20: Stepping up

The Pathetic Ex-Lovers' Club
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 20: Stepping up

Baekhyun

The sun had set when he woke up. His work was exhausting him and finally having a good sleep was just bliss. And he felt more bliss when he woke up to the sleeping face of the person he had been longing for.

It felt like a dream. A dream that he kept to himself, of course because he didn’t want to be seen like he was erted but having Hana on his humble bed with the comforter wrapping around her bare body and strands of hair fell over her face naturally was a pleasing sight.

He loves her. Too much until it hurts sometimes, but that’s the only pain that manage to bring a smile to his face.

Hana groaned lowly when she started stirring up in her sleep, moving a little to make herself comfortable before she opened her eyes, blinking a few times. When she felt like there were eyes watching her, the thought of what they did before finally sank in and she looked towards the presence next to her before rolling over, seeing Baekhyun in his sleeveless shirt, his overly proud biceps he had been bragging since the first time they met was seen in glory.

“Hi.” She croaked. “How long have you been up?”

“I don’t know. Quite some time.”

“Why didn’t wake me up, then?”

He smiled, in a way that he looked like he was admiring a god’s gift. “I kind of enjoy watching you sleeping.”

“That sounds really creepy.” She retorted. “But then, creepy is always your thing.”

Baekhyun’s face fell and he nudged her slightly. “Now look who’s ruining the moment. You’re quite irritating when you start talking too.” He grunted.

Seeing how Baekhyun looked quite pissed, Hana started with her delicate fingers against his soft skin as she unleashed her inner cuteness to console him, which he would want to for it but damn, he didn’t want her to stop. “I heard I had quite a few sleeping habits. I just feel insecure – like I didn’t do anything weird or embarrassing in my sleep, right?” she wiped the corner of her lips. “Except I drool a little.”

Baekhyun loves how real she is. She could be acting like that and still looking pretty.

“You do, and I don’t think you would want to find out what I just witnessed,” she widened her eyes in horror. “But then, still, you lay there looking y as hell.”

~~~

When Hana mentioned how late the time has gotten, both of them headed to Chanyeol’s café before he drove her back home.

“Come on, Yeol. I just want to take away a hot chocolate and a piece of cake! I’ll pay this time, I swear.”

“I’ve done closing and look! I was about to put this key into its keyhole.” Chanyeol showed the key that he would use to lock his shop.

“Then, don’t do that yet!” Baekhyun grabbed his wrist and stopped him.

While they were at it, glaring daggers into each other’s eyes, Hana’s voice snapped them out of it and both of them turned to look at her who was hooking her arm around Baekhyun’s, and was watching the whole scene before her.

“Please, Chanyeol. It’s for me. I want it to make it up to Jinae because Baek here just made me ditched her while working during the day just now.” She pouted at Chanyeol but nevertheless, she didn’t forget to roll her eyes at Baekhyun.

Jinae left an uncountable amount of missed calls and texts that made Hana shuddered at the thought of it.

“What did you guys do that you ditched Jinae while working?” Chanyeol asked, genuinely curious.

Baekhyun contemplated before answering. “Well, we got carried away doing some activities.” He scratched the back of his ear awkwardly.

Chanyeol shut her eyes, could feel his veins popped out on his forehead, regretting his decision of asking. “I shouldn’t have asked.” but his reply was ignored because the two lovebirds was busy having a bicker by themselves.

“What? I just beat around the bush.” He reasoned to Hana before he turned to Chanyeol. “We could be playing video games in my room, you wouldn’t have known.” And Chanyeol could literally see Hana face palmed at Baekhyun.

“You never put your work aside for anything except for one thing.”

“I can’t help if he is fast at catching up. And I can’t help either if he has a really wild imagination of us. He didn’t have girlfriend for quite some time, you see,” Baekhyun nonchalantly told Hana as if Chanyeol wasn’t even there standing in front of him. And a thought hit Chanyeol, made him wonder what did he does to deserve two insensitive morons as his best friends.

“I’m going home.” He said and Baekhyun caught his arm, stopping him while begging “Hey, hey, hey, not yet. Do me this one favour, can’t you?”

“Fine. But I’m only doing this for Hana.”

“How could you prefer a woman who you had just known for slightly over three months but not your best friend since high school?” Baekhyun complained and Chanyeol just replied “Shut your trap, Baek.”

Baekhyun saw how Hana beamed widely and repeated “Shut your trap, Baek.”

 

Chanyeol groaned non-stop when he had to fumble around the fridge and taking out the utensils in the kitchen because that mean, he might need to stay a little longer than usual to clean the mess again. He saw Baekhyun kept playing around, stealing kisses from Hana and they were grinning like idiots at each other.

“Spare this single man in the kitchen some pity, for goodness sake!” he spoke, surprising both of the lovebirds, and they obediently stood still as they were warned to. “Don’t you had enough?” he asked Baekhyun when he came to the front with the packed cake and hot chocolate as ordered and switched on the system to punched in the total.

“I can never have enough of her, you know that.” Baekhyun replied seriously and Hana brought Chanyeol’s attention to her, too embarrassed with Baekhyun’s embarrassing, cringing remarks. “I can’t stand him too sometimes.” She muttered and gratefully thanked Chanyeol before leaving.

 

Baekhyun and Hana was walking pass the bus stop when Hana suggested that it would be more convenient to ride the bus to Jinae’s house instead. Of course, Baekhyun disagreed strongly but – what a timing – the bus arrived at the time they were there and Hana ran quickly to stop the bus.

“You just go back and do as you promise, okay? I’ll see you on Saturday?” Hana said as both of them were standing at the door, door opened wide and thankfully, the bus driver didn’t get annoyed that they were making him wait.

“Yeah. Make sure you get there safe, okay?”

“You don’t have to worry. I know how to take care of myself.” But I want to take care of you, Baekhyun found himself talking in his mind. “Don’t forget to call me?”

“I won’t.” And by then, Hana walked to hop onto the bus and waved before she got herself fixed to one of the seats.

Baekhyun’s eyes never left her and they were still staring at each other when Hana had settled down. Baekhyun always knew how Hana was so good at doing everything on her own, needing nobody to support her because in his eyes, Hana was such a strong woman, obviously physically – he had become a victim a lot and it ing hurts until he made a mental note to never mess around with this woman – but also mentally. He always wanted to be someone she could rely on to, to be honest, he wouldn’t mind if she’s clinging onto him.

Today, she had shown that he had the presence she needed in her life and he liked it a lot.

“I love you.” Baekhyun mouthed from outside, and a beam formed on Hana’s face because of what he said. That was a reason why Baekhyun said it at all possible times to let her know how he really felt, because he knew it gave that much effect on her.

~~~

Please log in to read the full chapter