Chapter 5

Stand On My Own Two Feet

***

That evening, rain was pouring hard. Yuri just finished her basketball practice. Yoona didn't join them today, she went back home as soon as school finished. Yuri didn't bring any umbrellas so she waited in the gym. Suddenly she heard someone's footsteps. Being very aware, she turned her head quickly. It was Lee Donghae. She rolled her eyes, fed up of him already.

"Why are you here? You should've been in front of Yoona's gate and begging for her to go back to you." Asked Yuri sarcastically, not hoping for an answer. Donghae didn't smile or anything, his expression was very stiff.

"Before you kill me someday somehow, can we be friends? With Yoona, and your other friends, with my friends and everything?" Donghae's voice shook. He looked like he was on the verge of crying. Yuri wanted to snap at him but she couldn't looking at him like that. Yuri softened a bit.

"I have no idea what's on your head right now. But that sounded like a joke. And I don't take my friends nor your friends as jokes."    Yuri crossed her arms in front of her. She just realized that Donghae's eyes had been on her since the they were talking. She felt a bit awkward. 

"I know I've done something stupid. Heart breaks aren't made to be healed. I know I was wrong, but it's the best decision I could make. I don't wanna hurt her." I don't wanna hurt you. Then he took some steps closer to Yuri. His hands were in his pockets. Suddenly he felt butterflies in his stomach. His heart started to beat faster. "I'm sorry." 

Yuri let out a bigh sigh. "You don't have to apologize to me, you should apologize to Yoona." She looked deep into his eyes. She found bitterness and sadness in there. So she patted his head.

"She will forgive you, it may take time, but she will." Then she walked away. But Donghae held her wrist. She turned back in surprise.

"It's raining outside. You can't go home now." Yuri didn't say anything. Then Donghae handed her an umbrella. "Take this. I know you don't want to ride with me. So take this, and walk home safely." Yuri awkwardly take the umbrella, then she walked out.

Yuri's house was near the school, so she didn't have to walk far, only 7 minutes from school in rainy days. She walked calmly, somehow feeling safe even when it's getting darker. The thing she didn't know was, Donghae was slowly following her in his car. Making sure she was safe and sound.

***

At home, Yuri took a shower, changed her clothes, then threw her body to the bed. She was so tired. She was about to sleep when her mother opened the door. 

"Yuri, is your friend coming here?" Asked her mother from the door. Yuri shook her head without looking up. But Yuri's mother didn't move a bit. "Well, you might have a stalker, then." Yuri suddenly stood up.

"I don't have any, it must be a robber! Call the police!" Yuri freaked out. "Hey! Who will rob a house in this hour? People are getting home, and our lights still on! Take a look from your window, you will see the car." Yuri then took a peek from her window. Her room was situated on the 2nd floor. She saw a silver car. Somehow she was familiar with the car. Then someone crossed her mind.

Yuri ran downstairs and got out from the house. The rain had already stopped. She approached the car and knocked the driver's window with full force, not minding that it would break or something.

"Open up you idiot!" Donghae slowly rolled down the window. He didn't turn his head to face Yuri. His expression was so stiff. Yuri let out a big sigh. Not knowing what to do with him anymore.

"This is serious, why are you here? It's dark already, your parents are looking for you." Said Yuri in a soft tone, somehow she sounded worried. Donghae didn't respond. "Should I call your friends to pick you up? You don't look healthy to drive back home." Just when she was about to punch Eunhyuk's number, Donghae held her wrist. Yuri was surprised. His hand was so hot. Yuri touched Donghae's forehead, and she was right. He had a fever. No wonder he looked pale. In an instance Yuri opened the door and helped Donghae to walk inside the house.

Yuri brought Donghae to her brother's bedroom downstairs. Yuri's brother was currently studying oversea, so no one used that room at the moment. Yuri's mother helped Yuri to take care of Donghae. Yuri was so worried because he didn't say anything, as if he fainted with his eyes opened. Yuri's mother made him a porridge and brought some medicines, and then left the room. Yuri sat beside Donghae on the bed. Then Donghae turned his head to Yuri.

"Hey, I'm sorry." His voice was so fragile.

"Yeah, you should." Answered Yuri sarcastically. But Donghae saw that she was worried. He smiled at her. "It's late already, I can take care of myself. Go to bed." Said Donghae. Yuri got up and sat on the chair beside the bed. 

"I won't take any risk that your condition will get worse over night. I'll stay here. I'm okay, I can sleep wherever I want."  As the night went on, they slept peacefully.

***

When morning came, Yuri was woken up by the vibration of her phone. It was Yoona. Yuri got up in an instance and left the bedroom. 

"Hello....?" She answered with a sleepy voice. On the contrary, Yoona sounded fired up. "Yah! Where are you? Aren't you coming to school? We have a practice today!" Yuri was confused for a moment then she glanced at the clock on the wall. 8.55. "I'm late!" She hung up and ran upstairs to get ready.

Just after few minutes, Yuri ran back downstairs in her untidy uniform and her bag on her hand. While she was running downstairs, she saw Donghae opened the bedroom door. He still looked sleepy. Yuri then quickly pressed the back of her hand to his forehead to check his temperature. It was still warm. 

"You have to rest well today. Don't go to school yet, I'll tell your teachers. Food is in the kitchen. My mom is working until noon, and my father, yeah he's out of town. So make yourself at home. Bye!" Then Yuri flew out the door leaving Donghae bewildered.

***

Today was the players selection for The National Basketball Training Camp. Being a participant in that camp would give many benefits for a player. They got to know one  another, learned things, and had experiences. Yuri had never participated in that camp before, because only seniors could participate, and now she was a senior. So she really hoped that she would be chosen. She had trained and played with so much effort to get chosen for the camp.

Yuri finally arrived at they gym. She apologized to Coach Lee and started to practice. She practiced even harder today. After the practice ended, now it was time to reveal which players were going to participate in the camp. Coach Lee shouted the name one by one.

"Park Min Young! Shin Se Kyung! Song Ji Hyo! Hwang Stephanie! Park Bom! ................." Yuri listened carefully. No. Nothing. She didn't hear anything. She failed. She was disappointed. But it wasn't Yuri if she couldn't hide her feelings. She approached her mates and congratulated them with smiles on her face. After that, everyone started to pack and get ready to go out from the gym, but not Yuri. She sat on the bench. Yoona came to her.

"Hey, how are you doing?" Yoona was worried. But Yuri just smiled at her. Making sure she wasn't worried anymore. "I'm fine. I'm just tired, I was in a big rush this morning. Don't worry. Ah, about the camp. It's nothing, everything happens for a reason right? Fighting!" Yoona stared at her for a moment. Then hugged her. The bell suddenly rang. "Ah, I have a test! I'm sorry Yuri, I gotta go. Be fine, ok?" Yoona ran out from the gym.

Yuri took a ball and shot some three points. She scored it all. She didn't mind her empty stomach and her aching palm, she kept shooting and shooting. Then someone called her name.

"Yuri." She turned around to see who was it. It was Lee Donghae. "You didn't listen to me, did you? You should get some rests. Instead of coming here. You should've gone home." Said Yuri, approaching him in a worry. She was frowning.

"Are you ok?" Asked Donghae, not listening to what Yuri just said. Yuri nodded. "Of course, why? It's not the first time I practice shooting." She answered. Donghae looked at her, and it was his turn to frown. He shook his head. Then she continued to shoot three points. Donghae followed her steps.

He stood behind her. He hugged her from behind. Not too tight, just enough to make her feel safe. "I know you're not."