Ch 17

She loved her music

 

It was remarkably awkward in Kim Do Hoon's office.

On one side, there was Solar, stiffly directing her utmost attention to her ceo while opening and clenching her clammy fists.

On the other, Moonbyul had her hand tightly wrapped over Wheein's, their shoulders pressed against each other while she faked Solar's nonexistence.

Hwasa didn't know what she was doing in the room. But she stood between the two, a slight step back as she watched the three tense girls before her bowing their heads in front of their ceo.

Bam. He tossed the newspaper onto his desk, turned towards the four girls so that they could read the giant blocks of black text adorning the front page.

 

"Solar of Trendy Girl Group Mamamoo Caught in a Dating Scandal?"

 

Right below it was a dark, grainy image of Solar locking lips with another person, whose face was blurred.

But everyone in the room knew who it was.

 

"Moonbyul."

"Yes sir!" She snapped back to attention, Wheein's grip turning vice-like as the picture continued staring back up at them.

"You, aren't you from SM? Don't you have connections? Can't you somehow make this--" he gestured towards the newspaper, "--this all go away?"

Moonbyul bit her lower lip, desperately trying to form a solution.

"I could probably arrange for that to happen. But at this point, if all this gets mysteriously swept away, people will get suspicious."

"I guess that's true." The ceo leaned back into his office chair, grinding his teeth in frustration. "I expected them to not give us a heads up about the story because we're such a small company and all, but why didn't they contact you guys?"

"I'm not really a public figure. I doubt their source knew I was part of SM or this would have never happened."

"And so if you get rid of it now, they'll probably suspect Solar being with someone from one of the big companies."

"Right."

"What a mess. It might even have been a good idea that we didn't go public with you and Wheein earlier. If they identified you...god the chaos that would come out of that. I don't even want to imagine the headlines that would come out of that." 

Moonbyul felt Wheein's body beside her shiver and she turned to see her girlfriend's eyes a watery red and lips pressed tightly together in a thin line. Feeling another pang run through her heart, Moonbyul released Wheein's hand and instead wrapped her arms around the shorter girl, gently bringing Wheein's head down to rest against her chest, caressing her head in an attempt to calm her trembling.

 

 

 

-Flashback-

She had gone to confess the matter to Wheein right after she had finished dropping off Luna. Calling ahead, she met the yawning girl outside her dorm. "I don't know how, or why it had happened. It was an accident, and it meant nothing." She had insisted, repeating the statement as she firmly held Wheein's gaze, making sure there would be no confusion.

After Moonbyul had left, showering Wheein with a volley of apologies and kisses, Wheein had gone to Solar's room, slightly hesitant. Solar had returned before Moonbyul had come to visit. However, she had not said anything and had just retreated into her room the moment she got back.

"Solar unnie?"

The girl jumped up in her chair at Wheein's voice, nearly spilling her tea onto her desk. "W-Wheein? O-Oh, what's up?"

Wheein went over and sat down onto Solar's bed. "Moonbyul came to visit me just now."

"D-Did she?" This time, Solar's hands did spill her tea over as she jerked backwards.

She's terrible at lying. Wheein couldn't help but feel a faint smile rise at Solar's clearly flustered manner. "She told me everything."

"W-Wheein, ah that was--"

"Don't worry, unnie. She said it was just some mistake that didn't mean anything at all."

No meaning at all? Solar's expression soured just a bit but she hung her head so Wheein could not see. "I see. That's good then. Everything's fine between you two?"

"Yep. It was so cute when she came so worried! She was shaking my shoulders so desperately telling me not to take it the wrong way. I had no idea what she was even talking about then." Wheein threw her head back laughing at the memory of Moonbyul's worry-stricken expression that had melted into utter relief when she had forgiven the matter.

However, Wheein's face turned serious as she directed her gaze back to Solar, who was avoiding her eyes while cleaning up the spilled tea. "Unnie. Why didn't you just tell me about it first? When you just came back?"

Solar's hand froze. The soft pattering of tea droplets falling off the desk edge punctuated the suffocating silence that followed.

