Epilogue

She loved her music

*This is an epilogue.

 

 


The tip tap of Moonbyul’s slightly sweaty fingertips against wood was the only sound coming from the corner of the restaurant. Moonbyul looked out through the window, staring past her reflection down at the mass of tiny lights dotting the distance. Perhaps one of those lights belonged to the car Wheein would arrive in.

 

Swoosh. Moonbyul looked up at the sound of rustling cloth.

 

“Would you like anything to drink first?” The waiter smiled, pen and pad poised in hand.

 

“I’m fine for now. I’m still waiting for someone.”

 

The waiter nodded and left. Moonbyul flipped her wrist over and checked her watch.

 

7:05 pm. It was only five minutes past the appointed time. Maybe Moonbyul shouldn’t have come a whole half hour early, because the wait was killing her.

 

A few minutes later, she heard the shuffling of footsteps on the carpets once again, and she turned to see the same waiter from earlier.

 

“I’m not ready to order yet.”

 

He only smiled, bowed, and stepped to the side. Behind him, stood Wheein.

 

Moonbyul’s fingers froze. As the girl thanked the waiter and sat down at the table, Moonbyul could not help but once again admire the brilliant smile flashing across dimpled cheeks, the silky black hair tossed behind sculpted shoulders, and the tender gaze of love that peeked through the crescents of her eyes.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late! It took me a while to get ready after we finished our schedule.”

 

The words didn’t quite process for Moonbyul, who was still staring slack jawed at the girl across from her.

 

“Moonbyul? Hello?”

 

The mention of her name jolted Moonbyul back to attention. “You...you look very beautiful today Wheein. I-I mean, you always look beautiful, but today,” she watched the warm yellow lights of the restaurant bask Wheein’s head in a halo, “an angel.”

 

“Thanks.” Wheein ducked her head at the compliment, hiding the flush that crept up her cheeks. “You look good too.”

 

“Nothing on you though.” Moonbyul winked, rolling up her white sleeves as she flagged down the waiter and told him their order.

 

“You flirt.”

 

“Only for you.”

 

Wheein groaned, but a silly grin remained on her face. The waiter came and set the appetizers before them.

 

“So, how were your performances at the universities today? You must be tired.”

 

“Yeah, a bit. It always gets busy around these months, with the festivals. The events always end up on the same days.”

 

“Tell me if your ceo is overworking you.” Moonbyul gave a cheeky smile. “I’ll go bother him again and nag about how I don’t get to spend enough time with you.”

 

“You know he complained to me last time you did that? When you took me on that fishing trip in Jeju for the weekend?”

 

“But it’s true,” whined Moonbyul. “You guys are always performing here, or there. And then when you’re not, you get dragged into another collaboration that keeps you stuffed up in another recording studio.” Her eyes widened and her hand rose to cover her babbling mouth. “Oops. Crap, I started complaining again. And I was trying so hard to be dignified tonight too, of all nights.”

 

“I like you better this way. The Moonbyul that’s just quite greasy and needy enough.”

 

“Needy…”

 

“So you don’t deny the greasy?” Wheein took a sip from her wine glass, eyebrow raised in mock surprise.

 

“You know it better than anyone else.”

 

“I’d say you’re still a woman of many mysteries though.”

 

“Then feel free to take all the time you want to figure me out.” Moonbyul leaned back satisfyingly at Wheein’s embarrassment.

 

“If I hadn’t questioned Seulgi about you, I would have totally thought you were the ultimate player based on how smooth you are with your compliments.”

 

“W-What you questioned Seulgi?” spluttered Moonbyul, smug smile sliding off her face in an instant. “Oh my god what did she say about me?”

 

“I just asked her about you. And she just told me some stuff.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“You seem awfully worried.”

 

“Seulgi’s too honest for her own good.”

 

“Mmm. I could tell.” Wheein raised her glass again, enjoying the slight hint of panic within Moonbyul’s eyes. But it would be rather cruel of her to continue teasing Moonbyul after all she had planned, so she laughed and said, “She only told me about how you’ve never gone out with anyone before.”

 

“Oh.” Moonbyul heaved a sigh of relief.

 

“But she also told me about your crush on Krystal--”

 

Moonbyul whipped out her phone. “Seulgi when I find you I will--”

 

“To be fair, I had to beg Seulgi for quite a while before she told me anything. Or more like bribe her.”

 

“Food, was it?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“If only the chicken worked on Hwasa.” Moonbyul shook her head sadly as she stuffed her phone back in her pocket.

 

“Hwasa? Psh. Hwasa wouldn’t tell you anything about me.” Wheein crossed her arms, smirking confidently at Moonbyul.

 

“I realized that a bucket of chicken too late.”

 

“Hwasa’s sneaky for sure. You would probably have had better luck getting information out of Solar.”

 

“Solar?” Moonbyul smiled wryly. “It’s been a while, but I still feel a bit awkward talking to her about anything relationship related. So I didn’t bother.”

 

“Will you look at that. Greasy Moonbyul getting one-upped by a girl in her past.”

 

“Wheein....”

 

“I’m joking, just joking!” Wheein leaned forward and placed her hand on top of Moonbyul’s. “It’s just so rare to see you get flustered. It’s fun to tease you. And amusing to see your reaction.”

 

“We’ll see who gets the last laugh.”

 

“So childish.”

 

“You’re one to talk.”

