: january 19th.

a year of us

the rain falling reminds me of you, 

because it is falling hard

and i am too

•••

chanyeol awoke, blinking his sleep ridden eyes as he spread out his limbs, starfishing his single bed. honestly, he didn't know why he had a single bed. he was  practically double the size of it. 

he rolled his neck, and once it clicked - chanyeol was never sure if clicking joints was healthy or not - slipped out of bed and onto the floor, letting out a gurgling huff. 

the lanky boy launched his legs off of the floor and rose to his feet in a clumsy backwards roll. 

"what a move, chanyeol," he praised himself, half sarcastically. 

he then began to laugh at the fact that he was talking to himself, before judging himself for laughing at himself.

"stop laughing," 

chanyeol tried to shake off the awkward situation by literally shaking his body around, which made him cringe even more after catching a glimpse of his movements in the mirror. 

his mother had always told him off for mumbling and fidgeting, but the habit had tagged along with him like a shadow from childhood, into adulthood. 

bumbling over to the mirror, he tutted at the bruise gracing his cheekbone. 

chanyeol thought about the day before, smiling slightly as he traced his fingers over the black and blue mark. 

it was saturday, and in chanyeol's terms, it had been a good way to spend a Friday night. or just a Friday, to be honest. 

he had taken a liking to the smallish boy with shiny (lmao i nearly wrote SHINee) eyes. there was something about the way he had surveyed the city with a look of wonder on his features, and the way he had delicately picked the gravel out of chanyeols face. so romantic, chanyeol thought, chuckling to himself. 

he had suffered several grazings on his arms and chest, as well as his face after the fall. albeit, it wasnt a serious fall, so they weren't that painful, but chanyeol, being the drama queen he was, made it a big deal, and had stuck plasters all over his arms and torso. 

the boy quickly brushed his teeth, got dressed into his extremely unique and original outfit of black jeans and a hoodie, and grabbed his guitar before unlatching the door and swishing out. 

he had developed a habit to completely forget about breakfast until it was lunch, and he was starving. 

chanyeol ruffled his bed head, making it look even more like the aftermath of a bombing. 

he ran down the stairs of the complex, checking his phone. 

10:34. 

"agh!" chanyeol sputtered at the time. he was supposed to be meeting jongin, his best friend and fellow musician, four minutes ago. normally, chanyeol wouldn't care. if anything, he would leave jongin waiting just to piss him off, but today, they had booked a session in the recording booth, which was quite a big deal for the two. 

chanyeol's phone began blaring, the name displayed on screen not surprising at all. 

"nini, dude, i'm coming! don't ing rush me," he spurted quickly. 

"chan! you can't keep me waiting, man. i'm already here and they want to get started as soon as possible. i can't really start without you," jongin responded through the phone, but just as he said this, chanyeol burst out of the building, and his vision fell on a certain byun baekhyun, laughing with two other guys, one tall and thin, with dyed platinum hair, the other short, with thick eyebrows and smiley eyes. 

"yeah, yeah," chanyeol breathed, eyes still locked on baekhyun. 

"chanyeol! do you even care about this? i'm being serious, man, this could branch into something really cool. you have ten minutes to get here or I'll eat you alive,"  

chanyeol rolled his eyes, and at that moment, baekhyun saw him.

chanyeol fidgeted under his gaze, overnight he had seemed to have forgotten how cute baekhyun was. 

he looked shocked at first, and chanyeol noticed how the taller guy nudged baekhyun's arm, and got a death glare in response. 

they were definitely in ear shot of eachother, since chanyeol heard the shorter guy say, "he's average, i guess," which was most definitely addressing the lanky boy clad in black on the phone with his angry best friend. 

"i do care, nini. i'm coming. don't eat me, that wouldn't be cool, man. see you in a bit, dip." chanyeol laughed at the strangled yelling down the phone before hanging up on his now extremely angry best friend. 

baekhyun shyly raised a hand in greeting, which chanyeol returned in finger guns and a wink, clicking his tongue. 

baekhyun laughed, which his two friends must've found strange, since they shared eye contact, then their heads followed the tennis ball between chanyeol an baekhyun. 

"see you round, baked bun!" chanyeol called, to which baekhyun responded with, 

"nice bruise, and you too," 

chanyeol chuckled, turning away and waving in baekhyun's general direction, before his phone rang again, and he picked it up to jongin's angry snarling as he broke into a run. 

***

baekhyun had invited kyungsoo over to his and sehun's as soon as chanyeol had dropped him outside his apartment, with his messy hair and bleeding cheek. 

he needed to spill everything to his two bestfriends, and they had stayed up all night teasing and giving baekhyun advice on his new crush. 

they had woken up the next morning extremely tired, and decided to take breakfast outside to the benches outside the apartment complex, to "get a nice whiff of fresh air," as sehun put it. in reality, the air was anything but fresh, in the middle of the city. 

kyungsoo was in the middle of cracking a joke about chanyeol and baekhyun sitting in a tree, when, speak of the devil, he burst out of the double doors, on the phone with someone. 

the bruise on his cheek had really become something, all over the right side of his face was a graze, slightly scabbing over, accompanied by a galaxy of chanyeol's favourite colour, deep, muted grey, slight hints of yellow and blaring red from the wound. 

baekhyun noticed chanyeol's gaze on him, and turned to face the too-tall idiot he just had to be crushing on. 

"ooh, look baekhyun," sehun whispered, digging his elbow into baekhyun's ribs, which was he received quite a scary death glare - if baekhyun said so himself. 

kyungsoo looked chanyeol up and down, scrutinising him under his intense gaze, before shrugging and off-handedly mentioned the fact that he was, "average, i guess," before biting into his bagel. 

chanyeol must have heard this, because in the midst of his call, he glanced down at his body then back up, at kyungsoo. 

"i do care, nini. i'm coming. don't eat me, that wouldn't be cool, man. see you in a bit, dip," chanyeol laughed into the phone before hanging up, and baekhyun figured this would be an okay time to say hello. 

he opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out, and thank chanyeol hadn't seen that, because he was increasingly turning rosier and rosier by the second. 

sehun and kyungsoo, however, had seen, and were silently snickering behind their palms.

baekhyun settled on a shaky wave, but he wasn't even sure chanyeol had seen it until he cutely raised his hands to form finger guns, and winked, making baekhyun's head ache from his intense try-not-to-embarrass-yourself speech being recited in his head. 

baekhyun let out a giggle, and baekhyun never giggles. this deeply surprised his comrades; their heads whipped up, eyeing chanyeol. 

and then he called out that ridiculous nickname that didn't look like it was going away anytime soon. 

baekhyun commented on his oh-so-fascinating bruise, and off he went, waving clumsily before picking up a sprint once he was at least twenty metres away. 

"cute," baekhyun muttered, and his two friends chuckled at him.

"baek, you're whipped," kyungsoo laughed, flicking the crumbs of his now devoured bagel around the wooden benchtop. 

baekhyun only sighed, his eyes lingering in the direction chanyeol had disappeared. 

 

((EXO'S COMEBACK IS SO SOON I AM SCREAMING THE LOGOS AND THE TEASERS AHH LAY ME DOWN))