She wasn't sure how to respond. It might have just been guilt, eating at her, rightly so for stealing a kiss from her friend's girlfriend. From Wheein's description, she realized that Moonbyul had been quite vague. She hadn't said that she, Solar, had been the one to forcefully initiate the kiss.

Solar was shocked at the slight tinge of satisfaction that flitted through her. What was wrong with her. To be so elated, triumphant even at that smallest thing.

And then she acknowledged the other little feeling nagging at her. It was disappointment. Disappointment that Moonbyul had immediately come to Wheein and told her. Disappointment that Moonbyul could brush it off so easily. Deep down, Solar realized that she had not told Wheein earlier because she was selfish and hopeful. Hopeful that maybe, just maybe, that kiss could have remained a secret between only her and Moonbyul.

"Sorry, Wheein. I was just tired and overwhelmed. It was a long day for me."

"Oh it's ok. Good night then!" Wheein bounced off her bed and left the room.

There was nothing else Solar could say. No way to rid herself of these budding, blooming, cursed feelings.

And Wheein, who's smile slid off as she left the room, couldn't say anything either. Solar really was too terrible at lying.

-Flashback end-

 

 

 

Wheein had thought being informed of the kiss would have readied her for this, but the stark reality of the photo in front of them was difficult to bear. She clutched onto Moonbyul's shirt and fought to keep her shaking expression steady in front of their ceo.

Noticing that no one else seemed willing to speak up after that little exchange, Hwasa decided to spit out the question everyone had on their minds.

"So what happens now, ceo?"

Three heads turned towards the man who had his elbows on his desk, head rested on the tops of his interlaced fingers. 

"We're going to have to release a statement soon."

The tension in the room escalated, so heavy they could barely find themselves able to breathe as they waited for his decision. 

"Solar. I'm going to call the producers of We Got Married to settle the situation on that end as well. It's kind of ironic though, of all the shows this could have happened in, it was this one. Not even a movie romance. You know how invested people get in wgm? Damn. They're going to have my ." 

"Sir, but--"

"Anyone who's seen this picture will know that Eric isn't the one you're kissing. And there'll be more hell in the papers if you continue filming wgm while you're 'already' in a relationship."

Moonbyul's eyebrows rose up. "You mean to say you're going to confirm Solar's relationship then?"

"Well what else are we supposed to do? You two are clearly kissing in that picture." He jabbed his finger at the paper. "Even good friends don't randomly kiss each other on the lips. There's really no way to blow this off."

"So." Moonbyul stepped forward, palms striking the top of the wooden desk as she stared the ceo straight in his eye. "What you're saying is--"

"Please Moonbyul."

Oh my god. Moonbyul stumbled backwards, hands massaging her temple to ease the headache that had suddenly throbbed to life.

"All you have to do is play along. I don't know when, or if they already have released an unblurred image of you. It would be foolish to try to find a substitute in case they have."

"Sir!"

"Ceo-nim!"

"SIR!"

The chorus of exclamations from the mamamoo members drowned out his next statement. He let his gaze drop towards the table, unable to meet the disbelief in their eyes. Most of all, he couldn't find the courage within himself to see Wheein's expression.

"Just a month. Or two. That's all you need to pretend for. That should be enough time to let Solar and Moonbyul 'break up' naturally."

Hwasa stomped forward. "Isn't this too hasty? And selfish? How could you do this to Wheein? Have you thought about how she's going to feel?"

"I-I'm truly sorry, Wheein. I understand that this...plan will hurt you. I don't like it either, but it's the only way out of this mess. For the sake of the group." He slumped back dejectedly as Hwasa turned around with a disgusted scowl.

"Sir, Hwasa is right, I can't do this to Wheein--" Moonbyul in a deep breath as Wheein came to her and buried her face in her sweater once more.

"It's alright, Moonbyul," Wheein murmured softly. "For the group. You have to."

The ceo, face lightening up a bit at Wheein's agreement, hastily continued, "Of course, Solar and Moonbyul will only be acting as a couple in public! We'll limit the public appearances and what not. Wheein, you and Moonbyul are still free to have your dates and such, but please try not to go out too much and get caught by another reporter."

Moonbyul's tense and impatient tone rang out through the room. "Is that all?"

