Ch 4

She loved her music

"I-I mean, yes Moonbyul, right?" Wheein stammered. She had almost forgotten the crowd that was standing right there. "Y-you must have come around to our fanmeets before." She blabbered on, trying to cover her nervousness, while Hwasa eyed her from the side with raised eyebrows. 

Moonbyul's lips parted in surprise. She hadn't expected the girl to remember the incident from way back then. Being the more cool-headed between the two, she decided to play it off, worried about Wheein's public image. "Right, right! I watch your stages all the time! I can't believe I get to finally meet you up close like this!"

Wheein's face fell for a brief second. Had Moonbyul forgotten about her already? Even when all she herself could think about was her... She shook her head, quickly getting her emotions under control. She paused for a moment, staring at Moonbyul, thinking hard while Moonbyul just looked confusedly back. 

"Um, so will you sign my album or..."

"Right! Sorry." Wheein looked back down at the album handed in front of her. She quickly scribbled a few lines onto Moonbyul's copy and handed it back. "I was just thinking of what to write" She smiled sweetly. "Thanks for coming to support us!" In a lower tone, she continued, "Do read it WELL, alright?" 

Moonbyul scratched her head as she took back her album, perplexed. As she walked off, Wheein stared at her back, straining to see whether Moonbyul had read her message or not. The next fan in line soon came up, blocking her view. Frustrated, she could only give up and continued on with the endless signing. 

-------------

(XXX)xxx-xxxx. 

It was a phone number. Moonbyul stared in shock at the hastily scribbled digits. Seriously, what is that girl even thinking? How can an idol like her just throw around her number like that? 

It would be a lie to say she wasn't extremely excited though. She was still feeling a little down over the fact that she had not gotten to meet Mamamoo while making their song. Furthermore, when would a chance like this ever happen again? 

She opened a messaging app and hesitantly entered in the number. What would she even say for this first message?

How have you been?  No, that made them seem too close. Moonbyul didn't want to make assumptions. She backspaced.

Why did you give me your number?  Damn, this really made her tone seem harsh and accusing. She erased it again.

"URGHH!! How can it be so hard to think of a good greeting?" Moonbyul groaned to herself, rolling around on her bed and grabbing her head in irritation.

Hours later, after surfing the web searching "Ways to start a conversation online", she decided to just introduce herself again. Smooth, Moonbyul. Real smooth. She scoffed, throwing her phone to the side while she lay back waiting for a response.

------

After the fansigning event, Mamamoo was back at their dorms relaxing. Wheein kept glancing at her phone every couple minutes. Why hasn't she sent anything yet? It's been hours. She did read what I wrote right? She couldn't be ignoring me on purpose could she?  Damn it Moonbyul, why do you have to...

Zzz. Her phone buzzed and the screen lit up. She snatched it up hurriedly. "One new message from an unknown sender" Fingers shaking, she opened the message.

M: Hi! This is Moonbyul, from the fansign event you guys had today.

That's all? Wheein furrowed her brows in annoyance. It took her hours to come up with that simple message? I guess she really forgot about me. Am I really just another member of Mamamoo to her? I have to know, I must!

W: Hey Moonbyul! I'm Wheein, but you probably already knew that.

M: Lol yep, of course I know. I'm a little surprised though.

W: Why is that?

M: You're an idol. Do you really give out your number so easily like that?

Wheein read the message. She was right. What in the world had she been thinking at the moment? If anyone had found out, it would be a catastrophe. Excuses. She needed an excuse.

W: Well, to be honest, while recording for our album, I saw your name listed among the producers. Is it that strange to contact a producer of our album?

A few minutes passed. Wheein was worried she had said something wrong until her phone vibrated.

M: Oh so you knew about that? That I helped produce songs for your album?

Wheein pondered for a while. Of course she would know, right? Her phone buzzed again.

M: I'm impressed though. We never even met for that and yet you were able to recognize me immediately.

Oh crap. Wheein stared at the line of text, wondering how she would respond. From what Moonbyul had said, it seemed between the two, Wheein was the only one who remembered what had happened that day during the music show. Should she bring it up?  It was not like she actually got the chance to introduce herself that day. Her screen lit up again.

M: Well, anyways, you really ought to be more careful. You can't be so innocent and trusting, you know. People will try to take advantage of you. Like that guy backstage all those months ago.

She remembered. Moonbyul remembers me!!!  Wheein squealed in happiness before quickly replying.

W: Wait, you remember that too?

M: Of course, how could I not remember something like that? Saving someone from my bias group is not something I get to do every day, I'll have you know.

W: But today, during the fansign, you didn't acknowledge me when I called your name.

M: Tsk, tsk, tsk. Wheein, you know you're an idol right?

W: I suppose you're right. Haha I guess I was too shocked.

Gathering her resolve, Wheein decided to make an even bolder move.

W: Talking just over text like this is difficult. How about we talk in person over coffee or something?

Moonbyul raised an eyebrow at the message and chuckled to herself. She decided to tease the cute little idol a bit more.

M: Have I reminded you that you're an idol? Are idols supposed to be like this?

W: I mean, since you're a producer and a business partner of sorts, it would be fine right?

