Ch 13

She loved her music

Wheein looked at Moonbyul expectantly, waiting for her to speak up first. Neither of the two paid any attention to Wheein's phone vibrating nonstop on the table. 

"I've thought about it, like you suggested." Moonbyul exhaled slowly, trying to release the stress and tension that was building up just by sitting across from her. This seemed a lot easier when I imagined it earlier. "But I'm not a hundred percent sure on my decision..."

"That's all right," said Wheein comfortingly. Not a hundred percent...?

"First off, thanks again for helping me out last night after I got wasted at the bar." Moonbyul played around with her shirt nervously. "Even though I was such an , you still coming for me meant a lot to me. Sorry you had to see me at my worst."

"Don't worry too much about it."

But how can I not? Moonbyul expected Wheein to say a little more than that, to give at least a little hint about how she felt about the situation. When only silence descended once more, Moonbyul gathered her resolve to ask, "You know what I'll have to ask about next right?"

Wheein nodded. Come on Moonbyul. You're stalling again.

"Last night...was a mess. I was a mess. I know you asked for us to start over after I screwed up our friendship, and I kind of just ended up screwing it up some more. Sorry."

"Why?" whispered Wheein softly. 

"Sorry?"

"Why?" repeated Wheein, this time a little more firmly. "What I want to know is, why did you kiss me?"

Moonbyul stared at the girl, feeling a wave of guilt wash over her. How could she have been so selfish? To have actually wanted to admit her growing feelings for the other girl? It was laughable, Moonbyul thought, to even think that Wheein would want anything to do with her. Considering Moonbyul's emotional roller coaster ride before that kiss. Considering the number of drinks Wheein had seen Moonbyul down. 

"R-right. It was a crappy night for my emotions and I'm sorry--"

"Moonbyul." Wheein's voice rang out in the empty apartment. "I didn't say I wanted to hear your apology again! Stop avoiding it again! Be straightforward with me, for once! You owe it to me." Her pleading voice struck Moonbyul to the core.

"I am trying to be straightforward, Wheein! But my story sounds ridiculous even to me! Like, even I can't believe--"

"What can't you believe?"

"That I have feelings for you!" Moonbyul finished the sentence with clenched teeth, eyes squeezed shut as she could not bear to see the reaction of the little girl to her words.

"Why can't you believeit?" After a while, Wheein's calm voice brushed past Moonbyul's ears again.

"Well, does it seem believable to you?" Moonbyul laughed emptily. "I get rejected. I watch my crush enjoying her date with someone else. I go drink over my heartbreak. Then after all this, I kiss someone. Someone who probably and rightfully holds a grudge against me. And then I go say I love her too?"

Wheein watched Moonbyul rant self-deprecatingly. Moonbyul's eyes were still shut and fists were clenched, clutching the edge of her shirt hard enough to rip it apart.

"So, Jung Wheein, does any of this sound believable to you? Am I not shameless?" 

Moonbyul could feel her whole frame shaking as she tried to hold back the torrent of emotions that threatened to topple the calm demeanor she had put on. In the darkness, she felt Wheein's hand land gently upon hers. 

"Moonbyul. Open your eyes." Wheein rubbed Moonbyul's palm. "Look at me."

Moonbyul shook her head, fighting to keep the rising tears from leaking out. She could not even find the courage to speak up, not trusting her wavering voice to betray her. The warmth in Wheein's voice cut into her heart even more than if she had just coldly responded. In fact, Wheein should have just yelled at her. She deserved to get yelled out. It would not hurt as much if she had.

But Wheein did not yell. Instead, Moonbyul felt Wheein's hands lift off hers, instead resting themselves on either side of her face. Surprised, Moonbyul instinctively opened her eyes to find Wheein's own eyes looking into hers only a few inches away. "W-wh--"

"Why are you like this when I haven't even said anything yet?" Wheein caught a tear rolling out of the corner of Moonbyul's eye with her thumb, brushing it aside. "Listen to me."

Wheein could sympathize with everything Moonbyul had said. It was all true. Moonbyul was definitely drunk that night. Emotions from Solar's rejection were likely a large part of what was driving Moonbyul that night. Wheein too knew the pain of rejection. 

She had not trusted herself either at first. She could not trust herself to meet Moonbyul. Even telling herself everyday to start over, to forget those emotions, could not stop them from rising back up when she met Moonbyul again. 

Maybe she was overly hopeful. Or maybe she was just crazy. No, she had to be crazy. Because who in their right mind would be like her? Believing in those words in that situation? I must be a fool, Wheein thought. A fool that only knows how to throw herself back into a battlefield that could leave her even more broken. 

But Wheein wanted to try. To believe. "I don't hate you for what you did, Moonbyul. And I know I said to start over."