At his nod, Moonbyul bowed. "I'll ask around on my end. Use my connections or something to make sure this doesn't get too big. Good day, sir." 

She left along with Wheein.

The only people left in the room were the ceo, Hwasa, and Solar.

"Solar. I trust that you will handle this appropriately?" The ceo looked towards the unusually quiet girl for assent.

A mute nod was all that she gave in reply.

Hwasa felt her eye twitch in suspicion at Solar's strange behavior. Being the only person left out of the loop until this morning, she wasn't sure what had happened communications-wise between the other girls beforehand. But Solar's calmness about the whole situation was on another level. 

However, she let that seed of doubt remain untouched in her mind as she and Solar also left the room. There would be time to talk. Just not now.

----------

 

"Rainbow Bridge World Confirms that Solar is in a Relationship"

 

"Mamamoo's Solar's Abrupt Withdrawal from Virtual Marriage Show, We Got Married." 

 

Tapping the side of her temple in frustration, Moonbyul tossed the day's newpapers onto her desk in a disarray. "Great. Just ing great."

Seulgi leaned forward on her chair to gather the papers into her hand for a closer look. Wordlessly, she handed it to Wendy and Irene, who were also in the room, eliciting a chain of gasps and a row of curious eyes upon Moonbyul. 

"Moonbyul, you were dating her?" Wendy eyes widened almost comically as she pressed Moonbyul for details. 

"No...this is..." Seulgi scratched her head hesitantly, not sure how to word the situation. Moonbyul had only told her about her relationship with Wheein just recently, not yet finding the time to inform the other RV members. She looked over at Moonbyul, hoping she would be able to explain the situation. However, the girl was slumped over in her chair, forehead laid down on her desk. 

"Tell them, Seulgi. I'm so done with this crap." The muffled voice bounced off the table.

"Moonbyul's not dating Solar. She's dating Wheein." Seulgi inched backwards towards Moonbyul, sensing the bombardment of questions that would follow. Looking at the still prone girl that made no move to acknowledge anything, Seulgi clicked her tongue in annoyance. At least come help clear up your own mess Moonbyul. 

"Wait." Irene slid out another paper from underneath the stack on Moonbyul's desk. "This is Solar though." Pointing at the unblurred face printed on the front, she tilted her head in confusion. "And that's you." She pointed at the other face, who they could all recognize as Moonbyul despite the edit. 

"Uh...I don't know about that either. I don't understand why she's kissing Solar--" Seulgi gave Moonbyul's back a pointed glare as it twitched in response to her words, "--but the fact is, Moonbyul told me she's with Wheein. Why don't you explain, Moonbyul? To us, your friends?"

Raising her head up reluctantly, she muttered, "Solar kissed me out of nowhere. And it was the tiest luck ever that a reporter just happened to be nearby and got the camera shot." 

"She kissed you? But didn't she reject you earlier? That day you asked us out for drinks?" Wendy's confusion was evident in her tone. 

"How am I supposed to know?"

"Moonbyul..." 

"Least I got to the press first and threatened them so they won't leak anything else about me. If they find out about Wheein.." She clicked her tongue, drawing her thumb across her neck. "Anyways, I talked with Kim Do Hoon. He says I only have to keep this up for a month or so."

"I know it's probably necessary, but it just doesn't sit right with me," huffed Wendy, arms across her chest. "What about Wheein?"

"It's for the sake of their group. I'm sure that's what they're thinking, or else they wouldn't have agreed. It's a leader's responsibility, to deal with these things." Irene patted the frowning Wendy on her head. 

Seulgi eyed Moonbyul's stiffened facial features. "You're still together. So that's good. But it'll be tough for you guys to actually go out, right? We're here for you. If you need help..."

Shrugging, Moonbyul piled the papers up before sweeping them off her desk into her trash can. 

Taking her silence as a cue to leave, the three headed out her studio door while the producer fell back into deep contemplation.

----------

 

 

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me!" Solar slid the chair back as she sat down opposite of Eric. The aroma of coffee beans and freshly baked cinnamon rolls filled the air as the thin morning light seeped into the cafe.

