Ch 2

She loved her music

 

"It's almost time! You'll be on stage in 10!" Moonbyul bounced around the waiting room, unable to keep her excitement and nervousness in check, causing more than a few of the staff in the room to grumble. "Red Velvet will finally be BACK!"

"Damn it Moonbyul, you're almost more excited than we are." Irene looked at her from the corner of her eye as a stylist added the last touches of her makeup. "Hehe, you know, all your hype is making us more nervous. Shouldn't it be around time you go find your seat in the audience to cheer for us in our performance?" Moonbyul froze her prancing and stared wide eyed.

"Crap, you're right! Oh my god, what if my seat is taken! I need my front seat view of you guys." She rushed out of the waiting room and raced towards the seating area, hoping that her friend had indeed saved her a seat. 

"Well, there she goes." Seulgi smiled widely, the fading image of Moonbyul's back motivating her once again for the upcoming stage. "We can't let her down now can we. She did help stay up all those nights, fixing and changing our songs in this album just for us."

Getting ready, the 5 members gathered together and yelled, "Red Velvet, fighting!" They proceeded to the back of the stage.

"Dumb Dumb" was a hit. The catchy chorus, the powerful vocals, the smooth rap were all accentuated by the powerful dance and breathtaking visuals of the idols and the stage. In the audience, Moonbyul had nearly screamed herself hoarse with her cheers for her friends, beaming with pride at the music they had made together. After Red Velvet finished their performance and got off stage, Moonbyul headed out of her seat, ready to go back to the waiting room to congratulate her friends once again. 

As she headed down the hallway, she suddenly heard a low growl of anger from around a corner. The whole area had cleared out compared to before, with most people waiting near the stage or within closed waiting rooms. Curious, she decided to check it out.

As she drew nearer, she could hear the same angry voice snarl, "You know I'm a sunbae to you. You should even be glad to be receiving attention from someone like me." Moonbyul frowned in annoyance; she hated it when people would try to use their position to force things from other people. As she rounded the corner, she saw what she expected. An older idol had cornered a girl, threatening her.

"Your company is so small too. You'd do best to just give in. You know I could make it very, very difficult to continue on living as an idol." He chuckled under his breath as his words made the short girl visibly flinch.

"S-sunbae, please don't do this to me. I can't do this but I can't make this difficult for my group members too." At her words, the guy slammed his hand against the wall and the girl whimpered in return. 

At that, Moonbyul had enough. She strode towards the pair. 

"Sorry to bother you guys, but I'm this girl's manager and it's time for her to return to the waiting room to get ready for her performance. I'd appreciate it if you return her to me." Moonbyul grabbed the girl's arm and gently pulled her behind her, away from the guy's view. She put on as straight a face as she could, keeping her anger in check. "More people may be coming to look for her if she isn't back soon." She stared directly back at the guy, subtly implying that the mess would only get bigger if he continued to argue. 

The girl being discussed looked nervously back and forth at the two in the confrontation. Moonbyul internally sighed in relief, glad that she had caught on quick and played along with the story. "Go ahead now. I'll meet you back at the waiting room later." Moonbyul nudged the girl back towards the direction she had come from. The girl backed away nervously, and as she walked off, she peeked back several times at the pair. Once she had rounded the corner, Moonbyul sighed audibly.

"What did you do that for! In fact, who do you even think you are! You're just a manager, just a staff member, so how dare you just talk over me like that!" The guy's frustration exploded towards Moonbyul, who only smirked in return. Thrown off by her reaction, he demanded, "What's so funny?"

"You seem to like talking about power and position and all that don't you? Just because you're successful, doesn't mean you're entitled to everything." She leaned in closer and continued, "And if you really want, two can play this game. I'll have you know, I'm one of SM's biggest producers and am particularly close to our CEO. So if you really want to continue this, we both know who will win this fight." 

He stepped back rapidly, face as white as a sheet. Gritting his teeth, he walked away in the opposite direction. 

Moonbyul smiled to herself. Sometimes, she thought, it was definitely useful to have such a position within a company like SM. As she returned the way she came, the figure of a fidgeting girl came into view. It was the girl from earlier.

"Why are you still here? I got rid of him don't worry, if that's what you're concerned about." Moonbyul chuckled and crinkled her nose in a large smile. 

The girl beamed in return. "I just wanted to thank you personally for helping out, even though we're complete strangers. I don't know what I would have done had you not shown up."

"It's all right, It's what anyone should have done." Moonbyul patted the other girl's head. "I can't believe he was such an . You need to reject jerks like that forcefully you know. Can't have them take advantage of such a cute girl like you."

The girl blushed, looking down. She mumbed in embarassment, "C-cute, you said? T-thanks. Oh, by the way, I'm Whee---".

"Moonbyul! There you are!" Seulgi was calling for her from down the hallway. "We need your help back here now!"

Moonbyul looked apologetically back at the girl. "Sorry, got to go! Glad you're ok!" She rushed off towards Seulgi.

"Wheein. I'm Wheein." She finished her sentence in a whisper, knowing the other girl could no longer hear her. "Moonbyul. Such a cool name for such a cool girl." Wheein could feel her cheeks warm as she recalled the scene, remembering how Moonbyul had rescued her. "I hope I'll get to see her again." As she walked back to her waiting room, there was an extra bounce in her steps.

Meanwhile, Moonbyul was rushing around the Red Velvet waiting room, helping anyone and everyone as they rushed to get the members ready to go back on stage. As they prepared, Seulgi asked, "So what were you talking about with Wheein earlier? I thought you said you didn't know Mamamoo."

"So her name was Wheein? And she's one of those Mamamoo members you guys talked about?" Moonbyul thought for a while, digesting the information. "I had helped her out since she ran into a bit of a problem earlier. She seems like a nice, cute little person though." Suddenly, she regretted ignoring the other performances that day. It would have been nice seeing Wheein and her smile on stage... Wait. Moonbyul was surprised at her own thoughts. Her interaction with the other girl had been less than 5 minutes, and here she was, Moonbyul the workaholic, interested in a group that she had not even worked with. "Wheein." Her smile grew broader as she repeated the girl's name. "Wheein". 


*Sorry that the pace seems a little slow! I added both the tags of Wheebyul and Moonsun, because let's be honest here, it's ridiculously hard to choose which ship to ship more in this fandom. No moonsun yet, though I guarantee there will be some in the future. Thank for reading again!