M: Still, I am almost a complete stranger to you. Don't you guys have restrictions on going out? What if sasaeng fans find us? What if I'm a scary sasaeng fan myself?

W: I guess you're right....

W: Sorry for bringing this up.

M: I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Of course I'd be willing to meet you. Sorry, I just like to tease a lot.

Wheein felt her smile growing as Moonbyul agreed. They quickly set up a meeting later that night at a small cafe. Excitement bubbled in her stomach as she thought about their meeting later.

------

Stretching herself out on her bed, Moonbyul decided to rest a bit before meeting Wheein later that night. As she felt her eyes begin to droop, her phone rang.

She looked at the caller ID. Kim Do Hoon. Eyes widening, she picked up the call, adopting a quick business tone.

"Yes, sir? How are you today?"

"Moonbyul, it's good to hear from you again. The songs you produced were amazing! And your help in the title track, You're the Best, was astonishing too. I'm glad we worked together on this project!"

"Of course sir, I enjoyed the opportunity as well."

"The reason I called you today was to ask if you would be interested in working together again? Thanks to your help as well, Mamamoo is now quite popular, as you may have heard."

"Yes! I saw that they won on several music shows!"

"Recently, due to their rising popularity, LG reached out to us. Apparently they want us to make a commercial song for their new G5. I want to know. Are you interested, Moonbyul?"

Was it even a question worth thinking over?

"Sir, I'd be delighted to work with them again!"

"Good. Let's meet tonight to discuss the details, maybe over dinner or drinks."

"I'll see you then. Thanks again!" Moonbyul put down her phone, ecstatic.

Suddenly, she remembered. Oh . Wheein.

--------------

Right after his call with Moonbyul, Kim Do Hoon went to the Mamamoo dorms.

"Guys, guess what? You've landed a promotional deal with LG! I need you guys to come with me tonight for a meeting to discuss this deal. We'll talk over dinner. I'll be paying."

Solar and Hwasa, hearing the news, screamed in joy, clasping each others hands and spinning around in happiness. Who knew if they were more excited by the promotional deal or over the free dinner.

Wheein, on the other hand, frowned slightly. Catching her expression, the ceo asked, "Is there something wrong?"

Fiercely shaking her head, she denied with a quick, "No, sir."

"Alright, then, I'll see you all later tonight! I'll tell your manager where and when to come." He left.

Picking up her phone, Wheein sighed, her excitement to meet Moonbyul dashed. She fired off a text to the other girl, hoping she would understand.

W: Hey I'm sorry something came up with the company. I don't think I'll be able to meet you tonight. I hope you forgive me.

M: It's alright! I actually was about to message you as well. Work came out of nowhere and I wasn't sure I'd be able to meet tonight. Next time then!

Next time. It was always next time.

--------------

Moonbyul met the ceo in a fancy restaurant. They began to talk about business, about suitable ideas for the style of song, about splitting of the profits as they waited for the food to arrive. While doing so, Moonbyul noticed the ceo looking down and frowning at his phone.

"Is everything all right, sir?"

"Ah it's nothing much. They're just a bit late."

"Late? Who?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you!" The ceo looked straight across at Moonbyul, who tilted her head to the side in confusion. "Remember how I said I felt guilty for not letting you meet Mamamoo for the previous work? Well, I decided to invite them along to this meeting, to let you meet them in person, since we will all be working together from now on."

Moonbyul felt her jaw drop. No way. No freaking way. "S-sir, I don't even know what to say. I mean.."

He interrupted. "Oh, they're here now! Let me go get them real quick."

Minutes later, he came back with 3 people behind him. "Girls, introduce yourself. This is Moonbyul, who will be the primary producer for your song for LG, alright? Don't worry, she's a great person and a real fan of you guys!"

Hwasa went first to the frozen Moonbyul. "Hey, what's up! I'm Hwasa of Mamamoo, their fatal maknae."

Wheein quickly stepped forward next, hands extending to grab Moonbyul's. Recovering from her shock at finding Moonbyul here, she shyly said, "And I'm Wheein. I'm the same age as Hwasa, and Mamamoo's cute, energetic puppy!"

Moonbyul smiled at that, mouthing "I know". Her shoulders relaxed a bit, disbelief in meeting Mamamoo slowly fading.

Finally, Solar walked forward. Moonbyul slowly released Wheein's hands and turned towards Solar. She found herself trapped in Solar's gaze, those chocolatey brown orbs drawing her in deeper and deeper. Her heartbeat suddenly became erratic.

"Saved the best for last right?" She flipped her hair slightly, and her perfume wafted across the space towards Moonbyul, who stiffened.

"I'm Solar, Mamamoo's childish leader, main vocal, vegetable dancer, blah blah blah" Moonbyul didn't get to pay too much attention to the rest of her sentence, because Solar smiled. And when she smiled, her face literally lit up, bright teeth flashing blindingly.

Pretty. Moonbyul couldn't take her eyes off her. So pretty.


*Annnnddddddddddddd there we have it. Moonsun. Just a teeny smidge of moonsun though. More to come. It's getting harder trying to think of the storyline. I want to give Wheebyul a chance though, so we'll also see some of that later. Thanks again for all the interest!