Ch 10

She loved her music

"Moonbyul! Hey, what's up? What did you want to talk about?" Solar bounded across the room as soon as Moonbyul opened the door to her apartment to let her in. Moonbyul chuckled as the ever so energetic Solar made herself comfortable sprawled over her couch. 

It had been a week now since Wheein's and Moonbyul's talk at the cafe. Since their agreement to start over. It seemed to be working though. At least far as Moonbyul could tell. Their conversations over the phone were light and casual and comfortable. Moonbyul would say something and Wheein would laugh, her contagious giggle causing Moonbyul to begin laughing too. Same as usual. 

Yet whenever Moonbyul suggested that she go over to visit, Wheein would stutter and then all of a sudden Hwasa would in to take over the phone. And then she would fiercely demand to know if Moonbyul had gone to talk to Solar yet. Each time, Moonbyul could only admit that she hadn't, and then Hwasa would snort, saying "Unnie, stop wasting time" and hang up with Wheein trying to quickly mutter an apology before the call cut off.

So, Moonbyul finally gathered her courage together. But the sight of Solar laying on the couch looking at her expectantly made her thoughts fall into disarray. Crap. How in the world did Wheein ever manage to do this? Confess? She rubbed her sweating palms together as she sat down on the other edge of the couch. "It's been a while since it was just the two of us hasn't it?"

"Aww Moonbyul. Were you lonely?" Solar grinned as she teased Moonbyul, reaching over to pat her cheek. 

It's things like this. It's these actions that make me fall for you, you know. Moonbyul sighed as she responded, "Yeah, I guess you could say that. We've all been so busy lately." She gulped before she continued. "Y-You have your We Got Married shooting too. How is that by the way? I watched your first episode you know. They gave you two quite a climatic meeting didn't they?"

"Oh my gosh, don't even get me on that, Moonbyul! I nearly choked on my water when the producers first told me about that concept! But it turned out to be pretty popular among the viewers."

"T-That's good to hear. How's it like though? You know...being married..acting in love. With Eric Nam." Moonbyul felt the name roll off her tongue in slight irritation.

"Eric? Well he's been pretty sweet and kind so far. I'm glad I actually got to film with someone funny rather than someone serious and uptight." 

"H-Hah. Wow Yongsun--" Moonbyul raised her eyes to stare straight at Solar, "--don't tell me you're actually falling in love with him?" She forced a chuckle through her teeth as she awaited Solar's answer. 

"Love? Not love, I don't think. But he's still a great guy." Solar rolled around on the couch, eventually laying her head down on Moonbyul's lap.

Of course. She has to make this hard for me doesn't she? Moonbyul sighed and gently pushed Solar back into a seated pose facing her. 

"Moonbyul~~" Solar pouted, aegyo leaking through as she complained about the change in position. 

"Sorry Yongsun-ah. Just listen to me for a minute." She grabbed Solar's hands in her own. Shushing Solar, who was about to speak up, she cleared . "Promise me one thing before I say anything though. Don't freak out."

"Ok..." Fidgeting in Moonbyul's grip, Solar's squirming stilled the moment she heard Moonbyul's next words. 

"I-I love you. I fell in love with you ever since we first met at dinner. I fell in love with your smile that could light up any room you walk into. I fell in love with your crazy laugh that could cheer up the gloomiest room. I fell in love with your cringy aegyo, your beautiful voice, your everything." Moonbyul caught her breath after she spilled out all those words she had held back.

But why won't she say anything.

"Yongsun-ah? I'm sorry I sprung this on you so suddenly. You don't have to respond to me immedi--"

"I-I'm sorry, Moonbyul. I don't see you that way." Solar hung her head as responded to Moonbyul. She slid her hands out of Moonbyul's suddenly slackened grip. "I can't respond to your feelings. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She repeated her last words as Moonbyul's silence continued. "I-I hope this doesn't end up driving us apart, Moonbyul. O-Our friendship means a lot to me as well." She got off the couch awkwardly and coughed. "I-I think I'll just leave first. Give you some time and space. Right. B-Bye then."

Moonbyul did not raise her head as the door clicked close behind her. But she could not mistake the rush in Solar's footsteps as the other girl left.

Stupid. I'm so stupid. Moonbyul howled in her mind as she curled up clutching her head.

-----

Solar got out of the taxi, heading back to the dorm she shared with the rest of her members. Her steps slowed as Moonbyul's confession replayed in her mind.

Moonbyul was in love with me? How could that, how did that even happen? Solar fumbled for her apartment keys in her bag. As she reached for it, her fingers got caught in a small metal bracelet. This bracelet...Moonbyul got this for me. She took it out, turning it over in her hands, the carved sun on the inside reflecting against the dim fluorescent bulb lighting the hall. Had I known..Damn it I shouldn't have accepted it. Oh god, have I just been leading Moonbyul on this whole time? 