As Moonbyul started to speak up, Wheein brought her fingers to Moonbyul's mouth to shush her. "But, I was wrong too. I couldn't be decisive or make up my mind either. I couldn't hold back these feelings that I still have for you." At that, Moonbyul's eyes widened and she tried to speak again, only for Wheein to press down on her lips a bit more. "I know that this could be a mistake. I know, that I could just be your rebound. But I'm willing to take a chance."

"Wheein." Moonbyul finally freed her lips. "Are you sure?"

"I'm not as rash as you. Shouldn't I be asking you that?" joked Wheein, trying to soften the atmosphere. "So what now?"

"Now?"

Wheein sighed dramatically. "Seriously Moonbyul, I don't understand how you're such a successful producer when you can be so dumb and slow sometimes." She sat back, legs crossed. "What are we now?" 

Moonbyul paused as she pondered. The whole thing still felt a little bit off to her and she didn't quite feel right. But she could not ignore how her heart jumped when earlier, Wheein had not directly shot her words down. Nor could she ignore how her heart now raced when Wheein's expectant eyes bored into hers. "W-We are...we are...are we together?" 

Wheein giggled at Moonbyul's shyness. Then she wrapped her arms around Moonbyul's neck for a hug. She whispered into Moonbyul's ear, "I guess so. Treat me well, alright?"

Moonbyul didn't respond, but the tips of her ears flushed red.

 

---------------

"Ahh, Wheein, I said I don't want to." Moonbyul whined as she turned the wheel, rolling into the parking lot. 

After the two had made up, Moonbyul volunteered to cook lunch for the two of them. Well, she had been concentrating on cooking lunch for the two of them, had Wheein not flustered her every couple minutes by suddenly hugging her from behind or landing a soft kiss on Moonbyul's cheek. 

While they ate, Wheein would occasionally pick up a piece of food with a bashful face, bringing it towards Moonbyul's lips. Moonbyul could only open for her, eyes glancing left and right, unable to focus on the girl in front of her. And when Moonbyul would bite down, accepting the food from Wheein, the girl would sit back with a satisfied smile, eyes crinkled into crescents. 

Now, Moonbyul had volunteered to drive Wheein back to her dorms. She knew the others must be out of their mind, after Wheein had told her during lunch about how she hadn't told anyone where she had gone that night. Moonbyul was thankful that Wheein's schedule today was empty, or else she could only imagine the scolding she herself would get from Mamamoo's manager.

But Wheein kept insisting that Moonbyul ought to go in to the dorm with her. They both knew Solar would also be in the dorm. Moonbyul had enough of awkward situations for the day; she didn't want to suffer more. It was still too soon, Moonbyul thought. She couldn't quite understand exactly why Wheein, who was now her girlfriend, would want her to meet her ex-crush so soon either. 

Unfortunately, Moonbyul could not resist as Wheein dragged her by her arm up the stairs to the front of their dorm door. Nor could she run as Wheein clung tightly onto her arm, leaning into her side as they waited for someone to open the door. 

"Wheein! You're finally home! Why were you ignoring my--Moonbyul? Wait what?" Hwasa looked bewildered, eyes going from first Wheein, then to Moonbyul, back and forth. Then, they looked down at their entwined arms and hands. 

"Sorry Hwasa, something came up. I'll make it back to you. Promise!" Wheein brushed past the shocked Hwasa, still keeping her hold on Moonbyul, who could only nod in greeting to Hwasa as they entered further into the dorm. 

"Hwasa, is that Wheein? Is she finally back?" Solar entered the living room, arms crossed, a stern expression on her face. "You have some explaining to do--" Her feet jerked to a halt as Moonbyul and Wheein came into view, Hwasa looking just as lost behind the pair. "Uh..."

"Sorry, unnie. It was wrong of me to be so irresponsible and not tell anyone where I was last night." Wheein brought one of her arms around Moonbyul's waist, hugging her tightly. "Everything was alright. I was with Moonbyul. Didn't Hwasa tell you?"

Moonbyul stayed silent the whole time. Truthfully, she had initially been mortified by the thought of seeing Solar so soon, without enough time to process her feelings. However, Wheein's arm wrapped around her stopped the shivering that had risen at Solar's voice. The little squeeze between their intertwined hands gave her courage to look up, to meet Solar's confused gaze. 

"Wheein was with me. Sorry about the worry we caused." Moonbyul stuttered out. "I-I have to go to work now. We'll catch up some other time. Sorry, Wheein." 

Moonbyul hugged Wheein, who was elated at the fact that Moonbyul had initiated the contact. As Moonbyul pulled away to leave, Wheein held onto Moonbyul's sleeve. "One second Moonbyul." Wheein tiptoed and gave her a peck, this time on the lips. "Be safe and I'll see you after work." 

Moonbyul nodded, face a bright red and rushed out of the dorm. 

After the door slammed shut, Wheein turned back around to greet her frozen members, resigning herself to the long explanations that were likely to follow. 


 

*Just a little bit cheesy this time around. Wheebyul