Ch 11

She loved her music

"Thanks for coming! Moonbyul, right? Here, follow me while I explain! Have you watched any of our previous episodes of We Got Married?"

"Yep. I watched a few episodes before I came today, so I sort of understand what my job is." Moonbyul smiled as the hyper assistant led her towards the location of the filming.

"That's good then. All of the actual viewing material has been filmed already, so we've prepared the cuts we plan to release in this week's episode! You, along with the other regulars in the show, will be sitting together while you watch the clip. We have a few cameras set up to record you guys, so just think of natural reactions you would have to seeing your friend in that situation. Feel free to add in anything interesting you know about her as well!" The assistant winked toward Moonbyul as they reached the stage room filled with couches and the other panel members. 

"Hello everyone! Thank you for having me today!" Moonbyul bowed to each of the members as she greeted them. "I will do my best and I hope that you all guide me well please!" She went to sit down in an empty seat while making small talk with the rest of the members. 

 

"Alright, alright! We're about to begin filming now!" The director called out to the panel after the cameramen had finished setting up everything. "The clip will be playing on this screen here. Just remember to keep the feel natural, and you all are encouraged to spazz over the couple if you would like. Moonbyul, since you're here as Solar's friend, please share some stuff about her too!" At his cue, the screen flickered to life and the clip started. 

Moonbyul could not deny how nervous she was. She normally avoided situations like this, situations where she was required to go out into the public eye. Being in front of so many cameras flustered her. Furthermore she would be forced to talk about Solar. The girl who rejected her the day before. And talk about that very girl on a date with another person. Fun. Moonbyul was not sure which emotion was overwhelming her more right now. Nervousness or bitterness at the irony of the situation. But like a professional, Moonbyul stiffened and sat up as they began recording. Better get this over with. 

Noticing the other's confusion at the puzzles and clues, Moonbyul felt obligated to speak out. After all, that was what she was here for anyways.

"Yongsun. Solar's real name is Yong sun. That's why there's that little dragon plushie." Moonbyul explained patiently to the others. A toy dragon. So much like the one at the arcade. The one in the claw machine that I got for Solar, the one I spent so much to get after I saw her keep looking back at it. This job was getting a lot harder than Moonbyul expected. She clenched her fists as she endured minutes more of their cheesy interactions, of their innocent flirting. 

"Ah! GA..GA.." Moonbyul counted on her fingers. "It's the music scale notes! G and A correspond to So and La in music! SoLa is basically Solar's name. It's also part of her formal Mamamoo self-introduction." Moonbyul sat back, smugly, as she came up with the answer no one else had, not even the two now sitting in the taxi. But her conceit soon faded. What am I even trying to prove? The two in the taxi laughed nonstop as they talked. Moonbyul knew Solar enough to know she wasn't faking her excitement. 

That was what irritated her the most. That Solar wasn't faking. That every move she did, every thing she said towards Eric in the video seemed familiar. It was as though it could have been just another day of Moonbyul and Solar hanging out, talking, eating, before yesterday happened. The difference was that Eric wasn't like Moonbyul, one-sidedly clinging onto Solar. And from Moonbyul's view on the couch, she could see it all. See the small, shy glances Solar would give towards Eric. See her speech stutter, not because Eric was a stranger, but because Eric made her nervous in another, special way. 

It was a blessing when the video ended. Moonbyul excused herself quickly after thanking the staff. But the last scene, the one paused on the screen after the filming was over, stuck in her mind. For Eric had reached out to hold Solar's hands. And even though Solar had her head down, Moonbyul could well imagine the shy smile that would be on Solar's face.

-----

Wheein entered SM headquarters hesitantly, feeling out of place at the large building that stood for one of Korea's most powerful entertainment companies. But she was determined in her goal to find Moonbyul. Even after the girl refused to text her back since the night before, Wheein decided to come to find her at work since she was not at home. When the front staff told her that they hadn't seen Moonbyul all day either, she chose the next best option. She asked to go see the Red Velvet members. 

"Guys! It's been a while!" Wheein greeted the five cheerfully as they opened the door for her. "I hope my sudden visit didn't bother you too much. I just needed to come ask you guys something real quick. Have any of you seen Moonbyul today? Or know where she is right now?"

Irene tapped her chin, thinking. "I do know Moonbyul had her separate schedule today. Didn't she go film something related to you guys?"

"I'm surprised she actually agreed though. She hates being on camera, even for us." Wendy piped up on the side.

Growing confused, Wheein was about to ask what they were talking about until Seulgi clarified. "Right! She went for Solar's We Got Married thing. As a panel member." 

Oh . Wheein's eyes grew wide at Seulgi's statement. She shook Seulgi's shoulders frantically. "Where is she right now?" 

Wendy came forward to pull Wheein off Seulgi. "Wheein, what's wrong?"

"I..I..can't quite explain right now. Please, just tell me where Moonbyul is right now."