While she was lost in thought, Solar accidentally let go of the bracelet and it rolled off to the side. She bent down, reaching out to grab it. But should I really? Would it be better to just leave it? To forget it? Shaking her head at the brief impulse to discard the bracelet, Solar picked it back up, brushing off specks of dust and dirt that had clung on. This was a heartfelt gift. How could I be so dumb as to throw that away. She carefully placed it back in her bag and opened the door into the dorm. 

"Unnie, you're home!" Hwasa called out to her. Both of the maknaes were sitting in the living room, munching on popcorn and watching a movie. "Where'd you go so late?"

"I...talk to me a bit for a moment, ok?" Sensing the seriousness in her tone, Hwasa and Wheein turned off the TV and waited for Solar who sat down, running her fingers through her hair. "I was just with Moonbyul. She...she confessed to me. That she loves me."

Hwasa and Wheein gave each other a glance that Solar completely failed to notice. "Oh my gosh, Solar, really?" Hwasa faked an enthusiastic tone while Wheein mindlessly clapped and smiled on the side. "So what happened next?"

"I said no."

"YOU SAID WHAT?" Solar looked taken aback at the roar that came out of Hwasa's mouth. Meanwhile, Wheein's hands froze mid-clap.

"Uh, I kind of rejected her. Because I didn't feel the same way." Solar didn't quite know why, but she was feeling very intimidated as she attempted to explain the situation to her members. "Honestly, I didn't know she felt that towards me--"

"Bet you didn't," Hwasa mumbled sarcastically.

"-say what, Hwasa? Anyways, I just...couldn't accept her feelings. And now I'm worried. Because she's a friend to all of us and I don't want things to get awkward between us all because of feelings-"

"Too late for that," muttered Hwasa in a low tone.

"-did you say something Hwasa? Well, because of this, I wanted to talk to you all to discuss what to do next and ask for your opinions."

"How is Moonbyul though, Solar?" Wheein brought up the other girl's name hesitantly. "Was she ok?"

"Moonbyul? Ah..I'm not quite sure. She kind of looked down as I left. I didn't want to make things too awkward by staying too long."

"So she's alone right now?" Wheein bit her lip as she thought about Moonbyul. Is she ok? 

Hwasa nudged Wheein, noticing her worried expression. "Hey. Are you seriously worrying about her? You can't have forgotten already.." 

Solar was lost in her thoughts, and did not notice the exchange between the other two. Wheein took advantage of this and punched Hwasa secretly, hissing, "I know! It's not like I can't worry about her though! A-As a friend, of course."

At that, Hwasa shrugged and slid over to shake Solar out of her daze and give her the advice she wanted.

Wheein, on the other hand, grabbed her phone and sent Moonbyul a quick text.

W: Moonbyul? You ok?

Minutes passed without an answer. Wheein joined the conversation with Hwasa and Solar, giving half-hearted answers and suggestions while keeping an eye on her phone. But minutes turned to hours, and still no response. Frustrated, Wheein sent off another text before she went to sleep.

W: You're not ok. I'll go visit you at work at SM tomorrow after I finish my schedules. 

Wheein sighed and rolled over on her bed, falling asleep thinking of how she would comfort the other girl tomorrow.

-----

-An hour after Solar left-

Rring. Rring. Moonbyul lifted her head up, checking out the caller ID. Kim Do Hoon. Crap. She quickly blew her nose and downed some water before answering.

"Hello."

"Yes, this is Moonbyul."

"Right, sorry for calling you quite late."

"It's ok sir. Did you need something?"

"Are you ok by the way? Your voice sounds kind of hoarse. Are you getting sick?"

"Ah it's nothing sir. Just food that went down the wrong way."

"That's good then! Since you're not sick, would you consider doing me a favor?"

"A favor?"

"Yes. As you know, our Solar is on We Got Married these days."

Moonbyul grimaced. "I do know. What does that have to do with your favor?"

"The producers called and want someone to go sit in as a panel member. Someone close to her, to comment on the couple. I thought of Hwasa and Wheein first of course, but they're both busy tomorrow afternoon. Then I realized you would be perfect too though! Friendship born from creating music, something like that, right?"

We Got Married? Panel? Me? Right after...Moonbyul's head just hurt thinking about the ceo's sudden request. How was doing something like guesting on their marriage show supposed to help her get over the rejection? But Moonbyul was never good at saying no. "Of course sir. I'll do it. Just send me the details by email tomorrow morning."

"Thanks Moonbyul! I knew I could count on you!" With that he hung up. 

Tomorrow's going to be a fun day.

 


 

 

* Yay 10 chapters! And finally some Moonsun! Some brief Moonsun...sorry guys. I've been trying to stick with the rl timeline for Mamamoo as you may have  noticed,, but sometimes things don't quite happen the way I'd like. So I'll probably twist some things. Sorry. But thanks for reading and commenting!