Chapter 8

Stand On My Own Two Feet

***

"Yuri-ah! Are you coming to Eunhyuk's birthday party?" Asked Sooyoung. Sooyoung and Yuri were walking around school's park during lunch time. Yuri looked down and shook her head. "I don't know...." She said.

"Come on Yuri........ I know it's because of Donghae and Yoona right?" Yuri nodded. "You gotta make up your mind and stand up. Don't run around aimlessly, you'll get exhausted." Sooyoung continued. 

"Easy for you to talk." Said Yuri, she let out a big sigh. She turned to Sooyoung and saw a really worried face on her. She patted Sooyoung's cheek. "Hey, don't worry. I can take care of myself, remember?" Yuri smiled, but Sooyoung still looked worried. "I'll come to Eunhyuk's party, ok?" Yuri said. Sooyoung looked even more worried.

"Really? Are you sure? Are you gonna be ok there? I don't think it's a good idea." Sooyoung said. Yuri crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Excuse me? Weren't you the one who told me to come? I'm gonna be ok, Sooyoung. Now, let's hurry to class or we'll be late."

***

 On Saturday night, when Eunhyuk's party took place, Eunhyuk's friends in or out of school all gathered in Eunhyuk's house to celebrate his birthday. It was a big party and a lot of people were coming. Yuri and Sooyoung came in together. They were greeted by Eunhyuk himself. 

"Hi! Happy birthday!! Said Yuri and Sooyoung. They both high fived Eunhyuk. "Thank you, girls! Please, make yourself at home and have fun!" Said Eunhyuk, welcoming his guests. Yuri and Sooyoung walked inside the house. Many people from school were there, they met many of their schoolmates. Yuri and Sooyoung were taking their drinks when suddenly Siwon approached them.

"Hey, Sooyoung, Yuri." Said Siwon politely. Sooyoung and Yuri exchanged look, then Yuri smiled. "Just go on, I'll be fine." Then Sooyoung and Siwon walked away. Yuri stood near the buffet, sometimes greeting her friends, and had some chit chat with them. But most of the time, she was just looking around. She spotted Yoona. The suddenly someone approached her. It was Donghae.

"Hey." Said Donghae. Yuri jus raised her eyebrows. Donghae stood in front of her. He tried to look in her eyes, but she kept avoiding him. She even tried to walk away. Then Donghae held her wrist. "We gotta talk." Yuri tried to free her hand but she failed. Donghae turned to be stronger than her. He dragged her to the garden, no one was there. Yuri looked very annoyed.

"What do you want?" Said Yuri in a high tone. Donghae just looked at her. "You're wasting time." Yuri walked away again, and this time Donghae held her wrist, again.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Asked Donghae. He sounded serious. Yuri didn't answer. "Why are you avoiding me? At school, here, everywhere?" Yuri kept silent. "Did I do something wrong? Tell me, then" He said.

"No, you didn't." She said. Donghae frowned. "Then why?" Yuri inhaled and then she looked deep into his eyes. She didn't know why but she felt pain all over her chest. "You're my friend's ex. You broke her heart, you made her cry, you made her suffer. Do you think I can be as friendly to you as before?" Yuri's voice sounded like she was going to cry, but she didn't look like that. 

Donghae was speechless. He didn't know what to say. He felt numb=. "I've sworn that I will protect her. But I didn't. And now she suffered because of me. How do you think I can live with that?!" Yuri yelled at him. 

"Have you ever think about me?!" Now it was Donghae's turn to scream. "Why should I?! You're no one!" Yuri replied to him. Donghae felt pain. But he knew, the pain he was bearing was nothing to hers. "Have you ever think about yourself?" He yelled, but his voice sounded so gently. Yuri was taken aback. And then she ran away.

***

Since then, Yuri and Donghae were never seen together. Even if they accidentally passed each other, they would pretend that they didn't know each other. Yuri was again busy with her basketball team, the regional championship was just weeks ahead. And Donghae, drifted with confusion and a broken heart, he was back to the old Donghae, a player. No one would think that they both felt pain in their hearts.