Chapter 2

Stand On My Own Two Feet

***
It was lunch time and the school's cafetaria was full packed of people. Fortunately, Donghae could rely on his friends to get the best table there was. Donghae approached them swiftly, with the tabloid he was reading this morning in his hand. His best friend, Lee Hyukjae, or better known as Eunhyuk gave him a fist to fist.

"Hey! What's that? You're reading the tabloid? Since when?!" Eunhyuk then grabbed the tabloid from Donghae's arm, then he smirked at Donghae. Bewildered, Donghae sat on a chair and raised his eyebrow. Before Eunhyuk could talk some more, Donghae took the tabloid right away and cut him.

"Yah, I know what are you gonna say, but it's nothing like that. She dropped it this morning, and I haven't got a chance to give this back. Beside, she's Yoona's friend. I won't do anything like that, you stupid." But his long explanation didn't seem to convince Eunhyuk. He stood there in front of Donghae with a million dollar smirk and a meaningful eye stare. Being Eunhyuk's best friend since the 6th grade, Donghae knew what that look meant. Whatever he did won't ever changed Eunhyuk's mind. Then Donghae gave up with his explanation. He gave the tabloid back to Eunhyuk.

"Ha, we hadn't just met yesterday, buddy. I know what you mean, but look at this girl. She's the epitome of coolness. She's a fire, man!" Donghae raised his eyebrows, again, not believing what Eunhyuk just said. 

"Wait a minute, you like this girl? This superwoman? How come! You can be beaten by her in any seconds! You're just weak, my friend. She has to meet an athlete to be her boyfriend." Eunhyuk stepped back.

"What?! A..." Then Donghae immediately cut him. "What's your p.e score last semester? D? F? What? Come on, you need to get your feet on the ground." Donghae stood up and leave Eunhyuk on their table. "Where are you going?!" Eunhyuk yelled at Donghae. But Donghae didn't answer, he just waved without turning his back.

 

***

At the school gym

"Yuri-ah! I'm so tired I wanna die." Sooyoung threw her body on the court as soon as the game ended. They were playing volleyball for the class p.e lesson. Yuri laughed at her and dragged her to the changing room, but then she saw someone standing near the changing room. It was Lee Donghae.

"Excuse me? Ah, if you're looking for Yoona, she's not here right now. She's in the art class." Yuri abruptly talked to him. Donghae looked surprised by the fact that Yuri noticed and willing to talk to him.

"Ah, yeah I know. Thank you." Then silence between them. They just exchanged smiles and gazes. Sooyoung who was standing beside Yuri couldn't help it anymore, so she ran away to the changing room, making the situation there more awkward. 

"So, if you're not here because of Yoona, why are you here? I don't mean to offend you, but really this is the first time I see you in the gym. You don't have to answer of you don't want to." Then Donghae laughed out loud. Yuri just stood there watching him laughing like there's no tomorrow. She stepped back a bit in confusion. What were in her words that made him crazy like this. Then after a few moments, the laughter faded. Donghae cleared his throat.

"Oh please, Kwon Yuri. You're like the strongest girl in school yet you have such worry in your mind. Don't mind it, I won't be offended that easy. I want to return this to you, you forgot to pick this up when we bumped this morning. Cool story you have there, by the way. No wonder many girls look up to you." Yuri just stood there, again, her face turned pink. She was left speechless of Donghae's words. Suddenly, someone patted Donghae's shoulder from the back.

"Oh, hey Yoona. What are you doing here?" Donghae took Yoona's hand and held it.

"I'm the one who should ask you that. You don't take p.e class nor sports club. I'm here to see Yuri. What are you doing here?" Donghae didn't answer immediately. He even stuttered at the first words.

"I.... I was looking for you. I thought you left the art class already and you'll come here to see your friends. It turns out I'm right!" Wait. Did he just lie? Thought Yuri. But Yoona didn't mind it, she smiled and they walked out together. Yuri smirked at their back. Boys.

***

Finally the school final bell had rung. The students were elated to collect their things and got out from school immediately. Not like Yuri, she collected her things slowly then went to her locker to organize her things there. Sooyoung had to go early because she had an appointment with her friend, which was a boy, and Yuri thought, would eventually become her boyfriend sooner or later. So Yuri walked to her locker alone. To her surprise, she saw someone was standing in front of her locker. It was him, again. Even worse, he was with his friends now.

"Oh, there she is. Kwon Yuri!" Eunhyuk shouted Yuri's name. And all the students in the hallway turned to Yuri, just like this morning. Yuri, somehow got used to it, walked calmly towards Eunhyuk.

"Hello, Eunhyuk oppa! Long time no see! How are you?" Yuri started a friendly chit chat with Eunhyuk. Donghae's eyes were widened, not believiing his sight now.

"I'm perfectly fine! By the way, congratulations for the win yesterday! Sorry I couldn't come to support the team." Eunhyuk and Yuri were chatting happily as if they were close friends. Donghae couldn't believe it, Eunhyuk never told him anything about Kwon Yuri, not even this afternoon when Eunhyuk read the tabloid with Yuri's face on the front page. So Donghae just stood there in confusion,

Suddenly, someone's phone rang. It was Eunhyuk's. "Ah sorry, I gotta go now. Bye!" He ran to the gate while answering his phone. Now, Donghae and Yuri were alone, and there went the awkward silence, again.

"Why did you lie?" Yuri broke the ice. Donghae was taken aback by that sentence. 

"Sorry?"

"Why did you lie to Yoona? You were looking for me at the gym this afternoon, why didn't you tell her the truth?" Yuri didn't move her eyes from her things in the locker. She talked without stopping her cleaning motion. Donghae kept silent. Then finally Yuri closed her locker and looked into his eyes.

"Come on, Don Juan, you gotta have an answer for this." Donghae kept silent. He looked into Yuri's eyes. She got amazing eyes. So full of passion and spirit.

"Why should I tell you?" His tone became sarcastic, and now it's Yuri's turn to feel offended.

"Tsk, boys, boys. I mean, you even lied in this small matter. I know you don't want to make a misunderstanding between us, but this is a small matter. She is not that type of a super jealous teenage girl, she would understand it. I can't even imagine what will you do on a bigger matter." She started to sound worried. And somehow Donghae felt butterflies on his tummy.

"Listen to me. If one day I see her crying because of you, I would really kick you there." And she left Donghae standing there alone.

She, is really something.