 

The waiter came forward with the check, breaking the staredown between the two pouting lovers.

 

As Moonbyul signed the receipt, she said, “I’ve got more surprises than you think, Wheein.”

 

“Bring it.”

 

“Ooh, challenge accepted.” Moonbyul discretely felt her coat pocket, making sure the hard edges of a lump was still there. “Shall we go then?”



 

---

“Moonbyul. I don’t think this blindfold is necessary.” Wheein rolled her eyes, but of course it went unnoticed. “I can hear the waves. And I can feel the sand.”

 

“Shh.” Moonbyul continued walking backwards, leading the blindfolded Wheein carefully over the small dunes by the wavefront. She looked over her shoulder. They were nearly at the cloth Moonbyul had laid out earlier.

 

“All right. We’re here.” As she spoke, Moonbyul gently eased Wheein down into a sitting position, making sure her dress hem was tucked securely under her. She then went behind Wheein to untie the knot and remove the handkerchief over her eyes.

 

Wheein blinked a couple times. “Ah, so it was a beach---oh.” She gasped and covered her open mouth with both her hands.

 

“Happy 1 year anniversary, Wheein.” Moonbyul wrapped her arms around Wheein’s waist from the back, nestling her head onto the younger girl’s shoulder. “Thank you for being with an idiot like me for a whole year.”

 

The candle flame flickered on the cake before them, standing strong against the elements as it tenaciously burned on. Warm yellow lamplight lit the two of them in a yellow glow, supplementing the dimming natural light as the sun sank over the water.

 

Moonbyul reached forward with one hand to pick up the bouquet lying next to the cake. “These are for you.”

 

Wheein took hold of the spread of pink carnations, gingerly holding it upright in front of her as Moonbyul’s body warmth continued to seep into her back. “Thank you. They’re beautiful.”

 

“They’re a reminder that I’ll never forget you. And that I’m eternally grateful that you came and stayed in my life.”

 

The arms s around Wheein’s waist tightened, but they left Wheein awash with a sense of comfort and security. She felt the soft press of Moonbyul’s lips against her cheek, skin tingling and a burst of warmth spreading at the point of contact.

 

“Let’s blow it out on 3?” Moonbyul, body still glued against Wheein, lifted Wheein up onto her lap and scooted closer to the cake. “3, 2, 1!”

 

Wheein was sure their quickening heartbeats were synchronized, feeling the muffled pulsing of Moonbyul’s heart through the bare of her back.

 

“1 year since we got together, Moonbyul.”

 

“It’s been a long year.”

 

“It’s been a crazy year.” Wheein laughed, body humming within Moonbyul’s embrace. “I didn’t expect first loves to be so dramatic.”

 

“I know right?” Trailing her fingers through Wheein’s night-black locks, Moonbyul inhaled deeply, Wheein’s perfume mixing with the salty sea breeze. “Oh! I prepared a song too.”

 

She took off her jacket and placed it on Wheein’s shoulders before picking up the guitar. Clearing , she eased herself into a comfortable position and rested her hands against the strings.

 

I’m looking for the lady that was walking by

When she was diamond in a rough tell me all about

And then I really want something that I can’t deny

Well, let me do a thing

And I’m not going to put my game up on it

 

Her crooning voice wove through the air as she continued the song.

 

The soft lapping of waves on sand filled the silence after Moonbyul's serenade. By now, the sun had completely set and the faint shine of moon and stars reflected off the surface of the sea.

 

Moonbyul laid her guitar down, sheepish smile on her face. "How was it? It took me a while to practice for tonight."

 

"It was beautiful." Wheein wasn't lying. Moonbyul, hair flowing back in the wind while her fingers strummed the chords and music poured out her lips, was the most beautiful sight Wheein had ever seen.

 

Moonbyul laughed, cheeks a rosy pink. "Glad you liked everything I planned."

 

"I'd love anything you decide on."

 

"Oh my greasiness seems to be rubbing off on you." Moonbyul chuckled as she dug her hands into her pocket and came up with a small box. Wheein watched as she slowly snapped open the box to reveal two silver bands side by side.

 

“Moonbyul, those--”

 

Moonbyul laid a finger on Wheein’s lips to silence her. “We’ve known each other for a year. I’m not trying to scare you or anything quite yet. But these,” she picked up one of the bands and slipped it onto her own finger, “I thought they could be something as a start. To show people that I am yours,” she held out the other ring and smiled as Wheein held out her hand, “and you, are mine.”

 

Light from the moon glinted off the silver, and as Wheein rotated the band she saw faint letters engraved on the surface.

 

The one who shines brightly in my starry, moonlit sky.

 

“It’s a promise between you and me. One day I’ll make it something more. I love you Wheein.”

 

“I love you too, Moonbyul.”

 

She leaned into Moonbyul’s side and they sat, watching the roll of the tides in peaceful silence and complete harmony.



 


 

 

*I hope that was a decently satisfactory ending for you all! Thanks so much for following my story!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFgFNlLe3LY

^ That's the song that Moonbyul covered. She has such a lovely and unique voice. Wish she'd sing more tbh.

 

 

Writing such a prolonged story was quite difficult, and I realized my writing style definitely changed over the course of the chapters as I rediscovered my previous writing style. Those first chapters I reread, whew I was hella rusty.

 

Shameless plug: I'll be working on shorter mamamoo stories in my other fic, Getting it Fixed, if you want to take a look at that.