"No problem." He waited until Solar was suitably seated before continuing. "So, I'm curious too. Tell me about all this. Whatever this, this 'scandal' really is."

"I'll get to that. But first off, I wanted to apologize to you in person for suddenly pulling out of We Got Married." She bowed her head low, only to hear Eric's slight chuckle.

"Don't worry too much! Things always happen."

"Thanks for understanding." She lifted her bent head with a shadowy smile. "So about this, well, it's kind of a fake scandal."

"I figured. Since Moonbyul's still together with Wheein, isn't she?"

"Yeah."

"But you and Moonbyul are the ones in the picture."

"Yeah."

"Now I'm more confused." Eric tilted his head, watching Solar's unusually solemn expression. 

"My ceo told us to fake a relationship for a bit because of the photo evidence. You saw for yourself, It's pretty damning evidence."

"But how did it happen?"

"Sorry?"

"How did the kiss happen?"

"W-What?" Solar flinched from Eric's unexpected query.

"She's going out with Wheein. The important question here is who forced the kiss? Or was it mutual?"

"It wasn't mutual."

"Oh?"  He leaned backwards, sipping his iced Americano while his eyes remained focused on observing Solar.

Solar said nothing. However, a rapid series of emotions flashed across her face. Concern, fatigue, stress, disappointment, guilt. 

Aha. Eric set down his now empty coffee. "At least it's a good thing Moonbyul and Wheein are still true to each other." He stood up and Solar's eyes followed his movement, unease filling those brown orbs. "You must have had your reasons, I know. And I've only known you for a short while so it might not be prudent of me to be saying this to you. But just know, you really need to get yourself together. Make sure what you feel is actually what you feel. And watch who you hurt or be ready to live with the regret."

Solar stared down at her drink while the ring of bells signaled Eric's departure from the cafe.

----------

 

 

"Hwasa. We've been friends since forever. You'd tell me everything, right?"

Hwasa lifted her head up from the list of songs to look at Wheein, who was wobbling left and right as she held on to one of the karaoke mikes. "Do you even need to ask? Come sit down Wheein. You look like you're about to collapse any second." 

Wheein lazily stumbled onto a chair, hiccuping as she did so. 

"You drank a bit too much."

"Nooooooo, I didn't. I'm not drunk, Hwasa."

"Whatever you say. What did you mean by that earlier? About me telling you everything?"

"It means, if it came to it, would you take my side or Solar's?" 

"Yah Wheein you're definitely drunk." Hwasa moved over to sit next to Wheein, tugging the bottle out of her hand. "Or else you wouldn't be spouting all this crap right now."

"But you've noticed right?"

"That you're drunk? Well duh."

"No. I mean about this morning."

"Ah." Hwasa paused, choosing her words carefully. "You mean about Solar? Well, there was something definitely a bit off about her. But I thought it could have just been the shock of the situation."

"Really? Is that it"

"Is there something else?"

"Something just feels off. Like she's holding something back." Wheein stuck out her lower lip in a pout. In her drunken state, she couldn't quite put her finger on what it was that was bothering her, but it unsettled her all the same. "I don't even know how I'm supposed to feel, how I'm supposed to deal with this. Am I supposed to just sit on the sidelines while she goes on public dates with my Moonbyul just to appease those damn thirsty reporters? What, should I just laugh along when we all hang out together outside and watch them flirt just in case the cameras are there?"

"That's all you can do. I'm on your side, Wheein. But this is beyond me. Whatever it is between you, Solar, and Moonbyul is something only you guys can settle." Hwasa took the bottle she had wrested from Wheein and chugged it down. "Let's not talk about that now. We rarely get this free time together."

She handed Wheein another bottle and clinked their glasses together. "To a night with 2 young girls!" They knocked their drinks back, resuming a hyper night of singing, dancing, and drinking, trying to ignore the events of the morning. 

 


 

*Lol. I should have planned this story out better before I started. I literally don't know where I'm going or where I want to end. I actually sometimes write based off what you guys comment, or something similar, so do comment! Maybe I'll get some better ideas. But anyways, I hope you enjoy!

 

 

 

Ps: Does anyone know any good people to follow on twitter for mamamoo updates or just interesting tidbits/pics? Just curious~~