Chapter 16

Stand On My Own Two Feet

***

"Hey buddy. Still alive?" asked Eunhyuk while flicking Donghae's forehead. He was walking but no one was sure that his soul was still there. Donghae just nodded. They were in Eunhyuk's house. Eunhyuk was playing video games but Donghae just sat there and do nothing. It had been hours. "Tsk, Lee Donghae, you've fallen to your knees, huh?" Donghae looked up suddenly. 

"What do you mean?" Eunhyuk just laughed. "This is the first time you fall in love, right? A genuine love. With sincerity. You love her." Donghae raised his eyebrows. He looked pale. "But you can't be with her. She's your ex's best friend. What a cruel world you're living there, my friend." Eunhyuk patted Donghae's shoulder. Donghae looked down, he didn't say anything. It's been a month since he spoke to Yuri on the rooftop. And since then, they never talked again. If they bumped to each other, they would act like strangers. It hurts so much for Donghae, but he knew Yuri will be hurt even more if they talked again.

"By the way, I spoke to Yoona yesterday." That sentence jolted Donghae's soul. His eyes dilated. Eunhyuk was superbly scared by his friend's reaction. "What did she say? What did you ask?" Donghae's curiosity bombarded Eunhyuk. "She didn't say much. But she asked you to meet her at Hendel And Gretel on Saturday, 12pm sharp." Donghae frowned. Why that place? Why Saturday? Why lunch? But it was not time for questions.

***

The next day, Donghae arrived at Hendel And Gretel on 12pm sharp. As he entered the cafe, he saw Yoona on table number 7. She waved to him. Donghae approached that table, his face was so stiff. But Yoona looked so happy and cheerful, as if nothing had happened. It made Donghae confused. 

"Come on, take a sit. I've ordered your favorite lunch, it will be here in a moment." Yoona said, smiling widely. Donghae couldn't help but smile. He surely missed those smiles. Few minutes passed without a single word. None of them say anything. Even when their food came, no one touched theirs. Donghae felt so awkward, he decided to break the ice.

"So, what's up? How are you?" He tried his best to smile. Yoona smiled back. "Good. Been better, but I'm fine. How about you?" Donghae chuckled. He looked into Yoona's eyes. "You're pretty, but you'll never be a good actress." Yoona looked down, her cover had been blown up. Tears started to stream down her face. "Why did you do this?" She asked in her tears. A question Donghae didn't even know that exists. 

"I don't know. I can't help it. I love her." He knew being honest like this will break her to the weakest point, but he knew lying would make things worse. "I'm sorry for hurting you. If I can turn everything around, I will. If I didn't walk through the hallway that day, if I didn't take the newspaper that day, none of this will happen. No one will be hurt. We will still..." And Yoona cut his speech. Her tears were already gone. "Do you really love her?" Donghae was shocked with the question. He raised his eyebrows, but Yoona demanded an answer. "Yes, or no. Do you really love her with you entire body and soul, life and death?" Donghae gulped. "Yes, I do." Then Yoona smiled

With all the courage she had left, she told everything about Yuri. "Yuri is my best friend, no, she is my sister. My other half. Since we were kids, she was always there to protect me. If I was disturbed by other kids, she will run after them and do anything to make them suffer. And If I cry, she will be the one who wipe my tears. She fixes every mess I've made. She stands up for me. But who stands up for her? Herself. She stands on her own two feet for her entire life. Never in my life I've seen her cry. Never in my life I've seen her whine. That's why, Lee Donghae. If you are to be there by her side, promise me: stand up for her. Protect her, with your entire life, like she has done to me all this time."

Donghae just sat there speechless. "Do it for me, for you, for her, for us." then Yoona stood up and left.

***

On Monday, Donghae came to school very early. He headed straight to the gym. And just like he thought, he found Yuri in the middle of the court, practicing alone. He walked towards her, and like before, Yuri noticed his presence. She stopped her practice and glared at Donghae. Donghae smiled.

"Good morning!" Yuri stood still. Donghae was in front of her now. "Wanna practice together? You know I'm good at this, huh?" Donghae tried to grab the ball on Yuri's hand, but Yuri slammed it to the ground just before Donghae touched it. Then she slapped him in his face. It was like a wake up call for both of them. Yuri's face reddened, and she walked away. Donghae grabbed her wrist tightly, and as he saw her face, it was covered in tears.

Yuri's eyes were still glaring at Donghae, but those tears couldn't lie. Yuri tried to get off from Donghae's grip, but she couldn't. Instead, Donghae pulled her closer and hugged her tightly.

"I'm sorry Kwon Yuri...."

"I love you...."

***