her head, smiling. She looked curious. "I  miss you." Yuri was surprised. Shocked, actually. She didn't know what to say. "I miss your presence. I miss you yelling at me, pinching me, asking me questions, I miss to see you frowning." Said Donghae. He looked up at the blue sky. The park that day was so peaceful. Not many people were there. Yuri looked down, didn't know what to say to him. Donghae then continued. "And on that week we were away, I realized something." He paused. "I like you." 
 
***
Donghae dropped her home at noon. Yuri kept silent all the way to her house. After she bid him goodbye, Yuri ran to her room. She threw her body on the bed. And before she knew it, she felt tears coming from her eyes. Just after a teardrop, she quickly swept it away. She reached for her phone and punched Sooyoung's number.
 
"Hey, Yuri! What's up?" Answered Sooyoung. Yuri didn't say anything.
 
"Yuri! Are you alive?" Asked Sooyoung, half yelling. "Of course I am! What are you doing now?" Answered Yuri. "Eating ice cream. Siwon was here but he has just left. What's up? I have a feeling something happened." Yuri laughed. Then she didn't say anything else.
 
"HELLOOOOOO? ANYBODY HOMEEEEEE?" Yelled Sooyoung. Yuri was shocked. "Hey! Stop it!" Sooyoung laughed. "Seriously, what happened?" Sooyoung's voice sounded worried this time. Yuri let out a sigh, then she started to talk. "Lee Donghae said he likes me." One sentence from Yuri's mouth, then a scream from Sooyoung. 
 
"Really? When? How?" Sooyoung sounded excited. "That's not important right now! I don't know what to do now...." Yuri looked down and burried her face in her hand. "It's not that complicated, do you like him?" Yuri shook her head. "No..." There was a doubt in her voice. 
 
"Are you sure?" Yuri nodded. "Really sure?" She nodded again. "Do you not like him because you don't like him or because he is Yoona's ex?" Asked Sooyoung. Yuri didn't answer.