Ch 14

She loved her music

"What. was. that." Hwasa pointed at the door and then at Wheein. 

Solar walked over unsteadily and sat down on one of the couches.

Wheein sat down opposite of Solar, watching the girl's eyebrows furrow in confusion as she attempted to understand the situation. Wheein didn't blame her. It was certainly an over the top circumstance, what had happened. 

Hwasa sighed as she joined the two sitting down. Her short cut hair was unkempt, eyebags slightly visible above the baby fat of her cheeks. She had been worrying all night about Wheein and didn't end up getting much sleep. Now this, this surprise from Moonbyul and Wheein piled even more stress on her and she could literally feel the wrinkles in her face sink deeper. 

"Moonbyul and I are together. Like together, together." Wheein leaned back, seemingly satisfied with her statement.

"WHAT? How can that be all, Jung Wheein?" Hwasa threw a pillow at the little girl who lazily caught it and hugged it with her knees tucked up. 

"I went to go see her when she was at a bar last night. We drank a bit, talked a bit more this morning, and then it happened." Squeezing the pillow, Wheein grinned sillily at the memory. 

Solar's tense body loosened and she finally looked Wheein directly in the eye. She wasn't quite sure how she ought to be acting in the situation right now. However, she had told both Hwasa and Wheein then about Moonbyul's and her conversation. It confused her, how Moonbyul had confessed to her. And then, just a day later, had gotten together with Wheein. Was she serious at all? Solar pondered by herself, feeling a little disgruntled at how fast everything had gone. 

"Wheein. Are you sure about this? You remember me talking to you guys before, right? About Moonbyul and..." Solar trailed off, finding it difficult to finish her sentence.

Thankfully, Wheein spoke up, smiling knowingly at Solar. "I know. Of course I'd remember you telling us about how Moonbyul confessed to you. Of course I'd take that into account. But you didn't feel anything for her, didn't you? That's why you turned her down." There was no malice or jealousy in Wheein's eyes as she expressed her feelings. Wheein shuffled towards Hwasa, who was watching the exchange nervously. "Actually, Hwasa and I already kind of knew that Moonbyul was going to confess to you."

"You what?" Solar's eyes widened. Hwasa groaned as Wheein nudged her to continue on with the explanations. Staring at the pair of maknaes, Solar demanded, "What is this that you haven't told me?"

"The thing is, Wheein kind of had a little emotional mess up with Moonbyul before she confessed to you. We couldn't tell you. Well, Wheein forced me not to tell you until Moonbyul had confessed to you. So that's why...yep. That's why. That's all." 

"So Wheein, you liked Moonbyul even before?" 

Hwasa wanted to slap her forehead in exasperation. Everyone else around her seemed to have a brain that malfunctioned whenever it came to relationships. "Yes. Unnie. Wheein liked Moonbyul. And Moonbyul liked you. And now Moonbyul likes Wheein back. Is should be clear enough." She then turned to the curled up girl next to her. "Solar's right about one thing though, Wheein. Are you sure? I don't want to see you hurt again." 

Wheein's grin in response said more than enough. Hwasa could see the joy radiating from her eyes as she nodded. It was the first time she had seen Wheein so upbeat since the incident last week. She had missed seeing this little puppy this happy and excited. Moonbyul. You better treat her right this time. Sweeping the girl into a crushing hug, Hwasa mumbled to her, "Alright. Be happy, ok? Tell me if Moonbyul does anything bad. I'll smack her for you."

Laughing, the two best friends began tussling on top of the couch. Solar, however, was still quietly lost in thought.

 

-----

 

Being with Wheein unquestionably brightened Moonbyul's day.

As SM piled more and more work on Moonbyul, she found her free time shrinking bit by bit. SM had been squeezing all their releases close together lately and planned even more in the upcoming month. Moonbyul was even dragged from her typical Red Velvet work to go assist in producing other artists' songs. She grumbled, but she still did her job. 

Though her job stressed her out these days, she could always look forward to when Wheein would stop by her work place. By now, the front desk guards recognized the little girl from her frequent visits and would tease around with her before letting her in to see Moonbyul. And Wheein no longer needed a guide as her feet walked surely and directly towards Moonbyul's work room.

