Ch 19

She loved her music

"At least 5 episodes. At least." Moonbyul threw her hands up, disbelief on her face. "That's what the producer and director told us after today. I thought we would be wrapping up this 'relationship' by the end of this month. But now, with this show we're in, I doubt that's going to happen since they keep pushing us to act all lovey-dovey on screen." 

"You're awfully fired up about this," noted Seulgi, who was helping Moonbyul rearrange her studio after the earlier barrage of cameras had left everything in a mess. 

"You try faking a relationship on screen."

"People do it all the time. Movie romances, drama developments, We Got Married."

"But it's different when your actual girlfriend is also in the room with you. Watching you flirt."

"Wheein knows it can't be helped."

"But you should have seen her face when the director told Solar to sit on my lap." 

"He told you guys to what?"

"I swear it's like he's more invested in this relationship than either Solar and I am. It was hard enough to turn down his request for us to kiss each other on the cheek. I wouldn't be here if that had happened. I'm just not sure if Hwasa or Wheein would be the one to kill me first." 

Seulgi tossed an eraser at Moonbyul's face, which was scrunched up in mock horror. "But I'm surprised. You're being so loyal to your girlfriend."

"Tsk. What kind of person do you think I am, Seulgi?" Moonbyul tossed a look of disdain towards her friend.

"I'm just saying.You're being forced by so many people to be together with another person, especially when that person is Solar. Someone you've actually liked before. You're telling me there's nothing remaining between you two?"

Moonbyul's hand slipped as she was returning a book back on the shelf, a loud thump accompanying the falling text. "Wheein is the one I love. I don't feel anything for Solar."

"You can't lie to me Moonbyul. I've known you since we were both young in the company. You've never had an interest in anything other than making music, until you met those two. And when you lie...you always have a habit of rubbing your fingertips together. See? You're doing it now." Seulgi swung herself off the desk and bent forward to pick up the book, handing it to Moonbyul, but the girl didn't move. "So where's the lie at?"

"I do love Wheein." Moonbyul pursed her lips, eyes slanted in concentration. "But...I don't know. I feel like Solar's been strangely affectionate, even when we both know this is only a cover. I do kind of miss being close with her. When they tell us to do things like skinship, I can't help but feel somewhat reassured by her touch. I'm not sure what it is."

"Is it lingering feelings?"

"I...damn it all. It's confusing. One moment it's all tolerable and platonic, but the next, she gives me this intense stare that just messes with you, because even though it should just be an act, it just seems, feels too real." 

Seulgi tapped her chin in thought. "You know, when I watched that first episode, that's kind of what I thought too. That the way Solar acts with you seems so honest, as if you were in a real relationship."

"Solar's a damn good actress."

"Or maybe..." Her words trail off, and Moonbyul turns to see Seulgi eye cocked in a questioning gaze. 

"Don't be stupid, Seulgi," laughs Moonbyul, shoulders shaking at Seulgi's ridiculous implication. "There's no way Solar likes me. Don't you remember when she turned me down?" 

"Would you take her back if she liked you though?" 

Seulgi's sudden question startled Moonbyul, who stumbled back into her chair. 

Would she accept Solar's feelings? If what Seulgi was saying was even remotely possible would she take her back? Falling at first sight. First love. First rejection. How did it even make sense, for Solar to develop feelings after rejecting her?

It did confuse her. The simmering confusion, these mixed signals whenever they interacted. Were they sure enough for Moonbyul to act on? 

But Wheein. How could she ever even think of doing that to Wheein?

"No. I wouldn't." Moonbyul's voice grew firmer.

"But you still have feelings?"

"It's different. It's not quite the same as the feelings I have towards Wheein. It's not love."

"Are you sure?"

This time, Moonbyul did not hesitate when she responded with, "I'm positive."

Seulgi's face relaxed into a smile. "Good. I've had enough of you running around all lost all the time. It's about time someone made you think and be honest with yourself." She clapped Moonbyul on the back and left her studio. 

Honest. Moonbyul twirled a pen with her fingers, a habit she had when thinking deeply. Had she really been deceiving herself? But Seulgi's interrogation had indeed made her realize.

It had made her realize that the only face that came to mind, the one she wanted to see after a long day of work, the one she longed to kiss to sleep at night, was Wheein's.

Maybe I really ought to go talk to their ceo again. Find some way to break off this relationship with Solar despite the show. We've done enough. I deserve a break. And Wheein doesn't deserve to be hurt anymore.

