Ch 12

She loved her music

Cold morning light seeped between the gaps of the curtain onto the bed. Crap. Did I forget to close the blinds again? Groggy, Moonbyul swung herself into a sitting position on the side of her bed. Whatever. It's probably time to wake up anyways. Nursing her pounding head, she headed to the window to completely open the curtains, bathing the dim room in light.

"Mmm?" 

Moonbyul whipped her head around at the unexpected sound. An intruder? She watched as the small, curled up lump on the chair shrugged her blanket off, stretching as she stood up. 

"Moonbyul? Why are you just standing there like that?" Wheein headed towards the frozen Moonbyul, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Aish! It's so bright! What time is it?"

"Wheein. Why--argh!" Moonbyul pressed her hand against her forehead as another round of pain pierced through her hand. How much did I end up drinking last night?

"Are you ok?" Wheein rushed forward to help Moonbyul into a sitting position. "Jeez, Moonbyul, if you're going to drink, at least learn your limits! You know how hard it was to carry you up the stairs?" Flicking her forehead, Wheein chided her before continuing, "Sit here. I'll get you some water since you must be thirsty." Moonbyul saw her leave the room and soon heard the bustling of glassware and the tap running in the kitchen. 

Moonbyul was thankful for that brief moment of solitude. She wracked her brains, trying to remember how exactly this situation had arisen. She had been drinking alone last night, as she recalled. Then there was a blurry memory of Wheein showing up. How Wheein had even found her in the first place, Moonbyul had no idea. Wait, Seulgi...damn it I'm going to get you Seulgi. And then they talked. Moonbyul wasn't quite sure of what they had talked about, but she hoped she hadn't made too big a fool of herself.

But then her eyes opened and she inadvertently cursed under her breath. Moonbyul was a heavy drinker when the situation required it, but she prided herself on her ability to stay relatively under control and not black out. Well, she usually prided herself on her tolerance. However, this time, it was this very tolerance that shocked her back to that crystal clear memory of last night, the last memory she had of the episode. Of kissing Wheein. 

"Here's some water. You need to drink up; you're dehydrated. And then take a shower. Your clothes stink of alcohol." Wheein wrinkled her nose as she handed Moonbyul the water. 

"T-Thanks." Moonbyul accepted the glass and took a sip, mind in a turmoil. Should she bring it up? Would Wheein bring it up? Should she fake ignorance? She took another sip, eyes following Wheein who was busy checking her phone for missed calls and messages. 

I should bring it up. Moonbyul was terrible at lying, and everyone around her knew it. Her face always gave her away. Clearing , Moonbyul spoke, "S-So, Wheein, about last night, thanks for bringing me back safely."

"Of course! You think I'd just leave you there drunk and asleep?"

"R-right. A-And do you remember everything? Everything that happened? I mean, you weren't drunk as well?" Moonbyul stumbled over her words in nervousness.

"Well, you did force that one drink on me, but I'm sure I was pretty sober." Wheein chuckled, but her eyes were unreadable. "Unlike you, right Moonbyul?"

"T-then, about that kiss--"

Wheein cut off Moonbyul before she could continue. "Take your shower first Moonbyul. Don't say or do anything rash. And I won't let you run away from this again. So take your shower. Think." Wheein headed out of the room with her phone. "I need to make some calls and stuff. I kinda forgot to tell them where I went last night. I'll be using your living room."

 

 

 

Moonbyul had no choice but to shower. But Wheein was right as usual. She really needed some time to think. Shivering as the cold water shot out, Moonbyul closed her eyes, trying to get her thoughts in order.

She found herself getting more confused at her own emotions. She had thought that she would not hesitate to try to shut out the incident, to push it all into the past.

She had tried to do that at first, back in the room. That had been her plan. But now, a seed a doubt sprouted as she let the water soak into her hair and trickle down the lines of her body. 

She could not understand why Wheein had stayed. Start over. That had been their agreement. 

It had been stupid of Moonbyul, for sure. The pain of Solar's rejection and We Got Married and the drinks had made her rash and reckless. Wheein's arrival had somehow riled her up. Maybe she had just been hurt at the time. Maybe she had just wanted some comfort. 

It could have been the alcohol, she tried to tell herself. Sure, the liquor had helped numb her pain. Sure, the liquor may have clouded her mind. But in the end, the liquor had done what it had always done. It made her stupid. Stupid but honest.

Do I like Wheein? Moonbyul honestly didn't know. Do I deserve to like Wheein? Moonbyul didn't know that either. After all, she had rejected the girl. Only to be rejected herself.

She didn't hate the girl. That was the only thing she knew for sure. They had only shared fond memories together. Moonbyul always showered Wheein with deep affection and plenty of skinship. But she had always thought it nothing more than friendship. 

Now...now what though? Moonbyul was flustered. Because Moonbyul was no longer sure it was only friendship. Not only from Wheein's point of view---that had been confessed already. This time, Moonbyul too felt the inkling of something more.

Feelings, however, were something Moonbyul couldn't be sure of. Not after the mess she had made. Not after the mess she had come from. Were these feelings fallout from Solar's rejection? She could never forgive herself if she acted on those feelings and they turned out to be nothing more than an illusion. She doubted Wheein would be able to forgive either, not this time. 

Alright. I got it. Moonbyul turned off the water firmly and got dressed, preparing to go meet Wheein in the living room. 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, Wheein had been in the living room, trying to clean up the small mess she had made. In her daze last night, she had forgotten to tell anyone where she had went. Her phone was bombarded with texts and missed calls from her members and her manager. Sighing, Wheein began to sift through the list. 

She called her manager first, apologizing for not telling anyone where she had gone last night. The manager spent a good ten minutes lecturing her on responsibility as an idol, on communication, on everything she could think of, including drinking. I didn't even drink that much geez. Just one shot. Shouldn't have told her about the bar.

Once her manager's anger was quenched, Wheein felt confident that the manager would tell the members that she was ok. She decided to just send a quick text to Hwasa, her best friend. 

W: Has manager-unnie told you guys yet?

H: WHEEIN YOU LITTLE ***** You finally decided to respond! Do you know how worried I was?

W: Sorry, sorry! I kind of just forgot...

H: Where are you? Manager-unnie just told us you slept over at a friend's.

W: I'm kinda actually at Moonbyul's. 

H: YOU WHAT?!!!?!

W: Yeah..things kind of just happened this way.

H: What do you mean? What kind of things could ever lead to that? 

As Wheein was about to type her response, she heard Moonbyul's soft footsteps enter the living room. 

"Thanks for waiting Wheein." Moonbyul came over, pulling Wheein's arm to seat both of them down on her couch. "Let's talk."


 

*So, maybe some of you have noticed but I tend to like ending chapters on an ambiguous note. It's fun, makes it a little more tense, and helps me actually think of something to write next chapter (cough cough). 

As usual, enjoy the chapter and thanks for reading! Might get a little busier in a bit so chapters may be a little more spaced out.