Ch 8

She loved her music

The phone lay on the floor. Moonbyul alternated her gaze between her phone and Wheein's face, unable to meet the other girl's eyes for more than a few seconds. 

"W-Wheein." Moonbyul clenched her fists, hating herself.

She could only hate herself. Hate herself for being oblivious. Hate herself for being unable to say anything. Hate herself for feeling sorry for Wheein when she was the sorriest one of all. 

For she realized. She had finally realized.

Wheein's confession had left her in a whirlwind of confused emotions. The sudden influx of messages then seemed to be a good excuse, a good distraction as she fumbled to wrestle control over her thoughts and feelings. 

Until Solar's announcement came. 

And then Moonbyul understood. Because when she met Wheein's gaze after, she could see her own reflection in Wheein's silent, staring orbs. And she recognized what she saw.

Because she had seen that expression many times before, on Wheein. An expression that would flicker briefly when they hung out together with Solar and Hwasa. One that would become more pronounced whenever they'd be all sitting together and Moonbyul would relentlessly wrap her arms around Solar's waist. One that Moonbyul saw, but disregarded until today. 

Hurt. Jealousy. Longing. 

"I-I..." Moonbyul choked on her words. "I-I have to go for now."

Wheein smiled sadly. "I can see that. You need to see Solar, don't you?"

Moonbyul didn't respond to that. She could only jerk her head slightly in assent. Standing up, she grabbed her jacket and phone to leave.

At the door, Moonbyul paused, turning around slightly. "W-we'll talk later, alright?" The door closed after her parting words, her footsteps echoing down the hall. 

After Moonbyul left. Wheein leaned back, alone, onto Moonbyul's couch. The movie was still playing in the background.

Wheein's shoulders shook. But this time, it was not in laughter. And this time, muffled sobbing accompanied the movie soundtrack as her sweater slowly became soaked, soaked by the tears that trickled down her face.

-----------------------------------------------------

Damn it! Moonbyul slammed her fists down on the steering wheel as she drove down the near empty streets. The cold night air whistled in from her rolled down windows as she recalled the night's events. 

She had originally planned to directly go meet Solar and talk about her casting. But the weight of her realized feelings crushed down upon her as she got into her car, and her rushed decision to meet Solar right away became a frightening predicament. Instead, she just drove off without any destination in mind, trying to sort out her feelings.

Furthermore, she had just left Wheein there alone in her apartment. Disgust in herself bubbled up and she wanted to smack herself for her rashness. She probably hates me now. How could she not? 

Wherever Moonbyul went, she seemed to only leave messes behind. And now, she was nearly about to go create another. 

She knew she loved Solar. She could not help but crave Solar's touch, to see her bright smile flashed her way whenever they met. 

Solar's actions were a mystery to her though. Sure, she would return Moonbyul's hugs with equal enthusiasm. She never shied away from any physical contact.

But is it love? Does she feel the same? That was what Moonbyul couldn't figure out, even as she tried to remember how their interactions had gone, straining to find a clue, a hint that pinpointed any differential treatment.

Moonbyul couldn't find any. 

She wasn't afraid to push the line. She would be fine doing things her way, being bold when there was nothing to lose. She would always push away anything discomforting out of her mind, choosing the easy path of obliviousness. 

But she was a coward. Afraid of anything and everything when it come to relationships with people. That's why she ran. Ran from Wheein who had much, much more courage than her. Ran from meeting Solar when the littlest spurt of unease and unsurety crossed her mind. 

 

Moonbyul parked her car by the Han river and got out, reclining on a patch of grass as she stared up at the bright night. 

She pulled her phone out of her pocket. I could really use some advice right now.

M: Seulgi, can I ask you something serious?

Sg: Moonbyul? Right now? 

M: Yeah. I don't ned you to come out personally though. Just need some advice.

Sg: Of course, shoot!

M: Alright. Just imagine this scenario. Someone has just realized her feelings for another person. The obvious thing to do at this point is probably confess right?

Sg: Hmm..yeah, I think that would be best. Even though not everyone is always brave enough to do the confessing.

M: Right, right. But now, what if, the person knows, just knows that the other person doesn't feel the same way? Like the other person has never treated her differently or shown any signs of interest back.

Sg: Huh. That's a bit harder...Are you positive the other person has no feelings, whatsoever?

M: I mean, it's hard to tell. It's not like she can read minds.

Sg: I still think it'd be good to confess though. It's better to be honest with these feelings, instead of letting them simmer. And the other person doesn't have someone else already?

M: No, not at the moment. 

Sg: Then there's nothing to stop you right? Go for it. 

M: But....There's kind of something else. 

Sg: What else could there be? 

M: What if, just what if...right before she realized her feelings, she accidentally hurt someone else?

Sg: Moonbyul, what the hell did you do?

M: I'm sorry. Thanks for the advice though. I'll see you guys at the company soon. 

Moonbyul sighed deeply. She didn't know what to do. 

Bzz. Bzz.

Is it Seulgi again? She probably wants to know more huh. She lifted her arm sluggishly to bring the screen into view.

2 new messages from Seulgi, Hwasa. 

Hwasa? Frowning, Moonbyul opened her chat. 

H: Moonbyul. Where are you? We need to talk. Now. 


 

*Short chapter, I know. Sorry for hurting Wheein all, but...I have no excuse. But I'll say this, this won't necessarily be the end of Wheebyul. As for Moonsun, We Got Married will be some catalyzing agent. Somehow. Once I actually manage to get the plot order straight in my head. Well, till next chapter then! Thanks for the interest and your comments!