---------

 

"Hwasa. Look at this." Wheein stared in dissatisfaction at her laptop screen.

"What is it?" 

"Moonsun is a trending search. Moonsun. That damn couple name the director gave to Solar and Moonbyul on our show during the first episode." Wheein ground her teeth, letting loose a huge sigh. 

"Wheein, chill. It's probably nothing. People will get over the excitement of the first episode soon enough."

"Have you seen the episode though? They were literally all over each other."

"You know the director asked them too. To be fair, Moonbyul spoke up and complained each time."

"She did, but..."

"Have more faith in your girlfriend. Even I'm falling for how much she's standing up for you. If I had someone like that...maybe i'll steal her."

"Hey! Moonbyul's mine!" Wheein growled as she smacked her best friend with a pillow. 

 

"Are you two fighting again?" Solar stood in the doorway, eyeing the strewn cushions, painting hanging askew, table on its side, and two laughing, panting best friends who were lying on the ground amidst the wreckage that had once been the living room. 

"She started it." Both of them raised an arm wearily to point at the other.

"You two..." Solar sighed as she remained standing at the doorway. "Wheein. Can we talk?"

"Sure." She crawled forward and pulled herself up using the couch. 

"Outside?"

"Oh..okay. Hwasa you clean up." Smiling impishly, Wheein bounded forward and grabbed Solar and fled the dorm. 

"DAMN IT JUNG WHEEIN!" roared Hwasa at the closed door. Sitting up, she began tossing the cusions back onto the couch, righting the table, picking up fallen debris. 

Ah. Solar must be talking to her about...well it's about time.

 

 

---Flashback---

"Why are you treating me to chicken all of a sudden?" Hwasa looked down suspiciously at the platter of wings and drumsticks before her. 

"Can't I? Eat up." Solar leaned on one elbow, picking up a piece herself and began to nibble at it. 

Seeing that Solar wasn't keeling over or spitting out foam, Hwasa loosened up and began to knaw ravenously on a drumstick herself.

Midway through her chicken, Hwasa asked, "But what's up? Seriously, this, out of nowhere?"

"I wanted to talk. I need your advice."

Hmm. Hwasa had an inkling of an idea of what Solar wanted to talk about when the older girl began fidgeting in her seat. 

"Go ahead. Ask anything."

"What do you think about this situation? With Moonbyul."

"It kind of irritates me."

"W-Well that was blunt."

"I thought you wanted honest."

"Yes, but...nevermind, just go ahead and say whatever you want."

Hwasa put down her chicken, staring at Solar seriously. "Wheein is my best friend. Even though she puts on a smile, it's not quite the same, not quite as true, especially lately. With the show. It's hurting her. And I hate seeing her hurt."

"O-Oh, I did realize she wouldn't be happy with this show."

"Not happy? Well, that's a bit of an understatement."

Solar bit her lip as she muttered, "I just don't know how to apologize to her for all this she's going through."

"Before that, let's talk a bit more honestly. Since I've got you here and all." Hwasa flexed her fingers, before pushing the plate of chicken to the side. "Let's talk about you."

"W-What's there to talk about?"

"You don't have to lie to me. Unlike you three, I can actually see all of this from an impartial perspective. And you've been pretty damn strange lately. About Moonbyul. About this 'relationship' you have to act out."

"I don't know--"

"Is it even an act anymore?" 

Solar dropped her gaze. 

"If you keep trying to keep it to yourself, Solar, you'll just end up with a whole lot of regret." 

"That's funny. Eric said the same thing." She put her head in her hands, eyes closed in thought. 

"Maybe because we're both right."

Solar felt tighten. "Y-You're right. I think...no, I know. I like Moonbyul."

When Hwasa didn't answer, Solar raised her head in confusion to see the girl staring back at her. 

"What?" asked Solar.

"Do you really?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you really like Moonbyul? Or is it something else."

Frustrated, Solar grabbed her glass of water and took a huge gulp. "What else could it be, Hwasa? I know you're probably pissed at me because Wheein's also your friend--"

"That's only part of why I asked."

"I have feelings for her, alright? Is that what you wanted to hear? I get jealous when I see them together. That could have been me. And to be honest, I'm mad at myself for actually liking this fake relationship I have to keep up with Moonbyul." 

"You've seen the two of them together. You've seen how much they love each other. You're saying you love Moonbyul as much as that?" Hwasa's stare bore right through Solar.

