Ch 3

She loved her music

“Um oh ah yeh”. Moonbyul spun around her music room, humming the song she was now addicted to. She even knew the dance moves by heart, from all the performances she had seen over the past couple weeks.

 

After that day, Moonbyul stayed to watch Mamamoo’s performance of ‘Um Oh Ah Yeh’. It was an understatement to say it blew her mind. The bright and lively performances entranced her, while Mamamoo’s harmonization literally drowned her senses. Since that day, she had literally gone with Red Velvet to every single one of their music show performances just for a chance to see them again.

 

Now that both groups’ promotions were over, she was disappointed. Disappointed that she didn’t have and excuse to go see them perform again, disappointed that in all those weeks of promotions and watching Mamamoo, she never got the chance to see Wheein again in person. She couldn’t help but sigh and think about how adorable Wheein looked on stage. Such a hyper little puppy. Makes you want to cuddle and hug her.

 

Seulgi, Irene, and Wendy passed by her room. Seeing Moonbyul fly around the room to the trio’s voices blasting in the background, they gave each other knowing smiles. Wendy opened her door and stuck her head in, yelling over the music. “Moonbyul, Moonbyul. Who knew you’d turn into such an adorable fangirl!”

 

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d even say you were a lost member of Mamamoo, seeing how well you know their songs and dances!” Seulgi added on teasingly, as Moonbyul continued to sway to the music, giving the three only a brief glance.

 

‘Don’t go falling too hard for them now, Moonbyul! We’re still your number one right?” At Irene’s statement, Moonbyul paused, gave her a playful glare, and walked over.

 

She gave them a tight group hug, and backed up. “You guys know I love you.” She put her hands on the door. “I love you all, but I’m afraid I’ve become a full time radish. Tell the CEO to call me when it’s time for your next comeback.” She grinned and quickly closed the door on the three as their jaws dropped in amazement.

 

“She really likes them huh”. Seulgi murmured as they heard the faint thumping of the music behind the closed door. “If only she had the courage to actually go meet them.” Shaking her head, she, Irene, and Wendy left and returned to deal with their own business.

 

 

 

Months later at RBW, Hwasa, Solar, and Wheein were each in separate rooms recording for their upcoming album. This would be their first full album, and they were determined to satisfy the loyal moomoos who had supported them all this time with a flawless set of music pieces. Solar and Hwasa were belting out their lines, engrossed in the music.

 

Wheein, on the other hand, was a little distracted. Ever since promotions for Um oh ah yeh had ended, the memory of Moonbyul stuck in the corner of her mind. She could swear that in each of their performances, Moonbyul’s image flashed into view among the little army of radish lightsticks. But as soon as she tried to take a closer look, she disappeared.

 

Her frustration accumulated even more whenever she had her phone in hand, chat open. Ever since she learned that Moonbyul had ties with Red velvet, Wheein internally struggled to decide if she ought to bring her up in their shared Mamamoo-red velvet chat. But it’ll be weird. I only met her once. How do I even bring up the subject casually when all we talk about in the chat is food and music? She ended up chickening out.

 

“Ugh!!! Why does life have to be so hard!!” Wheein grumbled and decided to just focus on recording for now. As she flipped through the sheets of lyrics and music, a name popped out at her among the list of producers. Moonbyul. Her eyes widened in shock.

 

~A few weeks earlier

Rrrinnngg. Rrrinngg. Rubbing her eyes, Moonbyul reached over to pick up her phone. “Yes, hello? Who is this?”

 

“Hello, you are Moonbyul right? Red velvet’s main producer, the young genius who hides herself in her music-composing room all day? I’m Kim Do Hoon, also a producer, CEO of Rainbow Bridge Company. Perhaps you know of me?” There was a slight hint of playfulness in his voice at the end of that sentence.

 

Rbw. RBW. RBW!!!! Of course she knew. It was not like Kim Do Hoon's name was rarely spoken in the producing world either. But RBW. Home of her new faves. The company that literally brought Mamamoo into being. She could not mess up. She gulped before responding courteously, "U-um, to what do I owe this pleasure?"

 

She could hear him chuckling on the other end. "I've heard that you are quite a fan of Mamamoo. Because of that, I've reached out to you hoping that you are willing to help contribute to their new album. I've seen your work and I have to say I'm quite impressed as well of what you've accomplished at such a young age. How does this offer sound to you?"

 

Moonbyul gasped. She couldn't believe it. "Of course sir, I'm ecstatic for this opportunity!" Then she paused, a frown creasing her brow. "However, I wonder if you had heard that I'm out of the country at the moment for work and won't be back until some time March. When were you planning for their comeback?"

 

"We plan to release the comeback at the end of February. I know that you enjoy working personally with the artists, but I do hope that you are willing to work with us on this matter, and just send us the work you will produce."

 

She pursed her lips in annoyance. This was not something she usually did. She preferred meeting with the artists. Yet, this was Mamamoo. Already a diehard moomoo, she had literally watched every video there was to watch on the trio, from their immortal songs performances that would leave her in tears to the mamamootv videos that would leave her rolling around, laughing her off. She could, potentially, bend her own rules this time. Just for Mamamoo. "I'll do it."

 

"I'm glad you're on board. I'll get you a free album as well when it comes out!" He hung up, leaving Moonbyul jittery in happiness at his parting words.

 

 

~Mamamoo's comeback stage

The three beagle-dols were jumping around in their waiting room, nervous about their upcoming stage. Solar was in the corner, mumbling her lines repeatedly for last minute practice. Hwasa was in front of the mirror, arguing with her stylist about the final touches of her makeup. Wheein was fidgeting around, seemingly bothered, and would occasionally poke her head out and stare out into the hallway. Noticing this, Hwasa gave up arguing for extra thick eyeliner and came up behind Wheein.

 

"What's wrong? Are you looking for someone?" Wheein jumped and turned, laughing nervously. 

 

"Nah, I guess I'm just super nervous. I hope we live up to our moomoos' expectations." But really, she had unconsciously been hoping to see Moonbyul, ever since she saw her name listed as one of their producers. Sometimes those producers came to visit. Maybe this time Moonbyul will... Stupid, stupid. She's tied with Red Velvet. They haven't come back. Why am I like this. But maybe, she'll come to see us perform. I mean, ceo did say that she was our fan. 

 

"Alright Mamamoo, you're up!" The trio quickly got up at the staff's words and headed out, ready to perform 'You're the Best' for the first time live. 

Wheein didn't see Moonbyul. There was a huge sea of radish lightsticks that greeted them, but there was no Moonbyul. She felt a twinge of disappointment. 

 

A couple days later, Mamamoo had their first fansign event. The event was hectic, with more fans coming than RBW had expected. Wheein, Solar, and Hwasa were swamped with work, signing albums, accepting gifts, joking with each of their fans. 

The line went by exhaustingly slow. Fan after fan came up with their Melting album held in front of them, eyes shining in anticipation. It was not until a certain someone stepped up in front of Wheein that the monotony was broken. 

"Hi." Wheein eyes slowly widened, that simple greeting jolting her memory. "I really love your music! This is my first time going to a fansign. You guys are the only group I've ever done this for." The speaker chuckled awkwardly. "A-ah right! For my album signing, could you write it to--"

"Moonbyul." Wheein quietly breathed out. "I remember."

 


 

*I know I promised moonsun, but I just couldn't find a way to introduce it in without making the story all wonky. Maybe next chapter. Hopefully you all won't be too turned off at the seemingly slow story progression. Thanks again for reading and thanks for the subscriptions!