"Well, Moonbyul had actually invited us to go out to drink together tonight, just randomly. But since we still had to rehearse, and Yeri was underage anyways, we had to turn her down." Seulgi responded, though puzzled at Wheein's attitude.

"Drinking? Ah, Moonbyul, that idiot. Where?" Once Wheein secured the address of the bar from Seulgi, she ran off quickly with an apology and a promise to explain later.

-------

Damn it Moonbyul. Where are you? Wheein could barely see anything in the poorly lit establishment, and there was no chance of Moonbyul hearing her calls over the blaring of the music. That is, if Moonbyul was in any condition to answer her.

Finally, after searching for a few minutes, Wheein found Moonbyul at the furthest corner of the bar. There were quite a few bottles already in front of her, and from the looks of it, they were already empty. Moonbyul didn't even notice Wheein's arrival and just stared into a half empty bottle clutched in her hand. 

Wheein tried to pry the bottle from Moonbyul, to stop her drinking. Only then did Moonbyul raise her head up towards the little girl. "Wheein?" she slurred as her eyes struggled to focus on Wheein. "What are you doing here?"

"Moonbyul. You're a mess. Come on, let's get you back." Wheein gently grabbed her arm and tugged, trying to pull Moonbyul up onto her feet. But Moonbyul was a lot more persistent and refused, shaking off her hand and grabbing her bottle once more.

She took another large gulp and gestured at the empty seat next to her. "Sit Wheein. I'm in no mood to leave tonight. At least not until I get a few more drinks in me. Sit if you want to stay. And drink." Moonbyul chuckled lifelessly. "Bartender! Another bottle over here! And an extra glass as well!" 

Wheein could only comply. She sat down, accepting the glass Moonbyul's shaking hand poured for her and downing it in one gulp. I guess I'll just wait until she falls asleep before I try to get her home, since she's being so stubborn. 

But apparently Moonbyul had other things on her mind other than drinking till she passed out, now that Wheein had come. "Wheein, Wheein. I-I-I should have apologized more. Now I know how ty it feels to get rejected like that. It's hilarious isn't it? Karma really decided hit me fast that night." 

"Moonbyul..."

"You know what else is funny? Your ceo called me. He asked me to go help be a panel member for Solar's We Got Married. Right after she rejected me." Moonbyul grimaced as she took another shot. "Well, Eric and Solar really seem cute together. I guess she must have lied when she told me she didn't like him." She slammed her empty bottle down on the counter.

"You need to stop beating yourself up over this!" Wheein wrestled the next unopened bottle from Moonbyul's grip. "There are better ways to deal with this than drinking it away! You could talk, you know? I'm here to listen--damn it, let go Moonbyul!"

"Talk? Listen?" Moonbyul's sad smile flitted across her face as she fumbled to open the bottle she had won back from Wheein. "I don't deserve that. In fact, why are you even here Wheein? I'm not a worthy enough friend. You should know."

"Grow up Moonbyul! I came because I'm responsible enough to care! And you should learn to be responsible too! You think Solar would ever fall for you if she could see what you're like right now? A drunken mess who doesn't know any other way to cope?"

"Ah... So you're saying you knew Solar didn't love me? That I was wasting my time when I tried to confess?"

"N-No, Moonbyul, stop twisting my words--"

"Then why, Wheein, why are you here then, with this drunken mess who can't cope with anything but alcohol?" Moonbyul leaned closer, so close that the liquor in her breath made Wheein dizzy. "Just a friend then? You're being way too compliant for a friend who's trying to stop someone from drinking her life away, aren't you?"

Her words and close proximity made Wheein freeze. Was she being a friend, just a friend to Moonbyul? A friend, comforting her after a recent heartbreak? Wheein herself had been the one to ask Moonbyul to start over as friends. Yet, she was the one having the hardest time. 

Because just meeting Moonbyul in person for the first time after their agreement was stirring the feelings she had repressed. Just being by her, talking to the drunkenly honest girl made her remember their times together. Remembering how she had fallen in love then. Trying to ignore how she was falling in love again.

And then Moonbyul had to make it more confusing. For she leaned in even closer than they already were, placing a wet kiss on Wheein's lips. 

The action left Wheein clutching the table for support. She watched mutely as Moonbyul decided to finally fall asleep after her drinking escapade. She stared aimlessly in silence as they took a taxi home. When she carried the passed out, limp Moonbyul inside the apartment and onto the bed, Moonbyul's sleeping, innocent face looked back at her. 

But what, what could that kiss mean? 


 

*This is one of my longer chapters I think. And here's that plot twist that a few of you seemed to have expected in the comments, maybe in a different form. Moonsun lovers, though, fear not! Because that ship has not yet sunk either. Probably. I should stop writing late at night when my mind's a jumbled mess hehe. Next update might take a little longer as I need some time to plan what's next. Thanks for reading and commenting once again!