"I...towards Moonbyul...."

"Just answer me Solar. I'm not that much of an . You're my friend too. If your feelings are real, of course I'd support you." 

"I-If they're real?"

"What are you really jealous about, Solar? Is it Wheein? Is it their relationship? Or is it just some lingering regret? Because that's not enough to convince me." Hwasa crossed her arms.

It could have been me. That was the only thing Solar could keep in her mind. Did she deserve to fight again? Hwasa was right. There was certainly regret from rejecting Moonbyul. But was it love? 

"Well, you look like you need some time to think. Do think about it." Hwasa stood up, grabbing her jacket and bag. "When you've decided, I'd suggest for you to talk to Wheein first. She deserves to know. And you should be the one to tell her."

---Flashback end---

 

 

"You're looking so serious." Wheein leaned against the roof railing, warm summer air playing with her hair as the bustling night lights of the city slowly began to light up below them. "Is something up?"

Solar saw the younger girl looking at her with genuine worry and concern. She felt another pang of guilt run through her. She had really been too selfish lately, too unlike a leader, too ignorant of her members. 

She would make it right. "Wheein-ah. Are you happy?"

"O-Of course I'm happy! Wait, why? Is something really wrong?"

"I need to apologize about something." She paused, stepping forward to gently take Wheein's hands in hers as she gathered her courage, nearly losing her resolve at Wheein's confused, innocent eyes that looked back at her. 

"Yes?"

"I'm going to break up with Moonbyul. Soon. As soon as I can."

Wheein's jaw dropped open, but there was a glint of joy that flitted briefly across her eyes. Solar saw it. And then she knew that it was worth it, seeing the little puppy of Mamamoo once again beam and dance around with a light heart.

"Unnie, how is that an apology though?" 

"It's because I've been an . I've taken your girlfriend away from you, flirted with her in public, kissed her and started this whole mess."

"You mean..."

"Yeah. It was my fault to begin with." Solar let her hands drop to her sides. "I may have even wanted this mess."

Looking at her squarely in the eye, Wheein fought to keep her voice steady as she asked, "Do you like Moonbyul?"

"I already told you I'm breaking it off with her."

"I don't mean the public relationship! I mean, do you--"

"No. Not anymore." Solar pulled the girl in for a hug, words coming out in a whisper as she continued. "It's not my right. And it's not my fight." Releasing the frozen girl, she backed up, lips stretched in a soft smile. "Be happy, alright Wheein? And this talk never happened. Never. This is an order from your leader." 

Without waiting for an answer, she wheeled around and walked away. Wheein could hear the clanging of her heels echoing against the steps as she went down flight after flight of stairs. 

----------

 

Slap. 

Moonbyul pressed her hand against her stinging cheek, eyes widened in shock at Solar. 

"What was that for-"

Slap.

Moonbyul now cupped her other cheek, eyes starting to water from the pain. 

"Damn it Solar! What the hell-"

"We're done! I've had enough!" Solar crouched down, head tucked into her knees as Moonbyul bewilderedly watched the now sobbing girl in front of her.

 

She had, with Solar's request, accompanied the girl outside for the afternoon. Despite her pleading to Wheein, her girlfriend had agreed with Solar's request, even encouraging her to go out, into the public eye, with a girl she was trying her best to break up with. 

But then, the moment they had stepped into a somewhat populated area, Solar had slapped her. And then slapped her again. 

Moonbyul could hear the collective gasp from the onlookers as cameras began clicking furiously.

"What the hell are you doing?" She hissed to the kneeling girl, away from the direction of the cameras.

"Making things right." The soft whisper barely made it to Moonbyul's ears. "Now, just walk away. Don't ask. Just do it. I'll meet you back in the dorms later."

Moonbyul walked away. Gratitude fluttered in her heart as Solar's actions gradually became clear to her.

 

Hours later, another popular article soon popped up on the web. 

"Solar and Moonbyul no longer dating? Fans accounts claim the two have fought!"

 

Less than an hour later, both companies confirmed it.


 

 

*Sorry it seems so rushed! I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to go, and I thought just randomly throwing more in Wheebyul's way was kind of meh. I'm really no good at writing satisfying endings. I'll probably write a brief epilogue centered on Wheebyul interactions though. 

Hope you enjoyed reading the story! 

 

 

(On a completely unrelated note, I found out Minha and Euaerin left 9muses today while writing this, so it's been a sad, disappointing day.)