"Moonbyul! I'm hereeeeee!" squealed Wheein as she skipped around the desk to give Moonbyul a kiss. "How have you been?"

"I was feeling terrible. But now that you came, so much better," laughed Moonbyul. Wheein stuck her tongue out at Moonbyul's cheesiness and put down the bag she had brought with her.

"Well, you do kind of look terrible. No offense. I still love you though. But seriously, how hard are they working you these days?" Wheein frowned as she brushed her thumbs underneath Moonbyul's red eyes. Looking to the side, she saw the empty cans of Monster and Red Bull lining the recycling. "Do you even sleep? Jeez, you're crazy." She sat down on Moonbyul's lap, hugging the girl by the neck and giving her another longer, deeper kiss. 

"Ah, Wheein I'm at work," muttered Moonbyul. Her body betraying her, she leaned in for another. "We really shouldn't be doing this. What if my boss walks in."

"You hypocrite." Wheein poked Moonbyul's nose, giggling. "Here, I brought some food for you. And some coffee. You don't look like you've been eating well." As she spoke, Wheein swept her arms around Moonbyul's waist, feeling how thin it was. She gave Moonbyul another accusing gaze. "You make people worry too much Moonbyul. It's good that you're dedicated towards your work. But you have to take care of yourself too."

Moonbyul rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly. Wheein was right about everything. She had been skipping meals lately and she couldn't remember the last time she had more than 3 hours of sleep a night. Curse SM and their release schedules. She hadn't even been able to properly meet Wheein outside of work for a real date other than a quick dinner or a cup of coffee. She felt apologetic to the younger girl, but Wheein had never complained. 

"Thanks for coming again." Moonbyul rested her chin on Wheein's head and embraced her tightly. "I know I've kind of been a terrible girlfriend lately, but I'll make it up to you once all this work is done. I promise."

"Somewhere fun?" Wheein perked up in excitement, jolting Moonbyul's head in the process.

"Of course. Anywhere you want." Laughing, Moonbyul rubbed her chin. She turned the other girl around so they were both facing the front. Resting her head on Wheein's shoulder, Moonbyul wrapped her free arm around Wheein's body as she began to continue her work. They sat comfortably like that, Wheein feeding Moonbyul food every so often while Moonbyul would land soft kisses on Wheein's cheek in return. 

 

 

Being with Wheein also helped Moonbyul forget about her feelings for Solar.

At first it had been awkward. Wheein hadn't forced Moonbyul to come over to their dorms after that first time, knowing Moonbyul would still not feel at ease being in the same room with all of them, 

And so, Moonbyul was reasonably distressed when their ceo had commissioned her to help them for their next Immortal Songs performance, to remix 'Wonderful Confession'. Basically, she could no longer outright avoid meeting Mamamoo as a whole. Wheein had comforted her after she heard about it, telling her it was ok to turn down the job if she wanted. 

Professional. Stay professional. Moonbyul steeled herself. She ended up accepting the job offer, partly because she enjoyed her previous experiences working with the trio, and partly because she needed an excuse to force herself to stop hiding. Swinging open the door to the RBW building room, she saw the girls inside stop talking as she entered. "H-Hello, guys. It's good to work with you all again."

"Moonbyul! Stop dawdling by the door! Come on." Wheein came over to drag Moonbyul by the hand, pulling her onto a chair next to them all. "Wow, Hwasa, Solar, you guys are so quiet. Ya'll need to stop acting as though someone died." Wheein raised her eyebrows, staring at the three silent people in turn. "I'm surprised you're the same Hwasa. I thought at least you would try to help me make this atmosphere less tense."

"Well, I'm not trying to be awkward here. It's just that...I kind of slapped Moonbyul pretty hard the last time I saw her." Hwasa bit the inside of her cheek as Wheein and Solar turned to look at her. "I mean, it was for a good reason--"

"Don't worry about that. It was reasonable." Moonbyul's face finally relaxed into a crooked grin as she punched Hwasa's shoulder. "I got to say though, have you been working out? That was the heaviest slap I've ever felt in my life." 

"So weak." Hwasa squeezed Moonbyul's cheek, pulling slightly. "I may have gone slightly overboard that time. But I'm ready to hit you anytime again. You better watch yourself with our Wheein here."

