17: Spring is here!

The Pathetic Ex-Lovers' Club
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 17: Spring is here!

The night ended with words of endearment and a smile that never leave my face.

The next day was just another day. It was the same for me, for everyone else, yet something felt different. I woke up at 8, passing by sleepy Sehun and mutter “good morning” to him, had a toast and milk in a hurry and stuffed my stilettos in my bag before leaving the apartment. I, then had to make my adventurous journey through packed subway, watching all sorts of behaviours around and wishing I would have gotten a seat.

But a memory of a day before said it’s different today.

The sun seemed to shine brighter, yet it wasn’t scorching, the sky looked bluer-if that makes any more sense- and people look happier.

One by one displayed a questioning look as Minji served a take away coffee cup to each of them and placed a bunch of bagels in the middle. Even Jinae was giving me the same look, but I looked away because that one, I couldn’t leave her ignored.

“Then that's a good news. Everything is under scheduled as of now with current projects we have. But I was informed that maybe a big project coming up next, right Jinae?”

Jinae sat up straight, as if she just woke up from her reverie when all eyes were focused on her and she nodded before spilling out the details. “Yes, we’re accepting a project in Gwangju. There’s a new office branch opening up next but as of now, they’re still in the middle of construction so Hana and I have discussed that we would want to finish up all the projects at hands first.”

“Yeah, later when we have the exact date for this, I’m going to hold another meeting with the one who’s going to be on task for this.”

I had a sit right when the meeting ended as they made their way out of the room. Jinae was still there, sipping on the little amount left in her cup and asked “What’s up with your generosity today?” while pointing at the cup.

“You know how we always behind time because we’re such a small group of team but with big dreams?”

“Yeah, so?”

“This is like a token of appreciation. Didn’t I tell earlier how everything is under control? Of course, and celebrating you, back to the lovey dovey phase with your oo.”

“Bull.” She wanted to smack my arm for teasing her but I managed to dodge it. “You hate seeing us being lovey dovey.” She pouted.

“Hey come on, as much as I hated it, if it does make you happy, I’m happy.” I replied, her arm before I stood up and gathering my stuffs. “I may or may not be dating someone right now.” I said hurriedly and fast enough for Jinae not to catch it while dashing for the door immediately, but  Jinae seemed  to have caught every word when she was seen stunned for a moment before she shrieked, hurrying after me.

“You-you- really?”

“Shut up. They're looking.” I scolded her under my breath and climbed the stairs to my office. She followed me silently after that and by the time the door to my office was shut, she sat at one of the chairs opposite of me, looking all ears to what I have to say.

“Who?”

I contemplated, my eyes darted to anywhere but her and I jumped a little in my seat when she slammed the file to get my attention. “What’s with the rush?” I got slightly annoyed.

“I have this feeling, you know. That you’re keeping way too many things from me. I thought we’re best friends for life.”

“Did I ever say we’re not?”

“How could you?”

I widened my eyes at her accusatory tone and defended myself immediately. “Hey, hey, hey, you’re the first person to know, okay?”

Jinae looked calmer when she heard me said that, maybe a tad bit embarrassed because she was wrong. “Because this is so sudden. It’s just a few days ago Yerin was telling me how uncomfortable she is knowing you’re Jongin’s ex- Don’t tell me that Yerin-“

“NO!” I exclaimed. “Don’t try to go that far. I’m not that low. Why would I keep chasing after someone who threw me away? I still have this much of dignity, you know!” I scolded her while showing a pinch of just how much dignity I have left. At least with that much, I won’t easily throw it away for that jerk.

“There is a possibility, you can’t fully blame it on me for assuming.” She replied, with her eyes round, blinking in innocence. That would have probably worked on Kyungsoo, but not me. “So,” why is she trying aegyo on me now? “is it someone that I know? Ah! I know!”

She knows?

My eyes matched her wide eyes, the difference was just how different we were feeling about our conversation. “It’s Minseok, right? Ah, I knew it. You guys look so cute together.”

“Minseok? Who is Minse- oh, remind me some time when we’re free to visit his shop. I still haven’t find a time yet to go.”

“You don’t meet again after that date?”

“No.”

“Then, who? It can’t be someone that I know then.” She murmured to herself, her frowns were getting deeper as she tried hard to figure out.

I rested my head on my probing arm as I watched her in fascination. “You really like guessing, is it?” I had actually asked that genuinely because why didn’t she just straightaway ask me. It’s not like I’m avoiding.

“You tell me, then.”

“I was ab-“ about to tell you. Maybe that wasn’t entirely true but I didn’t expect she would have waste her effort on guessing.

“Just who is it, seriously?” she whined and I just smirked at her because I enjoyed doing so, and she looked like she was about to reach for the cute vase- that I got specially from Rome as a gift- and throw right at my head at that moment.

 

I ended up telling her, anyway in the end and she looked much in disbelief when she heard me, Baekhyun and dating in the same line like “what the heck just happened?” . Wasn’t she the one who suspiciously on with “Fishy. Something smells fishy.” the other day? Was I talking to somebody else?

But I couldn’t just put it off either about how she had said it before how it would have been weird for me to date Yerin’s ex. She didn’t seem to have thought on that currently when I told her that it was Baekhyun.

She just looked in disbelief.

“Did Chanyeol know?” Jinae asked me.

“How would I know? Chanyeol is his friend.”

“Let’s just say Chanyeol knew, then am I the only one who is clueless at that time?”

I huffed, trying so hard not to snap my annoying friend’s head into two. “Which part of he just confessed to me last night that you did not get? That was weeks ago.”

“He can’t just fall in love with you last night.” she retorted back.

I gave up, didn't shoot at her back with how ridiculous she was being when I had no idea all along. I do like him but I didn’t know he likes me back. “I thought you didn’t know about ‘that’ encounter with Yerin.” I changed the subject.

She scrunched her nose at the touch of that topic. “I know you better than her. Her, telling me what I should do is like ‘what are you on about?’.” I chuckled when I saw her expression, and she raised her eyebrows, proving she was making sense and being serious at that moment. “If it’s between you and Jongin that has to be stopped, it should have been Jongin. That advice should have worked on her. Not me. Because with this much of dignity you have,” she showed the same gesture I showed her before. “I know you won’t throw it away for him.”

“But you were having doubts on me before.”

“A little.” Jinae admitted. “That is because I know how irresistible Jongin can be. But I guess, it can’t be as irresistible as Baekhyun now, huh?” she kept poking my arm now annoyingly with a sheepish grin on her face, almost erted and I have no idea what she was thinking about as she said that.

“Stop it.” I whined, wishing for her to really stop before I bit off her beautiful fingers, turning it into ugly ones. And I meant it.

“How do you know?”

“Jongin told me last night.” Last night. “Oh no.” I think the colour on my face turned pale as the realization hit me.

“W-what’s up?” she mirrored my expression.

“Jongin- I…I met him last night, then I met Baekhyun last night, then…he confessed to me that he likes me- we kissed, Jongin was there,” Damn, Jongin was there. “D-did…Jongin went home safely?”

She

Please log in to read the full chapter