Ch 1

She loved her music


Moon Byulyi loved producing music. Whenever she had the chance, she would always seclude herself in her room with her instruments, picking out chords from her current feelings, drawing new melodies onto the blank pages of sheet music in front of her.

Some of her friends called her a workaholic.  She would rarely be seen at all, even by her closest friends, instead staying cooped up with her music, forgoing sleep and food.

Her dedication towards music got her far. Even though she was only in her early 20's, her success in producing hit songs for SM entertainment had lofted her position within the company. The ceo grew to be rather fond of her and treated her like a daughter.

Despite all this, Moonbyul had a rather shy and humble personality. She generally felt uncomfortable speaking to the public, prompting her to avoid any public appearances(even though her friends told her that with her face she might as well have debuted as an idol). To everyone else, she was just another face, another employee of SM. This gave her freedom.

One thing Moonbyul emphasized in her music was individuality. Music, she believed, was something that should reflect the singer's character. And so, she would insist working directly with her clients.

Today, she was meeting with the Red Velvet members to work on their newest album, The Red. Moonbyul grew especially close with the members who were around her own age. They had become friends over the years at SM, encouraging each other to continue on and reach their dreams.

When Red Velvet finally debuted, Moonbyul was the first to scream and congratulate them. The CEO noticed her chemistry with the members and made Moonbyul their main producer. The next song she wrote with them, Ice Cream Cake, gave them their first win. Moonbyul was the first one waiting backstage with a bouquet of flowers and a beaming smile on her face.

Now, she and Red velvet were ready to release their first full length album. They were days away from their comeback and were polishing the final touches on the album and the choreo. 

"We only have a few days left and we still haven't decided on the full choreography for our title song" groaned Seulgi as she plopped down onto the practice room floor.

Irene looked up worriedly "Will we really be ok? I know our fans must be expecting a lot from us after Ice cream cake. We can't disappoint them like this".

Moonbyul just smiled at the two of them and at the two maknaes Joy and Yeri running around the room with limitless energy. "Relax, I'm sure you'll be fine. There's only a few more places to work out in the song choreo. You should focus on learning to sing the song well too you know." She pouted. "After all, I did make "Dumb Dumb" just for you guys". 

Seulgi and the rest looked at her with her scrunched up nose muscles and just laughed wildly. Wendy smirked, "Yah, Moonbyul, you know pouting just ruins that girl crush image you have going on".

"Tsk what image". She tried not to blush and punched Seulgi in the shoulder as they all laughed again. "Just remember to do well on your comeback stage eh". 

"Ah right!" Irene looked up from her phone. "Mamamoo will also be having their comeback around this time aren't they?"

"Mama who?" Moonbyul frowned in concentration at the unknown name.

"Mamamoo! You know, the group that debuted around the same time we did!" Wendy explained.

"Oh, I didn't know you guys were so friendly" Moonbyul chuckled. "Glad to know that you can actually get along so well. After all, you will be competing in a sense." 

"Of course, I know they're rivals, but they're also friends. I like their music too! It's so jazzy and classy" added Seulgi. 

"After hearing you praise them so much, I guess I might as well go check them out. Can't hurt to help you check out your competition. But I'm sure my song is better," Moonbyul said cheekily. "I'll tag along with your manager-unnie for the first week of promotions or so anyways, since I'm free. The staff will probably need all the help it can get for you guys." She rolled over, phone in hand, checking her schedules. 

"Red Velvet! What are you doing lazying around? The manager popped her head into the room, noticing the 6 sprawled bodies on the dance floor. "And Moonbyul! If you're not helping choreograph, then stop bothering them for now. You guys can all hang out after they finish. This. Time. Is. Crucial." The manager emphasized each of her last words by pounding her fist into her open palm.

Moonbyul scrambled up and looked guiltily towards the manager. "Whoops, I got carried away." 

Grumbling, the members of Red velvet also got off the floor and began to rehearse the dance once again.

Moonbyul stayed for a minute to watch them dance. As she left, she thought to herself, Mamamoo? Hmm...sounds interesting. Maybe I'll have Seulgi or Irene introduce them if we meet. 


*This is my first time posting a story after lurking around for a long time! Please feel free to comment below. I know I tagged mamamoo and haven't introduced them yet, but that will come soon! I have ideas on what I want to happen, but am unsure about which pairing I want more right now ;). Thanks again for reading!

*I also made some short formatting changes because I realized blocks of text are annoying.