"Aww, stop teasing my Moonbyul." Wheein came over to tug Hwasa's hands off her girlfriend. She then brought her chair over to sit in between the two, stopping Hwasa from jumping Moonbyul, who was sticking her tongue out and provoking Hwasa. "Moonbyul! Focus--"

"Yes. Focus. We should get to work." Solar finally spoke out. 

"She's right. The ceo did pay for me to work with you guys after all," chuckled Moonbyul. 

Moonbyul had thought that it would be unbearable. That just seeing Solar would make her heart twist in pain. However, when she had first come into the room and seen the girl who had rejected her staring at her, she had been nervous but her heart had been calm. Hearing her voice again did not faze her either. From the corner of her eye, Moonbyul could see Wheein's slightly tense face stare at hers. 

She reached over to grab and squeeze Wheein's hand. She couldn't let Wheein feel scared or insecure, so she decided to take the lead. "Sorry guys, I got too excited seeing my girlfriend again." Looking towards Wheein with tender eyes, Moonbyul saw how Wheein's face slowly took on a pinkish tint. She leaned forward, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Hey." Hwasa motioned towards the two. "You realize we're all still here right? Try to at least keep it in until we finish alright? Jeez, you new couples are annoying." She pulled Wheein a bit further away from Moonbyul, smirking as she saw the two pout at the same time. "Ok. Now, let's begin on the song."

-----

 

It was not quite the same though. 

Things were better for sure. Solar and Moonbyul no longer hesitated when they spoke to each other. Their conversations became light again and they didn't immediately look away when they made eye contact.

However, Solar noticed Moonbyul had stopped initiating skinship with her. It was reasonable though. Of course, since Moonbyul was with Wheein now, she shouldn't be going around clinging to others. Maybe Moonbyul didn't want to accidentally give her the wrong idea either.

Solar could not deny that she missed some of it. Their friendship was certainly normal enough again, but it just didn't feel as though they were as close as they were before. Whenever they would meet, the four of them, Moonbyul would even give Hwasa a hug before entwining her arm with Wheein's. All Solar got was a smile and a greeting. It was not like she had any right to complain though. After all, she was part of the whole reason everything was like this.

Solar chose to focus on her work. Now, that mainly consisted of her filming for We Got Married. However, she couldn't help but be distracted as she spent time with Eric, mind wandering to the thought of Moonbyul and Wheein. How were their dates like? Was it anything like the ones she had with Eric? 

Noticing her state, Eric would ask, "Solar, are you ok? You look a little out of it. Is something bothering you?" 

She would then snap out of her daze, laughing to cover up her temporary lapse of attention. "Sorry, schedules have just been hectic for Mamamoo lately. Must be getting to me." 

Solar told herself that it was just her looking out for her member. After all, as the leader, she had the responsibility of watching out for her members, right? It was also important for the leader to make sure scandals didn't leak out. They had yet to reveal the relationship to the public, and they hoped to keep it that way. Leader duties. Typical responsibilities.

 

 

Eric and her had just finished another filming for the variety show. As they were about to leave, Eric called out to her. "Do you want to get dinner together? We didn't get to eat as much for filming this time, so I'm a little starved."

At that, Solar giggled. The two of them had been on quite a few food adventures for the past few episodes. She too was a little hungry after they had filmed their search for housing. "All right. Where do you want to go?"

"I know this amazing small restaurant." Eric held the taxi door open for Solar to get in before entering himself. "You won't be disappointed."

Nodding in anticipation, Solar quickly sent a text to her members and manager, telling them she would be going to eat with Eric.

 

 

"Table for two!" At Eric's call, the waiter led them to a small table by the window. As they followed him, Solar looked around the cosy restaurant. Not bad. How quaint. Suddenly, she frowned. She recognized the mass of wavey brown hair that was bent down, focused on her phone.

"Wheein?"

At the sound of her name, the girl looked up in surprise. "I-I....wait Solar? What are you doing here? Oh my god, you're with Eric?" 

"I should be asking you that, Wheein. Why are you here?" Solar blushed as Wheein snickered at the two flustered 'newlyweds'. 

Before she could respond, a familiar voice behind them said, "What's going on Wheein?" 

"Moonbyul!"


 

*Wow this is definitely one of my longer chapters. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for all the love!