: february 1st.

a year of us

all i want, 

is nothing more 

than to hear you knocking at my door,

'cause if i could see your face once more,

i'd die a happy man i'm sure. 

•••

baekhyun  and sehun had been doing absolutely nothing all day. 

they'd done "jack ", as sehun put it.

the Beatles played loudly as the two young men danced around their living room, arms tucked to their sides and empty sleeves swinging, which was comedy gold to two nineteen year olds with the mental ages of ten year olds. 

sehun span around, his 'arms' trailing after him, causing baekhyun to crack up, wheezing as sehun began bobbing up and down to the music. 

"you look like-" baekhyun snorted, a witches' cackle echoing "an octopus on drugs" 

this, of course, was followed by even more laughter, which ended in the two collapsing, tears streaming from eyes and hands slapping the floor. 

the pair fell into a hazy silence, which was sometimes broken by an unstable chuckle; the Beatles continued to play. 

there was a sharp knock at the door, and sehun rose to his feet, stumbling a little, causing baekhyun to roar with laughter. 

an exasperated sigh could be heard through the door. 

"kyungsoo, the door's open, you know that!" sehun called to the tell-tale disapproval of do kyungsoo. 

"yeah," he gruffly responded, but the door remained shut. "but i'm not alone and you two sound... slightly terrifying, to be honest." 

"just come in!" baekhyun yelled from his place on the floor. 

the door clicked open and kyungsoo peeked his head around, eyes taking in the scene of blankets everywhere, baekhyun on the ground, the Beatles playing from a phone somewhere, and empty cup noodles scattered around. 

"what the , guys?" he straightened his back and let the door swing wide open.  

sehun doubled over, slapping his knees. 

"baek!" he howled. "baek look at his face!" 

baekhyun's eyes were supposed to fall on kyungsoo's completely done mother-like expression, but instead, his vision landed on the two men behind his other best friend. 

chanyeol raised his arm in a shy wave at a grounded baekhyun, an amused smirk splayed on his lips. baekhyun almost choked on his own saliva. 

the man next to him shared a bemused look with kyungsoo. his olive skin, dark eyes and angular features made him look intriguing, like the kind of man you'd be slightly afraid of but interested in. he looked like the strange quiet neighbour with a dark secret... like he was really an astronaut, or a poet, or something. the way he moved seemed elegant; a dancer, baekhyun thought. 

"this," kyungsoo gestured sehun and baekhyun "is sehun and baekhyun. don't ever let them cook for you," 

chanyeol chuckled, eyes trained on a slowly reddening baekhyun. 

"this," kyungsoo continued, "is cha-"

"i know," baekhyun blurted. 

sehun eyed him and smirked at kyungsoo, who rolled his eyes at the flustered boy infront of him, unaware of the flustered boy behind him. 

"as i was saying, this as you clearly already know is chanyeol, and jongin," baekhyun noticed the way kyungsoo's eyes softened as he mentioned jongin. 

"i've known jongin for a while, and he's friends with chanyeol," kyungsoo explained as baekhyun finally rose from the floor, straightening awkwardly, but smiling at jongin nonetheless. "so i thought, hey, baek knows chanyeol, and chanyeol knows jongin, and i know jongin, and sehun- well, sehun knows me and baek. and so, we decided it would be cool to become a super cool mega squad!" 

sehun overdramatically rolled his eyes, earning a snicker from baekhyun. 

jongin laughed, his canines prominently gleaming, "hey," he greeted them. 

kyungsoo sauntered right into the apartment, muttering as he scooped up the discarded cup noodle pots. 

"oh!" he turned to the two men lingering at the doorway. "make yourselves at home!"

"this isn't even your home," baekhyun scowled at kyungsoo's back as he pondered to the kitchen, sehun scurrying after him to plead that he hadn't made the mess. 

he turned to face chanyeol and jongin with a grin. 

"welcome to my humble abode," baekhyun bumbled over to the door, shutting it with a soft click. "take a seat, ladies." 

chanyeol laughed. "you have a lovely house, baked bun." 

baekhyun ducked his head, plopping down on the creased sofa and patting it, an invitation for jongin and chanyeol to take a seat. 

"thankyou," baekhyun coughed slightly. "i haven't seen you in ages!" he said, splaying his arms out in exaggeration to convey his point. 

jongin laughed, his graceful fingers swirling an invisible pattern into this black jeans. 

"baekhyun, it's been," chanyeol counted the days backwards on his fingers, eyes cast upwards. "eleven days," 

"that's a long time. in baekhyun years, eleven days is twenty years. so i haven't seen you in twenty years. i've missed you for twe-"

"baek!" kyungsoo snapped, emerging from the kitchen with a slice of toast and sehun "stop with your 'baekhyun years' nonsense!" 

"you'd think he's twenty, but really, in baekhyun years, he's one hundred and fifty," baekhyun whispered to chanyeol, covering his mouth and eyeing kyungsoo as he sat down on a pillow - from baekhyun's bed - on the floor. 

"baek, shut up." 

"you missed me?" 

the two spoke at the same time, causing jongin and sehun to glance up, at eachother, then to baekhyun. 

 

jongin's thought train was obvious: he looked between chanyeol and baekhyun, 'you missed me?'. a knowing smirk crept into his lips as he connected the dots. 

jongin knew that chanyeol was gay. he also knew that he had mentioned, "this cute guy", to which jongin had just grunted, his attention on his homework. 

"no, but he's so cute.. like unbearably cute. and he likes pancakes and hot chocolate and he wears beige and his hair's fluffy and he has such pretty eyes, nini, they're beautiful!" chanyeol had blabbered on. "and he has this laugh, oh his laugh! and his favourite colour's crimson, and now everything has to be crimson, you understand me?" 

jongin had laughed his arse off. "fairs, fairs. mate, you're whipped, i need to meet this guy." 

"you will, you will, and you'll be stunned by him," chanyeol had collapsed dramatically on the sofa, letting out a strangled yell. 

jongin had only shook his head, a rumble of a laugh in his throat. 

 

"i um-" baekhyun fiddled idly with his ear lobe, eyes glued on the floor. 

everyone in the room watched baekhyun stutter and stumble over his words as his ears heated up.

chanyeol blushed, fingers wrapping around and around themselves and foot tapping subconsciously, yet gently on the floorboards. 

"i guess i did..." 

and then the room erupted in "OHH"'s and screams, sehun hitting baekhyun over the head with a cushion and chanyeol, amidst the chaos, staring dumbfoundedly at the flustered boy next to him yelling at everyone to "shut up" and declaring "i hate you all", a deep crimson engulfing him and swallowing up all coherent thought. 

baekhyun had missed him. the very thought made him want to squeal, and it was an utmost challenge not to.